SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Best Scan Tool - Forum Hypocrisy - Reinstate Pmercury

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts
'07 S65 '05 SL65 '07 GL450 '03 SL55 (sold)
Best Scan Tool - Forum Hypocrisy - Reinstate Pmercury

The below listed points are a synopsis of the 129 posts in the thread by mbworld forum member Milazzo “Which scan tool is best for 2003 SL” https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...t-2003-sl.html The thread spiraled out of control when a debate occurred between forum members bobterry99, Rudeney and pmercury. Pmercury has helped forum members with SDS and Xentry diagnostic software. To my knowledge, he didn’t advertise his services on the forum. There was a comparison chart between inexpensive Chinese software and the software he worked with. But there wasn’t any money involved or a link to how or what. It was an informative comparison. There are a number of computer programmers and diagnostic folks on the forum. Some even work for various online diagnostic "ask questions" type pay for services. Most folks on the forum from my experience are genuine, good natured guys who want to help our friends who share a passion for Mercedes. However, Bobterry99 and forum member Rudeney (Rodney) go through a process in this thread detailing that pmercury is wrong, his software isn’t any better, and that he was in violation of forum rules for advertising on mbworld without being an approved vendor. However, the opposite is true - bobterry99 did discuss his ability to get an Xentry system and that he would provide the software at a price over his cost (a profit). He later edited his posts to say that he would provide the software for free, but I have a PM showing that he would be earning a profit. Also, and more egregiously, forum member Rudeney (Rodney) had a link in his signature block that linked to his for-profit Mercedes business in Alabama through a link called Benzbits.com. As of today, Rudeney took that link down in his signature block, but I have copies of his posts with the link. With Rudeney’s 10,600+ posts with a link to his business through the link benzbits.com, he has also violated mbworld rules for advertising (directly or indirectly) his for-profit business (comments 22 & 25 below) without being an approved vendor.

There were 17 forum members who contributed to the thread (excluding me). They are, in order, Milazzo, Starfighter, Ad-Benz, bobterry99, SLcharge, Rudeney, pmercury, BayArchitect, NHSl550, danmm7, Kittyandgary, Frederick NL, HopefullyE63, Leej, Ivan750, Robert Eckles, alk247. The five bolded names all had previous problems with their Chinese software for SDS/Xentry. Yes, even Rudeney, who called folks who worked with pmercury liars about the software. Though he also admits his first Chinese system also had problems, which lead to him having to get a second system. Excluding pmercury (and the other names used), there were 16 forum members who added to the discussion about diagnostic software. Five out of those 16 in this one thread alone admitted to having problems with the inexpensive Chinese software - more than 25% of the folks in this one thread. And 4 of the 16 - 25% - of those bolded names who initially had problems with the cheap Chinese software found help with pmercury. They all detail their ordeals in the synopsis below.

I’m the new owner of an ’03 SL55. So, I am looking into an Xentry system due to the complex nature of the car. I also have owned my ’07 GL450 since new. It’s got 195K miles on it now. I haven’t contributed a ton to the forum, but I have helped with some projects in the X164 forum. I know I don’t have the large of posts below my name, but suffice it to say I’ve helped a lot of folks along the way. One of my contributions was a detailed write-up on the X164 A/C system repair. Warning: It’s really long. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...lve-gl450.html But, for someone who has never done A/C work before, it’s a big help. Likewise, I don’t know about Xentry and was looking to find out more. I found the comments in this thread to be unbelievably rude. The entire argument started by bobterry99 on some vendetta against pmercury. Rudeney jumped in to argue as well. Most of the discussion by bobterry99 and Rudeney were not constructive to this this thread or our forum as whole. So I spent some time going through the thread to highlight the points I believe are pertinent. What do I want to do? I want to get input from forum members who have had good/bad experiences with the Chinese Xentry software and good/bad experiences working with pmercury. I want to stop the hypocrisy, and I'd like to have pmercury's account reinstated.

Here’s the caveat: BOBTERRY99 and RUDENEY are not to post in this thread. The forum has heard enough from the two of you. And you’re both biased, so your comments are NOT WELCOME. If either of you do post, I will report your posts to the moderators for removal.

