SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New 2005 SL 500 NOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:10 PM
jlr

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
New 2005 SL 500 NOT

I went to day to pick up my new, 2005 SL 500. That's what my sales contract said. Unfortunatley, when I arrived at the mercedes dealer, the paperwork said the car had 191 miles on it (no biggie) but it also said the car was used. Now, I know the contract said new because I had my copy with me. However, the paperwork from the dealer going to DMV checked used. When I asked why, they said it had been titled to another dealer for some reason. Should I care whether the bill of sale and the DMV paperwork says used or new if the car only has 191 miles on it (assuming of course that my 4/50,000 warranty runs from the date I buy it, not when the dealer put it in service?) I was dealing with a salesman I have iknown and bought many cars from over the past twenty years. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by jlr
I went to day to pick up my new, 2005 SL 500. That's what my sales contract said. Unfortunatley, when I arrived at the mercedes dealer, the paperwork said the car had 191 miles on it (no biggie) but it also said the car was used. Now, I know the contract said new because I had my copy with me. However, the paperwork from the dealer going to DMV checked used. When I asked why, they said it had been titled to another dealer for some reason. Should I care whether the bill of sale and the DMV paperwork says used or new if the car only has 191 miles on it (assuming of course that my 4/50,000 warranty runs from the date I buy it, not when the dealer put it in service?) I was dealing with a salesman I have iknown and bought many cars from over the past twenty years. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have no idea whether it makes a difference. As long as your warranty is spelled out in black and white from the date of YOUR purchase, I suspect it matters not...and might wave you money actually at the DMV...
Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
jlr

I was charged the gas guzzler charge and the destination fee as well which I know is not charged on a used car. It really irks me to buy used when the contract says new.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jlr
I was charged the gas guzzler charge and the destination fee as well which I know is not charged on a used car. It really irks me to buy used when the contract says new.
hmm, I think you might argue those points, as those fees have already been paid if the car is USED.....
Old 01-03-2006, 02:34 PM

360 Spider
Originally Posted by jlr
Caveat Emptor, you have to be careful these days. If the vehicle has already been titled by definition it is not new which is why the "used" box was checked for legal purposes (DMV). If you run CARFAX it should show you as the second owner the date it was purchased or registered. You should also call a random MB dealer and have them run your VIN for the "in service date". This is the date the warranty started on a particular vehicle. The warranty may have started when the vehicle was titled to the first owner. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:35 PM
jlr

I am morally ceratin that my salesman intended to sell me a new car when we signed contract and I put down my deposit. What I am really trying to find out is what to say when/if he says to me what is the difference in being given a used car with 191 miles on it or a new car with 191 miles on it. Aside from my gut reaction objecting to the switch, I have no real good answer. Of course, I intend to hold him to the contract to deliver a new car for the specified price which I am sure he will honor since I have bough the following from him over the years:

2 S Classes
2 CL's
1 ML
1 SL (previous)
1 BMW 740I
Old 01-03-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jlr
I am morally ceratin that my salesman intended to sell me a new car when we signed contract and I put down my deposit. What I am really trying to find out is what to say when/if he says to me what is the difference in being given a used car with 191 miles on it or a new car with 191 miles on it. Aside from my gut reaction objecting to the switch, I have no real good answer. Of course, I intend to hold him to the contract to deliver a new car for the specified price which I am sure he will honor since I have bough the following from him over the years:

2 S Classes
2 CL's
1 ML
1 SL (previous)
1 BMW 740I
please let us know "the rest of the story"
Old 01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
jlr

Will do. I expect to have this resolved by tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by jlr
Will do. I expect to have this resolved by tomorrow.
I can understand the car having 191 miles. I can not understand it being used and if you were as neurotic as I am, I'd want to know why for sure.

Also, as has been pointed out before, if you are getting a used car then things like the gas guzzler tax should not be paid.

I'd be very suspicious absent a good answer. Also, it might be interesting to know the production date to find out how long it has been around and to make absolutely certain the car has never been registered in the state of Texas.

