SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Whether to keep SL after warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Whether to keep SL after warranty?

I've always envisioned that an R230 would be long time keeper for me -- a beautiful classic.
However, I'm beginning to ponder whether it would be a wise decision to hold onto the SL after the original 4-yr factory warranty expires. What concerns me is that I've read in another post on this forum that some expensive components, such as the COMMAND system, are not covered in an M-B extended warranty. I figure M-B knows their systems, their reliability, and the repair/replacement costs better than anyone else. So if M-B will not cover something as significant as the SL's COMMAND system in their own extended warranty, then it sends a loud message that some pretty expensive goodies are going to fail and need costly repair or replacement, and usually that repaired/replacement item comes with a very short warranty as well.

So, I'm thinking that maybe it should be keep it for 4 years max, then move on to something new. I haven't considered leasing an SL before, but this situation also seems to make a good argument for leasing vs buying - agree/no?

I welcome the sage advice and comments from my fellow members.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL 500
First things first....

Don't depend on this forum to tell you what is or what is not covered in the MB extended warranty...ask MB and ask third parties who might offer extended warranty service on the R230 then make a decsion. I agree if MB backs out on covering some components for the extended warranty that it could be a bad sign but you have to ask to know that.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
No.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:51 PM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
Don't depend on this forum to tell you what is or what is not covered in the MB extended warranty...
Sam,
You make an excellent point. I will look into this subject myself and report the facts here very soon. I sincerely hope my concerns prove to be baseless.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:51 AM

2006 SL 500
Originally Posted by Sgooter
Sam,
You make an excellent point. I will look into this subject myself and report the facts here very soon. I sincerely hope my concerns prove to be baseless.
I'm looking forward to your research findings because I'll be facing that same question in just a few years. I was hoping to keep the car for all the same reasons you listed. Good luck to you and for all of us "hopefully long term owners".
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
No way

Roadside assistance was at my house last night after my CL would not start. I asked him about the longevity of my CL and SL600. He indicated that the drivetrains last forever; however, the electronic systems will fail. He explained that he would never own one of these cars out of warranty. I never will.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:52 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
As a previous benz owner I learned a valuable lesson that I share at every opportunity. Don't keep a benz past the warranty. Any benz. Beautiful cars but stinky reliability. Cost me several thousands in repairs. Enjoy it then dump it like a 50 dollar ***** (sorry ladies).
Old 02-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
I agree

I didn't really think about how much I spent on my out-of-warranty 2000 S class until today... Thousands everytime an issue came up.

With my 2003 SL 500 at 44k miles, i'll be buying a warranty for sure. even if just to sell it with one next month.

it's just one of those things, you can't get it when you need it.

i think i'll be calling the east coast guy next week and getting hooked up.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 PM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
I'm looking forward to your research findings because I'll be facing that same question in just a few years. I was hoping to keep the car for all the same reasons you listed. Good luck to you and for all of us "hopefully long term owners".
I stopped by the local MB dealer today and picked up their pamphlet on the Extended Warranty. As I read it, the ext warranty does actually cover a lot of items, including in-dash audio, navigation head unit, CD/DVD-ROM drive, satellite radio components, the vario roof top system, engine, transmission, A/C, ABC, and the list goes on. However, conspicuous by its absence is the COMMAND module itself. Said differently, a lot of the audio/nav items are mentioned, but the COMMAND display module itself is not. Just to be sure about this, I also called MB corporate, and they confirmed the COMMAND module is not covered.

It occurs to me that I also need to examine the actual ext warranty/contract document itself, and not just the pamphlet. I'll contact the finance mgr tomorrow and see if he'll fax me the full warranty. More to follow.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:18 PM

2003 SL500
Some of the MB extended warranty pamphlet wording on coverage items:
"includes major components"
"Covers various electrical systems"
"Coverage applies to certain items"
Very vague and troubling wording in my opinion. You are then refered to you MB dealership for details. When asked, they couldn't give me any better idea. I have already gone for another companies warranty who's policy is "if its not specified as excluded, then its covered"

Make for a no question policy.

Glenn B
Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 AM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by Sgooter
...However, conspicuous by its absence is the COMMAND module itself. Said differently, a lot of the audio/nav items are mentioned, but the COMMAND display module itself is not. Just to be sure about this, I also called MB corporate, and they confirmed the COMMAND module is not covered.
Please note that the above quote is erroneous. Today the local MB dealer finance mgr faxed the full ext warranty pages to me, and I've now read it several times. As a result, I need to retract the above quote regarding the COMMAND display module. In the actual ext warranty document, the COMMAND control display unit IS specifically listed as a covered item, as is the Parktronic system. I did not see the cruise control nor Distronic systems listed as covered items, but they might be included in the category of electronic sensors and instrument panel gauges, which are covered items.

All in all, I found the list of covered items and systems to be very comprehensive. If anyone has a question about whether a particular component is covered, I will be happy to answer with the quote from the ext warranty document. The finance mgr mentioned that the latest revision to the MB ext warranty occurred in Jan 2005, and added coverage for several items including the COMMAND module.

