SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 6 month report card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL 500
6 month report card

A few days ago I posted a reply on someones thread stating that after 6 months of ownership my 2006 SL500 had delivered ZERO problems...then a day later heavy rains came to Los Angeles and I found that my trunk had leaked...big sigh...I had tested for that when I took delivery and everything seemed OK but the oft discussed SL500 trunk leaking problem finally manifested itself. Oh well, I'll take it in and get it repaired under warranty and hopefully that will be the end of that although others on this board have had this repaired over and over with no success (tiggerfink among others)...hope I'm not one of those. Anyway, I still dearly love my car so I sign off as ZERO problems plus 1!
Old 03-31-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
A few days ago I posted a reply on someones thread stating that after 6 months of ownership my 2006 SL500 had delivered ZERO problems...then a day later heavy rains came to Los Angeles and I found that my trunk had leaked...big sigh...I had tested for that when I took delivery and everything seemed OK but the oft discussed SL500 trunk leaking problem finally manifested itself. Oh well, I'll take it in and get it repaired under warranty and hopefully that will be the end of that although others on this board have had this repaired over and over with no success (tiggerfink among others)...hope I'm not one of those. Anyway, I still dearly love my car so I sign off as ZERO problems plus 1!
Three years later and still havent fixed the problem, kinda sad. Where does it exactly leak from?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Go here and take a look.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/104033-my-trunk-leaking-again-sl.html
Old 03-31-2006, 10:48 PM

2006 SL 500
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Three years later and still havent fixed the problem, kinda sad. Where does it exactly leak from?
It leaks on both sides of the retractable convertible divider piece. Water looks like it drips on the flat part of the upper trunk and on the sides of the divider. It then all collects on/in the carpet on each side and soaks it.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
It leaks on both sides of the retractable convertible divider piece. Water looks like it drips on the flat part of the upper trunk and on the sides of the divider. It then all collects on/in the carpet on each side and soaks it.
Take a look of my picture. My SL and many others are leaking at the same spots. My trunk is leaking on both sides of the divider.
Attached Thumbnails 6 month report card-trunk-leak.jpg  
Old 04-02-2006, 05:36 AM

-
I am on 5 months and my issues have been:

1. One time the car would not let me pull the key out of the ignition after I turned the car off (0 position). I tried and tried, gave up and drove it to the dealer. When I got there and stoped, it came right out like normal.

2. I had the check engine light come on, with ROUGH idle and ROUGH, lumpy acceleration. Happened on 3/4 starts in a row yesterday in fact. Never happened before. I was an hour away from home so I made it back home and just left it outside. When I started it again after a few hours to park in the garage, started up just fine, no issues, no check engine light.

I havn't checked the truck to see if (or should I say where) it leaks yet.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only problems I've had after having the car for about 1 year have been small things...my ashtray wood piece was replaced after that little piece of etal looking trim on it just went in flush with the wood.....also my speakers in the car at one point paid a veryyyyy high pitch sound when a CD was in the MP3 drive and was having hard times playing any sound...and lastly with the Top up a that flap that goes up when teh roof supports are up and down when the top is down to cover up the place where they supports would be, rattled a little but that just went away...besides those two things which are minimal the only REAL issue i have is that there is that coating of black'ish particles on the rear bumper and trunk of the car, which from what my dealer told me was from the exhaust and it was normal..and being that my car is white it becomes more of an issue than people with darker colors....have you guys had the same type of thing happen on your SL's
Old 04-02-2006, 06:25 PM

2006 SL 500
The only problems I've had after having the car for about 1 year have been small things...my ashtray wood piece was replaced after that little piece of etal looking trim on it just went in flush with the wood.....also my speakers in the car at one point paid a veryyyyy high pitch sound when a CD was in the MP3 drive and was having hard times playing any sound...and lastly with the Top up a that flap that goes up when teh roof supports are up and down when the top is down to cover up the place where they supports would be, rattled a little but that just went away...besides those two things which are minimal the only REAL issue i have is that there is that coating of black'ish particles on the rear bumper and trunk of the car, which from what my dealer told me was from the exhaust and it was normal..and being that my car is white it becomes more of an issue than people with darker colors....have you guys had the same type of thing happen on your SL's
My car is black so I haven't noticed the bumper/trunk specks that you speak of. Are these specks permanently on your finish? Do they brush off? wash off?
Old 04-02-2006, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My car is black so I haven't noticed the bumper/trunk specks that you speak of. Are these specks permanently on your finish? Do they brush off? wash off?
It can be cleaned off with just a towel or even water, I think its basically fumes coming from the exhaust pipes and land on the back bumper...to a normal person it'd look just like dust built up over time or somthing of that nature
Old 04-05-2006, 01:36 AM

2003 SL500
It can be cleaned off with just a towel or even water, I think its basically fumes coming from the exhaust pipes and land on the back bumper...to a normal person it'd look just like dust built up over time or somthing of that nature
I have a silver car and definitely notice the soot-like particles that collect on the rear. One drive after washing is all it takes...

I also have the problem with the little flaps that stand up to allow the roof struts to raise rubbing against the struts and rattling. One side is worse than the other, but a little WD40 typically fixes it.