SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL 500 - Look for an Alternative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL 500
SL 500 - Look for an Alternative

Take a good look at all the issues that have been posted on this forum concerning the SL 500, then look again at Porsche, Corvette, Lexus, etc. I have been a staunch fan of Mercedes for years; however, I'm giving up the ghosts as soon as practical. A reluctant deserter.

Last edited by BENZGR; 10-09-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 PM

2010 E350
You've been a MB supporter for many years with 7 posts? Must have been a closet supporter. See ya.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by BENZGR
Take a good look at all the issues that have been posted on this forum concerning the SL 500, then look again at Porsche, Corvette, Lexus, etc.
Maybe it is a good idea for you to sell your car, but the comparison to other brands based upon forums is worthless. There are other variables in play.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55 AMG
I've got an alternative for ya, buy an SL55. Who wants a slow SL500 anyhow?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM

2003 SL 500
I drove a 1989 560 SL for almost 20 years and the engine finally blew; however, I had no issue that had me searching for a forum and only a small percentage of owners, Mercedes or otherwise, use the available forums. The 500 SL has been less than I expected; however, I know this forum is used by people looking for solutions, as a sounding board, and individuals that "luv" their machine. Of course, we all make choices and then live with them. I found this forum when I had an issue with my Keyless Go and found a lot of useful information, thanks. The 500, 600, AMG's, etc. are beautiful vehicles; however, when they don't start a lot of the "charm" is lost. Mercedes has been given a very poor rating on reliabilty by most automotive journals, I was aware of that but "luved" my 560 so much I decided to take a chance. I enjoy this forum, don't expect everyone to agree with me or anyone else; however, I do notice that some are inclinded to hit people on the head for "spullen erros", small details, "newbies" and statements that are not well received. If I get rid of the Mercedes I'll still check this forum because it seems to be a place where people give good technical information and are are for the most part friendly, cooperative, and pleasant. Have a great day.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by aluthman
I've got an alternative for ya, buy an SL55. Who wants a slow SL500 anyhow?
If there is anyone in the U.S. who wishes to dump their "slow" SL500, please PM me. I wouldn't mind having two.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL500R, 500SL, C230, 560SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 300CD.
I have owned countless British cars, Italian cars, Homegrown cars and finally no less than 23 Benzes and Bimmers 15 of them of the SL line. However different these machines may be, they all do share one common tread: They all do break down, and more or less with equal financial and sequential results.
A forum is a modem to use when looking for answers and not for entertainment. Lest what can happen to others may happen to you.
So why plunge into the worry pond every day looking at others difficulties ??? Furthermore I do believe that modifications, abuse, lack of proper maintenance and bad driving habits has a lot to do with the car reliability. You just don't pay top dollars for these cars and than skim on proper maintenance and qualified service.
The fact remains that the SL was, is and will always be the most user friendly and reliable and desirable supercar in the market. blessed with great look and world class parts and service network.
May be a look at Porsche or Bimmer or Ferrari and Maserati forum is the cure for the skeptics.
And finally my 500 has power to spare and my favorite motto is LESS IS MORE.
Cheers...
Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM

2003 SL 500
I didn't plunge into the pool looking for "others difficulties", I have a problem with my Keyless Go Card and wanted to see if others have the same issue and how they resolved the problem. I took a copy of the post to my dealer and he said the pump is the first thing they check because it can cause so many difficulties; however, there was no sign of a problem in that area. The dealership has made every effort to resolve the issue, kept my auto for a week, provided a loaner vehicle, and have been very user friendly, bottom line they admit they are stumped.
This is my second Mercedes, the first one was a 560SL that I drove and enjoyed for almost 20 years, believe me maintenance is a high priority. For example, I think 6,000 miles between oil changes is over the top and I change my oil every 3,000 miles. I rarely drive over 80mph and avoid "rabbit starts".
I agree, mechanical things break; however, check the reliability ratings for Mercedes and you will see that electrical issues are prevelant for Mercedes.
As for styling, Mercedes is the very best in my opinion. You say this board is not about entertainment, as for me my automobile provides me a great deal of entertainment as well as transportation.
My auto has 26,000 well maintained miles and should be "perfect".
Have a blessed life.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM

2004 SL500 Sport
I can understand how you must feel having issues with your SL. Nothing worse than wanting to drive your lovely car for it not to start or light up like 4th of July. I'm not going to tell you I've owned 40+ class in my life time since I'm only 28 and my past years of motoring are somewhat limited. However, I have owned two corvettes a porsche (996 turbo "s" and my father had a 911 and a boxster) and currently own an SL500. Corvettes are pretty bullet proof but are not without mechanical gremmlins. Look closely at the forums and you'll see what I'm talking about. I did all of my own work in vette so it wasn't a big deal if something went wrong. Great car and pretty reliable even at 550rwhp (for the modified Z06 and 400rwhp for a C5). But build quality is not the greatest. I'm waiting a few years to see if I can find an 09 ZR1...that's a fast car!!!

Porsche....humm....my stay with that car didn't last. Amazing car...fast...well put together...but unfortunately, my car was not very reliable. Mostly electrical issues but it spent a good amount of time in the shop getting stuff repaired. That could have been left over issues from the first owner (I was the second owner) but concerning nevertheless.

Lexus...let's take the closest SL competitor...SC430...not a looker by any standars...actually pretty boring looking car. However, it is very reliable...then again it is a lexus.

I'm not trying to persuade you to keep your SL...if you have lost your "love" for the car...sell it....it's pretty hard to get it back. But issues will arise with any highend car...just part of owning them.