Finally, because bobterry99 and Rudeney have also violated forum rules for direct or indirect advertising without being an approved forum vendor, I’d like the forum moderators to make a decision: Either reinstate pmercury based on the positive feedback from many, many forum members not just in the 230 forum, but throughout mbworld, Or ban bobterry99 and Rudeney for also violating mbworld rules as detailed below. Forum member input on this discussion is encouraged.

Best,
James

1. The original poster milazzo asked which scan tool is best for 2003 SL. He replied later that he bought a Foxwell NT530 for under $200. He also mentioned that for $60 he could add another car, which he believes is good value for him. I agree. This scanner should at least help him diagnose codes and erase them.

2. Another poster suggested icaresoft, which I think most folks on the forums can agree its a decent scanner for the money. I have a $200 Autel and an icaresoft mbii scanners. My Autel works on my other vehicles (I have 6), and I like both scanners.

3. bobterry99 in post #6 starts the discussion referencing a “mercedes tech on another forum once wrote that reading codes comprises just 10% of troubleshooting a problem.” I disagree completely. I have owned my ’07 GL450 since new and now have 195K miles on it. I’ve been able to diagnose various problems myself with my scanners and then googled the code to find the various parts needed to make the fix. Often during the google search, I’ll find helpful write-ups and tips & tricks on the various forums and youtube. Now, there are some problems that require the Star system to properly diagnose, but I’d say, at least in my case, 90% of my problems I’ve been able to diagnose and repair with my two scanners.

4. Then SLcharge mentions in post #8 to contact mercury to discuss a complete Xentry install. Several forum members liked this post.

5. bobterry99 then mentions where you can get a complete SDS system from aliexpress.com for $250 and get a Dell D630 for $50.

6. SLcharge responds to bobterry99 post discussing his bad experience with the cheap China pre-install and online licensed install. He recommended (again) contacting permercury and that it was money well spent. That pmercury is is very helpful in regards to solving your immediate problems after the install. Which, at least I’ve observed on the forums, seems to be where a lot of folks get stuck after purchasing the cheap China software. I’ve seen lots and lots of frustration with various forum members regarding this very situation.

7. Then the problems of this entire thread start in post #11, where bobterry99 starts the spiral of this thread by denigrating pmercury stating: “The author of that comparison is trying to sell you something. He has a bias. Kind of like listening to a liberal law professor give testimony in the impeachment of President Trump.” This comment is completely out of line and did not add any value to the discussion about scanners. It was a personal attack by bobterry99 towards pmercury based on bobterry99’s personal dislike for pmercury.

8. SLcharge then responds to bobterry99 by stating SLcharge got value for his money (with pmercury). He stated he wasn’t promoting anything, but based on his personal and bad experience with the cheap China software. He adds that instead of sitting in front of a computer, trying to solve errors, with a non optimum software, he was able to find success with pmercury’s help. He even mentioned how pmercury helped him install paddle shifters with his online coding. This commented added true value to the discussion about scanners and diagnostic tools. Several members liked this post.

9. Then forum member Rudeney (Rodney) jumps in on post #13 and discusses what he believes about Chinese software, the SDS system. He then starts the second spiral of this thread stating that “Anyone that claims to sell a “better” SDS setup or one that isn’t Chinese is at worst simply lying, and at best is providing value-added services for the same Chinese SDS clone you can buy on aliexpress. Boldly, Rodney discusses that EVEN HE had a MUX (diagnostic system) go bad, the one he has now has been bulletproof. Rodney - I (and many others agree) don’t have the luxury of time to be screwing around with a “practice” system before I find good help, like with pmercury. It’s an expensive waste of time! I’d rather spend some money upfront to get a solid system from the beginning. And by you jumping into this thread with this discussion, you exacerbated the misinformation that bobterry99 started above.

10. Rodney states that “if you SDS and did not buy it from MBZ, then it came from China. If you believe otherwise, then I believe that you are mistaken or misinformed.” Pmercury then clarifies the misunderstanding stating “You are talking about hardware, this is about the software part, Hardware can only be genuine or Chinese clone, But the Chinese version software with the clones is total crap and even their windows is manipulated. Pmercury’s claims are backed up by SLcharge above and below in post #18 BayArchitect (who also had problems with the Chinese program) and in post #19 NHSl550 (who went through 2 Chinese software programs before working with pmercury). A number of forum members liked the responses by BayArchitect and NHSl550. This exchange of real data from real forum members added value to this entire discussion. Bottom line: if you want to go with cheap Chinese software and possibly have problems and frustration and waste money, then go for it. If you want to spend a little more and get a solid system, get in touch with pmercury.

