SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Louder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 SL400
Louder?

I've had my 2011 SL550 for 3 months now and I LOVE this car. I traded my 2012 Mustang Boss 302 for this car and have zero regrets. However, I do sometimes miss the roar of V8 at full song. I understand the SL is more refined and certainly a different class of car, one that I really enjoy. But, sometimes, when I get on it, powering out of a corner accelerating spiritedly I want to HEAR it! Not overly loud at all, maybe twice as loud as it gets now, something deep and growling. Anyone have experience doing this to these cars? Suggestions? Does Magnaflow make mufflers for these cars?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Remove the resonators first and if that's not enough then remove the rear mufflers. If that's not enough, get headers and reconfigure your cats.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:55 PM

2015 SL400
Thanks, I'll research the reso delete. I bet it will be just what I need.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 185 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
CAUTION - OPINION FOLLOWS
Better still, get used to driving in style. For most folks around you your blaring noise is just a nuisance.
-okay that was it
Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL65, Raptor SVT, HD-Fat Boy
Ditto what BlownV8 said. Makes a world of difference to increase sound on a turbo car as the turbos seem to do to good of a job to help quiet the exhaust.
Hope you have similar results with your SL550 which I think is super charged. Good luck and let us know when you get it where you like it.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:01 PM

2015 SL400
Originally Posted by GoFastr
Ditto what BlownV8 said. Makes a world of difference to increase sound on a turbo car as the turbos seem to do to good of a job to help quiet the exhaust.
Hope you have similar results with your SL550 which I think is super charged. Good luck and let us know when you get it where you like it.
Actually, the 2011 SL550 is not super or turbo charged. I suspect removing the resonators will give me close to exactly what I'm looking for. I'm leaving on vacation later this week so it will be a while before I'm able to get it done. I'll post an update when I do.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
Originally Posted by TxBoss23
Actually, the 2011 SL550 is not super or turbo charged. I suspect removing the resonators will give me close to exactly what I'm looking for. I'm leaving on vacation later this week so it will be a while before I'm able to get it done. I'll post an update when I do.
I did the resonator delete this past fall, and I am not satisfied. It is a little bit louder, but it is not enough for me. I am going to try to also remove the rear mufflers, at least so I'll know what that sounds like as well. Worst case scenario I'll have to weld them back in again.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 AM

I found this video on YouTube of an SL550 with straight pipes, I thought it sounded damn good:

Old 04-26-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'11 SL550 - '08 ML350
The resonator delete is subtle. You won't notice it under normal driving conditions. That works for me. I do like having a better flowing exhaust. Reminds me of the Remus I put on my son's C240. Couldn't hear a lot but the revs came up a lot faster and higher (it is a manual trans).
Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500
I have an SL500 with the downstream cats and mufflers removed so essentially straight pipe from the primary cats back.

Yes it's loud and yes it's awesome. I'll post a video when it stops raining.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:40 AM

The local shop in Sweden charged me about $200 for the resonator delete this past fall. I know it's a lot, but I can't weld stainless steel myself, and the shops around my area are limited.

This morning I inquired about also chopping off the rear mufflers. There's a part of me that just makes me have to try it. I've read both great and slightly-not-as-great reviews, so I want to experience it myself. Worst case scenario it'll cost me another couple of hundred bucks to weld them back if I'm not satisfied.

I took some unprofessional video of my SL550 exhaust sound before the resonator delete, and I will try to make a comparison of all three once I'm done.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:50 AM

2015 SL400
Originally Posted by xclens
The local shop in Sweden charged me about $200 for the resonator delete this past fall. I know it's a lot, but I can't weld stainless steel myself, and the shops around my area are limited.

This morning I inquired about also chopping off the rear mufflers. There's a part of me that just makes me have to try it. I've read both great and slightly-not-as-great reviews, so I want to experience it myself. Worst case scenario it'll cost me another couple of hundred bucks to weld them back if I'm not satisfied.

I took some unprofessional video of my SL550 exhaust sound before the resonator delete, and I will try to make a comparison of all three once I'm done.
Have you gone forward with the muffler delete? If so, how do you like it?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by TxBoss23
Have you gone forward with the muffler delete? If so, how do you like it?
Not yet! It's busy season for "specialty shops" now that spring is here, so they didn't have time until the 23rd. I'll definitely post some thoughts & videos after that though.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55AMG
My 2004 SL55 has the resonator delete - honestly I think it is too loud. It is a nice rumble when you cruise but when you hit the gas it sounds like an old Harley Davidson and people look at you. If that's your thing then go for it!
Old 06-29-2019, 12:38 PM

I have now done the secondary muffler delete as well, and I've driven the car for about a month.

I am quite pleased with the sound during regular stoplight-to-stoplight city driving. It sounds GREAT slightly pushing the gas pedal after a red light, or accelerating after a round-a-bout, or so. It also sounds great driving 70ish mph (120 km/h) on the highway and slightly accelerating to pass a vehicle.

However... It is waaaaay too loud (in my opinion, that is) when I press the gas pedal slightly more than regular. Then the sound just takes over completely. Forget flooring it, then I actually get embarrassed. It seems to be a higher and more hollow sound than what a 'normal' sports car would sound like, so to me it sounds more like the kids with their rice rockets. I'm sure it's not that bad, but I probably had way higher expectations. And the sound from a cold start? That is just obnoxious. A warm start sounds great though.

