SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Sl500 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 07:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
Arrow Sl500 Test Drive

Having had a deposit on an SL500 for several weeks, and anxiously waiting for my Jan. order, I finally got to test drive an SL500 today. Let me first say that I think that the SL500 is one of the best looking sports cars Ive ever seen. The exterior design of the car is unreal, with flowing lines, great looking wheels, and trim.
Having owned and driven lots of sports cars, my expectaions were very high. My girfriend has a Lexus SC430, which is what I had compared the SL to, prior to driving it. The ride is good, not too harsh, not too mushy. The cornering is ok, but not as good as I had expected. The car has more engine noise than I had expected, and the acceleration, although not poor, was not as good as an SC430. The brakes, IMHO, were awful. They were very jerky and noisy, perhaps they just havent been broken in, but this car had about 700 miles on it. The seats...my goodness, they are like sitting on rocks. My Porsche has much more comfortable seats, not at all what I expected on the SL. Finally, the nav system is absoutely worthless, unless you are in a major city, unlike the DVD nav system on the lexus.
I did not submit this thread to diss the SL. All in all, I think it is a totally awesome ride, and much better looking than the SC430, but Im having serious seconds thoughts about ordering an SL now......
Old 11-13-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd wait a year or two for the new "improvements" to take place. Everybody knows that you don't buy the first year production of a new car. With so many annoying issues with the SL, I'd hate to be an owner right about now. I plan on buying one in a couple of years though.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:08 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Hey internet_mafia what do u drive now? There is no time like the present if u can afford it, in a couple of years there will be something else. Trade in your Corolla now and go for it.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:31 PM

I drive a 95 S320. I have about 60K miles on it and I love it. The SL is a dream car but I want to do it right. True, there will always be something new on the market, but with the current situation with the SL, trust me, it doesn't pay to have a brand new car that needs this and that to be fixed from the start. Buying a new car should be a pleasent experience, not a hassle.

I have even talked to a Bentley/Rolls representative and he has told me what I am telling you. '99 was when the Bentley and Rolls got their new designs. However, a year later, over 15 improvements were made to both cars. Knowing this, would you rather have bought a '99 or a '00? Even though, this is different example, the principal is the same with the mercedes.

Last edited by internet_mafia; 11-13-2002 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The SL is not going to be for everyone so it may not be right for you. I've had just one minor problem with my SL55 which I fixed myself and there's nothing - not one thing - that I know of not working 100%. The car is night and day different - and better - from the SL600 and F355 which are clogging up my garage unused.

I attended a car clinic 2 months ago - SL500, 911, SC430 and the replacement for the Jaguar XK-8 and seeing the cars side by side was an eye-opener - exteriors with the interiors masked off, interiors with the exteriors covered and driver ergonomics. The results were so clearly in favour of the SL. And they even paid me $250 for my troubles so you can imagine I gave them my honest opinions.

So, if you do not like the car, leave it, forget it, no-one's forcing you to have it. My own experience is different however, and I just love this car and all it has to offer. There is not one car in the world I would rather have. Enough said.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:47 AM

BMW 535d Touring
The new SL is a beautiful car, and although Mercedes-Benz does have quality issues, so do many others. I switched to BMW after some major defects in my E-Class Estate, but don't believe on reflection it is all that much better. My wifes SLK was pretty average.

But this SL has really caught my imagination. It drives superbly well, and is such a good looking car. I believe MB will do all it can to keep it where it belongs - absolutely top of the class. There will be problems, shortcomings, they will be sorted. MB's biggest problem has been arrogant and downright difficult dealerships. My local one, before the owner got chucked, was so bad no-one I new would go near it! He even put an SL under covers because, according to the salesman, he didn't want interested people all over it! No test drives possible - no enquiries welcome. I went back overseas to buy mine.

