SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Service Records/History on a purchased car

Old 02-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 SL550
Service Records/History on a purchased car

I just bought a 2008 SL550, and I’m currently going through doing routine maintenance, like oil change, fluid changes, and many more... When I bought the car, there were few service invoices in the car, not much. But I know the MB dealership where the original 1 owner used to service the car, so I went there today to buy an ABC filter, after I bought it, I asked the parts guy if I can get the service records of my car, I gave him the vin and he started listing all that has been done to the car , including ABC pump replacement and other ABC stuff, because all I wanted to hear is ABC, but there were others😀. I then asked him to give me a printout, he said that he can only view it but not print, so he sent me to the service department and the service rep refused to give me the printout. We discussed about the car and quickly established that I will not be another customer. He asked me if I’ve already ordered the Star Diagnosis, I told him that I’m on it, I then explain to him about my battery warning, he suggested that I replaced the whole assembly. My question is, is there any way that I can get this information, I think it’s vital to my ownership of this car. I still have contact with the original owner, I’ve already texted him to call the service department for release of this information, and I also have to thread lightly, he almost gave it to me when he bought the 2018 AMG, my Boss🤪.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL65, Raptor SVT, HD-Fat Boy
The Mercedes VMI or Vehicle Master Inquiry is the one-stop shopping report for all vehicle information that has been done to that vehicle's VIN code. Request a printout from the servicing dealer without going into details. More times than not the dealer will oblige, if refused, try another dealership.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:12 AM

2008 SL550
Originally Posted by GoFastr
The Mercedes VMI or Vehicle Master Inquiry is the one-stop shopping report for all vehicle information that has been done to that vehicle's VIN code. Request a printout from the servicing dealer without going into details. More times than not the dealer will oblige, if refused, try another dealership.
Thanks, at this point, I’ll not go again to the dealership that has actually serviced the car, I’ll find another place. The parts guy actually gave me an extensive details of what has been done to the car, too bad, service department refused to print them out. He even told me that the original owner refused alignment and the car shakes when I drive at high speed, I took it to my mechanic, he said it’s the rotors, replaced, still shaking, I took it to a tire shop for balancing, they said a wheel is bent, I replaced it, still shaking a bit. If I would have had that information, I would have looked into balancing first.

Last edited by kemzo; 02-28-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:35 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Generally, dealers will not give out the VMI. They definitely won't give it to subsequent owners because it shows personal information about previous owner(s) so that would be illegal. I have heard of some dealers who have handed out VMI's where the redact that personal info when you pay for a Pre-Purchase Inspection, or when you are a well-known good, regular customer. otherwise, forget it.

In terms of things like vibration, I always start with the most likely culprits first - check balance on tires, and have the shop also spot the rims for any bends when they do that. Once they are balanced, check the weights they put on the rims. If there are two sets of weights, that means that both the tire and the rim are out of balance and you need to get a road-force balance from a shop that will dismount the tire and align the heaviest points of the tire and rim so they can use just one set of weights. Rotors will almost never cause vibration unless you are applying the brakes. Out of balance rotors can do that, but that is very rare, and usually cause by physical (and obvious) damage to them. A bad tow alignment can cause vibration at speed, so after tire balance, it's worth having that checked.

Finally, keep in mind that even if you do have a VMI, that not all work is done at a dealer, especially things like tires, glass, and post-warranty oil changes, brakes, etc.

Honestly, unless you are worried about recalls (which they will/must verify), I would not worry about the VMI. If there is a question about maintenance being done or not, assume not and do it yourself. If parts were replaced by the previous owner, then hopefully that is good for you as it solved a problem you won't have to deal with, or it will add some life to that part.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 PM

2008 SL550
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Generally, dealers will not give out the VMI. They definitely won't give it to subsequent owners because it shows personal information about previous owner(s) so that would be illegal. I have heard of some dealers who have handed out VMI's where the redact that personal info when you pay for a Pre-Purchase Inspection, or when you are a well-known good, regular customer. otherwise, forget it.

In terms of things like vibration, I always start with the most likely culprits first - check balance on tires, and have the shop also spot the rims for any bends when they do that. Once they are balanced, check the weights they put on the rims. If there are two sets of weights, that means that both the tire and the rim are out of balance and you need to get a road-force balance from a shop that will dismount the tire and align the heaviest points of the tire and rim so they can use just one set of weights. Rotors will almost never cause vibration unless you are applying the brakes. Out of balance rotors can do that, but that is very rare, and usually cause by physical (and obvious) damage to them. A bad tow alignment can cause vibration at speed, so after tire balance, it's worth having that checked.

Finally, keep in mind that even if you do have a VMI, that not all work is done at a dealer, especially things like tires, glass, and post-warranty oil changes, brakes, etc.

Honestly, unless you are worried about recalls (which they will/must verify), I would not worry about the VMI. If there is a question about maintenance being done or not, assume not and do it yourself. If parts were replaced by the previous owner, then hopefully that is good for you as it solved a problem you won't have to deal with, or it will add some life to that part.
Thank you...
Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM

2008 SL550
A bad tow alignment can cause vibration at speed, so after tire balance, it's worth having that checked.
Just returned from Sears, for an alignment, unfortunately it wasn’t completed. I was told that the front was done but the rear wasn’t done, due to a rusted bolt. No clue... I was advised to take it to the dealership, where it’ll be done the right way.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:54 PM

2008 SL550
Update!

I finally received the records today and they’re not looking kind of good... He has done so much work on the car, which is great, but the last time he took it to the dealership, he complained about whining sound and was advised to replace ABC pump, possible valves, cam magnets, he refused. I also noticed that he had replaced an ABC pump, awhile back. Oh well... I asked for it.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
First of all, take what the dealer suggests with a grain of salt. They will replace an ABC pump when it just needs a new pulsation dampener. The "cam magnets" only need to be replaced if you are gettign the error codes specific to their failure. Just keep up with the maintenance and you'll fine.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 SL500
I have a buddy that works at a Mercedes dealership. He printed me a copy of the service record when my SBC went out, but told me not to let my local dealer know where I got it from.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 PM

2008 SL550
Originally Posted by Blazeracer
I have a buddy that works at a Mercedes dealership. He printed me a copy of the service record when my SBC went out, but told me not to let my local dealer know where I got it from.
Nice!
I had the previous owner call the dealership and approve the release, I was given 6 years worth of records.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:02 PM

2008 SL550
A bad tow alignment can cause vibration at speed, so after tire balance, it's worth having that checked.
I replaced my two front tires yesterday, and the shaking has completely disappeared!!!
I don’t know if I should still take it to the dealership for alignment. I was quoted $200+ tax, if they don’t encounter any issues.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:00 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Glad it rides better now. I'd find a better place than the dealer for an alignment. Many tire shops will check it for free, though some may refuse to work on an SL (although for no good reason).