SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Speedo change from MPH to KPH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Speedo change from MPH to KPH

Hi All, I have just joined this forum and have a problem with my Merc.
It is a 2004 SL500, the speedometer reads in MPH as does the digital display, I am moving to Spain next month and need to have a KPH reading.
I have emailed Mercedes who tell me that I can change the digital display by using the steering wheel buttons and they sent me a procedure for doing this, the only problem is that I do not have all of the menu's that they say are there. I told them this and they then referred me to my main dealer who they said would sort me out.
I have taken the car to my local Mercedes dealer who again tried the steering wheel buttons to no avail, they have then checked and now tell me that the car will only read in MPH on both the analogue and digital speedo's and there is nothing they can do.
I also note that UK Road Vehicle Regulations 1986 state that:-

Speedometers
35.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

Can anyone please advise me if the Speedo reading can be changed to read KPH and if not where I stand legally?

Many thanks,
Tony
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
NEVER heard of one that could not change it...Sounds VERY strange. In Star Diagnose you can program it on what menus it should show. Have they tried to change that?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl500
This is one of the anomalys of this car.
With Porsche and BMW it works normally. You switch digital to kmh, change gauge plates (porsche) and you are done.
But with SL it is different. Once you switch digital to kmh, the analog in mph also switches to kmh. So, basically you get kmh on scale from 0-160, as in mph. When you reach 160 kmh on highway the analog tacho simply stops and digital shows further speed.
so, american spec cars should have replaced the whole cluster, if you replace just gauge plates to kmh the tacho does not show it correctly.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by jobe
This is one of the anomalys of this car.
With Porsche and BMW it works normally. You switch digital to kmh, change gauge plates (porsche) and you are done.
But with SL it is different. Once you switch digital to kmh, the analog in mph also switches to kmh. So, basically you get kmh on scale from 0-160, as in mph. When you reach 160 kmh on highway the analog tacho simply stops and digital shows further speed.
so, american spec cars should have replaced the whole cluster, if you replace just gauge plates to kmh the tacho does not show it correctly.
That was not his problem...
Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 sl55, 2011 CTS coupe
I bought a 2004 SL55 which was imported from the US to Canada. According to a downloaded owner's manual, Canadian SL55s can switch from MPH to KM from the steering wheel. This is not an option for the SL55s headed for the States. There is a KMH light (faint) in the right quadrant of the speedo, so I took it to the local dealer who did his magic with the computer and now all works in KM, even L/100KM for mileage. Speedometer tops out at 200KM/H though....
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 AM

2003 SL500
my post from about 2 years ago...
Although the manual for my 2003 SL states there is a menu item for miles/km it does not appear in my car's menu. Here's how I was able to get the ability to display km...
I have a 2003 in US.
Wanted to be able to switch to kph for visit to Canada.
Dealer was able to use their software tool to designate kph for one of my keys if I activated "Key dependent" in the "Convenience submenu" on the Multifunction display. On my recent trip I took along the proper key and started the trip with "Key dependent" off - mph. After crossing the border I pulled over and set "Key dependent" to on - kph. Speedometer, odometer, fuel milage, navigation system, etc - all switched over to metric measurements. Returning to US set "Key dependent" to off and was back to mph.
Good luck.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 AM

SL500
Thanks for the comments, I have just got back from my local Mercedes dealership, they have tested the car on their "Star" computer and found that there are numerous faults showing and the computer can't access the dashboard binnacle.
They say I will need a new binnacle to address the problem at a cost of £1800, they are trying to find out if a European binnacle would fit which would then cure my original problem.
So the dilemma is do I sell the car and buy something in Spain or do I spend the money and keep the car.
Regarding the comment on "Key dependent" I'm not sure I understand this, are you saying that the car could automatically switch over to kph? What does "Key dependent" do and how?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM

sl500
Just buy ECE version tacho cluster and install it for european use. This would be the most cost effective thing to do. Cost a few hundred euros on ebay.
Every decent car electronic shop can take care of it.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 PM

sl500
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
That was not his problem...
It is, actually.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 PM

SL500
Now looking at getting a new face put on the speedo that reads in MPH and km/h. Much cheaper if they can do it.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
There is no such thing....I really dont understand this thread...IF you have a mph cluster you can enter the menues and just ask it to show km/h if you like. If this menu is not pressent you can make it pressent with Star Diagnose and all problems are gone.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM

SL500
Chris,
I have been to Mercedes and they tell me there is something wrong with my cluster and the Star computer won't talk to it. They say they can replace the whole instrument cluster for about £1800 but won't guarantee that will be ok and can only change it with a UK (MPH) cluster. So a lot of money with no guarantee that it will provide a successful outcome. No impressed with Mercedes at all.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
There is NO problem at all to fit another cluster in...Thay all work if installed corectly with Star. I've done it several times.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 PM

SL500
To fit another cluster it must be new (or so Mercedes tell me) and that will cost £1800. Because Star is showing faults and won't talk to my cluster they will not guarantee that the replacement will cure the problem. If I knew of someone with Star that would look at it for me and fix it I would be there like a shot but that is not the case and I am not willing to throw money at Mercedes and keep my fingers crossed. As far as replacing the speedo face there is no formal way of doing this but there are companies that do do it.
I am finding this problem very frustrating and it's not helped by people saying just enter the menu on the steering wheel and change it (the menu is NOT on there on my car) or that Star will fix it (Mercedes say that option is greyed out and Star can't/won't talk to my instrument cluster)
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
YES..It MUST be new to make the ODO work properly or it will only show a dotted line blinking. If they dont know if it fix the problem or not then they are amatours. If they change it to fix a problem and they dont then they cant charge for it eighter. I can get one for a better price for you but it still must be installed at MB. Just changing the face will just result in a faulty reading and you still have mph on all else.

Last edited by Chris The Swede; 09-12-2012 at 03:38 AM.