SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Keyless Go - Door switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Keyless Go - Door switch

Hi all. Newbie to the forum having just bought a 2005 SL500 (and loving it!)
One issue appears to be the locking cycle of the Keyless go feature.
With the key in my pocket I can grab the handle to unlock the car, but I understand that it's possible to lock the car by pressing the little button on the door handle. This doesn't work. Neither does it on the passenger handle which made me suspect something common to both; a control box perhaps.
Alternatively, I was thinking that it may be a key programming issue. Has anyone come across this at all?

One more thing if I may, is there an auxiliary port on the ICE head unit? This would be useful as my phone will not Bluetooth to the ICE. It says 'connected' initially but then quickly goes to 'Not Connected'

Thanks for any help. It's much appreciated
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the black button on the door handle should lock the car. Since the unlock function works, it's not the key or the antenna. Even though the buttons are not working on either door, I doubt it's some central component failure. Is suspect the buttons themselves are just bad.

Regarding the Bluetooth, do you actually have the puck in the center console? The cell phone interface was not standard equipment. It was designed around old analog cellular systems. To get modern Bluetooth hands-free calling, it uses a puck that snaps in place of the cell phone and it then emulates a Nokia or Motorola phone to the system.
The following users liked this post:
Redtonto (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 PM

SL500
Thanks Rodney. No there's no BT Puck in the centre console but there is a slide in connector. Do I just need to but one? Are they all the same?
Also, bizarrely, the doors have stopped unlocking when I grab the handle!
They worked fine after I changed the battery about an hour ago and now they've stopped again! Very odd.

Last edited by Redtonto; 07-25-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:35 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
So something like this:

If so, then yes, you just need the BT puck. MBZ makes one as well a Viseeo. You may want to research to make sure your phone works with one of these.

On the KeylessGo, which battery did you change? In the key? Do you have a spare key, and does it work?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
So something like this:

If so, then yes, you just need the BT puck. MBZ makes one as well a Viseeo. You may want to research to make sure your phone works with one of these.

On the KeylessGo, which battery did you change? In the key? Do you have a spare key, and does it work?
Thanks Rodney, Yes in the key.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:09 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Do you only have one key? If so, you should get a spare. I know they are expensive and a dealer-only part, but without a spare, your car could become useless. Also, with KeylessGo, you need to take it to the dealer for programming (unless you have your own copy of SDS).
Old 07-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL550
Sorry about the thread highjack but I have a semi-similar issue. I have keyless GO but none of my keyless go features are working. Locking/unlocking at the door, ignition button on the gear shift. Is it just turned off or is there a bigger problem?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by Redtonto
Hi all. Newbie to the forum having just bought a 2005 SL500 (and loving it!)
One issue appears to be the locking cycle of the Keyless go feature.
With the key in my pocket I can grab the handle to unlock the car, but I understand that it's possible to lock the car by pressing the little button on the door handle. This doesn't work. Neither does it on the passenger handle which made me suspect something common to both; a control box perhaps.
Alternatively, I was thinking that it may be a key programming issue. Has anyone come across this at all?

One more thing if I may, is there an auxiliary port on the ICE head unit? This would be useful as my phone will not Bluetooth to the ICE. It says 'connected' initially but then quickly goes to 'Not Connected'

Thanks for any help. It's much appreciated
Regarding the lock/unlock of the keyless go, I recently discovered on my 2013 MY C63 that to lock the doors, I just needed to touch the outside of the door handle, NOT focus on the little square button. Previously, I kept trying to push/touch/tap the little square button and nothing happened. I was elated to discover all I had to do was to tap/touch the outside of the door handle with my hand and the car went to locked mode. So now the key just stays in my pocket and I never need to actually use it for anything.

Hope this can be a similar solution for you, though the cars age differences might mean that yours is a totally different setup/system/problem.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
Regarding the lock/unlock of the keyless go, I recently discovered on my 2013 MY C63 that to lock the doors, I just needed to touch the outside of the door handle, NOT focus on the little square button. Previously, I kept trying to push/touch/tap the little square button and nothing happened. I was elated to discover all I had to do was to tap/touch the outside of the door handle with my hand and the car went to locked mode. So now the key just stays in my pocket and I never need to actually use it for anything.

Hope this can be a similar solution for you, though the cars age differences might mean that yours is a totally different setup/system/problem.
the R230 is different. It actually has a button you must push to lock. This button failing is a common issue, due to a seal intrusion and water getting into and ruining the part that controls the lock button, but not the unlock sensor. You must either take your handle apart and rebuild it (requires electrical skills) or buy a new handle (over $300 each from the dealer). This is the issue the original poster is having.

As for the other person that says not a single keyless go function is working, this is more likely a dead battery in the key.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by carguyshu
the R230 is different. It actually has a button you must push to lock. This button failing is a common issue, due to a seal intrusion and water getting into and ruining the part that controls the lock button, but not the unlock sensor. You must either take your handle apart and rebuild it (requires electrical skills) or buy a new handle (over $300 each from the dealer). This is the issue the original poster is having.

As for the other person that says not a single keyless go function is working, this is more likely a dead battery in the key.
Thanks, that's good info. Generally, if you can get the door handle off is there a chance to fix it without resorting to getting the wallet out?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by Redtonto
Thanks, that's good info. Generally, if you can get the door handle off is there a chance to fix it without resorting to getting the wallet out?
see this thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...o-handles.html