SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Rear cats coming apart, can I delete?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
Rear cats coming apart, can I delete?

Without the check engine light coming on?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:58 AM

2004 sl500
No lights will come on. Just had mine removed about a month ago.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:23 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by nylefty31
No lights will come on. Just had mine removed about a month ago.
So what differences do you notice? Mostly, how does it sound?!

Do you have any plans on getting the light off?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 PM

2004 sl500
No plans on lights coming on and from reading threads have not heard of lights coming on.

There is def a difference but nothing crazy or to noticeable. Mostly on deeper roar and sounds lot nicer when getting on the gas. Did not effect noise in cabin at all or at any speed.

They charged me $125 to cut out and replace with pipes. For the money , it is 100% worth the difference.

Search youtube, Mercedes sl or r230 muffler delete or resonator delete
Old 05-24-2014, 09:52 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Goodie goodie, thanks..
Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Mine were doing the same and I actually made an appointment to have them replaced with aftermarket (Monroe I think.. they make a universal cat that fits exactly)

Got there and decided I just wanted straight pipes welded in after they removed the old cats. It was actually cheaper because I didn't have to buy the new cats.

It is NOT a night and day difference but the car sounds much better!

You only hear it in two specific instances:
1. When starting the car in the garage, when it revs you hear a throatier growl than before. You'll notice difference.

2. From 1500-2000rpm when accelerating, you'll hear that roar again. It doesn't vibrate anything and there is no droning inside the car. With the top down you start hitting the gas harder from 1500rpm until 2000rpm because it just sounds so awesome

I always drive top down but don't remember hearing much of a difference inside after the cats were removed when the top is up (1500rpm roar is better as mentioned above, but if you don't accelerate hard it's not that noticeable)

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Almost unnoticable if you drive slow and an amazing roar when you drive it hard. What a great combination!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:25 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by bha
Mine were doing the same and I actually made an appointment to have them replaced with aftermarket (Monroe I think.. they make a universal cat that fits exactly)

Got there and decided I just wanted straight pipes welded in after they removed the old cats. It was actually cheaper because I didn't have to buy the new cats.

It is NOT a night and day difference but the car sounds much better!

You only hear it in two specific instances:
1. When starting the car in the garage, when it revs you hear a throatier growl than before. You'll notice difference.

2. From 1500-2000rpm when accelerating, you'll hear that roar again. It doesn't vibrate anything and there is no droning inside the car. With the top down you start hitting the gas harder from 1500rpm until 2000rpm because it just sounds so awesome Hi

I always drive top down but don't remember hearing much of a difference inside after the cats were removed when the top is up (1500rpm roar is better as mentioned above, but if you don't accelerate hard it's not that noticeable)

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Almost unnoticable if you drive slow and an amazing roar when you drive it hard. What a great combination!
That's what I wanted to hear! Cats will be gone tomorrow! Have you guys considered removing the front pair?
What are the pros & cons of removing the front pair (if anyone knows)?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Do not Remove the forward cats as the car will no longer pass emissions and will trip a MIL. if i remember correctly one side is permanently attached to the exhaust manifold anyway so you would need to buy new headers to do that... Not the type of car for that modification...

Rear cat delete is perfect for this car though. the sound is amazing