SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?

I'm driving behind a black SL500 AMG on the road in my properly badged SL500 and of course I'm thinking the usual stuff about the idiot who puts an AMG badge on his SL500. The car had the AMG package, single tip exhaust, non-AMG brakes, etc... Then I pull up next to him at a red light. I glance over and he looks straight ahead the whole time.

So I'm wondering if this guy:

1) Thinks that he has fooled me into thinking he has an AMG.
2) Knows that I know that his car is not an AMG and is embarassed to look over.
3) Thinks I may want to race him at the light and that I may have a real SL55. Note: He has only seen my car from the front and I have AMG package so he probably doesn't know what I have.
4) Is wishing he also replaced the SL500 badge with SL55.
5) Has no idea what I'm talking about
Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
What I do usually depends on whether or not I'm in a real AMG vehicle.
If I'm in an AMG:
If not: Usually, nothing, except point and laugh and try making it obvious to the driver.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
NSM

SL65
Amen Quad!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
A lot of people who opt for the AMG sport package also put on the AMG badge. I don't have a problem with it.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
this issue has been discussed many times throughout this forum. it really depends, if there's just and amg badge on the trunk its not a real big deal to me. sometimes people have bought the car this way from a dealer or previous owner.
i actually had 1 on my clk430 cab because i had the amg kit and wheels before i knew it was a no no.

now what i find funny is the guy who changes his sl500 to an sl55 or actually puts the kompressor sign on the vents. now that's a real poser
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
It's funny how much members discuss this subject. I owned a few BMW's including a M3 along with a 530i with the M package and some owners purchase the M to put on their vehicles, and it doesn't really get people going like the whole AMG thing. Who really cares, when I bought my SL500 a few months ago, there was a AMG badge on the back and I didn't take it off because:
A) I really didn't care what anyone thought
B) Knew that it wasn't a real AMG and any MB owner would know as well
C) The average car person wouldn't care either
D) I like the look, am I a posser. HELL NO!
Hopefully, the people that get so upset about it, get over it and move on. If it's a nice car in good shape WTF?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM

'08 SL55
I treat the driver with respect. I don't make him feel silly.

Then I blow him away.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:08 AM

2007 SL550
I start looking to see if he's wearing a bad toupé, too.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
this is what a poser looks like! i saw this today and thought about this thread, so i took some pics.

As you can see this is clearly an cls500 or 550 but definitely not a cls55. the owner went thru the trouble of not only changing his model #'s but actually adding the kompressor tags. now thats a true poser, lol

but still none of my business
Attached Thumbnails What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?-poser-pic1.jpg   What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?-poser-pic2.jpg   What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?-poser-pic3.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:54 PM

sl 55 amg
I have pulled up next to a few fakes here and just have to laugh to myself. If I am in the Benz I just let me know what a real AMG sounds like. There are tons of posers here in Florida. Its so funny.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
If I'm in an AMG:
Originally Posted by gqa
now what i find funny is the guy who changes his sl500 to an sl55 or actually puts the kompressor sign on the vents. now that's a real poser
Yes & Yes

Although I still find that dealers placing ///AMG on the right rear trunk only brings down the brand as a whole. The more you dilute a brand, especially with "fakes", the less special the brand comes and the less people will be willing to pay the huge premium for it.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It really doesn't matter to me. Sometimes the dealers put the AMG logos on, and the guy doesn't know any better.

I was out in the F40 once and I saw what looked like a Ferrari 328, so I punched it to catch up and see if it was anyone I knew. I got within 100 feet and it became painfully obvious that it was a Fiero kit car. I pulled up next to him and tried to say hi because he was obviously a Ferrari fan, but he would not look over. I finally dropped it down a couple of gears and gave him a good look at how the F40 accelerates! Now, THAT was a poseur!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
It really doesn't matter to me. Sometimes the dealers put the AMG logos on, and the guy doesn't know any better.

I was out in the F40 once and I saw what looked like a Ferrari 328, so I punched it to catch up and see if it was anyone I knew. I got within 100 feet and it became painfully obvious that it was a Fiero kit car. I pulled up next to him and tried to say hi because he was obviously a Ferrari fan, but he would not look over. I finally dropped it down a couple of gears and gave him a good look at how the F40 accelerates! Now, THAT was a poseur!
+1

I do nothing. These days, as you said dealers slap AMG badges on and most people have no idea what a AMG is, or the differences of the NA and AMG models. So more often than not, the driver doesn't have a clue. Those that pose, oh well...
Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 PM

2003 SL500, Lamborghini Gallardo
Once I had a guy run up to my car in a parking lot. I was over at Douche(bag)... um I mean Reus Audio in SoCal. One of his office space neighbors ran up thinking that I was posing! He felt that he had the right to open up my door to see if I had any AMG badging on the door sill.