I will (as promised) post some video of this before I do anything else. I'd just like to know, does anyone know what I can do next? I love the sound when I'm just regularly driving, but it is too loud when I floor it. I suppose some sort of sports exhaust is the way to go? Does anyone know a reputable seller in Europe for such a setup? I can get it installed locally..
Old 06-29-2019, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by xclens
I have now done the secondary muffler delete as well, and I've driven the car for about a month.

I am quite pleased with the sound during regular stoplight-to-stoplight city driving. It sounds GREAT slightly pushing the gas pedal after a red light, or accelerating after a round-a-bout, or so. It also sounds great driving 70ish mph (120 km/h) on the highway and slightly accelerating to pass a vehicle.

However... It is waaaaay too loud (in my opinion, that is) when I press the gas pedal slightly more than regular. Then the sound just takes over completely. Forget flooring it, then I actually get embarrassed. It seems to be a higher and more hollow sound than what a 'normal' sports car would sound like, so to me it sounds more like the kids with their rice rockets. I'm sure it's not that bad, but I probably had way higher expectations. And the sound from a cold start? That is just obnoxious. A warm start sounds great though.

I will (as promised) post some video of this before I do anything else. I'd just like to know, does anyone know what I can do next? I love the sound when I'm just regularly driving, but it is too loud when I floor it. I suppose some sort of sports exhaust is the way to go? Does anyone know a reputable seller in Europe for such a setup? I can get it installed locally..
By secondary muffler, you mean the actual mufflers with the tips coming out at the rear end of the vehicle yes? Besides that and the bubble resonators, I don't think there is anything else besides the primary cats left on it. Some people do a muffler delete and put the resonator back on. I've heard of others using aftermarket Magnaflow glasspack resonators instead of the factory resonator when doing a muffler delete (I have been debating this for my CLK when doing a muffler delete and adding another dual tip on the other side).

Video would be greatly appreciated as I have been craving some more volume from my SL as well.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
CAUTION - OPINION FOLLOWS
Better still, get used to driving in style. For most folks around you your blaring noise is just a nuisance.
-okay that was it
I agree with you--perhaps a way to know how a car sounds after a muffler delete is to have someone who's done it drive their car around, listen to it, then follow it around from behind. That way someone who is contemplating this procedure can judge for themselves (and others) if it's too loud.

__________________________________________________ ______________
Back to the wall goes Berra, it is...over the fence, homerun, the Pirates win!!"
Old 06-30-2019, 03:41 PM

2003 MB SL500
I've entertained similar thoughts. But I'm unwilling to give up the refined engineering that went into this car. I'm considering an electric exhaust bypass valve that let's me have the best of both worlds. Something like this:

Old 06-30-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
Aussiesuede has a very detailed thread on resonator delete located in these forums, a great read.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:57 AM

I am quite tired of my extremely loud exhaust now, so I am thinking about booking a visit to have either my resonators, or my mufflers, or all four, welded back on.

Does anyone know of any 'sport mufflers' for the R230 that will be a better sound, compared to the original? Back in the 90s, when I lived in the US, people were always talking about Magnaflow exhausts. But I don't know if that's just a brand or what.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:36 AM

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
R230 350SL
Have you looked into electronic operated diverter valve so you can switch between normal exhaust to open pipes and back again whenever you wanted? User A1EK did this, search out his thread.

Edit, found the thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ss-fitted.html

Last edited by matk; 05-24-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I debated about doing a muffler delete as well, but from most of what I read online people just end up putting them back. I found this muffler system here in the states from a company out in Texas. Not sure if anyone has any experience with their products. Someone on the R230 AMG forum was selling a used one and posted a video clip, but obviously would not sound the same on a 500 or 550 car (And its a different exhaust part according to the web site). Also, based on the pictures, doesn't seem to require an cutting of the bumper holes, but definitely a tight fit (Can't tell too well based on the pictures on their web site):

https://topspeedauto.com/mercedes-be...ad-round-tips/

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...aust-clip.html

Last edited by gaazmon; 05-25-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 PM

2008 CL63 AMG
Hey there,

I had an 05' SL500 and currently have a 2009 SL550 Designo Edition with white interior, which both had the magnaflow mufflers. I had the exhaust upgraded to 2.5 from the Cats back and an X-pipe installed. It really has a nice deep rumble like you're looking for inside and out. Its unbelievable. The SL 550. as opposed to the SL500, however, has less room for mufflers, so you're limited in muffler brands and sizes. Magnaflow had nice options. Go with double chrome tips, staggered, also. you'll love the look. I have a friend in Dallas building my Rear diffuser with the F1 Style brake light, so I can't wait until its done this week and see how it looks against the new tips.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 PM

2008 CL63 AMG
So you don't have emissions in your state? Also, no check engine light without the 0-2 Sensors? I was thinking of deleting my Cats too. Resonator delete makes all the difference in the world. The sound of my 550 turns heads at lights like crazy. Its funny the expression people have when they hear it.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Badsoldier10
So you don't have emissions in your state? Also, no check engine light without the 0-2 Sensors? I was thinking of deleting my Cats too. Resonator delete makes all the difference in the world. The sound of my 550 turns heads at lights like crazy. Its funny the expression people have when they hear it.
So all you've done thus far is resonator delete? And you think that made a difference? I started out doing the resonator delete, but I could honestly not really tell a difference at all. So that is why I also went ahead and removed the mufflers. But, after a year of that I am now tired of the excessive noise, so I am welding the mufflers back on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Louder?