11. Then bobterry99 flames the fires more on this thread with his post #21, where he condescendingly questions the “liked” comments by forum members to the above real data by saying “Curiously, two forum members “liked” a post that is fraught with nonsense.” Bobterry99 - you were out of line with this type of comment. Just because you’ve been using Chinese software since 2008 and it’s never crashed, doesn’t mean that the above forum members (and many, many more on mbworld and benzworld) haven’t had the frustrating problems with the Chinese software.

12. Then a few posts go back and forth between pmercury and bobterry99. Where pmercury defends his product, that’s been been praised and defended by many, many forum members. bobterry99 keeps discussing about how his Chinese software is just as good and basically doesn’t have problems. It’s clear there have been a number of forum members who started their SDS/Star diagnostic system with a less expensive Chinese software and then went to pmercury to get a system they could use with success. The above forum members are just a snapshot of dozens and dozens of frustrated forum members with the cheap Chinese software.

13. Then Rodney chimes in stating “Unless you obtain the software from MBZ, then it will be hacked….the location of the hacker is no indication of quality.” ‘

14. Pmercury responds to Rodney explaining that Chinese sold software approach is to create a hacked non-genuine windows with preboot crack and jailed with winlicense type general lock that clone drive contains a modified, incomplete, non-fully optionally activated DAS or Xentry. So when you buy it you have to active the cloned hard drive with their unlock system, this is also why you can not update those systems, only format and install a fresh system. The system I help installing is built with 100% genuine Windows and his license and a 100% genuine untouched MB installers activated only with license key, not a crack. This information is confirmed by a number of forum members who saw problems with the Chinese software and found success with pmercury’s system.

15. Then danmm7 asks pmercury how his system is different/better. Pmercury later gives a detailed example in post #39 about control units adaptations.

16. Bobterry99 states in post #29 that he could help offer assistance to anyone looking to put together a plug-and-play system consisting of a C3 multiplexer, Dell D630 laptop, and solid-state hard drive with lightly-customized software. Cost will be c. $320. Send me a PM for all inquiries. He then edited the post (today) stating that he would provide the software for free. Just to be very clear, bobterry99 is the one who had the major problem with pmercury earning money for his proven software product, yet he even pm’ed me that he could help get me get set up with the similar system and he would do the software for me - for an amount more than his cost. Now, today, he edited his post #29 stating that he would do it for free. Yet, in his PM to me and in the original version of this post 29, he would earn some money on top of his cost for the software. So whether it’s for a smaller or a larger amount of profit, bobterry99 is in violation of mbworld rules. To dig out of this situation, he posts his much later post #129 that says he would send the software for free. But, bobterry99, life doesn’t work that way. You can’t call out pmercury for charging more money than YOU THINK he’s worth - a product that’s benefitted a number of forum members, then, you, yourself decide to do the same thing. And, you helped get pmercury banned from the forum just because you disagree with his product - of which you don’t know first hand anything about, and yet, you were happy to charge a fee for software as well. Classy!

17. A number of posts exchange between posts 40s to 60s back and forth between bobterry99 and pmercury. Honestly, I’m still trying to wrap my head around why bobterry99 has such a beef with pmercury.

18. Forum member HopefullyE63 posts that he also went with the cheap route with a Panasonic tough book, but also found success with pmercury. It’s clear from HopefullyE63’s post that pmercury really helped him out stating: “The amount of time that saves in incredibly beneficial to my happiness with an older MB. I wouldn’t be driving them. Pmercury is the man. Invaluable to me and the MBWorld forum.” Again, bobterry99 has to go out of his way to denigrate pmercury from HopefullyE63’s post talking about pmercury’s “scruples of those they deal with and for whom money is no object.” Bobterry99 again questioning a forum member’s decision to seek help with pmercury. Sorry bobterry99, but you’re out of line again.

