SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Lexus SC430 Better???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Cool SL500 envy counseling

Originally posted by jco-amg
I have been watching this thread grow and grow and wondering why????
I have been telling myself..."don't contribute...don't encourage the thread"...but I can't stand it any more....

This is not even a valid question....I am sorry but the SL...even the 500 is in a whole different league...Please....Give it a rest!!!
Agree. So much jealousy, insecurity, envy and unhappiness.

It's too obvious which is a more desirable car. But, ok, let's do the good deed and say it out: my SL breaks down all the time, I wish I bought a reliable, better value, nicer interior/exterior Lexus (with the killer radio). In fact, the SC430 is so much more superior one shouldn't even need to test drive the SL500 to compare!

And of course, all SL500 owners have been secretly checking on all the Lexus forums but they're just too shy and embarrassed to show their interests.

Yes, I wish I bought a Lexus, I wish I bought a Lexus, I wish I bought a Lexus..
Old 06-26-2002, 09:58 AM

ML 500 Sport
ROTFLMAO.......I have 4 cars. Thats more than enough to buy a SL. And why should i stop smoking? Is that even relevant here? I can smoke every hour of every day and not have to worry about money, can you do that??? In fact, can anyone on this board do that??? Im sure there are some super rich CEO's on this board that MAY be able to do that, but how would it look if they're at a board meeting? Not very good. Me? I can do whatever and not have to worry about $$$ or being broke. Beat that.
Wow...that explains alot!!!

why should i stop smoking?
Because it is affecting your judgement in a negative way dude
Old 06-26-2002, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Mark Norton
If any of you guys were planning to sell some WorldCom stock to pay for your SL, now might be a good time to re-evaluate the Lexus...
What a thrilling ride!!

http://www2.marketwatch.com/tools/qu...1&imgInput.y=8
Old 06-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Agreed

If he just keeps smoking pot than maybe he can drive an imaginary fairy mobile in his THC induced haze.

I agree, lets all sell our crappy Mercedes (my CLK55 is too slow anyway) and go out and buy Toyota's today! Let us all embrace poor styling and bad taste and buy an SC! I mean, who cares what a car looks like as long as my Bee Gees 8 tracks sound good on the factory radio.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:00 PM

All im saying is, the Lexus does have some things that are better than the Mercedes and vice versa. Sure, in your guys' opinion, the Mercedes has alot of things that are better. Im not arguing that. Im just saying the things that are better in the Mercedes is noth worth 40k+markup imo. What your paying for is the 3 point star. I can get the 3 point star at a local import shop for 20bucks

YES the SL500 is a very very sexy car. I never said it wasnt. I just said the price looks very very ugly for the quality. Mercedes could've made the car better for the price. At least put a better system in it.

I only like the sl500. All other mercedes is junk imo.

I dont care what you guys have to say about the Lex. I think it looks hot and thats all that counts right?

How many of you guys actually have the SL500 and not just 'on the waiting list'?

And how many of u guys are under 25?

Last edited by pot_head; 06-26-2002 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Of course

Of course you are confused and keep changing what you think you are saying . Of course you think the SC is good looking and all Mercedes are junk except for the SL (I might as well dump my CLK 55 and go out and get an Avalon right now). This is consistent with your tenuous grip on reality and dillusional visions due to your lack of brain cells, common sense and good taste.

Now, repeat after me (remember this is you saying this) "I will stay on the Toyota message board and not venture where I don't belong, I will stay on the Toyota message board and not venture where I don't belong, I will stay on the Toyota message board and not venture where I don't belong"

Last edited by ibanez; 06-26-2002 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
The best thing about the SL is the way it drives. A test drive is a must with this car.

Besides, the stone interior is really nice, for some reason most dealerships only order the charcoal leather with walnut which doesn't do the car justice. Charcoal should only be ordered with ash while the stone goes really well with the walnut wood trim.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Under

Hey, I am not under 25. Crack head is obviously under 25 (or maybe he just has the mental skills and reasoning of a twelve year old which is more likely)
Old 06-27-2002, 08:22 AM

Sorry for saying all benz are junk. I shouldnt have said that. I should be saying alot of benz could be better for the price.

Umm, i think you guys should go back to school or at least learn to read. I said the least mercedes could've done is put a better system. I didnt say the sl is cheap cuz it has a bad system. I didnt say the sl sucks. Ppl on this board are pretty uptight. Loosen your collars lay back and relax. Breath..in...out...in...out...

And why does everyone here say i cant afford one? Even tho the sl is overpriced, im going to get one anyways. Why? Just to rub it in your guys face. well, not just that. i like the sl also. Its the first and last benz i would buy for myself tho.

But seriously, i bought a 01 slk230 for my girlfriend today. its not bad. i like hardtops converts but seriously, that interior is pretty crappy. My bmw has a similar interior. And its a 95 e36 too. I would think Mercedes wouldve made the interior of a 01 car much nicer than a e36 bmw. The slk rattles more than the bmw, even tho the bmw has 35k miles more than the slk.

