SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Forever FIX off your ABC issues and engine oil use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Interesting. So you're saying this can delay the ABC valve block rebuild?

I have sag after 1-2 weeks and during idle I do notice my car raises up..

Anyone else try this?
if you gave SD check the level sensors and input the correct values or if you see fluctuating voltage just replace the sensor. This is also a cause of the self raising.
The following users liked this post:
Tommyboy928 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
My experience with all info i get from all over the world, FB groups and so on. In my very strong opinion is that all that have 2007 and older with ABC need this treatment to keep seals and O rings in good working condition, At one point it can be to late , and you need open system and rebuild system, also it started long time ago, the hoses internal layers start go bad, and explode. this stuff can help in that case to keep internal rubber in oil hoses in good condition.

After i write this post , all know ,i did QMI hydraulic treatment only on my 2007, in 2015 , think all work ok , no issue or leaks , BUT what happend when treated it with LIQSEAL this summer , is mutch more firm now ,than before, hard driving turns, and counterturns ,it sit better on the road. So was little bit surpriced myself..

So i can just imagine the safety issue it can be for a untreated 2003 ,2004 when ,and if go borderline active driving . Plus the hoses on all this cars that start give up now.

And its not just the Actuators ,they are cheap, but the money people spend on new or overhauled struits ,when is not needed. Plus the work money , same with a 10 dollar rear main seal,, its take out gearbox ,and put it back that cost money for mainstream man.

So to answer Das geld 2 , you can save your system ,and alot money if add now. the sagging will stop, and car will feel better on road. people that has had cars at mecanic ,and got a write up expensive repairs, after treatment ,go back to mecanic, and they cant find anything wrong.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 10-22-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Interesting. So you're saying this can delay the ABC valve block rebuild?
It certainly could if your o-rings are not too far gone. The conditioner effectively swells any o-rings to restore their sealing ability, which is how minor issues here are remedied.

Tommyboy928 (10-22-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:53 AM

89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Originally Posted by HLG600
It certainly could if your o-rings are not too far gone. The conditioner effectively swells any o-rings to restore their sealing ability, which is how minor issues here are remedied.
My frends Sl55 AMG 156 000 km, close to 100 k miles, was sinking down on suspension after 2 til 3 hours, . after treatment ,and a drive, he let car sit for a week, and it had not moved down at all. Next he will do one bottle for engine, stop the small sweating rear main seal. , before he had done qmi engine treatment on his 5 syl diesel , and engine not use oil now, over 300 000 km total on that c30 . now all cars he and frends have ,use this stuff.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
I am skeptical too but this can’t be a shill since he is recommending ordering from Norway or USA wholesalers so there’s no profit motive

I have three cars with abc leaks and two with rear main seal leaks . Just bought 6 bottles from Kwik industry , will put them in and report back
The following 2 users liked this post by tusabes:
Tommyboy928 (06-03-2023), V12orWalk (02-29-2024)
Old 12-29-2020, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 550
I see you're in Norway. I went "north" to South Carolina once, my Mercedes froze in an ice storm. It leaked for two weeks when I got back to south Florida, everything, but finally stopped. I think these cars don't like weather extremes - no leaks here in south Florida with my SL 550.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JunoJim
I see you're in Norway. I went "north" to South Carolina once, my Mercedes froze in an ice storm. It leaked for two weeks when I got back to south Florida, everything, but finally stopped. I think these cars don't like weather extremes - no leaks here in south Florida with my SL 550.
Only used my Sl63 little bit in Norway , all my 2 other SL55 AMG is used other cold and varmer countrys ,
you allready have srinked seals , ofcourse when cold, ,frezing cold, issue will be even worse, your car for shure need this treatment , to be hones all older than 2007 need this treatment, same with engine, old dry valve seals, is very few oils with enougt addetive to keep seals good. Florida you will have issue also with your roof sylinder seals, hot in sun shorten their life.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 550
Yes, my roof cylinder is leaking. Can my roof cylinder seals be fixed with your sealant ???
Old 12-29-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by JunoJim
Yes, my roof cylinder is leaking. Can my roof cylinder seals be fixed with your sealant ???
yes, need change the oil in tank, then add 1 third of bottle ,and pump roof up and down many times, can also help after done all this, use hairdryer to heat up sylinder little, the heat activate the stuff in addetive , thats why important go for solid drive when add engine or ABC.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 SL500
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum, and a new to me, a 2005 SL500. It has low km's. 77,000km or 47,000 miles. It is gorgeous in many ways......
I am about to do an ABC fluid and filter flush once the weather warms up in my region. The suspension on occasion drops down on the odd wheel, and
I would like to add a bottle of the Full Throttle MULTI-SYSTEM SEALER 4 OZ - FT40204 at that time. Also some in my vario roof, and power steering reservoir too.