19. Ivan750 makes a good point in post 90 about how forum members shouldn’t charge other forum members to help each other out and gives an example disassembly of a bumper. But pmercury replies in the next post about how he has helped with a number of Xentry programming with links to various threads. Bottom line, pmercury says that his software install takes about 5-7 hrs and that he couldn’t spend that amount of time on everyone just to help out. I certainly wouldn’t expect someone to spend 5-7 hrs of their life working on a software fix for me for free.

20. Then, in post 95, Rodney jumps in again warning pmercury: “It is not appropriate for you to advertise your for-hire services here unless you are a paid forum sponsor….BTW, you may notice from my signature line that I own a company that offers MBZ service. I do not advertise that and do not offer for-pay services to forum members. On the contrary, i have had many forum members come visit me and I have helped them FOR FREE, friend to friend. Well, well, well. Mr. Rodney - it appears as of today you have now removed your signature link that said “Before you PM me, read this - www.benzbits.com/rudeney . Conveniently, that link in your signature is now gone. Why? Because, though you explain later that you’re not trying to make money off of forum members, that link HAS indirectly lead business your way AND you’re not a forum sponsor either! So now you decide to remove your benzbits.com link after all of yours and bobterry99’s rhetoric against pmercury. I find this level of behavior to be hypocritical and also in violation of mbworld’s terms of use. Because of the aforementioned violations against mbworld rules, both you and bobterry99 should be banned from mbworld.

21. Pmercury discusses in the following post 96 just exactly how benzbits.com is a registered for-profit business. Forum members who have made it this far can make their own decision about the hypocrisy between Rodney/bobterry99 and pmercury. I think it’s pretty darn clear what’s happening here.

22. Rodney then post #105 where he tries to justify why he has benzbits.com and that he does not make any money from forum members. But he even admits that “forum members have found his business in Alabama - but that he has NEVER charged anything for my services.” Okay, Rodney, let me get this right...you had (up until today) a link in your signature block that lead to your business benzbits.com. You claim that forum members actually traveled to see you at your business in Alabama. But you NEVER charged anything for your services for these forum members. Are you kidding all of us? Folks actually drove to your business to get some diagnostic work or other work done to their car and you NEVER charged them for any services - is that because your just such a good guy or you have a policy of charging everyone else at your business but not mbworld forum members? This rhetoric is very telling.

23. Then in post 107 bobterry99 states pmercury has been banned from mbworld.

24. Posts 108-116 have banter back and forth between bobterry99 and others.

25. Then Rodney in post 117 discusses why he had problems with pmercury: “My problems with pmercury were twofold. One, he was being argumentative and making unsubstantiated claims that his version of SDS software was better.” Rodney, his claim of better software was independently verified by a number of folks in this thread alone. “Second, he was clearly violating forum rules by advertising for-profit services without paying to be a forum sponsor.” Rodney, you did too with your (now removed as of today) benzbits.com link in your signature block. So you want to tell all of the forum members reading this thread that after 10,600+ posts by you with benzbits.com link in your signature block that, as you say in capital letters “NEVER” have earned any money from anyone from mbworld - and even after a number of folks have come to see you personally at your business in Alabama. Unbelievable!

26. Then in post 123 SLcharge chimes in again stating: I have tried to stay out of this fight, but it is now time to chime in for me. This has turned into a personal vendetta (completely agree), a crusade for you (bobterry99), to attempt to discredit pmercury to a degree that it has become pathetic. I don’t care where he comes from, or where he lives, that is irrelevant for me. The only thing that counts, is that the product he deliver, works, and it does. He (pmercury) may have his own special way to handle things, but he has done a lot of good to members of this forum, and he don’t deserve to be treated like this. Members who chose his service, like me, are free to do so, as well as chose service from others. it’s a free market..” It has been a personal vendetta. SLcharge had the bad Chinese software and pmercury was able to help him get a solid system that worked. Rodney and bobterry99, albeit also violating mbworld rules, set out to get him banned. If that’s the case, Rodney (forum name Rudeney) and bobterry99 should also get banned.

27. Bobterry99 chimes in the next post 124: “I agree. But members are entitled to be informed with accurate information to make the correct choice which suits their needs. Peter is an impediment to achieving that end by constantly and maliciously lying about the Chinese product that he competes with - product that not be “junk” or “crap” when a mountain of empirical evidence proves the exact opposite is true. Bobterry99 - you have been proven wrong of your accusations by four forum members just in this one thread. No, I will not be sending you a 120GB thumb drive for the SDS software installed or otherwise. The exchange that happened in this thread was not necessary.

