SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Here we go with that darned DST and the clock again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Thumbs down Here we go with that darned DST and the clock again!

I asked the dealer if there is an update for the software that tells the clock when to look for Daylight Saving Time. I was told "No there isn't since the clock gets it's time signals from the GPS satellites."

I must disagree with them, this is the second time my clock didn't update on it's own, I had to do it manually, again.

Reading the manual it clearly says that you can only use the automatic feature IF THE CAR KNOWS WHEN THE TIME CHANGE IS TO OCCUR.

Use the manual setting if the car doesn't know.

Both of these are diametrically opposed to what the dealer tells me. It would be great if it would work by itself but it won't, and to my mind it needs a software update to tell it when the new times are to occur. It may set itself on a minute by minute basis from the GPS sats but it sure won't change a whole 60 minutes!

The car is an '03 SL 500 with COMAND and NAV.

I know there have been many posts on this topic some reference an MB site that has info on setting the clock but I can't find anything when I go there. I KNOW how to set it, I'd just like it to work the way the dealer 'thinks' it should.

Thanks for reading my rant!

J Tinsby
Old 03-15-2008, 10:55 PM

2003 SL500
Same car, same issue. The dealer is misinformed. The car gets the time signal from the GPS satellites, but that is universal time. It is up to the in-car equipment to convert it to local time based on the time zone, and to know when the time zone observes DST.

The day on which DST takes effect was recently changed, and the software needs updating. Responsible computer and software manufacturers provided patches or updates for this. I'm surprised (and disappointed) that MB hasn't.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:38 AM

SL500 2003 Designo (sold), SL500 2004, Nissan GT350
I have no issues with the DST. I live in Arizona and we do not observe DST. I am, however having and issue with the clock losing up to 5 minutes in two weeks. Any one else have this issue?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 PM

2003 SL500
Unhappy Try to tell the dealer that!!

Originally Posted by ToonArmy
Same car, same issue. The dealer is misinformed. I'm surprised (and disappointed) that MB hasn't.
Thank you very much, I tried to no avail to explain this to the dealer and of course had no success.

It's not a big deal to set it manually but geez on a car that cost $100k+ where's the "service after the sale part?"

Part of the problems with stealerships is that they are so used to dealing with pablum puking old farts who take what they say as gospel. The have no reason to question what the dealer says because they have no experience to draw from, they just pay the bill without b****ing and go home!

This is the sort of thing that irritates knowledgeable owners. It's a small thing I know but it's the small things that matter more likely than not in the long run.

Regards,

J Tinsby
Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 PM

2003 SL500
Makes me wonder

Originally Posted by lovemysl
I am, however having and issue with the clock losing up to 5 minutes in two weeks. Any one else have this issue?
I wonder if for some reason your clock isn't getting ANY time signals from the GPS satellites. Without that correction every so often if the onboard clock is slow, it will really become obvious.

You don't say if the car has NAV, but that would surely be effected too if there were no satellite signals going to the head unit.

Do you have the NAV and does it work as it should?

Beyond that I'm at a loss to advise you what to look for next.

Good luck with it!

J Tinsby
Old 03-16-2008, 02:19 PM

2003 SL500
I have no issues with the DST. I live in Arizona and we do not observe DST. I am, however having and issue with the clock losing up to 5 minutes in two weeks. Any one else have this issue?
That sounds very unusual. As J Tinsby said, this would seem to indicate that for some reason your car isn't receiving the GPS signals. Is it parked underground for long periods? When you start up, does the nav work, or have some delay while it says "acquiring satellites"? If the nav works and locates your position accurately, then I"m stumped. Otherwise, perhaps the GPS antenna is damaged or the connection has come loose.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM

2005 SL600, 2015 E350 wagon, 2013 SL63
Losing time

Lovemysl, I have the same problem. The clock just won't keep time. I have used the option to disconnect it from the head unit and nothing affects it. I asked the dealer about it once, but then forgot to follow up, but the car goes in this week for a module replacement on the ipod kit and I will raise it again.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:06 AM

SL500 2003 Designo (sold), SL500 2004, Nissan GT350
I think you guys are right my issue must be with the nav unit. I have one but do not use it. The car is from california and it came only with the CA and Nevada CD. I may have to buy the updated CD so the clock can sync with the satellite.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM

2003 SL500
What's on the top of your dashboard? If anything?

Originally Posted by ToonArmy
That sounds very unusual. As J Tinsby said, this would seem to indicate that for some reason your car isn't receiving the GPS signals
I have forgotten where the antenna(s) for the NAV unit are located. It seems I remember someone saying they are in the top of the dashboard. If that's the case, do you have anything metallic on the top of the dash that would inhibit reception of the GPS signals?

Sure I know you don't have tin foil all over the dash but there are some sun protectors that lay on the dash to cut glare and so on. One of them might have a metallic core you can't see. If the receiver antennas are in the dash this might be something to consider.

Cheers,

J Tinsby
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
I have forgotten where the antenna(s) for the NAV unit are located.

J Tinsby
Took a bit of searching, but according to Section 6.5 on this page, for the R230 SL class it is located here:

GPS Aerial, sticks to windscreen behind mirror
As suggested, check for any blockage or connection problems.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 PM

2003 SL500
Talking Save your money!!

I may have to buy the updated CD so the clock can sync with the satellite.
Buying an updated CD or DVD won't help the clock problem, it may help show you streets the older disc didn't have but that's it.

There is no connection ( no pun intended ) between the clock keeping time and the date on the disc. Any disc should work no matter what.

J Tinsby
Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 PM

2003 SL500
Thumbs down Today I called MB about the clock and the update..

the guy who answered the phone told me that the reason the clocks don't update is because the GPS satellites were never reprogrammed for the new time!!!

I decided to ask a friend from NASA about it.

Here is the response from Dr. TS Kelso who runs the Celestrak web page: www.celestrak.com when I asked him about the GPS satellites and our clocks.

"GPS satellites actually keep GPS Time, which is a fixed offset from International Atomic Time. As such, the receiver must account for the rules such as Daylight Savings Time for each time zone. For example, in Windows, each time zone has the rules of whether DST is observed, when it starts, when it ends, how much it shifts, and so on. When the rules change, the software in Windows must be changed.
So, the short answer is that MB needs to reprogram their clocks to recognize the new rules if they are getting their time from GPS."..... Dr. TS Kelso

Which is exactly what we all suspected but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that update to come! Thanks to the Dr. for his answer!

J Tinsby

Last edited by J Tinsby; 03-19-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additional info