So nobody here agrees with what i said? about the sl being a very sexy car? How come nobody here agrees with me? Does everyone here think the sl's interior cant be any better? i can think of a few things mercedes couldve done to make the interior better. Oh sorry, i forgot all mercedes owners are biased. Prove me wrong. I own a lexus and i even have good things to say about the mercedes lineup of cars. And i admitted i was wrong for saying all mercedes are crap except the sl and i apoligized. in my first post on this subject, i've said good things about the sl. So do u guys think everything about lexus sucks? i'd like to hear from some of u guys on this. i really want to know what kind of ppl are on this board. uptight little kids who think what they have are the best and will go to the end of the world to prove it or ppl who admit that what they have can be better.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:05 AM

pot_head,

I don't remember that I criticized any Lexus (my personal opinion is any car in or above this price range is not for "practical" purpose anymore, and it is personal taste being dominated when you choose car with this kind of price tag).

I do remember that you mentioned (indirectly) my car (2002 CL600) is junk.

-- mb_newbie
Old 06-27-2002, 11:29 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Hey, I've been a member since Nov. of 2001!

I'll put it like this. Mercedes Benz has the greatest brand of most all cars. People always say "when I retire, I'll get that Benz" or "I cannot wait for my Benz" and even my own father said when he turns 50 he is treating himself to a Benz.

Well in reality I was also under this impression. MERCEDES BENZ had this mystique and panache factor UNTIL I began to understand cars and details.

IMO, the cars are simply not worth the extra dough for comparable models (not talking about AMG cars or V-12 cars as obviously not only does Lexus not offer comparable models but hardly does the competition). Driving and sitting and feeling these cars, I could not undestand why pay more.

I think most people think the same as Lexus has only a handful of models but it the best selling luxury car brand here.

I am not knocking anyones car. If I WON a Benz, I'd drive it. With my hard earned dough, I'll stick with Lexus and be a little "souless" (I guess Mercedes Benz cars listen to hip-hop and R&B and James Brown in the factory to get this "SOUL" obviously Lexus cars play Sinatra and Jazz) LOL.

ibanez, get off your Toyota ego trip. Lexus happens to not have EVER SOLD any 4-cylinder cars (well in the US), nor embaressing hatchbacks, cheapening the marque.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Well reasoned! I particularly like this partial quote:

IMO, the cars are simply not worth the extra dough for comparable models

(not talking about AMG cars or V-12 cars as obviously not only does Lexus not offer comparable models but hardly does the competition).

Driving and sitting and feeling these cars, I could not undestand why pay more.
unquote

I agree. Best car I've owned, the 55 AMG!!

tnx
Old 06-28-2002, 12:04 AM

Lexus GS 450h
I can justify paying more for an AMG car OBVIOUSLY. Just for the exclusivity alone, let alone the cars credentials.

How do some of ya'll feel about the AMG kits on non-engine AMG cars? I don't think it is right.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1SICKLEX

Agree with you on the AMG vs. nothing from Lexus but disagree on the SC430 vs. SL500. You have to drive the latter to understand why some people are willing to pay the difference. Two words: driving dynamics.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I can justify paying more for an AMG car OBVIOUSLY. Just for the exclusivity alone, let alone the cars credentials.

How do some of ya'll feel about the AMG kits on non-engine AMG cars? I don't think it is right.
An AMG, is an AMG. Look at the genuine MB AMGs, at the OFFICIAL MB site.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...&modelCode=AMG

There are only a few true AMG s,

but lots of AMG WANNA-BE s!

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...&modelCode=AMG
Old 07-07-2002, 04:22 AM

Re: 1 SickLex

What the hell are you talking about? how can a SL55 beat a lamborghini murcielago? or a modena? you must be smoking crack becuase that is not possible. There is nothing that Mercedes makes that can compete with those cars. Correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by Nighttrain
Hey Sick,

Actually I'm a LONG time member of the clublexus forum.
My name there is Anthracite SC.

I come here for my S430 and for the better forum discussions. =)

In regards to the SC400/430. I agree the 430 is a touring car, and not to be mistaken w/a sports car.

The SL500 is also a touring car, but a more expensive one.
The SL55 is actually a sports CAR. THe thing outruns lamborghini murcielagos, porsche turbos, and ferrari modenas. I think if a car can do that...its steps into the SPORTS category and out of the TOUR category.

If there was an SC430/55 or something that was tuned for SPORT..I'd love to see it.

Until then, I'll be planning for my high HP supercharged OLD SC400
=0 Which will hopefully run w/an SL55
Old 07-07-2002, 04:45 AM

by the way, what about the mercedes quality issues. If Mercedes is supposedly superior to lexus then why is lexus consistantly considered by jd powers above mercedes. Even toyota beats mercedes. Why is that? if your mercedes are that good?
Old 07-07-2002, 02:05 PM

Ferrari and Lamborghini are not meant for daily driving cars. As far as the Sl55 goes I hope that they address some of the quality issues, although I have heard some things going wrong with the car already. Also I know for sure that Mercedes is not up to par with lexus as far as quality is concerned. But my question to you is that if you spend that much money on a car you should expect the best in every aspect... I would not be satisfied knowing that this $100,000 car is not up to par with a car that is 60 or 70 thousand, yet I pay more for what reason? I agree that the technologies implemented in the sl55 is great and the other mechanics but what good is all that when the car does not work properly? you never or rarely hear about bad quality cars from lexus.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:39 PM

Lexus GS 450h
What the hell are you talking about?
No, I KNOW what I am talking about. The car can top out at over 200mph. It is a BEAST, period. I also was skeptical at first, but all the research I've done on it suggests, this may be the first automatic supercar. A lot of it's technology is for the SSR Vision Benz too. The SL 55 is a production test for the SSR.