Last edited by JamesMitchell; 12-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JamesMitchell:
BayArchitect (12-25-2019), Geo3 (12-25-2019), NHSl550 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by JamesMitchell
However, the opposite is true - bobterry99 did discuss his ability to get an Xentry system and that he would provide the software at a price over his cost (a profit).
I'll stop just short of calling you a liar and instead state that you have an agenda and are being disingenuous.

You PMed me that you wanted a system like I recommend. I spent 20 minutes on aliexpress.com to find something I thought would suit you. Then I wrote:

James, I like the looks of this. Note 15 perfect reviews. For "color" choose the multiplexer and cables without the hard drive. Price is $188.95.

The laptop you want is a Dell D630. Ebay is a good source for these. You don't need one with a hard drive. You need just 2 GB of RAM. I'm guessing you can choose one you feel good about.

I don't see where the software can be bought pre-configured for the Dell. I guess I'll set you up with something. I'll work that out in a few days. It will be 2-3 weeks to receive your order from China once it is purchased.

You purchased the system from aliexpress.com. Then I replied to you (emphasis added):

I'm disappointed and puzzled why suddenly the Chinese seem to no longer offer the software preconfigured for the Dell. What they have instead is something called "VMWare" which allows the hard drive to work with any PC. The downside is performance is a little slower, and from what I can tell getting it to work may be a little tricky for many people. If you are curious about that, then send a PM to Rudeney. His system runs under VMWare.

As a last resort I can provide you with the software.

Clearly I was not trying to sell you anything. If you didn't want a VMWare-based system but instead wanted Dell-based one, then I wrote that I would be your supplier of last resort. Price was not mentioned in our PMs, but you could infer from the thread that I would charge you $50. With that money I would purchase a solid-state hard drive, install your software, drive to my local post office, potentially stand in line for 20 minutes, pay for the postage, and return home. And for that I want $20 so I can maybe take someone to lunch since I did so much for you. And you're busting my ***** over that? After I responded to your request for help? How ungrateful. You disgust me.

Oh, and getting Peter reinstated is a fool's errand. After the first ban had he been contrite and approached the moderators, perhaps he had a chance. But they surely do not take kindly to him repeatedly coming back to skirt the ban.

Last edited by bobterry99; 12-25-2019 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ctravis595 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I am a long-time member of both MB World, BenzWorld and MHH and I just wanted to chime in on this thread to point out a few things.

- pmercury is a very knowledgeable member who shares his expert-level guidance and tips based on actual FACTS and not OPINIONS.

The other members mentioned in this thread are very negative and are regurgitating old myths, inaccurate, outdated information from nearly a decade ago as well as outright falsehoods and lies.
It is clear to anyone who is current with the state of the software packages mentioned they have an extremely limited understanding and are often dead wrong in what they say.

pmercury has created many software tools that are invaluable when it comes to working with the XENTRY system and he does not ask a single cent for them!
The only time any cost is mentioned is when a personalized installation and technical support service is REQUESTED, not advertised or forced.

If pmercury is not reinstated with no restrictions just as any other member of this forum it would be a great disservice to ALL members and set a dangerous precedent that will have a chilling effect on other technical experts here who will start to decline to share their knowledge for fear of the groupthink mob mentality that seems to be running rampant among a small (but vocal) group of negative users mentioned in the previous post.

FREE PMERCURY!
The following 6 users liked this post by cyberdyne:
AMG_55_cruiser (12-25-2019), BayArchitect (12-25-2019), Geo3 (12-25-2019), JamesMitchell (12-25-2019), MagmaRed55 (12-25-2019), PrecisionEngine (12-26-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:40 PM

bobterry99 you are violating mbworld rules

You are explicitly being confrontational to me when I asked for you to not post. I am reporting you to mbworld moderators for your removal and banning from mbworld.
The following 3 users liked this post by JamesMitchell:
AMG_55_cruiser (12-25-2019), Geo3 (12-25-2019), SLcharge (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cyberdyne
- pmercury is a very knowledgeable member who shares his expert-level guidance and tips based on actual FACTS and not OPINIONS.
Wrong.