I live in Canada and have not been able to find any supplier here. Or even one in the U.S. that would ship to me. Usually this is not a problem.
I even considered eBay which has a seller selling a 24 lot case. He does not ship to Canada.

I tried a few of the sellers mentioned earlier in this thread with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated with finding a supplier, or retailer that would ship to me in Canada.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by xsparky
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum, and a new to me, a 2005 SL500. It has low km's. 77,000km or 47,000 miles. It is gorgeous in many ways......
I am about to do an ABC fluid and filter flush once the weather warms up in my region. The suspension on occasion drops down on the odd wheel, and
I would like to add a bottle of the Full Throttle MULTI-SYSTEM SEALER 4 OZ - FT40204 at that time. Also some in my vario roof, and power steering reservoir too.

I live in Canada and have not been able to find any supplier here. Or even one in the U.S. that would ship to me. Usually this is not a problem.
I even considered eBay which has a seller selling a 24 lot case. He does not ship to Canada.

I tried a few of the sellers mentioned earlier in this thread with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated with finding a supplier, or retailer that would ship to me in Canada.

Thanks.
i contacted full trotthle guys for you , they say you can order on this on this link https://www.servicechamp.com/c/oil-system-treatments
Old 02-02-2021, 02:00 PM

2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Tommyboy928
i contacted full trotthle guys for you , they say you can order on this on this link https://www.servicechamp.com/c/oil-system-treatments
Hello Tommy,
Thank you for the reply. A good thread of information here.

I have been on the phone for hours trying to pin point this product from a supplier that will ship to Canada. I spoke with the head manufacturer, who supplies service champ and other distributors. They even supply QMI in Europe. He said that the product is not really taking off sales wise, and may be even harder to find down the road.

Someone higher up in Service Camp is suppose to contact me this Thursday. They may or may not ship a 24 pkg case to me. We'll see....Other suppliers just won't ship to Canada. Not worth there time I guess for a small amount.
All I really need at the moment is 3 bottles, but would purchase more if need be. (1 case)

If anyone else might know who might ship to Canada, this would be helpful. Normally I would drive across the border to my post box, but due to Covid and the border being closed at the moment, a no go.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
SL55 AMG, Audi S6 V8TT, Audi Q7 3.0 SC
Mixed results

I am somewhat unhappy to report that after using the product (full 4oz bottle of the Multi-Sealer) in my ABC system for 2+ months now (500 miles), my slowly leaking front ABC strut is still leaking.
The positive news is.... the leak seems to be slower. At the beginning, there were a 1-2 drops of ABC fluid on the floor every night, now I am seeing 1-2 drops every 4-5 days. It's leaking less, but it is still leaking, and I am not sure if it will ever stop.
My ABC system is well maintained, the fluid is clean/fresh, the filter is new and the struts are not that old. They have no more than 35k miles on them.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:31 PM

2005 SL500
I think I finally have some success with shipping to Canada.

I just got off the phone with a gentleman from Service Champ. I believe he is a main purchaser for them. His name was given to me from the manufacture of this Full Throttle FT40204, and QMI Sealer a like. No one else was able to help me due to somewhat limited stock. All though Service Champ has a large quantity of this product at the moment. Anyway he will send me a case of 24 up to Canada. I may sell a few bottles of the 24, to help recoup some of the cost.

As I am getting to know my new vehicle, plus changing various fluids and filters in my SL500 of what I can do myself, I have discovered my Vario hydraulic pump in the truck to be only 1/3 full, below the low level mark. So a good time to add some of this Full Throttle sealer 2oz to it. I assume it uses the same "Pentosin 11s" hydraulic fluid as my ABC system, of which I will flush in the very near future, plus add a bottle too.

