SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SRS light on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 265 Likes on 158 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
SRS light on

Recently had our 2008 SL550 in for rear defogger failure troubleshooting. First time we used the passenger seat after the car was in the shop I got an SRS warning light two hours into the trip.

Called Tele Aid to report the light on. Explained that car was recently in for service. While on the phone I discovered a loose connector at the bottom rear of the seat. I asked if they could send out a tech to check out the connector and reset anything that needed resetting. They called the tech and he recommended that the car be towed 32 miles to the nearest MB dealer.

The next morning when we had more light and with the help of another MBCA club member, we got the connector re-attached. No more SRS light. No resetting needed.

Just as a point of info, while the connector was loose, and the SRS light was on in the dashboard, the passenger airbag indicator light was also on warning that the airbag was disabled.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Exclamation SRS

I have the same problem. Tech hooked it up to STAR and said passenger sensor was faulty. Where abouts is the connector you are refferring to please?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 265 Likes on 158 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Connector location

Just to recap the symptoms....

1) When starting the car the SRS light (along with a bunch of other dashboard indicator lights) comes on to let you know that the indicator light works.

2) It goes out and then comes back on shortly afterwards.

3) The passenger airbag disabled indicator light (very small amber one) stays on whether or not someone is sitting in the passenger seat.

The connector is at the very bottom rear edge of the passenger seat. There is a skirt that comes down to almost the floor, so you are not able to see the connector. But I was able to determine that it was flopping around unconnected just by reaching beneath the lower edge of the seat and sliding my hand from left to right. Move the seat all the way forward to gain access to the area. I think the skirt can be opened by removing the screws on the lower inner and outer corners of the seat. The SRS connector should be yellow. We were able to reconnect the cable without removing the skirt. But it was a PITA and I did not do it myself.

Originally Posted by 5L500
I have the same problem. Tech hooked it up to STAR and said passenger sensor was faulty. Where abouts is the connector you are refferring to please?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 AM

SL500
Hi guys,
I had a good look like you suggested...couldnt see any yellow connectors, saw some connectors along the front edge of the seat which all appear to be intact....
Old 11-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by 5L500
Hi guys,
I had a good look like you suggested...couldnt see any yellow connectors, saw some connectors along the front edge of the seat which all appear to be intact....
Mercedes issued a service bulletin to its dealers explaining that the SRS connector for each seat is trouble-prone and may need to be replaced. Visually examining a connector reveals nothing. The problem is indicated by the presence of a particular diagnostic code in the SRS control unit and is positively diagnosed by separating the connector and measuring the resistance of the seat's "squib".

I had this problem with my passenger seat. I replaced the connector with one I bought from Radio Shack for $2. It took me about 15 minutes to install. The dealer would have removed the entire seat from the car and probably charged at least $500.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:14 AM

MB Cars, LOL!
Originally Posted by bobterry99
Mercedes issued a service bulletin to its dealers explaining that the SRS connector for each seat is trouble-prone and may need to be replaced. Visually examining a connector reveals nothing. The problem is indicated by the presence of a particular diagnostic code in the SRS control unit and is positively diagnosed by separating the connector and measuring the resistance of the seat's "squib".

I had this problem with my passenger seat. I replaced the connector with one I bought from Radio Shack for $2. It took me about 15 minutes to install. The dealer would have removed the entire seat from the car and probably charged at least $500.
lol at the stealership, Radio Shack your my next best friend..lol.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 PM

2003 SL500
Hmm. Wish I'd read this first, I might have had this problem.

Symptom: SRS light came on (and stayed on). Took it to the dealer, they tested and said the seatbelt buckle sensors were showing resistance outside normal values, and they had to be replaced. Quoted me $760 or so for both. I baled, had them call MBUSA regional to see if they would cover it for goodwill (when my Acura had a potential seatbelt buckle problem, they issued a recall and fixed them for free). They covered part of it, I ended up $130 or so out of pocket. Wonder if it was really just this connector?

Any links to the applicable service bulletin? I'm surprised MB wouldn't consider a design defect in a safety system something worthy of fixing.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 AM

SL55
Its actually high resistance in the connector for the seat belt buckle sensor that causes the SRS light to illuminate (well one of the reasons anyway)

Replacing the connector with the upgraded version, or any decent crimp, will fix the problem but the light will normally need resetting afterwards.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:39 AM

s430
Do you recall which connector you bought from radio shack?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM

sl5002003
sl500 2003 srs light

Originally Posted by davidsong77
lol at the stealership, Radio Shack your my next best friend..lol.
Can you please take a picture of that connector and I will try to do it?
I already spent money the first time it happened. Now it came on again.
I appreciate any help