SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Roof Rack Preperation....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
Roof Rack Preparation....

Any lucid views on whether the roof rack preparation detracts much from the line, look of the roof?

Need one for occasional use, but if its too bad will delete.

Be glad, too, or your opinion/experience on the worth or not of Comfort seats, or are the Dynamic Massaging Seats a better choice. Or do I need both? Would like a low back support, like the blow-up one in the BMW, but that has cracked the leather with constant use.

The thought of holes in the leather, and subsequent build up of dirt, leather cream etc doesn't exactly enamour me to the comfort upgrade.

Thanks.....

Last edited by Mustard; 11-11-2002 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I'd give the roof preparation a wide birth. There are two cut outs, one at the top of each A pillar plus a fold out trim piece along the bottom edge of the side windows. I think it spoils the appearance.

If you're an old dog like me (47), you might suffer from occasional back trouble and I think the variable lumbar support and massaging function do wonders to keep you comfortable on a longer journey, especially with the seat heating on.

The comfort seats are less of a must have but I can see they could be good on hot days in summer. The fans (made by Papst who make fans for electronic equipment) draw in air from behind the seat and expel it through the holes. It's quite restrained and is not about to blow you out of the car James Bond style. But if you ever get a sticky back in a car in summer they will help. The blue LEDs in the door switches look very cool, there are three LEDs, showing the three speeds.

As one of my friends so helpfully commented, quite a good option to have if you've been on the Vindaloo the night before.

As for the holes, they are less noticeable than I expected but I can see they will be a trap for dust and dirt, just a gentle vacuum required from time to time and a little and often with the leather care cream.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:22 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Slightly older dog, but can still sweat out the previous night with the best of them! Its decisions I’m troubled by these days.

Perhaps will still get the comfort seats, but the idea of holes doesn’t seem right or long-lasting. Trip to office in France entails an eight hour drive – massaging sounds pretty much mandatory for that alone, so that’s a definite. And it does get hot there – so comfort seats back in the running.....

Will keep the BMW for surf trips so will discard roof prep. with a view to resale.

Grateful for your thoughts & thanks again, BlueSL....
Old 11-23-2002, 04:23 PM

SL500
Roof Rack Prep really noticable?

Interested to read this thread, I spec'd the rook rack prep without giving it much thought for my SL500 due next year, assuming that its as innocuous as that I had on a previous SLK. Is it really noticable? My SL will be black, so I assume it won't be a problem. For the miniscule outlay, I think its daft not to spec it just in case, but now I'm not so sure. Any pictures available??

Oh, and what quotes are you getting in the UK for insurance - is it silly money? I only have experience of cars worth under 50,000GBP, so was wondering if it gets really expensive?

Cheers

Last edited by NastyAluQuadra; 11-23-2002 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:54 PM

BMW 535d Touring
I've left my roof rack prep. on order until I see one with a view to keeping it for resale, so hope there's a pic. posted, too. Would like to know if the roof converts with rack in place etc. The dealer tells me its unobtrusive, but would think you'd need a good reason to have if it was going to spoil the lines.

Re Insurance: See thread below with several quotes.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=2

Had mine firmed at £972 without tracker. Norwich Union.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Mustard, what's the list price of the SL350 and what options do you need to put on it? Last time I checked, there was nothing on the UK web-site; the German web-site is showing the car but there's a bunch of stuff removed from the SL500, most notably the ABC which for me is the real eye-opening function of the SL, the ability to disguise it's considerable bulk on the road.

As for insurance, I have 3 Group 20 cars, and the premium seems to increase linearly with declared value. Your premium on "my" scale equates to a value of high 50's. It's important, especially at renewal time, not to be over optimistic about the value of cars, you only end up paying more for insurance, in the event of a claim, you'll never receive more than market value anyway. Example: my 12k mile F355 is worth no more than £50k because I pranged it a few years ago which means I can insure it for less than £600.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Here's a picture of the mounting points at the top of the A pillar. It's true it's a low cost option, but you might decide to leave it off if carrying stuff around is not important. I suppose if you put some exotic mountain bike on the roof, it might look cool but one of those storage boxes you see on the top of Volvos towing caravans lacks street cred IMHO.

Last edited by blueSL; 11-23-2002 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Reading the manual, page 164, they warn you not to open the roof with the roof rack in place. Presumably your day would be well and truly spoiled if you did. In fact, they advise keeping the luggage cover in the trunk released so that the roof is protected against accidental opening. There's no specific interlock to recognise the roof rack is fitted.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:44 AM

BMW 535d Touring
No UK prices for SL350....