With my vehicle having low km's 77k, it is just the age factor (2005) affecting it a bit. But all this should help, as I don't seem to have any leaks at the moment.

Glad I found this forum and thread. I don't want to change to coil-overs quite yet.
Tommyboy928 (02-04-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by xsparky
I think I finally have some success with shipping to Canada.

I just got off the phone with a gentleman from Service Champ. I believe he is a main purchaser for them. His name was given to me from the manufacture of this Full Throttle FT40204, and QMI Sealer a like. No one else was able to help me due to somewhat limited stock. All though Service Champ has a large quantity of this product at the moment. Anyway he will send me a case of 24 up to Canada. I may sell a few bottles of the 24, to help recoup some of the cost.

As I am getting to know my new vehicle, plus changing various fluids and filters in my SL500 of what I can do myself, I have discovered my Vario hydraulic pump in the truck to be only 1/3 full, below the low level mark. So a good time to add some of this Full Throttle sealer 2oz to it. I assume it uses the same "Pentosin 11s" hydraulic fluid as my ABC system, of which I will flush in the very near future, plus add a bottle too.

With my vehicle having low km's 77k, it is just the age factor (2005) affecting it a bit. But all this should help, as I don't seem to have any leaks at the moment.

Glad I found this forum and thread. I don't want to change to coil-overs quite yet.
HOW did it go, did tings get better there after you added stuff?
Old 04-01-2021, 01:09 PM

2005 SL500
Hi,
I had no luck once so ever attaining this product from the supplier and resellers in the U.S. Even one eBay seller would not ship a case to Canada. It was available from Europe, but at a ridiculous price.
So I have added a Rislone Hydraulic Seal/Conditioner to my convertible reservoir which was down a touch. Roof operates much better now too. Quicker. Strange thing is I opened the roof lock cylinder area cover and it is dry as a bone, plus the roll bar cylinder and it too is dry. All the ones in the truck area are dry. Oh well....
I plan to put 4 oz in my ABC reservoir shortly when I do a flush. I have confidence in this product as it says, and also when speaking with the manufacture that it helps condition and prevent seal issues.
Second to all that, If I have major issue's with the suspension, I'll just do a swap to coil overs and be done with it permanently. But we will see. Nothing too major at the moment.
Other than that, the car is a dream to drive!!
Cheers.
Tommyboy928 (04-02-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 06:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
C215 600TT
Resurrection

Sorry to dig this one up (it’s already so long but very informative).

I have a couple of questions specifically regarding the ABC capacity of our cars.

Presumably, the capacity of the system is the same (or similar) across the range. W220/1, R230, C215/216. The trouble is, I’m Coming across conflicting information. On a C215 for example, (as this is what I drive) the system is allegedly 4L, or thereabouts in capacity but also 10L (Mercedes recommended complete flush). I imagine this to be similar for the other models... and equally as confusing! If we are meant to add 3% of the total capacity of the ABC system, which measurement are we going by? Equally, if we are add a 1 ounce/L, the same question applies.

Separate question… Any ideas where I can find this in the UK? Neither Full Throttle or QMI seem to be available online.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2021, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ukcl600
Sorry to dig this one up (it’s already so long but very informative).

I have a couple of questions specifically regarding the ABC capacity of our cars.

Presumably, the capacity of the system is the same (or similar) across the range. W220/1, R230, C215/216. The trouble is, I’m Coming across conflicting information. On a C215 for example, (as this is what I drive) the system is allegedly 4L, or thereabouts in capacity but also 10L (Mercedes recommended complete flush). I imagine this to be similar for the other models... and equally as confusing! If we are meant to add 3% of the total capacity of the ABC system, which measurement are we going by? Equally, if we are add a 1 ounce/L, the same question applies.

Separate question… Any ideas where I can find this in the UK? Neither Full Throttle or QMI seem to be available online.

