SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SRS Warning Light and Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
SRS Warning Light and Message

My search of this forum discloses older posts pertaining to older cars ... '03, '04, '05 SL550s ... discussing SRS warning lights and Take car to MB dealership for work (or words to that effect) messages on the dash display.

My car is an '07, and the SRS warning appears when I start the car ... sometimes, but not always. And the warning goes away after a coupla minutes of driving. Also ... sometimes, but not always ... there's an audible fast clicking noise from somewhere over my left shoulder. The clicking also goes away after a few seconds.

Some people on the forum report similar problems ... say they (the problems) do not occur when they (the drivers) use their second key ... they suspect that the key may be the source of the problem. I have only one key for my car, but a second key is on order and I will try it.

A local indy MB mech hooked up the STAR equipment and reported that the SRS had stored some codes, but so long as the SRS light goes out, just drive it and don't worry about it ... if it stays on, come back to see me.

Does anyone else have similar problems with an '07 or newer SL550? If so, have you had it (them) repaired? What is the problem, and what is the remedy?
Old 02-14-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
There are many things that could cause this and I wouldn't listen to the drive and forget advice since it is the supplemental restraint system (SRS). It could be anything from an issue with the sensors for the seatbelt and there is a known problem with the harness under the seats that needs to be replaced on some cars. I would get a second opinion because if you get into a wreck, you'll most certainly need it. See if you can get the list of codes and you might get some better advice.

Cheers.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by RoundTheBenz
I wouldn't listen to the drive and forget advice since it is the supplemental restraint system (SRS).
I wholeheartedly agree with Round... There is a reason why the light stays on longer, and even if temporary, it still remains to be a malfunction in the system. Brakes and Supplemental Restraint System are two components that I feel should always be at 100%.

What I would do is I would go to the NHTSA website to search for TSBs.. I think it would be fair to say that Mercedes Benz (and possibly other brands) always seem to have numerous issues with the seat belts and the SRS system as a whole, some of which were resolved by a safety recall, others have had TSBs issued describing a problem and a fix.

Link:

By the way... Your Avatar lists a 2007 E350, and yet at the bottom of your post, you ask about an SL550...

If you are in an E350, it appears that there has been 2 TSBs issued regarding a Front Seat Belt Retractor, but only 2 that MAY BE related to the noise problem you described. One was issued March 2012, and the other issued shortly thereafter, in April of 2012. I could not find anything related to a 2007 SL550 seat belts but please, do run your own search and see.

Lastly, if you need more info that what you see in that brief "Summary", on the first results page, thn after clicking on the Technical Service bullitens tab, you wikll see the list of TSBs related to the particular issue you selected, and in each box, there is a check box labelled "Request Research". If you check that box and provide your mailing information, they will mail you the entire report they have on that particular issue. (And do not worry about the cost... I have never had to pay).

Hope this helps....
The following users liked this post:
lch1899 (12-18-2021)
Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 PM

2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Many thanks for those posts. I haven't added the SL550 to my log-in info ... thanks for the reminder. I'll visit the NHTSA site(s) and see what's there. I appreciate your responses.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I get the SRS warning message occasionally in my 2008 SL550. In every instance the problem was a disconnected connector at the bottom rear edge of the passenger seat. The connector loosens up when I use the seat forward button on the top of the seat back near the head rest. As long as I just move the seat back forward with the switch on the door I do not have a problem with the SRS warning. I should have gotten this fixed while the car was still under warranty.

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Many thanks for those posts. I haven't added the SL550 to my log-in info ... thanks for the reminder. I'll visit the NHTSA site(s) and see what's there. I appreciate your responses.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:22 PM

2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
I'm hoping this case can be stamped "Closed." The electronic ignition module [EIM] had to be replaced. The symptoms were: SRS warning light would come on at start-up, but only occasionally. While the warning was on, the windshield wipers/squirter would not operate and sometimes ... not always, but frequently ... the yellow Roll Bar Alert light would illuminate while the SRS warning was displayed. I finally got the warning to appear while the car was at the MB shop and attached to the diagnostic equipment. Technicians concluded that all the problems traced back to the EIM. So far, so good.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL350
Just had the Electronic Ignition Switch replaced so am hopeful
that all the symptoms have gone away! My Indy assures me that
will fix the problem
Old 07-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SL550R
Originally Posted by fgwinn
I get the SRS warning message occasionally in my 2008 SL550. In every instance the problem was a disconnected connector at the bottom rear edge of the passenger seat. The connector loosens up when I use the seat forward button on the top of the seat back near the head rest. As long as I just move the seat back forward with the switch on the door I do not have a problem with the SRS warning. I should have gotten this fixed while the car was still under warranty.
Brought this back to say thanks!!