You are right. MBUK tell me I’m welcome to place an order, but have no prices until February. Euro dealers have the car on sale now, RHD or LHD with prices in Euros so ordered in France. Have projected UK price by comparing the old SL320 and the SL500. Must be close.

Price? High 50’s is close - should be about £5-6K under UK list, £14K less than the SL500.

The SL350 ex-factory has “como” fabric/leather seats and interior (meant to obviate need for seat heating), no ABC, no comand, no bi-xenons, no Metallic, no seat heating, standard Sequentronic, and Alu trim. Every thing else the same as SL500.

Have added back metallic, leather, pano-roof, comand, bi-xenons, TV, phone, comfort seats, and the roof prep (which now goes since it looks bad - thank you for the photo), plus parktronic, keyless-go and a few more odds & ends.

ABC ordered - but unlike you I’m out on this. Dealer thought new suspension is major advance on R129 and ABC might still be troublesome & superfluous on SL350, (but totally essential on 500 & 55). Reasons that complexity, price (€4,000) and its remoteness with the sequentronic weigh against it. Am waiting to read reviews, further info on subject before finalizing in Feb. A few concerns about the sequentronic too as it interrupts tractive power through changes. The engine is, apparently, superb.

A basic spec SL350 in say Magma Red, with the 6-speed box and Como would still be a fine, fast car.

This is too much information, all of it IMHO, but it may help others decide and I would be happy to connect anyone with my dealer............

Last edited by Mustard; 11-24-2002 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:56 PM

SL500
ABC....and massaging seats

I've looked into getting an SL350 as an import from Belgium to full UK RHD spec.

Any ideas what the standard UK spec is going to be? Question mark must be over ABC, which I suspect might make it as UK standard spec. I think we can assume met paint, leather, folding mirrors, alarm, COMAND and Bixenons will be standard as for SL500.

Any ideas when we'll know for sure? I guess this maybe as late as Feb next year?

From reading your earlier message, the massaging seats sound like a must have, whilst the fan seats are not so useful? Is this right or is the massaging effect just a bit of a gimmick that you use once of twice then forget about (like the IMO pointless folding mirrors)?

Thanks for the insurance info. I think your right in that the premium will go up a bit in relation to the value, so nothing to worry about too much over and above my last M3 SMGII.

Cheers

J
Old 11-27-2002, 01:26 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Re: ABC....and massaging seats

Originally posted by NastyAluQuadra
I've looked into getting an SL350 as an import from Belgium to full UK RHD spec.

Any ideas what the standard UK spec is going to be? Question mark must be over ABC, which I suspect might make it as UK standard spec. I think we can assume met paint, leather, folding mirrors, alarm, COMAND and Bixenons will be standard as for SL500.

Any ideas when we'll know for sure? I guess this maybe as late as Feb next year?

J
Its important to get the basic spec exactly the same as the UK car. I imported my SLK thinking I had everything right but even then for some reason it didn't have an ajustable steering column. The eventual buyer didn't mind, but anyone else might.

BlueSL rates ABC as a major feature and he's probably right (see thread) but its strange MB have left it off the 350. There might well be an issue with the sequentronic, and I suspect MBUK will option it, along with full leather (Como as standard - see above), Comand and the bi-xenons. The full alarm will be standard, so will all other SL500 standard issues, tho perhaps not Metallic.

I'm holding off on the seat issues as well as ABC. I think the comfort seats are a great idea, just don't like the idea of perforated leather filling up with grunge (or smells!). Do like the massaging seats. The Belgium option will allow you to have the massage system on either seat - MBUK requires you to order both on the SL500, so probably a similar option on the 350. Watch out if you don't get the comfort seats - you will have to order seat heating as an option.

Wouldn't have the cheap looking standard aluminium trim in this car.

Believe the UK price list will be avaialble pre-launch in February. No RHD cars are being produced until March, so you might decide to order, then wait and be sure of the spec before finalising.

Looks as if there is a European wide move to equalise the price of all the SL's in Euros. I looked at the specs & prices of Spain, Switzerland & France before deciding, and although their basic spec differed, the price was within a few euros for all dealers. You can haggle harder in Europe if you have cash.

PM if I can help you compare prices or if you want me to put you in touch with my dealer.

Last edited by Mustard; 11-27-2002 at 01:30 PM.