As I assess the situation now, keeping an SL after the original 4-yr/50K warranty is fine, but only if you get the MB (or better) ext warranty.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:59 AM

2006 SL 500
Thanks..

Wow, good job Sgooter! It's great to get info straight from MB on this issue. It sounds like in 3 1/2 years I'll still be able to continue owning my beautiful car for at least another 4 years after that and hopefully longer.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Heard From The Dealer

I emailed Flether Jones in Newport Beach asking for Ext Warranty info and Dave was nice enough to get back to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the e-mail and the opportunity to earn your business on an
Extended Service Contract for your 2003 SL500 with less than 50k miles
on it. If you see your driving habits staying the same we could place an
additional 4 years up to 100k total miles on it or less! The coverage I
am speaking of is by a company called Millennium and is one of the best
available today. It is about as close as you can get to emulating the
original Factory Warranty. The coverage options are 36/75 to 48/100
ranging in price from $3984.00 to $4810.00 all carrying a $200.00
deductible. Please call me with any questions. Please remember not all
Extended Service Contracts are equal, you get exactly what you pay for.
I can also facilitate this entire process over the phone and via Fed-Ex
making it as easy as possible.
Has anyone heard or dealt with Millenium?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:09 PM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by mikeblah
I emailed Flether Jones in Newport Beach asking for Ext Warranty info and Dave was nice enough to get back to me. Any thoughts?
Has anyone heard or dealt with Millenium?
I'm not familiar with Millenium, so I can't offer anything regarding its ext warranty program. However, I can offer the following for your consideration: One very important detail of any ext warranty is when the ext warranty goes into effect. With the MB ext warranty, it kicks in when your original 4-yr 50K factory warranty runs out. With most 3rd party warranties that I've seen, the ext warranty period starts immediately, but you must seek remedies under your existing factory warranty first. As a result, the stated 3-yr or 4-yr period for the 3rd party ext warranty can be a misleading, so be sure to read the fine print very closely regarding when the ext warranty coverage begins.

I estimate the price for the MB 3-yr/100K ext warranty for a 3-yr+ SL to be $5856, but it may be negotiable depending on any MB dealer's willingness to help you.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 500
Thanks for this great line of thought.....

I just bought a 3 year extended warranty that covers everything for my new (to me) 2003 Launch Edition. I got the Fidelity backed Car Free Protection Platinum plan from MB of Beverly Hills for $4100.00.

Thanks for getting me thinking about this, and illuminating some of the compelling reasons to have one!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Just sent out my paperwork for the Millinium Platinum coverage today.

4 yr/ 100k miles... we'll see how it goes. $200 deductible and $4500 to me.

I was told that it is the closest thing to the original warranty that I can get. got it from Dave M at Flether Jones Newport Beach.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by macfly
I just bought a 3 year extended warranty that covers everything for my new (to me) 2003 Launch Edition. I got the Fidelity backed Car Free Protection Platinum plan from MB of Beverly Hills for $4100.00.

Thanks for getting me thinking about this, and illuminating some of the compelling reasons to have one!
Is your car a CPO? The CPO warranty is a good or better than the new car warranty, isn't it? 7yrs/100,000 miles.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 PM

non
Has anyone put over +100K miles on their R230? Whats the cost of buying extended warranty on it? Will M B allow you to buy extended warranty on it or will you have to go through a 3rd party for warranty.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 PM

SL 500
Millenium is pretty good.

Hey Guys,

I have Millenium. I bought my car from an indy dealer where they sell only benz, rolls, beemers and the only extended warranty they sell was Millenium.

So I bought it. I went to my local MB dealer, and confirmed, Millenium is one of the best out there. If you are going to it, I HIGHLY recommend getting the Platinum coverage. Platium covers ABC suspension, Navigation unit, roof mechanism.. these are the costliest components on an SL.

See details ..

http://www.themillenniumclub.net/pro...otection-plan/

Just an FYI. i have to take my car in for the suction pump replacement in the trunk, and the warranty covered it..

-amer
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 500
Well guys, I bought mine SL already not under warranty.
And from this time I really not invested much in SL's repairs...
I have it already 2 years, but there have been some issues.
Hope another ones are not coming yet, but its a fact that service costs a lot for this car.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:58 PM

non
Just sent out my paperwork for the Millinium Platinum coverage today.

4 yr/ 100k miles... we'll see how it goes. $200 deductible and $4500 to me.
Before you actually purchase extended warranty, do you have to qualify for it, or take it into a dealership or a shop to get diagnostics and checks done?

Or do you just call up the dealership that is offering the extended warranty and ask them for the paperwork to purchase the extended warranty. What kind of information do I have to submit when I do the paperwork?

I dont want to buy an SL500 through a private sell and then be denied purchasing extended warranty coverage because the vehicle failed certains tests and diagnostics.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:30 PM

2005 SL500
As far as I know, there's no evaluation check to get a warranty. I asked the same question when I purchased my SL500 in December and no one said anything had to be done before getting the warranty.
I think that though many people report problems on this board, in general most SLs are pretty reliable otherwise it wouldn't be cost effective for the warranty companies. Don't let all the horror stories scare you.

Rook
Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Rook3300
I think that though many people report problems on this board, in general most SLs are pretty reliable otherwise it wouldn't be cost effective for the warranty companies. Don't let all the horror stories scare you. Rook
Agreed. Two things about coming to these boards:

- Everyone on here is **** about their cars, o/w they wouldn't really be on here. "Automotive hypchondria" I think I heard someone else mention.
- Most people post only when there are issues.

So you're reading "problem concentrate" when you look at these forums as an info source. That said, when sh*t breaks, it certainly ain't cheap.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM

non
Well, Iam just concerned that the closest dealer ship that offers the platinum extended warranty is in another city, so maybe I would have to drive the SL500 to that dealer ship.

But if all it takes is to fill out a bunch of paper work and then submit it then thats good news.
How do you actually pay for the extended coverage, can you pay for it via a credit card?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM

03 SL500
I was just quoted a JMA Fidelity Platinum for my 03 SL500 from Fletcher. What do you guys think?

Deductible: $100
3 years additional 36,000 miles $2995
4 years additional 48,000 miles $3395
5 years additional 60,000 miles $4195

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Whether to keep SL after warranty?