SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: opened her up a bit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opened her up a bit

Had her out on I5 today, really the first time been tested, some chick in a Beemer was toying with me, waited for traffic to clear ahead and punched it, not all the way either maybe 3/4 to the floor, hit the paddles of course - ****! I glanced in the rear view and everyone was gone!
Sounded great, felt great, but there were cars up ahead and they were growing fast so i took a quick look at the speedo before hitting the brake - 125mph! And it still had plenty of power and closing in on Top Speed in a jiffy! I couldnt believe we were moving so fast, seemed to all happen in just seconds and she was as smooth as could be.

Oh, btw had the top down as well, what a blast.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
That's what driving an SL is all about...sun, fun, wind, speed and smiles!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Dragoncoach
That's what driving an SL is all about...sun, fun, wind, speed and smiles!
Hell yeah
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by allminesl550
Had her out on I5 today, really the first time been tested, some chick in a Beemer was toying with me, waited for traffic to clear ahead and punched it, not all the way either maybe 3/4 to the floor, hit the paddles of course - ****! I glanced in the rear view and everyone was gone!
Sounded great, felt great, but there were cars up ahead and they were growing fast so i took a quick look at the speedo before hitting the brake - 125mph! And it still had plenty of power and closing in on Top Speed in a jiffy! I couldnt believe we were moving so fast, seemed to all happen in just seconds and she was as smooth as could be.

I5 is a fun road as I have taken it on there a few times myself. Where about are you in Southern Cali or Northern Cali?

I love the paddle shifting!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts
19 X3, 24 Tacoma Trailhunter, 25 CLE53
Originally Posted by allminesl550

Sounds great! High-speed driving is one of the main reasons we did a European Delivery in this past May. Driving on the autobahn at an indicated 254kph (I know the speed limiter is supposed to be 250kph, but the car didn't know) was very interesting to say to the least, especially with much slower vehicles moving into the left lane as "I" approached (the wife didn't want any part of going all out.) I easily hit the speed limiter both with top up and top down. Above 135mph with the top down, I would recommend rolling up the windows due to wind buffeting causing pain to the ears. The most fun we had was racing around the low mountain roads in the national forest outside of Stuttgart, it was a free for all with rice rockets, Bimmers, and Golfs. That's where the pic for my signature was taken.

The truly surprising thing to me is how quite and unstressed the SL550 is at 120mph (with the top up.) Half the time my wife never perceived that I was driving more than 70-80mph.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by johnny5

I love the paddle shifting!!!!
It would be really great if MB could replicate the SMG in the BMW M6.

The paddle shifting is where the difference really shows up. Feels like an F1.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 AM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
That NM M6 looks really good you know!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by LovinSL600

Overall though if your doing a comparisson with BMW and MB, BMW is well above the performance level of MB. I have a BMW as well and its Definitely better in performance and handling from my opinion. Ive never been to fond of the older SMG's though but Im sure they have done alot of revisions to it to improve it. Has it improved that much?

By the way hows the M6? Missing the SL yet??
Old 07-24-2007, 03:01 PM

07 SL55, 1954 Corvette, 09 E350
After a hot day, driving around with the top down on a cool evening along curved roads is the best. The exhaust sound from the SL550 is really nice.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by LovinSL600

Most people hate SMG, thats why BMW is ditching it for DSG. I think the auto trannies in the 55's/63's are great for what they are. I've driven an M6 and it was way too jerky; I'm glad they don't have SMG.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 s65 Coupe, 2021 GLE53C, 2015 S550
Here is my top speed story. I am the Tactical Doc for the local swat team. I do this on a voluntary basis. We had just got off a raid and a couple of the swat guys. They blocked of a section of this 4 lane. My wife met us with the sl55 and I had my sl600. I took a few of the guys on rides getting up to the 160's 170's. The final ride was mine. Even though they were abunch of tactical guys they werent really excited on going any faster. I planned on getting over 200mph, but only managed to 198 b'c the end of where we had it blocked was coming a little to quickly for my liking. I did this in my sl600. and it was almost as smooth in the 190's as it was in the 90's.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 AM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
erdocx3 delimited?

Sounds like you had it delimited? Chipped as well? Those Lorinsers look as good in real life as in your photos. Do the tire pressure sensors fit?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 s65 Coupe, 2021 GLE53C, 2015 S550
No, those wheels look 10 times better in real life than on those pics. Delimited Now why would anyone do that .
Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by johnny5
Overall though if your doing a comparisson with BMW and MB, BMW is well above the performance level of MB. I have a BMW as well and its Definitely better in performance and handling from my opinion. Ive never been to fond of the older SMG's though but Im sure they have done alot of revisions to it to improve it. Has it improved that much?

By the way hows the M6? Missing the SL yet??
The M6 is the best car I have ever owned...including the Vanquish S. I love its performance and it is so much fun to drive.

The SMG's have improved tremendously. The latest one for the M6 is really incredible and gives you the same type of experience I got in the Vanquish S or you'd expect in one of the other "super" cars.

It is a perfect balance between every day driving comfort and that "super" car F1 experience.

The SL was a lot of fun and I miss it's pure luxury. What I don't miss are all the problems it has. My last two cars, the Infiniti M45 and now the BMW M6 are flawless without any problems.

I've thought about buying a SL on the spur of the moment for the wifey but I just can't bring myself to get back into all the headaches that come with the SL. She has a M3, loves it too and it has also been flawless with no problems. She is #2 on the list for the new M3 coming out in late 2008. It will have a V8, a harttop convertible and a newer version of the SMG which I don't think is called the SMG anymore. I bet this one is going to give the SL a ride for its money. The reports are 4.6 for 0-60.

We will see but so far the BMW's have been incredible. The service and the dealers are also way better at least from my experience.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Murtaza
Most people hate SMG, thats why BMW is ditching it for DSG. I think the auto trannies in the 55's/63's are great for what they are. I've driven an M6 and it was way too jerky; I'm glad they don't have SMG.
People that go for the "M" series love the SMG so what you are saying is just not correct.

Of course there are many that don't like the SMG for exactly what you are saying and if you are one of those people than you don't buy a "M" series car. It is not a car for everyone.

If you want to sit back and ride a car that thinks it is a sports car than drive the SL. If you want a car that actually performs like a sports car than buy the M6.

There really is no comparison. They are two different cars. After driving my Vanquish S, I could never be satisfied with an SL for a real "sports" car experience. The M6 is a great option that gives the middle ground of the SL experience and the Vanquish S type car experience.

It all depends what you are looking for but your knocking the M6 is ridiculous. You obviously don't understand the car.

Nothing personal.