Pleasea keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:24 PM

to make absolutely certain the car has never been registered in the state of Texas.

[/QUOTE]

why Texas ?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:30 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts
Isn't car buying fun??? I would not be a happy camper with the car being titled/used and the 191 miles. I don't want some other test driver(s) full throttle redline shifts on my new motor. Even if they say the miles were put on the car by driving it from dealer A to dealer B; I'd still be worried about how the miles were put on and by whom. The one and only time I accepted a new car with more than real delivery miles (54 miles to be exact, while all the other's new cars there had between 7-14 miles...I had to have a certain color combo and would not wait for another to be delivered) the engine needed replacement at 2200miles due to cylinder wall scoring and valvetrain issues; it was on a brand new 2000 MB. The tech that performed all the work said the engines are very strong but need to be broken in as prescribed and should really not be abused when brand new, especially if bone cold. Maybe a coinsidence, maybe not? Never taking anymore chances with that again!

Either way I hope you get all these issues worked out to your satisfaction. I am neurotic as well, so maybe it's just me being too concerned. Oh no is that a faint scratch I see on my new desk...now where's the damn magnifier and polish... :p
Old 01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I would not take delivery of a used car when you've paid for a new car. Think about it.

You buy a new car, drive it off the lot, and immediately it depreciates, even if you've driven it just 5 miles, let alone 191! So now, why pay new prices for a used car? Why take the depreciation hit?? Just go get the same model used car w/ 2000 miles on it instead and save a bundle!

Also, the more owners, the less the resale value.

I would NOT take delivery of the car and I find that your dealer is doing something very, very, very illegal. I don't care how long you've been dealing with your salesman.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 PM

E350W4
Originally Posted by RJC
The one and only time I accepted a new car with more than real delivery miles (54 miles to be exact, while all the other's new cars there had between 7-14 miles...:p
Not to change the topic, but certain companies actually select 1 out of every X cars to do a 30-50 mile drive. I know Dodge does this on Viper production. They claim it helps find glitches in production. Sounds like a great job to me.

As far as not buying a car registered in Texas, they are known for "cleaning titles". A business partner of mine bought a 2002 G500 from Texas with a clean title. It turns out the car had been lemon-lawed in California (and California reflected it as such). Texas cleaned the title, and Carfax was too slow to catch.

I would think the dealer should "eat" the Gas Guzzler tax, at the very least.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by farrbar
Not to change the topic, but certain companies actually select 1 out of every X cars to do a 30-50 mile drive. I know Dodge does this on Viper production. They claim it helps find glitches in production. Sounds like a great job to me.

As far as not buying a car registered in Texas, they are known for "cleaning titles". A business partner of mine bought a 2002 G500 from Texas with a clean title. It turns out the car had been lemon-lawed in California (and California reflected it as such). Texas cleaned the title, and Carfax was too slow to catch.

I would think the dealer should "eat" the Gas Guzzler tax, at the very least.
They do the same with new Corvettes but a letter from the factory is included with every car that undergoes such a test as most new Vette owner's want no more than the standard 3-7 miles at delivery.

Last edited by RJC; 01-03-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:44 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Unless you are getting a phenominal deal on this car, don't buy it. There are tons of new ones around and no doubt whatever color/option combo could be found in less than an hour on the net. If you do end up buying it, don't pay any gas guzzler tax or any other new car tax that has been paid. I have no problem buying a low mile used car if it is perfect but I would expect to save a BUNDLE. If the first owner shows up on carfax that lowers your value before you even drive away. Some people will only buy a used car from the original owner and now you have a "story" attatched no matter how stupid it may be. I would be very leary of some possible small repair and the first owner couldn't deal with it and swaped it out. Definately find out the answers and get a smoking deal if you proceed.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I've never bought a used car before, but do you still have to pay sales tax on a used car? I know on a used airplane you have to, but thats an appreciating asset.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:17 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Depends on the state. In Md. you have to pay 5% sales tax new or used. Even if you trade something in, you still pay 5% on the cost of the new car. Some states let you pay only on the difference of the trade and some don't have sales tax.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by ChrisSL
to make absolutely certain the car has never been registered in the state of Texas.

why Texas ?
Texas is the only state in the country where you don't have to disclose certain things in the cars history. For instance, if a car is a by back as a result of a lemon law claim and it is later registered in Texas, it doesn't have to be disclosed that the car was a buy back.

