SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: problem with the engine temperature gauge needle in the main instrument

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 04:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
problem with the engine temperature gauge needle in the main instrument

Hello friends, i have a problem with the engine temperature gauge needle in the main instrument. The temperature sensor is working. In the device itself, all contacts are checked. But the arrow doesn't move. I found the diagnostic device and checked the temperature sensor again. The sensor is OK, but the thermometer needle in the main unit does not respond.
I disassembled the main device and checked all the contacts on the loops. Everything is good.
I think the problem is in the potentiometer. What do you say? How can this be fixed or replaced? Now what, change the whole device?
Old 10-25-2020, 03:50 PM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
in the "found" diagnostic device, if it is Xentry/Das you have gauges actuations
with that you can move all needles up and down to test them
no need to disassemble anything

The following users liked this post:
chad500sl (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 11:40 PM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
Xentry/Das

I didn't know there was such a Xentry / Das device. Can you tell me where I can get this and how much does it cost?
Thanks for your answer and advice!.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:30 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by foxifox
I didn't know there was such a Xentry / Das device. Can you tell me where I can get this and how much does it cost?
Thanks for your answer and advice!.
just PM me
Old 10-27-2020, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by foxifox
You can buy a Foxwell NT510 hand-held device for c. $135 which will duplicate all of the functions of DAS which are typically used. (See the "sticky" post which reviews one.) Comparatively, it's drawback is that its interface (screen) is much smaller than a PC and reportedly it navigates through its software slowly. Those characteristics may matter little to someone who expects to be diagnosing infrequently.

Another choice is to buy a Dell D630 laptop from eBay for c. $50 and install a release of the diagnostic software available as a free download. This way you can have a Star Diagnosis system for as little as $200, but you have to spend some time and effort installing the software, and also, I am aware of an instance where a member had no success despite devoting many hours to the task.

Finally, I have an instrument cluster for parts from which I could sell you a temperature gauge for a reasonable price.
The following users liked this post:
foxifox (11-04-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 02:19 PM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
Originally Posted by bobterry99
You can buy a Foxwell NT510 hand-held device for c. $135 which will duplicate all of the functions of DAS which are typically used. (See the "sticky" post which reviews one.) Comparatively, it's drawback is that its interface (screen) is much smaller than a PC and reportedly it navigates through its software slowly. Those characteristics may matter little to someone who expects to be diagnosing infrequently.

Another choice is to buy a Dell D630 laptop from eBay for c. $50 and install a release of the diagnostic software available as a free download. This way you can have a Star Diagnosis system for as little as $200, but you have to spend some time and effort installing the software, and also, I am aware of an instance where a member had no success despite devoting many hours to the task.

Finally, I have an instrument cluster for parts from which I could sell you a temperature gauge for a reasonable price.
Thanks for the complete answer. I sent you a private message.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:55 AM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
Finally

Finally, I an instrument cluster for parts from which I could sell you a temperature gauge for a reasonable price.
"Finally, I an instrument cluster for parts from which I could sell you a temperature gauge for a reasonable price"

I am ready to buy a temperature sensor from you at a reasonable price. Tell me the price, but also the shipping price to Israel. If it fits, then I can pay via PayPal.
Send me a photo of the temperature sensor, please.
Kind regards
Old 11-04-2020, 09:03 AM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
In your first post you mention the sensor is fine. Have you checked the signal from the temperature sensor, B11/4, located on the front of the engine?
Yes, this sensor is ok. The arrow of the temperature indicator in the main device on the dashboard does not work. All contacts are OK, but the arrow does not move. How can this be fixed? Maybe someone can sell the internal electronic circuit board?
Old 11-04-2020, 10:49 AM

Mercedes Benz SL500 R230
Yes, I understand. At the end of the week I will check it out with OBD2 and let you know the result, but still I would like to know the price, just in case.