Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SLR & SL Roadsters > SL-Class (R230)
SL500 R230 Vario Roof problems >

SL500 R230 Vario Roof problems

Notices
SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL500 R230 Black with Berry interior w/ Lowenhart LSR Wheels and w/ 30k miles

Hi: New to this site looking for some help with my Vario Roof. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

2006 SL500 R230 with about 30k miles

Front Vario roof lock hydraulic cylinder leaked for about 2 weeks before replacing it. By that time too much hydraulic fluid had leaked out to operate the roof and the Rollover bar is stuck in the middle of its cycle.

When replacing the Front vario roof lock hydraulic cylinder, I unlocked the roof manually with an allen wrench and raised the roof about one foot. After the installation everything seemed to work properly. I pushed the Vario roof locked limit switch S69/3 located on the left locking mechanism and the windows went from the short stroke position to the full up position.

I then shut the trunk and moved the car and was going to fill the hydraulic fluid later. Later when I tried to open the trunk, it would not open. There are several causes that will not allow me to open the trunk even with the mechanical key:

1] the rollover bar remains stuck in the midway position and I have not tried to move it manually

2] In operation and the silhouette of the car remains showing on the dash. When I switch the main switch it sounds as though it is cycling through, however there is no movement due to the deficiency in the hydraulic fluid. Since the RVC thinks that the roof is in operation, it won't let me open the trunk.

3] Upon further research, I have found that the Right tubular frame is locked in the trunk open normally mode, while the Left tubular frame is locked in the top open/ close mode. In other words: the trunk opens from the back on the left side as if the top were going down, while the right side is locked down as if you were opening the trunk.

The possible conclusion being that the Left and/or right Tubular frame locked switch S118/1 &118/2 are not registering that the trunk lid has locked itself completely; I am thinking that the problem is with the left side switch.

If there is a way to unlock the Right side tubular switch and open the trunk in the direction as if the top were lowering, or if we could lock the left side tubular switch and open the trunk normally, we could then fill the hydraulic fluid and I believe the roof would function properly as it was before the fluid loss.

I believe that I can get my hand into the front left side of the trunk if there is a way to unlock that Right side tubular frame, we could get into the trunk by lifting the trunk rearwards as if the top were lowering. I can definitely get my hand into the left side to trip that Left side tubular frame locked switch if that is the better way to go.

I would like to be able to let the RVC know that the top is all the way up and locked so that I can get my windows out of the short stroke mode. Can Star diagnostics override the switches? Take me out of the short stroke mode? Let me access the trunk?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:01 AM

98 sl 500
Help - 06 sl500 - I hit the top open while moving 5 mph and it started to open - trunk started to raise 8inchs then stopped.. I tried to close it.. it moved an inch.. I pulled over put it in park and tried to open/close but it seems stuck with the trunk at 3inches open . the console switch produces the noise of a motor working in the trunk but nothing is moving, (on the up or down) pull of switch. Flaps are good... any ideas???
Old 09-29-2018, 10:54 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 768 Likes on 717 Posts
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350, FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Try operating the switch while someone else either pushes or pull on the lid (whichever direction to match how you are operating the switch).
Old 03-12-2019, 02:09 AM

sl500amg
Guys, first post here. My 2007 sl 500 last night decided to stop lowering the roof - it is now 3 inches from fully down with the red alarm signal on the dash if I drive - which I had to do. I think I heard a bump when the roof was lowering a few seconds before it stopped - i'm now stuck with a open top car with the trunk 3 inches out of alignment. Is there a manual way to lift the roof up to allow me to get to a garage or just drive with the roof up until I can source a reputable garage?
Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 768 Likes on 717 Posts
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350, FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to add your car's model year and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

MBZ has a diagnostic aid that sometimes helps at least to identify "where" it has stopped. I have a copy of it here:

http://benzbits.com/r230/roof/VarioR...gnosticAid.pdf

Non of the scenarios seem to cover your situation, so my guess is that there is a physical blockage. I assume you have tried closing (raising) the roof and it still will not operate? Do you hear the hydraulic pump operating when you press the control switch?