SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Sl550 To Buy Or Not To Buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 PM
MJH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL550 Black/Savanna Cashmere, fully loaded; 2006 Navigator; 2005 Corvette (Sold)
Question Sl550 To Buy Or Not To Buy

I am new to your site but have enjoyed reading many of the posts and threads. I am finally in a position to purchase an '07 SL550. Please let me know how you MBZ owners feel about the reliability issues that have cropped up in the last several years. I have loved this car since I was a teen and have drooled over them as they have been changed over time. However, I am concerned with all the "gossip" heard about reliability. All opinions and info most welcome. Of course, I plan on purchasing an extended warranty for the vehicle. Thanks, MJH
Old 12-14-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
I'm not sure about the 550 but my SL500 has been flawless. Not sure that an extended warranty is necessary if you get a new one...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by MJH
I am new to your site but have enjoyed reading many of the posts and threads. I am finally in a position to purchase an '07 SL550. Please let me know how you MBZ owners feel about the reliability issues that have cropped up in the last several years. I have loved this car since I was a teen and have drooled over them as they have been changed over time. However, I am concerned with all the "gossip" heard about reliability. All opinions and info most welcome. Of course, I plan on purchasing an extended warranty for the vehicle. Thanks, MJH
What gossip exactly?....Probably the overall sentiment about mercedes in 03-04.....not specific to sl?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by boylston
I'm not sure about the 550 but my SL500 has been flawless. Not sure that an extended warranty is necessary if you get a new one...

Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 PM

2007 SL550
I took delivery of my '07 SL550 in April - was one of the first in So Cal. I cannot say enough about this awesome ride! I have had no problems except one - The electric motor in the passenger seat headrest had to be replaced. Otherwise absolutely no issues. I had an '05 SL500 before and compared to that car - the SL550 feels more solid. There are no rattles or creaks compared to the '05. I think they have all the problems solved in this car. I did not purchase the extended warranty but I might still do so. Must haves for the SL550 are the Comfort Package - the keyless go and ventilated seats are awesome. My car is obsidian black on black so I also got the trim package - the wood is a nice accent on the black interior. Only bad thing is I read in Autoweek that the SL is going to be totally redesigned for '08. My dealership hadn't heard anything about this yet. Buy it - you'll be hooked just like me! I was an avid BMW enthusiast for 16 years - not anymore!!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
buy it......you only live once........ good luck......
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I was expecting much more trouble from a $100+ car...happy with it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 PM
MJH

2007 CL550 Black/Savanna Cashmere, fully loaded; 2006 Navigator; 2005 Corvette (Sold)
SL550 Reliability Question

Thanks all for the responses!

To Romeo550:
I was having difficulty understanding what others were referring to about bad reliability records and experiences (eg. MBZ does not stand behind their product anymore; quality and workmanship have gone down since Daimler acquired Chrysler, etc.) I hope you are correct. I am assuming based on your response, that the SL does not have the same kind of frequent "in for service, AGAIN" type of history.

I plan to lease at first with an option to buy. I am concerned that MBZ will come out with a new design for the SL, soon after I take the plunge. The current body style (for all intents and purposes) has been around since 2001 (as I'm sure you all know). A minor concern but I would go nuts if a new one came out the year after I purchased mine (hence the lease idea). The decline in re-sale value is alarming as can be seen with the effect the new CL550 has had on previous CL years' plummeting re-sale values. I have never leased a vehicle-always bought them outright .

Anyway, another question for everyone interested....what is your opinion or experince with obtaining a car and lease online? Specifically, FleetRates.com. They are offering 3 caegories (depending on the options they come with) of new SL550's. The first 2 come modestly equipped and run about $899 Mo. The third and most closely equipped to the one I have been talking to area dealers about is $1029 per month (Amg Pkg., Panorama Roof, Trim Pkg., Premium Pkg #1). Dealers around here (CA) quotes range anywhere between $1400 (from a fleet manager) and $2000 per month--39mo lease, 12,000mi yr. with approx. 59% residual value MSRP. What do you think about online dealings?
MJH

Last edited by MJH; 12-15-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:22 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The R230 SL came out in EU as a 2002 model and the US as a 2003 model.....a new one will be here in probably 2 or so years. To get a SL550 near the payments you want, you will have to have excellent credit (tier 1) to obtain the lowest money factor, the highest residual possible (usually from MB...which means its best to wait for an agressive money factor as well) and some money down...I should know: I got the best R230 SL lease in the history of North America...and on a good color with full options. It was like pulling teeth...but even a year later I am still not buried and can easily get out of my lease!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cy0811...

is the redesigned SL expected to be out around August 08 (end of my lease) by any chance ...in which case the actual value of my car will be much lower than the residual on the contract...which, if its low enough, may just be some encouragement to buy the car ...on the other hand I am trying to get into a RR(the range not the rolls ) some time this year so to have a nice new family hauler'

...any one know how much 2005-2006 low mileage Range Rover's are going for at the dealer auctions...i know dealers are currently discounting their New 2006 RR's by 10k and with some work I could probably make it 15k

Last edited by blazinginder; 12-15-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The R230 is on its 6th year of production in Europe, yet no one knows for sure the exact date of the EU release for the next generation SL but due to the drastic exterior and interior changes of the other flagship models (S/CL) and the change of the 2006 ML,2008 C... the current SL/E and CLS are looking at a major body style change soon enough. Since the E and SL both came out in 03 (US) I would guess that they will change around the the same time...since the E shares the chasis of the CLS I think the new CLS will only last a year or two max into the E change while still using all current generation E/CLS parts and not causing it to have too short of a run in the public's eye....but even then WTF can they do to the crazy *** CLS? (except bigger back seats!). It will probably be more cost effective for MB to change the CLS soon after the E since they share so many parts, plus the new redesigned E is the bread and butter seller here in the states and I am sure it will look great and drive great possibly dating the driving experience and at least interior of the current CLS.