Cars that were stollen in Louisiana during Katrina are showing up all over the place with prior Texas registrations.

For some reason Texas does not have the same laws as the rest of the country so be extra careful if a car has a Texas registration in its history.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Interesting

Interesting...

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Texas is the only state in the country where you don't have to disclose certain things in the cars history. For instance, if a car is a by back as a result of a lemon law claim and it is later registered in Texas, it doesn't have to be disclosed that the car was a buy back.

Cars that were stollen in Louisiana during Katrina are showing up all over the place with prior Texas registrations.

For some reason Texas does not have the same laws as the rest of the country so be extra careful if a car has a Texas registration in its history.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 AM
jlr

The deal on the "new" car was $20,000 off sticker. I found that info here on the forum and the salesman said ok. Hence, based on what is on this forum, there should be plenty of new 2005's around for that price, although I have no really good way of searching the MB new inventory of leftovers. Also, I read somewhere (can't recreate where), that dealers are getting 13K back from the mfg on the 2005 sl's so the 20K off the sticker is not so shocking. In any event, I will report back when I have word. I do not expect a problem. My choice of color is silver, which is very popular and my choice of options is comfort package, wood trim, bixenons and NO sport package. That should be pretty easy to find.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:56 AM
jlr

Found out from MBUSA that car was put in service on 4/27/05 and that the dealer can not do anything to reinstate the original warranty period from the date I buy it short of having it certified as a Starmark car which gives me another 1 year or total of 100K miles. So, if I buy it used, I already lost 8.5 months of the warranty.They ran the vin number but can not do a carfax check to see to whom the car was tiltled. Are there any free carfax sites to run the vin number to see to whom it was titled?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Not only stolen but cars with minor (and major) flood damage as well.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
uk1
Almost a Member!

04 SL500
To me this seems simple.

Either you bought, and the salesman sold you a new car . Or you bought and he sold a used car. A new car means a car not previously registered to any other owner and that carries full warranty from the delivered date etc etc. It will also only have delivery mileage, not "testing mileage". As a seperate issue, if the manufacturer wants to test the cars after they have delivered them for sale, then the dealer has to disclose this to you and make you I would have thought a special offer for the car and you then accept thisas a part of the deal if you buy. So, either you were misled, or you've had second thoughts, or there is some other explanation that you've not said.

Any sensible person buying a new car wouldn't accept a used car as a substitute at the same price as the new car they thought they'd purchased.

So what is the issue exactly?

Jeff
Old 01-04-2006, 09:59 AM
jlr

No issue at all. I was soliciting opinions on what exactly is the practical rather than rhetorical difference of accepting the "used" car with 191 miles on it or insisting on a "new" car if it had 191 miles on it (if that be the case). As an attorney, I assure you that I am well aware of the legal isues regarding enforcing a contract for a "new" car " and the "simple" issues--I was hoping for a more pragmatic response that I have received from others.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by jlr
Found out from MBUSA that car was put in service on 4/27/05 and that the dealer can not do anything to reinstate the original warranty period from the date I buy it short of having it certified as a Starmark car which gives me another 1 year or total of 100K miles. So, if I buy it used, I already lost 8.5 months of the warranty.They ran the vin number but can not do a carfax check to see to whom the car was tiltled. Are there any free carfax sites to run the vin number to see to whom it was titled?
I would sue because they tried to sell you a use car as a new car. Teach them a lesson.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: New 2005 SL 500 NOT