SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Attention all Sport owners, is this your car too?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2007 | 11:57 AM

2003 SL500 Sport
Attention all Sport owners, is this your car too?

Morning All!

Does your "Sport" ride as rough as mine?? I have a 2003 Sport, with Perilli Z's of the correct size (255/40 on the front, 285/35's on the back) Over even pavement, the ride is flawless... but boy, over uneven pavement the car really bucks... and on a real tough spot, the car's rear wheels will actually land back on the ground and send me in a slightly different direction requiring a small but quick correction. Be honest... does yours do that too?

Just got it back from the dealer, and they say it's all working correctly. Pushing the ABC sport button to the off position (the red light illuminates) helps the ride quality by about 10%. Does anyone know if they can "de" tune that unforgiving suspension? The ride quality reminds me of late 80's Porsche's... a suprisingly jolting ride! Has Mercedes decided that that's how a "sports car" should ride? Your candid feedback and any suggestions to alleviate this is apprecaited.... because I love the look... but I may have to get rid of this car if I can't enjoy the drive! Maybe new tires with more profile? What do you all think? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007 | 03:24 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I have the 17" wheels with 255/45 Cont. tires. The ride is great. I like having 45 series tires and they are able to be rotated since all tires are the same size.
Old 11-03-2007 | 03:55 PM

2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
i have an 03 sport and it isn't as bad as you describe...

but on mine, when the Sport Mode is active the light is illuminated, otherwise it's off. and when it's off i would say it was about a 10-20% difference in ride. Definitely noticeable.

i have 30 series in the rear and 35 in the front on 20s... what is your tire pressure? i would assume that 5-7 pounds either way could make quite a difference.

my car is lowered and of course when i raise it to the first level (per the adjustment on the console) it is a huge difference. i will sometimes raise it on a bumpy freeway.
Old 11-03-2007 | 04:00 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Perilli Z's might be your problem. I don't think Mercedes recommends them for the SL some kind of problem. Do a search
Old 11-05-2007 | 11:19 AM

2003 SL500 Sport
Considering every option

I'm going to consider getting Michelins... but I don't want tp spend $1200 bucks if it doesn't help and i have to get rid of the car.

Mikeblah, thanks for your response! I haven't found a difference in the ride quality by adjusting the height, but I'll keep paying attention to it. I did reduce the the air pressure to 30 in the front (32 is recommended) and 31 in the back (33 I think is the recommended) ...no real difference there either. I'm gonna check out the manual about the light.... dealer said the opposite was true.

In another post a few years back, someone mentioned the suspension on the sport is in no way different than the standard model, they said it was all wheels and cosmetic body panels.... Be curious to know if anyone can confirm or deny that fact.
Old 11-05-2007 | 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by SL in ATL
I'm going to consider getting Michelins... but I don't want tp spend $1200 bucks if it doesn't help and i have to get rid of the car.

Mikeblah, thanks for your response! I haven't found a difference in the ride quality by adjusting the height, but I'll keep paying attention to it. I did reduce the the air pressure to 30 in the front (32 is recommended) and 31 in the back (33 I think is the recommended) ...no real difference there either. I'm gonna check out the manual about the light.... dealer said the opposite was true.

In another post a few years back, someone mentioned the suspension on the sport is in no way different than the standard model, they said it was all wheels and cosmetic body panels.... Be curious to know if anyone can confirm or deny that fact.
The suspension is the same only different body panels.
Old 11-05-2007 | 05:18 PM

2006 CLK350
I've never driven a SL before so I can't exactly relate, but my 06 CLK350's ride comfort is horrible. Just like your's, even payment it great. But on rocky roads, you feel each and every little bump. I think their suspension is designed for "performance". I dont go to the track, so I rather have a smoother ride.
Old 11-05-2007 | 07:06 PM

2003 SL500
I doubt you'll like the Michelins I hate mine

I'm going to consider getting Michelins... but I don't want to spend $1200 bucks if it doesn't help and i have to get rid of the car.

Don't get Michelins... you won't like them. read my post in the tire and wheel forum.

I am about to get rid of a set of Michelin Pilots that have 7/32" tread on them, they are so noisy and rough I can't stand it. It's like having 4 snow tire with studs on the car, they are hideous imho.

J T

PS: Get some Bridgestones and if that doesn't help then ditch the car, consider it money well spent and far cheaper than another ride!
Old 11-10-2007 | 11:54 AM

2003 SL500 Sport
It"s Gone!

I was forced to get rid of my SL!