Anyway in the 2000 model year the S/CL debuted in the USA....and the SL lasted approximately 2 more years before a drastic change....the 12 year SL run certainly is not going to happen due to competition from the 997 cab /6'er/future Maserati hard top conv/possible future BMW SL killer....it is my opinion that Mercedes understands the importance of making an incredible next generation SL, but also wants to use up all the current parts and not **** everyone off who just dished out $$$ for one. But lets be honest the change is coming, the discounts on the SL are too great even after the refresh and engine update, plus that front lighting style is a dying breed....

I also was looking at RR's (good minds think alike) and was looking at an aggressive lease, I'm just wondering how long this body style can hold out...the thing is there is no competition...the Escalade is a joke as well as the full size Infiniti...the GL is no match and the G is a while different ball game...Land Rover/Ford know they are the only choice at this price level but the problem is 03 Range Rovers are in the $20k something range at auction so every idiot can try to own one out of warranty...the refresh already happened so how long can THEY go? I've been researching a lot but found nothing...a friend of a friend works for Ford Corporate, maybe I will ask him...

As far as reliability...the SL550 will probably be great and have a lot less problems than the 1st year run of the next generation SL whether it is 2 or 5 (for the skeptics) years away.

Last edited by CY; 12-15-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree for 80-100k there really is no other luxury SUV with the presence that the Range Rover has ...but I honestly dont think they're worth THAT much money hence I'm looking for used 2005-2006 ones or maybe even 2004 if the price is low enough
Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
SL Chick Welcome

Originally Posted by SL-Chick
I took delivery of my '07 SL550 in April - was one of the first in So Cal. I cannot say enough about this awesome ride! I have had no problems except one - The electric motor in the passenger seat headrest had to be replaced. Otherwise absolutely no issues. I had an '05 SL500 before and compared to that car - the SL550 feels more solid. There are no rattles or creaks compared to the '05. I think they have all the problems solved in this car. I did not purchase the extended warranty but I might still do so. Must haves for the SL550 are the Comfort Package - the keyless go and ventilated seats are awesome. My car is obsidian black on black so I also got the trim package - the wood is a nice accent on the black interior. Only bad thing is I read in Autoweek that the SL is going to be totally redesigned for '08. My dealership hadn't heard anything about this yet. Buy it - you'll be hooked just like me! I was an avid BMW enthusiast for 16 years - not anymore!!
Another Convert from BMW. Congratulations on your SL550
Will keep an eye out for you when in LN.
If you see a Silver SL55 over at Cedar Creek or Mangia Bene its me.

So far. 6 Months. My SL55 has been flawless. Only thing replaced is
Tires.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
The Sl is one of the best looking cars on the road... but if reliabilty is a deal breaker then Id look elsewhere. The Sl is tops in its segment for worst reliabilty..
Getting one without issues is like a crapshoot... With that said.. the looks and fun factor can sometimes over ride the occasional issue.

I loved mine.. but just couldnt deal with shoddy dealer support. Research the dealer you intend to buy from, as there are more bad ones than good.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:45 PM

2006 SL55 Blk/Char Parktronic Keyless Go Xenon Lights Vent Seats; 2007 SL 550 (sold); 2001 CLK 430
[QUOTE=MJH;1889554]Thanks all for the responses!
I plan to lease at first with an option to buy. I am concerned that MBZ will come out with a new design for the SL, soon after I take the plunge. The current body style (for all intents and purposes) has been around since 2001 (as I'm sure you all know). A minor concern but I would go nuts if a new one came out the year after I purchased mine (hence the lease idea). The decline in re-sale value is alarming as can be seen with the effect the new CL550 has had on previous CL years' plummeting re-sale values. I have never leased a vehicle-always bought them outright .

Anyway, another question for everyone interested....what is your opinion or experince with obtaining a car and lease online? Specifically, FleetRates.com. They are offering 3 caegories (depending on the options they come with) of new SL550's. The first 2 come modestly equipped and run about $899 Mo. The third and most closely equipped to the one I have been talking to area dealers about is $1029 per month (Amg Pkg., Panorama Roof, Trim Pkg., Premium Pkg #1). Dealers around here (CA) quotes range anywhere between $1400 (from a fleet manager) and $2000 per month--39mo lease, 12,000mi yr. with approx. 59% residual value MSRP. What do you think about online dealings?

MJH,
I leased BMW convertibles for about 12 years. It helps when you can write off all or a portion of the lease for tax purposes. Each time I was going to buy the car at the end of the lease but something just was not right with each convertible (at the end of the lease). Never dealt with an online leasing service though.

I took delivery of my new SL in Germany (May 2006) to get the European Delivery experience. This is my first SL and like many others I wanted this particular car for many many years. Absolutely, no problems thus far and I love the extra horsepower and suspension. Maybe this is the model that does have all of the problems worked out.......I say go for it!