In his signature pmercury states that software from China is "crap". That is an opinion -- not a fact. And it is a lousy opinion, since practically all of us use Chinese software and are thrilled with it.

The other members mentioned in this thread are...[telling] outright falsehoods and lies.
Prove it by citing one "lie".

It is clear to anyone who is current with the state of the software packages mentioned they have an extremely limited understanding and are often dead wrong in what they say.
That dog won't hunt. You're out of your element here, Sport. You obviously have spent no appreciable time in our forum. For to implicitly include Rodney in your statement is laughable to every member who has read this forum with any regularity.

Last edited by bobterry99; 12-25-2019 at 06:34 PM.
ctravis595 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99
I'm disappointed and puzzled why suddenly the Chinese seem to no longer offer the software preconfigured for the Dell.
This line right here is Exhibit A of just how outdated and flat out WRONG your understanding of this system is.

The reason they no longer offer this software pre-configured for the old Dell-based system is because it is ANTIQUE and DOES NOT SUPPORT the newer versions of DAS / XENTRY software and is FUNDAMENTALLY INCOMPATIBLE with the modern clone multiplexers hardware that are required to use it.

The Chinese VM-Ware based systems you mention are a joke both performance and feature wise!
The only reason one would have to use them is if they are lacking the skills required to install and configure the DAS / XENTRY software packages themselves.
The Chinese sellers have moved to this VM-Ware system as it allows them to simply create an image filled with malware, hidden remote control software with locks and restrictions and clone it over many systems for quick sale.
Clearly evidenced by the number of users who have expensive paperweights when this software inevitably blows up,

A technically superior, clean and restriction-free NATIVE installation using GENUINE Windows licenses and properly licensed setup of these diagnostics software packages on faster, newer, far less expensive and more commonly available laptops such as the Lenovo X230t can be accomplished with a minimum of issues and for those not able to do this themselves pmercury has provided excellent guidance when the other negative members have just provided verbal diarrhea.
The following 3 users liked this post by cyberdyne:
Geo3 (12-25-2019), JamesMitchell (12-25-2019), NHSl550 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JamesMitchell
You are explicitly being confrontational to me when I asked for you to not post.
I read only the first few paragraphs of your post. Nevertheless, had I noted you asked me not to defend myself against your mischaracterization of our conversations I would have ignored you. The idea that you can smear another member with inaccurate statements and not get a rebuttal is absurd.

Last edited by bobterry99; 12-25-2019 at 06:17 PM.
ctravis595 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:55 PM

In his signature pmercury states that software from China is "crap". That is an opinion -- not a fact. And it is a lousy opinion, since practically all of us use Chinese software and are thrilled with it.
If you actually had the level of understanding you claim to have, you'd know that the Chinese software is complete and total crap.

Prove it by citing one "lie"..
See my post above this one, that's just one example.

That dog won't hunt. You're out of your element here, Sport. You obviously have spent no appreciable time in our forum.
While post-count is a very poor indicator of how my time is spent, my 12 years on this forum and 13 years and 2000+ posts on BenzWorld can put that insult to rest.

Last edited by cyberdyne; 12-25-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting.
The following 3 users liked this post by cyberdyne:
Geo3 (12-25-2019), JamesMitchell (12-25-2019), SLcharge (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 06:07 PM
Banned

...Chinese software is complete and total crap.
For every person that holds that opinion there must be at least 50 who disagree. Stunning lack of awareness on your part not to realize this. Clearly you spend no time on the Mercedes forums. Hint: You are on Benzworld, so go to the R129 forum and locate the 100+ page thread devoted to discussing Chinese product.

Still waiting for you to cite an example of a lie from the other thread. Quote the exact words. And don't quote something pmercury wrote, because that doesn't count.

Last edited by bobterry99; 12-25-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:41 PM

No need to continue this discussion as it’s heading nowhere positive and I’m not going to sewer myself down to your level of non-fact based, ad-hominems.
The following 2 users liked this post by cyberdyne:
Geo3 (12-26-2019), JamesMitchell (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 185 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
For every person that holds that opinion there must be at least 50 who disagree. Stunning lack of awareness on your part not to realize this. Clearly you spend no time on the Mercedes forums. Hint: You are on Benzworld, so go to the R129 forum and locate the 100+ page thread devoted to discussing Chinese product.

