Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S550 Cabriolet
Wireless Backup camera to iPhone - question on wiring

Going to try this:

Amazon Link Amazon Link

Have Best Buy connector it to wiring .

Have suggestion as to a wire to or not to connect to?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 03:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just an FYI, since you have a MY2011 with NTG2.5 COMAND, you can actually put a backup camera on the COMAND screen. I did it on mine. The easiest way is to use a wireless camera, but I'm a bit OCD so I used a wired setup. Here's a thread on it:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r23...ed-issues.html
Old 04-01-2019, 06:57 AM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
Thanks again Rodney!
I'd like to have Best Buy install this.

I would get this HOT Transmitter

Would this
Camera Camera
worK?

Or is
this this
the best type?

What exactly would I tell them they have to do?

Last edited by gregorynp; 04-01-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, that "HOT transmitter" is the same one Drkvampire used in the thread I linked. I supposed the license plate frame camera would work - I don;t see why not. If you look at my thread, I put a camera in place of the of a "plug" that is used to cover the old style KeylessGo trunk lock button. I think the challenge is going to be finding a 12v power source in the trunk lid. You'll need to be careful because some of the circuits in there are for the flaps and antenna system and you don't want to mess with those. If you end up having to run wire down the tubular frame to pickup power in the trunk, you might as well just hardwire the camera like I did. As for getting BestBuy to do this, Id be surprised if they would touch your car. In fact, i'm not sure I;d let them touch mine. Some high-end audio shops around here won;t even touch MBZ's - much less BestBuy.

BTW, where are you located? If you want to come to Birmingham, I can help you.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:24 PM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
I'm in The Villages FL. 1 hour north of Orlando

BTW, where are you located? If you want to come to Birmingham, I can help you.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Well, probably not worth an 8-9 hour drive for you, but I thought I'd offer. I've had a few forum members come from out of town.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Sl500
In case of the wireless setup, where does one get the on signal to the radio? (normally coming from the backup light)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by MarkCan
In case of the wireless setup, where does one get the on signal to the radio? (normally coming from the backup light)
You install the camera and wireless transmitter int he trunk lid. You will still have to fish the wire down and around the tubular frame of the trunk hinges to get into the trunk for power. Most people just tie into any 12v source and don't worry about the camera only being powered in reverse. COMAND will just switch to its input as needed, so having it powered when not being diplayes is not a problem.

The receiver plugs into a video-in on the back of the COMAND and you'd tie into a 12v power source there.

If you hardwire (like I did), then you just run the video wire all the way from the trunk to the dash. Honestly, I'd do that instead of fooling with wireless because the build of the work is running the wire down the tubular frame/hinges and you have to do that either way.

@Mark: Having said all that, your profile says you have an SL500, so I don't think this will work. Only the NTG2.5 COMAND has the backup camera input on it and that did not come out until the MY2009+ facelift. For earlier version, there might be a solution with some sort of aftermarket interface like a "video in motion" like Mid City Engineering offers.
The following users liked this post:
MarkCan (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Sl500
Thank you.
I think your choice of hardwire is the better option anyway
Ill order parts and see how it goes.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:51 PM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
Thanks!

Could you detail what is needed and the instructions?

Greg

Originally Posted by Rudeney
You install the camera and wireless transmitter int he trunk lid. You will still have to fish the wire down and around the tubular frame of the trunk hinges to get into the trunk for power. Most people just tie into any 12v source and don't worry about the camera only being powered in reverse. COMAND will just switch to its input as needed, so having it powered when not being diplayes is not a problem.

The receiver plugs into a video-in on the back of the COMAND and you'd tie into a 12v power source there.

If you hardwire (like I did), then you just run the video wire all the way from the trunk to the dash. Honestly, I'd do that instead of fooling with wireless because the build of the work is running the wire down the tubular frame/hinges and you have to do that either way.

@Mark: Having said all that, your profile says you have an SL500, so I don't think this will work. Only the NTG2.5 COMAND has the backup camera input on it and that did not come out until the MY2009+ facelift. For earlier version, there might be a solution with some sort of aftermarket interface like a "video in motion" like Mid City Engineering offers.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:07 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
i bought this camera:

Amazon Amazon

This extension cable:

Amazon Amazon

And this adapter:

Amazon Amazon

As for instructions on how to install it all, ti's pretty complicated, and much of it I did just with my basic knowledge of the car, so I can't do a step by step, but basically, I removed the round plastic "knock out" in the trunk lid, next to the handle and mounted the camera there. I picked up ground there in the trunk lid. The extension cable plugs int here and I ran it down the tubular frame, using some existing "conduit", then around and behind the trunk paneling, through the fender area (staying clear of the moving hydraulic parts) and then under the door sill trim to the dash. There I plugged in the Fakra adapter to the COMAND, and picked up +12v from the cigarette lighter. I fired up SDS and enabled the backup camera option in the COMAND unit.