Many thanks in advance!
try qmi.no Norway i know he sendt to UK before www.qmi.no ,or maybe i can get you , bought full box from dealer in Europe, i have 12 bottles left , shipping to UK from Spain should not be big issue or ?
Old 05-08-2021, 02:55 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
C215 600TT
That’s helpful thank you but I’m still not clear on how much to add to the ABC system. I don’t understand if it’s a 10L system or 4L?

I suspect the latter - perhaps MB recommend 10L for a flush to get all the old stuff out but the system itself is in fact just 4L. This being the case, I suspect a 100ml bottle is about right?
Old 05-08-2021, 09:26 PM

That’s helpful thank you but I’m still not clear on how much to add to the ABC system. I don’t understand if it’s a 10L system or 4L?

I suspect the latter - perhaps MB recommend 10L for a flush to get all the old stuff out but the system itself is in fact just 4L. This being the case, I suspect a 100ml bottle is about right?
is liitle over 4 liters totalt in system , Add 150 ml to abc system and drive , servo 40 til 50 ml. 30 ml rooof pump . .Do one bottle for your engine valveseals also.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by tusabes
I am skeptical too but this can’t be a shill since he is recommending ordering from Norway or USA wholesalers so there’s no profit motive

I have three cars with abc leaks and two with rear main seal leaks . Just bought 6 bottles from Kwik industry , will put them in and report back
How did it goe, did your system go tight ?

My car not used any oil engine now for 2 years, or how to say, i cant measure that is any oil used, every time i do measurement, it just say oil level is OK.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
I bought a case of this seal stuff with the oil treatment. I did not plan on using the sealant. I just wanted the oil treatment. So the kid across the street has beat up 240Z and I saw him over a 3 day period putting oil in his car. I then asked him was he leaking or burning. He said it was his power steering. I gave him a bottle and told him to use half. 3 days later I saw him and asked how was the leak. He said it had stopped. It works ! but I am still skeptical using it and worrying about turning seals to mush with 11 cylinders for the top not to mention engine seals. But if you have leaks and you know you are going to have to replace gaskets and seals I can understand using it. But it is the pumps that I worry about. Also the front and rear engine seals.
Tommyboy928 (04-19-2023)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
I bought a case of this seal stuff with the oil treatment. I did not plan on using the sealant. I just wanted the oil treatment. So the kid across the street has beat up 240Z and I saw him over a 3 day period putting oil in his car. I then asked him was he leaking or burning. He said it was his power steering. I gave him a bottle and told him to use half. 3 days later I saw him and asked how was the leak. He said it had stopped. It works ! but I am still skeptical using it and worrying about turning seals to mush with 11 cylinders for the top not to mention engine seals. But if you have leaks and you know you are going to have to replace gaskets and seals I can understand using it. But it is the pumps that I worry about. Also the front and rear engine seals.
The issue with roof seals and this stuff, is that takes little longer time to fix issue , when it get heated up as in engine,ABC and powersteering it work right away, but then again, both my sl63 and the Sl55 had leak in the diff, Sl63 was dryed out seal, sitting to mutch still during its life ,that was issue, the 55 they damaged seal when put axels in after put diff lock. both was nice and tight over night after added and a drive . Just amazing .
I added my roof pump also, and circulated also the roll over bars sylinders. as prevantive measure, never had any leaks. 15 year old ABC pumps, and powersteering system with alot seals, absolute need this stuff to keep seals nice and soft .
Old 08-20-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by poppyboy
Doesn’t AT-205 Re-Seal do the same thing?

i read some has tested this type, and it work also, remains to se long term how it works out.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:49 AM

i just flushed my ABC system, the smart ting to do, is suck out all old oil from reservoir , is not far from 2 liter, then fill it up with new oil. After start engine,and have clear hose before filter to take out rest and keep fill what goes out , i used only 4 liter /q total to have only clear oil coming out and stop the operation. Seems to me super overkill to use 8 or 11 liters as many do, mistake they do is not to suck out old oil from reservoir first, then keep mixing new and old oil .

>Update on my engine oil use , after about 14 months sinse changed oil , now i did, not used any oil i can measure sinse last oil change, also old oil looked mutch more lighter than expected , more clean. Not added any oil between changes, and car is run hard after oil temp is up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Forever FIX off your ABC issues and engine oil use