Still waiting for you to cite an example of a lie from the other thread. Quote the exact words. And don't quote something pmercury wrote, because that doesn't count.
Bobterry99, In general you are a master in twisting discussions into the direction you want them to go, and neglect the unpleasant things you don't want reply too. I noticed this already in the original thread.

I am glad that some other member generated the impartial thread I suggested, I am on holiday, and only partial time at the computer, but it seems that you have difficulties controlling your self, staying out of the discussion. Instead you continue your crusade against pmercury, who in my opinion was wrongfully banned in the first place, mainly because of your doing.
For you this is personal, not about the product anymore, you have build up such a hate against pmercury, that you only see the vendetta.
If you only have a bit of decency left, you accept that pmercury is reinstated, as a full member, for the sake of all members in this forum.
Do your self a favor, step down, loose the tunnel vision, and get on with your life. You are outgunned, and outrunned. Any further action from you will just highlight the ridiculous mission you are on.

I would say, that all members who support pmercury's reinstatement, write a PM to the moderator, and support his reinstatement.
The following 3 users liked this post by SLcharge:
cyberdyne (12-25-2019), Geo3 (12-25-2019), JamesMitchell (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 CL600
Right on, James!

Thank you James and Cyberdyne for taking the time to express my feelings, and for doing it so lucidly. PMercury should not be banned, but should be praised for his responses to Bob and for his service to all of us with older Mercedes. The PC Police on this forum need to be held by the short hairs and spanked--starting with you, Bob. If I'm banned for saying so, I'll be in good company.

Last edited by BayArchitect; 12-25-2019 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Typo.
The following 4 users liked this post by BayArchitect:
cyberdyne (12-26-2019), Geo3 (12-26-2019), JamesMitchell (12-25-2019), speedlimit (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:58 PM

Bobterry99 - you've been reported to the Moderators

Your behavior is unbecoming of a decent forum member. I've asked senior moderators to have you banned from the forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by JamesMitchell:
cyberdyne (12-26-2019), Geo3 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
I know that I don't own an SL (yet ), but I hate to see good resources go to waste on these forums.

I had Pmercury work his computer magic on my system on Monday (even after I read the entire original thread). Which took the better part of 10 hours due to my slow internet connection. He is a very helpful person and I would recommend his services to anyone. I believe that he is the type of person that will reflect whatever type of energy you show him. With that being said, I have a lot of respect for most of the people that I have encountered on here. Honestly some of the smartest and most respectful people I have ever experienced. Let's not let our ego's destroy a good community.

FREE PMERCURY!!!

Last edited by MagmaRed55; 12-25-2019 at 11:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MagmaRed55:
Geo3 (12-26-2019), JamesMitchell (12-25-2019), SLcharge (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 11:46 PM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 mercedes sl550, 1995 corvette
This entire argument is ridiculous.
The following 3 users liked this post by ray0214:
Bhopkins (01-11-2020), bobterry99 (12-26-2019), ctravis595 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 12:18 AM

Received 185 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
Originally Posted by ray0214
Sir, you are entitled to your opinion, but such a statement can't stand alone.
Please elaborate, that we all can follow your logic behind your statement.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
my dealings with pmercury have varied greatly.

one day he will provide some great info, a few days later it's like he's off the rails insulting people.

we disagreed on how safe his chosen brand for his w215 coilover conversion really was, and some people agreed with me that the aforementioned kit is arguably unsafe at best. being the first person to ever document installing coilovers on a w215 you'd think my opinion would be appreciated. i'm also the only person who's tried multiple coilover kits for the w215 platform. a lot of his perspective almost seemed to be jealous at times that he wasn't the first to try coilovers on the w215 platform? im really not sure

i remember once friendly PM'ing him to see if he ever figured out a ABC warning light bypass module, because he claimed he was working on one at one point. he replied with a nasty demeanor. i was surprised, it reminds me of how a very insecure person would respond to something that you unknowingly struck a nerve with.

what i found most ironic was when he said I shouldn't share my info because i "didn't know what i was talking about" but funny enough mercedes had me in texas, arizona and california fixing mercedes the following month, surely they would've instead sent someone who knows what they are talking about

too soon his hobby/business becomes very personal it seems.

im not sure he should be perma-banned but maybe a temporary ban could serve the same effect

