SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Concerns after test drive of SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Concerns after test drive of SL500

Can order SL500 for delivery in March, BUT had some concerns after test ride. (Loved the car and want to see if I can address concerns.) Can you help?

1. Hard to get into and out of. Does wheel pull away and/or seat go back when key is pulled out?

2. Hard ride. I commute into NY City. Will the 18" wheels give me too hard a ride? How do the 17" wheels handle?

3. Heating/Air Conditioning controls. Can you direct air to different vents (foot vs. dash) and control fan speed? Is it hard to do when driving?

4. Seat width. I have a broad back and standard seat seemed narrow. I was hitting the bolsters on each side. Are the ventilated seats wider?

5. Controls for radio, navigation and heating seem hard to use. I commute and need a driver friendly car. Will I be too frustrated?

Thanks. I love the car and have only a few weeks to decide whether to order.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: Concerns after test drive of SL500

Originally posted by john1960
Can order SL500 for delivery in March, BUT had some concerns after test ride. (Loved the car and want to see if I can address concerns.) Can you help?
1. Hard to get into and out of. Does wheel pull away and/or seat go back when key is pulled out?

Yes, this is a user setable option.

2. Hard ride. I commute into NY City. Will the 18" wheels give me too hard a ride? How do the 17" wheels handle?

The 18" wheels will ride rougher, however, I am not sure how much so over a 17".

3. Heating/Air Conditioning controls. Can you direct air to different vents (foot vs. dash) and control fan speed? Is it hard to do when driving?

Yes, fully adjustable if you take it out of AUTO mode. Once you learn the system it's a no brainer.

4. Seat width. I have a broad back and standard seat seemed narrow. I was hitting the bolsters on each side. Are the ventilated seats wider?

Seats are about the same width.

5. Controls for radio, navigation and heating seem hard to use. I commute and need a driver friendly car. Will I be too frustrated?

Again, easy to use once you learn the layout and controls.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Concerns after test drive of SL500

Originally posted by john1960
awiner has almost answered ur questions but i'll throw in my opinon's as well

for me i usually have my seat (passenger side) to the far back but my dad likes it up real close for somereason but yah, the wheel does pull in and his seat does move back a ted bit to let him out
i think the ABC should soak up a lot of the small bumps.. not sure.. the 17's we have are awesome on those continental tires

the air stuff is really easy even when you are driving.. my dad does it all the time

i think thye only difference in seats is the holes in the seats.. for the air to pass thru..

also i think if you get the massager you can change the bolsters..

its very very easy to get used to when u drive. i went from lexus to honda to benz and its all embbeded in my mind.

Thanks. I love the car and have only a few weeks to decide whether to order.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:42 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Relax and get the car, everything else will be just fine,and enjoy it
Old 12-26-2002, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree, the car is just superb, don't hesitate. If you do, what else is going to come close... an SC430?
Old 12-26-2002, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 S63 Cabriolet Black With Porcelain 2019 Range Rover Velar Special Edition
sl 500 2003

I just got rid of mine afer 5,000 miles in two months , they main reason is geting in and out alot. It really started to wear on me, also the abc does take up alot of little bumps but the ones in new york your going to feel alot more. I also could not stand all the noises the top made even after the dealer had it for a week. There is no way there going to get all those noises out of the interior, wait till you drive that car in NY........ it will get loaser over time. If you do not do alot of driving the car will be fine, especially highway, I did alot of city boston erea, I sell mb 's for living so i have driven them all.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Why does getting in and out of a car wear you out unless you are so unfit you ought not to be driving? If you sell MB's for a living, maybe you just wanted to sell at a premium while there's still one to be had....
Old 12-27-2002, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 S63 Cabriolet Black With Porcelain 2019 Range Rover Velar Special Edition
Angry 2003 sl 500

6 feet 183 lbs is hardly unfit, if you get in and out of your car 7 to tens per day you would know what i am talking about, Thanks for the kind remarks............:
Old 12-28-2002, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I agree it's not unfit, but the seat height is only a couple of inches below that of, say, an S-Class. I calculate you'll be expending less than half a calorie a day extra getting out of the lower car and it's nothing that a quick fix at Dunkin Donuts cannot solve. Forgive me, but that does seem a bizarre main reason to sell the car which offers so much more than any other on sale.

My SL55 roof makes no noises, there are no shakes or rattles and some of our roads are no better than those in NYC. If your MB dealer cannot fix the roof, the solution is to change dealer, not the car.

john1960, if you are concerned with ride quality, the SL has a more sporting character than the S class and that does mean a harder ride. If you want a completely isolating ride, the S class will be better. Either that, or vote in a politician who will have the courage to raise more in taxes to tackle the crumbling infra-structure.

As for the seats, the purpose of the bolsters is to provide lateral support as the car goes round corners. I find them very comfortable indeed, more so than any of my other cars and they are not as extreme as the sport seats you'll find in a 911.

Last edited by blueSL; 12-28-2002 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:37 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
We've had our '03 SL500 since March. Here are my thoughts on your questions:

A: No question, the getting in and out is a bit more difficult than for a sedan. We also have the '03 E500 and it, as a sedan, is a bit easier. But, if you want more of a sports car than a sedan, they will ride lower and you will have that with any make. But, there is a setting to make the seat go back and steering wheel raise upon entry and exit.

A: We have the launch edition wheels that are 19". The ride is adjustable and it is very smooth. I doubt you will have a problem. The wheelbase is shorter than a sedan of course and for that reason, you will notice certain road conditions a little more. Again, it is a function of the sports car rather than sedan.

A: This is absolutely no problem. The rings on the outside of the controls manage that.

A: On our SL with the Drive Dynamic seats, the bolster width is adjustable. Perhaps the one you sat in was set narrow. Having said that, again, this is a sports car with solid support intended to keep you in place. The seats are more "narrow" than on our E500 without the Drive Dynamic Seats

A: While not "easy" to learn, they are very functional and after a few times of use, I find them great. I especially like the function of our voice activated V60 phone system. Very safe to use with little more than pulling back the phone activation stalk on the right side of the steering column and speaking whatever command you want the phone to do, i.e., "dial number" and then speak the number, etc.

On balance, I see your decision as being whether you want a sports car or a sedan. For us, the decision was "both". So, we got the new SL and the new E. For commuting, I would probably choose the new E as it is a little more comfortable.