SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SIRIUS Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2005 | 03:09 AM

2006 SL 500
SIRIUS Satellite Radio

I've ordered my 06 SL500 without the no cost SIRIUS because I don't like the look of the top - of - trunk mounted antennae. Does anyone know if the radio in the SL500 just has to have the SIRIUS functioned activated and have an aftermarket antennae hooked up to it to make it work? In other words, is SIRIUS already installed but not not operable because one did not order the factory mounted antennae? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-27-2005 | 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Look here. Ask to see if your dealer sells the trek antenna. My dealer sold me the kit that has a mini antenna, metal plate, and long extension wire.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/105167-sirius-radio.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/108370-my-sirius-signal-gets-block.html

Last edited by tiggerfink; 08-27-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:05 PM

none
I know on the E class you have to it activated so it works within the "ring".
The new antenna for the Sl looks like the one they used to put on the R129 for teleaid. Very small about the size of a matchbook... much better than the fugly black one.

Id go for the stealth install, Id prefer not to have some retard drilling on my trunklid.
Old 08-30-2005 | 12:13 AM

2006 SL 500
Made a Decision

Well after hearing a few things on this forum and the Audio/Electronics Forum I decided to call the dealer and ask that the no charge SIRIUS be included on my new car order. It sounds like they do the SIRIUS internal wiring in Germany and the antenna is put on at the VPC. I was nervous that if I didn't have the SIRIUS option included that I wouldn't be able to have it as part of the COMAND unit. I didn't want to have some after market SIRIUS display separate from the COMAND unit - I like the idea that everything will be integrated at the expense of having a small black antenna on the trunk lid. And, horrors upon horrors, if I just can't stand the antenna on the trunk lid I'll have it removed and patch/paint the hole and moved to a stealth location. I know a great body shop here in LA to do the work but I probably never will. I'm at peace now .

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-30-2005 | 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Question IMHO, big mistake...

Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
Well after hearing a few things on this forum and the Audio/Electronics Forum I decided to call the dealer and ask that the no charge SIRIUS be included on my new car order. It sounds like they do the SIRIUS internal wiring in Germany and the antenna is put on at the VPC. I was nervous that if I didn't have the SIRIUS option included that I wouldn't be able to have it as part of the COMAND unit. I didn't want to have some after market SIRIUS display separate from the COMAND unit - I like the idea that everything will be integrated at the expense of having a small black antenna on the trunk lid. And, horrors upon horrors, if I just can't stand the antenna on the trunk lid I'll have it removed and patch/paint the hole and moved to a stealth location. I know a great body shop here in LA to do the work but I probably never will. I'm at peace now .

Thanks for the help!
IMHO, big mistake. I have personally installed the "factory" unit. It is simple. The wiring comes from Germany. The unit is installed at the VPC. Even if the unit was installed in Germany, it can be exactly duplicated by your dealer. The dealer installed unit will interface with the COMAND unit. When all is done, you will never know the difference. Save your trunk.

I am not sure about 2006 ordering. Can you not order the unit without the antenna?

Obviously you should check this with your dealer but I am 99.999999% sure you will not have a problem installing it at the dealer. For my own car, I would be 100% sure but for you I need to leave doubt as it is not my car.

You need to check this on your own. Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:17 AM

2006 SL 500
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
IMHO, big mistake. I have personally installed the "factory" unit. It is simple. The wiring comes from Germany. The unit is installed at the VPC. Even if the unit was installed in Germany, it can be exactly duplicated by your dealer. The dealer installed unit will interface with the COMAND unit. When all is done, you will never know the difference. Save your trunk.

I am not sure about 2006 ordering. Can you not order the unit without the antenna?

Obviously you should check this with your dealer but I am 99.999999% sure you will not have a problem installing it at the dealer. For my own car, I would be 100% sure but for you I need to leave doubt as it is not my car.

You need to check this on your own. Anyone else care to chime in?
Thanks for the input Lovin - always appreciated. The reason I'm going this way is that I've been told things have changed from previous years - i.e. 06 models with SIRIUS as an option will be wired for it in Germany - if SIRIUS is not selected then they would not. I guess I should call Montvale and try and get a definitive answer on this once and for all. Anyway, probably not going to do that either. As I said I'm at peace with the small black antenna mounted on the trunk against the uncertainty that I might not get SIRIUS to work with the COMAND unit and that it might cost extra money to get it to work when I can get it all for free and under warranty.
Old 08-30-2005 | 12:52 PM

2006 SL 500
Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
Thanks for the input Lovin - always appreciated. The reason I'm going this way is that I've been told things have changed from previous years - i.e. 06 models with SIRIUS as an option will be wired for it in Germany - if SIRIUS is not selected then they would not. I guess I should call Montvale and try and get a definitive answer on this once and for all. Anyway, probably not going to do that either. As I said I'm at peace with the small black antenna mounted on the trunk against the uncertainty that I might not get SIRIUS to work with the COMAND unit and that it might cost extra money to get it to work when I can get it all for free and under warranty.
I did call Montvale just now - my statement above saying I wouldn't do it was connected to a statement I ended up deleting but forgot to delete that last sentence.

Montvale confirmed that if you order SIRIUS it is pre-wired in Germany and that they have to install the antenna on the trunk lid so that it will be done per factory specs/testing and they can stand behind it with the warranty. If the antenna is located elsewhere it would not be per factory testing and might not perform as customers and MB expects and then there would be problems and a lot of finger pointing.

If SIRIUS is not ordered then the pre-wiring is not done in Germany and then you are on your own to get SIRIUS in your car.
Old 08-30-2005 | 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
On the BMW 645 the Sirius antenna is hidden. Once again Mercedes is behind in user electronics.