Last edited by gmethod; 10-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:58 PM

2003 SL 500
Thanks for your response. The Keyless Go has been my only issue; however, I expect all options to work. The KG has performed flawlessly for about a week, maybe it has "cured" itself. I don't trade cars too often, had the 560 SL for almost 20 years. Maybe the 500 will exceed my expectations. Thanks, again.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 PM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
Originally Posted by gmethod
I can understand how you must feel having issues with your SL. Nothing worse than wanting to drive your lovely car for it not to start or light up like 4th of July. I'm not going to tell you I've owned 40+ class in my life time since I'm only 28 and my past years of motoring are somewhat limited. However, I have owned two corvettes a porsche (996 turbo "s" and my father had a 911 and a boxster) and currently own an SL500. Corvettes are pretty bullet proof but are not without mechanical gremmlins. Look closely at the forums and you'll see what I'm talking about. I did all of my own work in vette so it wasn't a big deal if something went wrong. Great car and pretty reliable even at 550rwhp (for the modified Z06 and 400rwhp for a C5). But build quality is not the greatest. I'm waiting a few years to see if I can find an 09 ZR1...that's a fast car!!!

Porsche....humm....my stay with that car didn't last. Amazing car...fast...well put together...but unfortunately, my car was not very reliable. Mostly electrical issues but it spent a good amount of time in the shop getting stuff repaired. That could have been left over issues from the first owner (I was the second owner) but concerning nevertheless.

Lexus...let's take the closest SL competitor...SC430...not a looker by any standars...actually pretty boring looking car. However, it is very reliable...then again it is a lexus.

I'm not trying to persuade you to keep your SL...if you have lost your "love" for the car...sell it....it's pretty hard to get it back. But issues will arise with any highend car...just part of owning them.
i agree there always issues..BUT when yr car doesnt start..or is at shop for extended periods of time..and it happens o may owners with them..it shows there are issues. Its a burden/stress and embarrasing when yr Mb is alwasy at shop or doesnt start, alarm goes off, can lock/u lock doors, pops out of gear on a hwy etc... its a bit of a pain. I have had extended warr on all my cars, never used it once. I have used this 1 3x in 5-6 months..and 2 months of that time car in MB shops! so i guess i got the lemon. an expensive lemon. But it does look good!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM

SL 500
Originally Posted by BENZGR
Thanks for your response. The Keyless Go has been my only issue; however, I expect all options to work. The KG has performed flawlessly for about a week, maybe it has "cured" itself. I don't trade cars too often, had the 560 SL for almost 20 years. Maybe the 500 will exceed my expectations. Thanks, again.
I have to say if you own a 2003 SL500 (1st generation) of the R230, and the only issue you have encountered is the keyless go, then, I think you have really lucked out and avoided some of the serious issues w/ the car.

Granted it's beautiful, fun to drive, and safe as a tank, but there are known issues which can stump owners at anytime. Electronics are the major issues coupled with questionable, complicated suspension systems, but the good news, you can avoid some major problem through upkeep and some research on your own i.e.forums, and talking with a MB master mechanic.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by djamer
I have to say if you own a 2003 SL500 (1st generation) of the R230, and the only issue you have encountered is the keyless go, then, I think you have really lucked out and avoided some of the serious issues w/ the car.

Granted it's beautiful, fun to drive, and safe as a tank, but there are known issues which can stump owners at anytime. Electronics are the major issues coupled with questionable, complicated suspension systems, but the good news, you can avoid some major problem through upkeep and some research on your own i.e.forums, and talking with a MB master mechanic.
my car has all service records from MB, just seems like its a known thing about the electrical, suspension and other things..but thats what bugs me is that its known and accepted..its a high end car, and has major issues since day 1 ,i guess and people accept it..worse i think is that MB released it and thinks that knd of craftmansgip is ok. i love the car MINUS the issues..but issues that are VERY expensive to fix and really shouldnt happen with a car of this standard...thats my issue. BUT saying tha its beautiful to drive, look at etc. i just got my sub/amp etc. for install when i get it back from the shop...not sure why i keep it, or putting $ into it, but where do u stop and cut yr losses. too much of a pain to sell private, dealers rip u off, so mine as well drive the sh*t out of it and enjoy it as its my daily driver..when its not i the shop. LOL
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 PM

SL 500
Originally Posted by VendettaMB
my car has all service records from MB, just seems like its a known thing about the electrical, suspension and other things..but thats what bugs me is that its known and accepted..its a high end car, and has major issues since day 1 ,i guess and people accept it..worse i think is that MB released it and thinks that knd of craftmansgip is ok. i love the car MINUS the issues..but issues that are VERY expensive to fix and really shouldnt happen with a car of this standard...thats my issue. BUT saying tha its beautiful to drive, look at etc. i just got my sub/amp etc. for install when i get it back from the shop...not sure why i keep it, or putting $ into it, but where do u stop and cut yr losses. too much of a pain to sell private, dealers rip u off, so mine as well drive the sh*t out of it and enjoy it as its my daily driver..when its not i the shop. LOL
agreed. Drive it hard, enjoy it, u live once so go for it. As long as the car is covered, don't worry. One thing i think most will agree, the engines are pretty solid.. just the outsourced electronic parts are worthless..sad but true.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by djamer
agreed. Drive it hard, enjoy it, u live once so go for it. As long as the car is covered, don't worry. One thing i think most will agree, the engines are pretty solid.. just the outsourced electronic parts are worthless..sad but true.
well put!!! have a great weekend
Old 10-10-2009, 07:40 AM

2003 SL 500
I would appreciate more information from individuals that have bought extended warranties and have been satisfied with the contract. It seems that most companies want to pay for after market parts and labor cost from the 50's and others claim "preexisting condition" and refuse to pay at all. Thanks to all who have responded to this thread and I'm starting a thread on insurance and believe there may be a lot of interest in that topic. Thanks again for all the responses.