Originally Posted by ray0214
i agree. this seems to quickly be spiraling into a matter of interpersonal relations/disagreements. and while i disagree with this rule, it's simple, if you want to use this website to sell stuff you need to become a vendor. this rule has bothered me in the past when trying to share info about new products because they "compete with the vendors who pay to become registered vendors". perhaps the answer to these problems lies in an amendment to the rules regarding being a "sponsored vendor" because it can quickly turn discussions into very biased hive-mind discussions

regarding "problems with the software", the clones were always known to have problems. i know indy shop owners who buy two diagnostic machines because often one of them isnt working right

however in the shop we also will sometimes have trouble with the ones mercedes gives us....the system was never perfected and i can easily see how the cloned verisons give even more problems

here are some threads where pmercury is not only unhelpful but argumentative/nasty or trying to unnecessarily peddle software. note my first link he is saying without buying SDS/documentation (that he ironically sells) my advice is just guesswork at best. funny enough one of the users in the thread mentions i was correct about my "guesswork" and i think this really ticked him off. he then says i "have no money" because i dont want to buy his software lol....i think its clear with his 5 or 6 fake accounts trying to salvage his fake SDS software scam, who really is hurting for money here

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ing-brick.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...n-t-start.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...not-flush.html

Last edited by ctravis595; 12-26-2019 at 06:21 AM.
bobterry99 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 05:47 AM
Banned

For me to respond to all the pmercury apologists and demonstrate to them the factual and intellecutal bankruptcy of their arguments would be akin to convincing an 11-year-old girl that Justin Bieber is not a greater musical talent than Jimmy Page; i.e., both would be an exericse in futility. So I'll ignore them all...

Some members have purchased from the Chinese a wireless multiplexer and software running under VMWare. To their frustration and anger they find the setup beyond their abilities to get working, and they didn't bother to do their due diligence and purchase from a vendor who provides good support. So they turned to pmercury and paid him $400 to rescue them. That was unfortunate and entirely avoidable.

Any literate person with a functioning cereberal cortex can read my 2nd PM to James Mitchell and clearly tell that I have no desire to provide software to anyone. Nevertheless, I have mentioned I would reluctantly do so because the only guaranteed way I know of to avoid bad outcomes is to purchase software on a drive pre-configured for a Dell laptop, and presently I know of no suppliers. This is a matter too important to the R230 forum to allow that void to remain unfilled.

On another matter, James Mitchell and others believe I make a profit if a member pays me $50 for a drive. But they fail to account for mishaps that could happen on my drive to and from the post office. An uninsured motorist could hit me and total my vehicle, or worse, I might be at fault in an accident with multiple fatalities and land myself in bankruptcy court. Clearly devoting three hours of time and effort to produce a drive is not an attractive vehicle for making money. And if one were to perform a statistical analysis the expected value of my "profit" could very well be a negative number.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 464 Likes on 348 Posts
Good morning everyone,

I hope you had or having a wonderful Holiday.

The banning of the pmercury account was an Administrative response to 'Non Registered Vending' concerning his commercial avatar and link to a website offering services. It had nothing to do with favoring one argument over another as I have very little wiggle room when a URL links to a commercial looking entity offering services. Additionally, when I followed the link the first time I received a trojan virus warning on my end, I banned the account immediately.

Since then he has spammed the forums with multiple accounts using IP changers to announce how to contact him, all violations of our Terms of Service. Based on comments in this thread, I understand his contribution to the community has been valuable. I don't have time to play 'whack a mole' gamesmanship with him so before I ask the techs to block him entirely I suggest he contact me via the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of every page.

Bob

Old 12-26-2019, 07:41 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 464 Likes on 348 Posts
Originally Posted by BayArchitect
Thank you James and Cyberdyne for taking the time to express my feelings, and for doing it so lucidly. PMercury should not be banned, but should be praised for his responses to Bob and for his service to all of us with older Mercedes. The PC Police on this forum need to be held by the short hairs and spanked--starting with you, Bob. If I'm banned for saying so, I'll be in good company.
Hi,

There is no need for you to 'fall on your sword' concerning your opinion. I value your feedback.

There seems to be a few incorrect assumptions concerning this whole matter and me, hopefully my reply above clarifies some. Please contact me via PM if you have additional questions. Thank you.

Bob