SRS light came on after I had been fiddling with the passenger seat and rear buckle belt thing (I haven't had this car long). Read this and that's exactly what it was. Move the seat all the way forward and UP using the door controls and you'll feel the plug connector hanging loose, just plug it back in!

Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 PM

MBZ 87 300D, 08 SL55
Originally Posted by fgwinn
Exactly the same thing happened to me on my 2008 SL55 as happened to fgwinn (connector under the passenger seat disconnected). Mine apparently happened when I used the switch on the top of the seat to move the seat forward to check fuses.

I had several DTCs and SRS trouble light on the dash

WSS - Weight Sensing System
9402 - Faulty connection to component B48/4 (Pressure sensor)
9602 - Faulty connection to component B48/3 (Belt tension sensor)

AB - Airbag
9080 - A component of control module WSS is faulty. For further information, read out the DTC memory of control unit WSS.
9083 - A component of control module WSS is faulty. For further information, read out the DTC memory of control unit WSS.

Move the passenger seat up and forward and if you have a mirror look on the bottom of the seat in back. If you can see some of the red connector (very back, on leftish side when facing forward) just reach down and squeeze them back together. If it happens again, I’ll see if I can do a zip tie or something to prevent a future disconnect.

Reconnecting cleared all of the above codes upon starting the car.

Many thanks, fgwinn. I was expecting to have to remove the seat to diagnose the problem when I ran across your post. You saved me an afternoon.
The following users liked this post:
ChrisAFL (05-17-2021)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Originally Posted by Heatwave
I'm hoping this case can be stamped "Closed." The electronic ignition module [EIM] had to be replaced. The symptoms were: SRS warning light would come on at start-up, but only occasionally. While the warning was on, the windshield wipers/squirter would not operate and sometimes ... not always, but frequently ... the yellow Roll Bar Alert light would illuminate while the SRS warning was displayed. I finally got the warning to appear while the car was at the MB shop and attached to the diagnostic equipment. Technicians concluded that all the problems traced back to the EIM. So far, so good.
That was exactly what happened to me a few years ago in my 05 SL500. I would get clicking from my seat, and when that would happen my wipers wouldn't work, my seat heaters would not work, the steering wheel adjustments would not work, roll bar light, etc. Sometimes tapping the key would stop it, but next time I'd get in the car it would do it again.

I lived with most of that until the rainy season came, and I had no wipers, so I took the car to my independent mechanic who took it upon himself to disassemble to EIS and clean all the contacts, and after that, all my problems related to it disappeared.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
ML320 W163 2000
SRS Warning light on all time ML320 W163 2000

My SRS warning light is on all the time - my garage said to leave it until the MOT test (UK) next January, but is that a good idea? I guess the computer testing will show up what is wrong, but could I need to replace the airbags? The manual says they need replacing after fifteen years, which was five years ago! My local garage said that would be "bloody expensive" and they never change airbags. Can the computer be hacked so the warning light doesn't come on? The car is still working fine, and apart from a lot of minor cosmetic glitches is a great car, but I don't have much dosh to spend on repairs and it would shame to lose the car - I'm hoping it will last another 20 years! It's only done 126k miles.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:35 AM

2005 SL500
I had same issue with my 2005 SL500. Could push up on key and would most of the time go away. Well, it turned out to be the rosette (the threaded ring around the key opening was loose. This holds the EIS in place. Tightened it and problem solved. There is a claw wrench ($15) made for tightening this.
I have seen many posts of people pushing up on the key and I'll bet this is the problem. When the indy takes it off and cleans it of course it's put back on tight. Cleaning probably did nothing.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
I had the occasional SRS warning and it was the connector under the driver's seat. I wiggled it and the light has never come back on. I think this is a common problem area.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 sl600