Mr. Norton, so Ferrari craftsmanship is that sub-par? So a Benz supercar to rival a Ferrari, I am assuming people would chose the Benz as poeple are somewhat fed up with Ferrari and their issues.

It is a Ferrari though......
Old 07-07-2002, 10:01 PM

Come on do you seriously think that a ferrari would have the type of severity of problems as you mentioned? I do not think that the ferrari is that prone to problems. Also I wanted to mention that the SL55's technologies are good, but lexus is also up there. If you compare the two how much of a difference is there? just a few new features over the lexus. You cannot beat the lexus as far as electronics in the cars though. By the way you are saying the car is so complex, I have heard that BMW 7 series owners are having problems with their cars because of the technology. Here is a thought, make cars that are not so "technological revolutionary" so that you can focus on making them work right.

It's strange that you're prepared to forgive Ferrari quality issues for a car which is more expensive than the SL and then berate Mercedes for its quality. I never go out in my Ferrari without the cab fare home. The last time I did a long journey in it, it broke down on the M25 (London's equivalent to DC's Beltway) and I limped into the dealer with 4 out of 8 cylinders on strike.

The SL is probably the most complex car on sale today and to expect some teething problems is reasonable. To assume otherwise is to not understand the nature of technological progress. Very few manufacturers could bring you the technology of the SL and the performance of the SL55, not a single one in the US, or the UK or indeed Japan, simply because they don't have the guts or the design flair to do it.

For me, the new SL is a thrilling ownership prospect, a wonderful design allied to leading-edge technology. I can hardly wait. My SL55 in prospect has me in a work frenzy at the moment so that I can take lots of time out later in the year to sample its delights. I don't think I will be disappointed for one minute.

The SC430 just doesn't press the same buttons. I think I'd be more excited by my new dishwasher.
:p
Old 07-08-2002, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Enough of this Ferrari comparative analysis!

As I suggested earlier, why don't you substitute the F with TRABANT or YUGO? Who are you trying to impress? If it is so bad -- dump it!

All of your anecdotal crap is meaningless. Re tech & innovation -- do light bulbs fall into this? A perennial and recurrent problem with MBs. I could go on, but I am not going to fall into this anecdotal crap trap.

Study Deming, and you'll get to know quality & quality control. The Japanese auto manufacturers did -- and it shows!
Old 07-08-2002, 12:24 PM

The japanese innovations are in the electronics, you cannot say that mercedes has better navigation system or internal electronics. The germans suck at electronics. The interiors of the lexus cars are top notch and have been compared to rolls royce as being one of the best if not the best interiors made. I don't know about you but I spend most of my time sitting in the car and I enjoy a compfortable and aesthetic interior. The german car interiors are not as nice.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:27 PM

1999 Mercedes S430, 1993 Lexus SC400, 2003 Lexus ES300
Actually YES it can.

it was in some euro mag. if you do a euro search w/all those cars in it. You'll find it.
I'll do some digging, but if you can get it before me than go for it.

They reported that the SL55 could outrun those other car to 120mph....
Old 07-08-2002, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
The only thing you guy's can point to in comparing the Toyota and the Mercedes is higher ratings in quality surveys...and the stereo.
Au contraire: Lightbulbs!

Get it? Light bulbs!

The electric light, one of the everyday conveniences that most affects our lives, was invented in 1879 by Thomas Alva Edison of the USA or as you might claim - Sir Joseph Wilson Swan in England.

Today 2002 - 123 years after the invention of the light bulb, burnt out light bulbs are a perennial and recurrent MB problem.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:14 PM

1999 Mercedes S430, 1993 Lexus SC400, 2003 Lexus ES300
The light bulb problem

Mercedes, Audi, BMW, VW all have that microsoft windows philosophy.

Make products that are eye catching and gadgety...BUT....keep em coming back because they need to keep upgrading or upkeeping their purchase.

German cars are designed to last the length of their warranty, but shorly thereafter it ALL goes to crap (mostly by design) so that you end up buying more of their stuff in the end.

Yes..japanese cars offer less excitement, but that extra couple grand(at least) after warranty on a german car really deflates the initial excitment for owning it.

SO that explains reoccuring light bulb problem, bearing problems(on 90's bimmer)...and any other nagging maintenance thing.

I've gotten wind to their game of their design. This isn't a FLAW on their part. It's marketing.

THey know better. If they really wanted to make things long lasting..they would have.
It's obvious they don't mind us coming back for more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Lexus SC430 Better???