I debadged my car and did a Fabdesign kit that looks great. Lamborghini styling for the exhaust is really unique. I started laughing at how let down he was not to catch me! He probably sees a lot of MB's come and go from Rues so figured he had caught another one posing for his daily amusement.

I had to inform him that not everybody is an AMG *****. I love the styling of the car, love to be different, how can I do this by copying something that is EVERYWHERE!

He was still disappointed..
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
I would do the same thing that I do when I pull up next to a 'real' AMG Mercedes Benz. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

OTOH, if I pulled up next to a convertible being driven by a beautiful woman - topless - I would roll down my window and applaud.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
Originally Posted by oofreakoo
He felt that he had the right to open up my door to see if I had any AMG badging on the door sill.

he would have been more disappointed when I put my foot in his a$$ for touching my car without permission!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by gqa
he would have been more disappointed when I put my foot in his a$$ for touching my car without permission!
+1 btw, check out the next generation of posing

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...332184877.html

Last edited by omar26; 08-21-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 AM

'05 CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by omar26
+1 btw, check out the next generation of posing

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...332184877.html
hahaha that's a first right there!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
I would do the same thing that I do when I pull up next to a 'real' AMG Mercedes Benz. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
He was probably asking the pople who drive AMG cars.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 PM

2003 SL-500 AMG
Smile

[quote=neomonkey;3667764]I'm driving behind a black SL500 AMG on the road in my properly badged SL500 and of course I'm thinking the usual stuff about the idiot who puts an AMG badge on his SL500. The car had the AMG package, single tip exhaust, non-AMG brakes, etc... Then I pull up next to him at a red light. I glance over and he looks straight ahead the whole time.

3) Thinks I may want to race him at the light and that I may have a real SL55. Note: He has only seen my car from the front and I have AMG package so he probably doesn't know what I have.
5) Has no idea what I'm talking about[/quote

Very True about a USA spec \ purchase car. "HOWEVER:" if you purchased a 2003-4 SL-500 in Europe via maybe Military employment for instance, you would have the same spec option 1) as an average SL-500 USA or 2) with sport badging and wheels, or 3) a 80 HP upgrade with bigger brakes, ECU perfrmance flash, no pre-mufflers or un-mointored CAT'S "a better performing factory car with a much throatier sound.

The 3rd option wouldn't be available in the states and i assume unless you had military employment or an import \ export business, it wouldn't be cost effective to have one shipped to USA and additional cost to clear DOT inspection for USA Tag's.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
To me it doesn't really matter...see it all the time in the wash DC metro area inc. MD and VA. It's all good man as long as you like your car I don't really care...

I personally look at how a car is modded, how much attention to detail, how nice the car looks or it's performance etc...badging doesn't mean much to me...it's all about the love baby, the passion someone has and how they mod it, tasteful is always best!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 AM

Crossfire SRT6, Smart Forfour Brabus,Smart Roadster
This is just toooooo much!!
Both of these gems were in my building's garage!

Some people...
It was all I could do to not leave a note on the SLK saying "I actually HAVE an AMG SLK-albeit with different clothes on-and I don't feel the need to put a badge on"...
Attached Thumbnails What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?-img_0120.jpg   What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?-img_0112.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by oofreakoo
Once I had a guy run up to my car in a parking lot. I was over at Douche(bag)... um I mean Reus Audio in SoCal. One of his office space neighbors ran up thinking that I was posing! He felt that he had the right to open up my door to see if I had any AMG badging on the door sill.

I debadged my car and did a Fabdesign kit that looks great. Lamborghini styling for the exhaust is really unique. I started laughing at how let down he was not to catch me! He probably sees a lot of MB's come and go from Rues so figured he had caught another one posing for his daily amusement.

I had to inform him that not everybody is an AMG *****. I love the styling of the car, love to be different, how can I do this by copying something that is EVERYWHERE!

Ohhh ***** I would've lost it...Some people these days just amaze me, kudos to you for not losing your temper.

gqa, nice catch even more pathetic it doesn't even have the AMG body panels...
Old 04-16-2010, 04:56 PM

SL55, C350 & ML320
Many Years ago I was in Lynchburg VA visiting my in Laws we took the Testarossa up there for a nice drive from Charlotte NC.

Several Morons made the usual comments about it's a Kit car etc and so forth.

Seems this AMG thing is on the same nonsensical level as this who cares get a life.

Ian
Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 AM

2009 SL550
Originally Posted by neomonkey
I'm driving behind a black SL500 AMG on the road in my properly badged SL500 and of course I'm thinking the usual stuff about the idiot who puts an AMG badge on his SL500. The car had the AMG package, single tip exhaust, non-AMG brakes, etc... Then I pull up next to him at a red light. I glance over and he looks straight ahead the whole time.

5) Has no idea what I'm talking about
Wait until he puts an AMG badge on his Daewoo!! Then you have real cause for concern.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: What do you do when you pull up next to a fake AMG?