SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 SL multicontour seats: did some repairs, but no joy yet, please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55
2003 SL multicontour seats: did some repairs, but no joy yet, please help!

Hi guys,

I love my 2003 SL55, bought last September!

The multicontour bladders do not work on both seats. I looked at many posts on this subject in this & other forums, and have tried to fix this, to no avail. Prior owners of my car have tried to fix it, because I found poorly done repairs, so the solution might not be a trivial one. Here's what I have checked and done so far:
1) Removed both seat backs and inspected visually: nothing seems broken.
2) Removed both seats completely and inspected: fixed two broken white tubes (one of them leading from floor to seat).
3) Tested each seat by blowing air into entrance tube: both seem airtight now.
4) All relays on both seats work, because I can hear them click from the back of the seat for every push of any of the multicontour buttons.
5) With car running, pressing any of the multicontour button does *not* make the pump in the trunk start, although the pump works fine for door locks.
6) Same behavior with engine running, or key in #2 ignition position.
7) I have pulled and put back the fuse #71 twice to reset the PSE pump, without a change in behavior.
8) Each time I try the "Pulse" switch, on either seats, I get a P1555-032 error code (cushion seat - lower waist cushion). I DO NOT get error codes with any of the other multicontour buttons, on either seats, still none of the seats bladders inflate.
9) Bought an iCarsoft i980 code scanner to reset seat error codes after each test. I do not want to pay for a more expensive system at this time.
10) The entry "Y" connector on both seats had one end open (circle in pic #1), so I capped them both.

Here are my questions:
a) I am wondering about a white tube that is *not* connected in each seat (circle in pic#2) and I am wondering if this tube should be connected to the entry "Y" connectors that was missing a cap? Or is this tube required only for a function that I do not have on my seats (I do not have "dynamic" or ventilated seats)?
b) What other test can I do to isolate the problem?

Thank you for your help!

Daniel
Old 03-30-2019, 03:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
AFAIK. ventilated seat has nothing to do with air lines. It is just multiple electric fans placed in the seat cushions.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by alk247
AFAIK. ventilated seat has nothing to do with air lines. It is just multiple electric fans placed in the seat cushions.
Thanks but the SL55 seat bladders inflate with a pump in the trunk, which is also used to unlock the doors. The door unlocking function works, so the pump must be OK. I do not have ventilated seats; my questions relate to the seat bladders.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 03-04-2020, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl55
Daniel, I am trying to figure out my 2004 SL55 multicontour seat failures (both seats) also. Were you ever able to figure out your issues? None of my backrest seat cushions seem to inflate, though I can hear what sounds like a leak when I try to inflate the shoulder cushion. I have only removed the seat back and looked at the air distribution unit so far.

Bob
Old 03-04-2020, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl55

Here is a diagram of the components involved in the multicontour seat backrest for 2004 SL
Old 03-05-2020, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
It's not uncommon for the inflatable air bladders to develop leaks on a car as old as yours, Bob. With Star Diagnosis you can identify precisely which ones have leaks by monitoring pressures, though if you are going to replace one perhaps it is wise to replace all.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
SL600 2004
If you cured all the leaks, it must be electronical issue.
In case of leaks, the car deactivates this function completely to prevent damage to the pump. To reset that you need to use diagnostic software and activate the multicontour function of the seats. As I understand, this should be similar to pulling the fuse that you did, but in my case fuse didn't help and i had to use diagnostics. After activation it all works fine until the next leak
Old 03-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 E350 (W213)
In my car, all the seat bladders had cracked around where the hose connects to them. I could hear air leaking inside the seat when I touched the lumbar controls with the ignition on and engine off. Visual inspection showed the cracks after I took the seat apart. I replaced the bladders with 500ml IV bags. Listen for leaks when pressing the buttons.