SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Locked my key in the trunk!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Locked my key in the trunk!!

I accidentally locked my key in the trunk tonight and had to take a cab home to get my spare. What I dont understand is I thought that was not posible with keyless go? In my CLK, also with keyless go, the trunk lid does not stay closed if the key was left in the trunk when both doors are locked. I always thought that was a great safety feature, but I'm surprised that's not the case with the SL?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:29 PM

Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
Hmm, I too would have thought the key being in the truck would activate the transmitter. I finally see the advantage of my lugging the keyless go "card" around in my wallet these past few years.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
I am

I am going to try that one at home, I was told that is was NOT possible to get locked out leaving the key in the car.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by StephenK
I am going to try that one at home, I was told that is was NOT possible to get locked out leaving the key in the car.
I'll be trying the same!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

experiment

I put the key in the trunk tried to lock the door and received the message in the display saying no key detected, car would not lock. i put the key in the cabin and then tried to lock the car and the display indicated the key was still in the car and would not lock. So this feature works as the Germans advertise.

May be an issue with your key, i would check the battery at a minimum and try the same thing with the extra key.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:54 AM

2005 SL500, 2002 ML500
Remote Unlock

I had the same happening with my CL55, put my computer bag (with the key card) in the trunk and got locked out.

However you can call MB Roadside Assistance and they can unlock the car remotely. They verified my registered information before they unlocked the car. It just took them about 1 minute.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 PM

SL500
I put the key in the trunk tried to lock the door and received the message in the display saying no key detected, car would not lock. i put the key in the cabin and then tried to lock the car and the display indicated the key was still in the car and would not lock. So this feature works as the Germans advertise.

May be an issue with your key, i would check the battery at a minimum and try the same thing with the extra key.
Hi Stephen,
I agree that works the way you desribe it. But this was the sequence of events that night: My parked car was locked to begin with. I walked up straight to the trunk and flipped the lever underside and the trunk popped open. At this time the doors remain locked. I put in my golf bag forgetting the key was in it, and shut the lid with just enough time to catch a glimpse of the message that my key was in the car. But too late, the trunk is shut, remains shut, and I'm locked out. I try the lever again, the doors, but everything is locked. In my CLK, doing everything just as described, the lid would have popped back open. Try this and let me know what happens please?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pops Open

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack
Hi Stephen,
I agree that works the way you desribe it. But this was the sequence of events that night: My parked car was locked to begin with. I walked up straight to the trunk and flipped the lever underside and the trunk popped open. At this time the doors remain locked. I put in my golf bag forgetting the key was in it, and shut the lid with just enough time to catch a glimpse of the message that my key was in the car. But too late, the trunk is shut, remains shut, and I'm locked out. I try the lever again, the doors, but everything is locked. In my CLK, doing everything just as described, the lid would have popped back open. Try this and let me know what happens please?
Doing it the way you described, the trunk pops back open and will not lock with the key left in the trunk. Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 AM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Doing it the way you described, the trunk pops back open and will not lock with the key left in the trunk. Hope this helps.
Mine acts the same way. Initially, I thought something was wrong with my car trunk. It turned out I was standing too close to the trunk and it thought the key was in the trunk. I stood another 3 inches back from the bumper and the trunk would close. Otherwise, as soon as you close the trunk, it unlatches itself.

Have them check the keyless go proximity sensor in the trunk, maybe it's not working?

J