It was so beautiful to look at, had every option I could want, and the sport package really kicked it up a notch in terms of style... but I couldn't take the ride anymore.

I got the CL500 Sport.... The very definition of a magic carpet ride! I've had it for three days now, and I have to say, compared to the SL, the CL has an opulent cabin fit for royalty! Wood for days...

I know I'll miss my R230 SL Sport on sunny days... but as it drives by, I'll have to keep reminding myself that I nearly lost a filling driving over a pebble in that torture chamber.... albeit a good looking torture chamber with Keyless Go and a Pano Roof!
Old 11-10-2007 | 04:40 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I was forced to get rid of my SL!

It was so beautiful to look at, had every option I could want, and the sport package really kicked it up a notch in terms of style... but I couldn't take the ride anymore.

I got the CL500 Sport.... The very definition of a magic carpet ride! I've had it for three days now, and I have to say, compared to the SL, the CL has an opulent cabin fit for royalty! Wood for days...

I know I'll miss my R230 SL Sport on sunny days... but as it drives by, I'll have to keep reminding myself that I nearly lost a filling driving over a pebble in that torture chamber.... albeit a good looking torture chamber with Keyless Go and a Pano Roof!
I have 17's on my SL and it rides great and handles great.
Old 11-10-2007 | 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? A normal good SL suspension is nowhere near what you experienced, it was the car you bought that was like that it appears.

I had a CL....worst car reliability-wise ever. I hope you have a warranty.
Old 11-10-2007 | 11:17 PM

2008 Dodge Charger R/T
I just got 20's and I can tell that there is a slight difference with the smoothness of the ride. I'm very happy though with the overall result.
Old 11-12-2007 | 02:37 PM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
Don't get Michelins... you won't like them. read my post in the tire and wheel forum.
Originally Posted by J Tinsby

I am about to get rid of a set of Michelin Pilots that have 7/32" tread on them, they are so noisy and rough I can't stand it. It's like having 4 snow tire with studs on the car, they are hideous imho.

J T

PS: Get some Bridgestones and if that doesn't help then ditch the car, consider it money well spent and far cheaper than another ride!

Can only agree, Michelins are crap tyres.

I drive Conti Sport Contact 3, and although my car is an AMG with even tuffer suspension, and is lowered, and 20" rims, i have a smoth ride.

Can only recomend them.
Old 11-13-2007 | 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Mine rides on AMG 19's. I think the ride is OK........but I am a bit of a loon!

Our cars actually handle very well......
Attached Thumbnails Attention all Sport owners, is this your car too?-sltrack2.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:51 AM

I have put 20" Lorisner w/ Kumhun tires, 30 in the rear, and 35 in the front. hurt the ride quality much, the wheels are the type that are like the SLR design in chrome, I forget the model #. I can't beleive how it improved the looks of the car, not ever do I take it out without someone comenting on the looks, even real old people driving Toyotas. The car rode great before the switch, but is not too bad after, still smooth as a cloud on good roads,
pretty poor on bad ones. I would post photos, but I get a msg that the photos need to be reduced, can anbyone tell me how to reduce the size of photos?
Old 11-18-2007 | 04:28 PM

SL 500
2004 SL here, no issues with sport mode. I have 18' Potenza's delivered w/ the car from the dealer. love the car. no harsh ride as described by your experience.
Old 11-19-2007 | 10:53 AM

2003 SL500 Sport
Picture Resizing

Originally Posted by mikefili
I have put 20" Lorisner w/ Kumhun tires, 30 in the rear, and 35 in the front. hurt the ride quality much, the wheels are the type that are like the SLR design in chrome, I forget the model #. I can't beleive how it improved the looks of the car, not ever do I take it out without someone comenting on the looks, even real old people driving Toyotas. The car rode great before the switch, but is not too bad after, still smooth as a cloud on good roads,
pretty poor on bad ones. I would post photos, but I get a msg that the photos need to be reduced, can anbyone tell me how to reduce the size of photos?
Here is a great article on different ways of resizing a pic.

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html

I personally use the microsoft power toys mentioned... super easy, just right click, hit resize and done. It adds the resized pic next to the original.

Once you figure it out... pleae don't forget to post some pics so we can see those wheels!

Last edited by SL in ATL; 11-19-2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling