SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Wheel debate.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel debate.....

Im debating on the HRE 945R or 542R's or even the Lorinser LM5's. Just want to know what people would choose? I believe pricing is around the same for both but Im really pushing towards the LM5's since Lorinser is specifically design for Mercedes. What do you all think?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
OK Johnny between u and me we will figure it all out ....lol....................Keep pushing the lm5 that was my close second choice. They are nice but dont do 20s i have said this before u lose the dynamic of this cars ride. .......What color is your car?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ROMEO550
OK Johnny between u and me we will figure it all out ....lol....................Keep pushing the lm5 that was my close second choice. They are nice but dont do 20s i have said this before u lose the dynamic of this cars ride. .......What color is your car?
Im like you I was pushing more towards the Lorinsers as well. Out of curiousity what was your first choice? I was also debating on 19's or 20's. I was told that the 20's isnt that much of a difference in ride?

Cars Pewter color....I feel in love with it at first sight!!

By the way what do you think is reasonable price for used with tires about 50% thread on them? I found a friend who has them who are selling them and wants me to offer something reasonable.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Well I went with the Brabus Monoblock Vi 2 pce if u look at my sig, but they are 19s and it has drastically changed the ride i couldnt imagine the ride w the 20s. Dont believe the *****s who tell you the 20s are the way to go. good lck the wheel game is full of opinions!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Well I went with the Brabus Monoblock Vi 2 pce if u look at my sig, but they are 19s and it has drastically changed the ride i couldnt imagine the ride w the 20s. Dont believe the *****s who tell you the 20s are the way to go. good lck the wheel game is full of opinions!
Thanks for the heads up on things. I think I will just go with the LM5's. Can you post a picture of your car with the Brabus rims? Size Im still pushing towards 19' So dont worry to much bro!! How much do you think is reasonable for used?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:24 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6

You are calling all the high line Mercedes performance upgrade based companys such as Lorinser, Brabus, Renntech (who all seem to put 20's on their completely modded showcase SL's) *****s? As well as numerous SL owners who have been on here for years (with 20's) while you were still driving...well....something other than a SL.

Almost everyone on this forum who switches to a bigger rim on the R230 SL goes 20 inch...there are a few exceptions. As long as you get a correct offset, center bore, decent weight rim with high quality tires you will be fine. 20's on the SL is a must IMO if not running stock.

Last edited by CY; 09-28-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:12 AM

2006 SL55 Blk/Char Parktronic Keyless Go Xenon Lights Vent Seats; 2007 SL 550 (sold); 2001 CLK 430
Question Brabus Wheel Adaptors and MB Sensors

Romeo550,
I also chose to upgrade with Brabus Monoblock Vi 2 pce for my new 2007 550 (just swapped out 18" for 18"). Was wondering whether you had any trouble getting the Brabus adaptors to work with the MB sensors that come with the MB stock wheel. Been to two dealerships that said MB wheel sensors will not work with Brabus adaptors.

Couldn't give up the Brabus wheels so I currently have no wheel sensors on the car.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
I will post pics as soon as I locate my camera which has joined some of my socks and is temporarily lost lol.......What i meant by "*****s" was not owners who made an informed choice but these guys in the store who are selling the wheels... they just want you to bling you out.....just not my style..... I had my wheels put on by Craig at Butler tire , u can call him at 770-451-3828 about the sensors. Either wheel will look great just make an informed decision thats all.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 09-28-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I suggest the HRE 9series in 20inch size.
HRE's won't be as heavy as most other 20" offerings.

You'll probably also be the only one on the block with those wheels (whichever of the 9's you choose).
Old 09-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by cy0811
You are calling all the high line Mercedes performance upgrade based companys such as Lorinser, Brabus, Renntech (who all seem to put 20's on their completely modded showcase SL's) *****s? As well as numerous SL owners who have been on here for years (with 20's) while you were still driving...well....something other than a SL.

Almost everyone on this forum who switches to a bigger rim on the R230 SL goes 20 inch...there are a few exceptions. As long as you get a correct offset, center bore, decent weight rim with high quality tires you will be fine. 20's on the SL is a must IMO if not running stock.

Technically cy0811 has a point. Theres alot of people out there who have 20's on there car and drive and ride fine. Its really preferance and what people really want. If the wheel fits and everything is correct there shouldnt be any problems as cy0811 stated!!

I think what ROMEO550 was stating and I will back him on this is that there are alot of dicks out there who are out to make the money and will screw you for the sales. Im surprised shops arent telling people to put 24' or higher on these cars and make them a off roading car of some sort!

Last edited by johnny5; 09-28-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by vraa
I suggest the HRE 9series in 20inch size.
HRE's won't be as heavy as most other 20" offerings.

You'll probably also be the only one on the block with those wheels (whichever of the 9's you choose).
I was checking out the HRE website and saw that the 9 series are made more for SUV's. Will it even work on our cars? I like the 940R Series.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Thats what i was trying to say, but you said it better Johnny, ty.... I would make sure that the person you are considering buying the used rims are reliable. I have been told that improper repair of one of these wheels can and will be a nightmare. ...So what are you going to do?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:09 PM

Thats what i was trying to say, but you said it better Johnny, ty.... I would make sure that the person you are considering buying the used rims are reliable. I have been told that improper repair of one of these wheels can and will be a nightmare. ...So what are you going to do?
To be honest with you I really dont know. I know I want rims but really cant make up my damn mind. Im getting to the point where I may not even bother and just keep the stock AMG wheels. Would make my life easier!! haha
Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Or just do the simple mod with the deck lid and be done with it for about 2 months....................... and then you will want the wheels again! LOL
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Or just do the simple mod with the deck lid and be done with it for about 2 months....................... and then ...... you will want the wheels again! LOL

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 09-28-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 PM

Or just do the simple mod with the deck lid and be done with it for about 2 months....................... and then ...... you will want the wheels again! LOL
You know whats scary is that your 100% right....I will push it off and the next thing I know Ill want the wheels again. hahaha. Will see what happens. Im looking at both HRE's and Lorinsers. Will see what happens in the next few days.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Those HRE 9 series would be sweet! If I could go back I would probably go that route.

Shops that push extreme wheel fitments just for price based profit margin gains wont last too long in the Benz performance upgrade business.

If you buy used double check the offset!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by cy0811
Those HRE 9 series would be sweet! If I could go back I would probably go that route.

Shops that push extreme wheel fitments just for price based profit margin gains wont last too long in the Benz performance upgrade business.

If you buy used double check the offset!
Yeah I was looking at the HRE 9 series and they do look sick. But do they even fit our cars because on there website they didnt specify our cars??

As for the shops pushing crap like that are struggling right now as is. If you look theres shops trying to lower and sucker you in with stupid promotions. Its hard to find a reputable shop for anything now a days. Its all about refferal base from people.

The rims Im looking at are not actually my friends now he tells me, but he stated that his friend who owns the wheels were off of an SL. Ill have to double check and really kind of want to stay away from used especially when it comes to rims. Dont know history of them. But if it fits when I try them on Ill probably call a shop to make sure what offset I need and he's good on his word I may consider. Will see....thanks for the heads up though! Ill keep you posted on the dealer.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:20 AM

'09 E93 335i
Go with the Lorinser LM5's

Of course, I might be a little partial
Old 09-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
HRE's are all custom made.
The 940R's aren't only for SUV's, they showcased the wheels on a Mustang as 'sneakpeaks' to show the public

I strongly suggest you quadruple check offsets and sizes on used rims. You DON'T want to end up buying and having the wheels not fit, that is just *t3h sux*.

E-mail neal@euroteckmotorsports.com and mention this thread.
Ask him if he can quote you on the Lorinsers and the HRE's. Perhaps provide more information on both of the wheels, perhaps weight and what finishes you can get.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by johnny5
Im debating on the HRE 945R or 542R's or even the Lorinser LM5's. Just want to know what people would choose? I believe pricing is around the same for both but Im really pushing towards the LM5's since Lorinser is specifically design for Mercedes. What do you all think?
You cant even compare the 2 wheels. The HRE is in a totally different class and is a MUCH better quality wheel that is custom made for your car. Its not just wheels off the shelf like Lorinser.

The 9 series are for cars or SUVs.

If you need pricing on the HRE's send me an email.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by joec1101
Go with the Lorinser LM5's

Of course, I might be a little partial

NICE!!! Ive always loved the LM5's on a SL! What size did you go with and did you have the car lowered because they filled in the wheel gaps pretty well. Perfect height I think.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by vraa
HRE's are all custom made.
The 940R's aren't only for SUV's, they showcased the wheels on a Mustang as 'sneakpeaks' to show the public

I strongly suggest you quadruple check offsets and sizes on used rims. You DON'T want to end up buying and having the wheels not fit, that is just *t3h sux*.

E-mail neal@euroteckmotorsports.com and mention this thread.
Ask him if he can quote you on the Lorinsers and the HRE's. Perhaps provide more information on both of the wheels, perhaps weight and what finishes you can get.
I wont be a sucker and get rims that wont even fit. Trust me I have seen people who get sucked into things all the time and they fit like crap but people will still buy it. Used or New Ive seen people get screwed. Im a little more cautious than that. Thanks for the heads up though.

Also thanks for the e-mail addy Ill definetly hit him up to see what he can do for me and knowledge me on different rims. Both are nice rims and is driving me insane but the LM5's are unique and only benz cars have them. AS for HRE's there made for most if not all exotic cars. I dont know.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
You cant even compare the 2 wheels. The HRE is in a totally different class and is a MUCH better quality wheel that is custom made for your car. Its not just wheels off the shelf like Lorinser.

The 9 series are for cars or SUVs.

If you need pricing on the HRE's send me an email.
Yes you do have a point and lorinser are pretty much off the shelf not like the custom made HRE's. Ill send you an e-mail and you can help knowledge me on wheels.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:38 AM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally Posted by johnny5
NICE!!! Ive always loved the LM5's on a SL! What size did you go with and did you have the car lowered because they filled in the wheel gaps pretty well. Perfect height I think.

those look like 20's to me and not lowered...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Wheel debate.....