So I too must disagree - there are no new cars so fresh, so dynamically good, so down-right stunningly good looking that I would change my mind or be tempted elsewhere - especially given the stories I hear of Maseratis & Ferraris lately.
OK, the seats are typically Germanic, the GPS fixed with COMAND II, its not quiet because its a sports car (try an S430!), but all in all, its an absolutely magnificent car. Period.

Anyway, didn't the SC430 get totally dissed as the biggest load of wallowing junk by the illustrious Jeremy Clarkson recently?

It may not have been quite that negative, but close....

Last edited by Mustard; 11-14-2002 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:42 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Mustard u could not have said it better, I agree with everyhing u said and can not wait for my late Jan delivery
Old 11-14-2002, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2K1 Mercedes SLK 230
Sorry, but how can one compare SL500 To SC430??? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Lexus.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by SLKGuy
Sorry, but how can one compare SL500 To SC430??? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Lexus.
thing is.. you can't

cousin's dad is trading in his SC430 for a White SL500..

we're gonna park our black sl next to his white and take some pics.. whoa.. that will rock! lol

btw.. our sl rocks! no problems dealer couldn't fix.. lol
Old 11-14-2002, 05:19 PM

996 Turbo
Get your pads looked at. When our S came we had the same problem. I forced the service guys to look at them and they admitted something was wrong.

Braking was totally different after the pad change.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thumbs up SL500 all the way

I seriously considered buying the SC430 but decided not to do so and waited for the SL, for the better.

The SL's engine was probably not broken in hence the slower than expected acceleration, and one must press the ABC Sports button to get the almost-no-lean handling.

There is a service bulletin on the brakes, check it out it eliminates the noise and marginally improves the brake feel in my opinion. Although I agree the brake setup is more suitable for street use than late braking on the track. (Still far better and safer than the SC430)

The noise is not from the engine but the exhaust as MB decided to tune it giving it a sportier style especially between 1500-2000 rpm. I personally dislike it.

Of couse, just a push on the stereo will resolve the above problem. I love cranking up my cell concertos in the SL and can safely and conveniently do so with the built in phone - nothing beats MB telematics when the music automatically mutes with an incoming call and the caller's number displayed on the dash. With any Lexus, I suspect I would miss all the calls when enjoying the ML stereo. I think a few years ago, Lexus tried but failed hence recalled their car phones as they never worked.

I find the SC430 rather unsafe if I were to drive it aggressively. The active safety features are miles behind the SL. Its traction control cuts in too early and doesn't do a good job bringing the car back on track.

With the SL, you enjoy the drive I personally love those firm seats, with the SC, you play with the DVD and the stereo as the thing drives so poorly.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove the SL500. Completely totally predictable. The engine and transmission are smooth. I noticed the exhaust on the 5L V8 isn't as loud as my brother's old w208 4.3L V8, even with the top down. The car did not grumble like a sports car, which the CLK w208 did perfectly fine.

ABC is one of the best suspensions on the market right now. Hell, even regular airmatic is decent. Body roll is minimal.

The brakes take getting used to. That's the first thing I noticed. They grip differently and you can feel a slight jerk.

The fit & finish are TOP NOTCH. Leather dash and the middle console was very stylish & functional. NAV screen was smaller.

The wheels on the sports package are completely ugly. Mercedes really needs some nice OEM wheels with a lip. You could not tell the wheels were staggered.

All in all, I was impressed. I drove the car and feel in love.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
Hmmmmm.......http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...262472,9240754

Old 11-16-2002, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
It's been said for a while that the SL addresses the problems Mercedes have been having and I am perfectly happy with the SL build quality.

If you want poor build quality, head south from Bremen/Stuttgart to Maranello... the person (maybe it was the Great Man Enzo himself) who said that you only pay for the engine, everything else is free and you shouldn't therefore complain was closer to the truth than he thought.

If you are buying an SL, you can sleep easy, the build quality is great. Maybe not in the Lexus class, but don't you need a frontal lobtomy to drive one of those?