SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Newbie ABC question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 s550
Newbie ABC question

I recently purchased a 2004 SL500 and based on what i have been reading here, the ABC system will soon fail. I have read about the after market coil over solutions, but was wondering if there were aftermarket hydraulic struts that may wear better, but give you the same ride and handling? Sorry if that a dumb question, just getting my feet wet with this thing...
thanks
The following users liked this post:
FJ FJA (05-13-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
The Mercedes struts are actually pretty good. They will occasionally develop a leak, but are not the main issue with ABC.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
In my opinion all ABC fails. and it is not only the struts that fail as you will find out reading here. The cost of rebuilt struts exceeds coil over systems which eliminate all problems on your 17 year old car. and that is only the beginning of the other parts in the system that fail. I bought a 2004 Sl500 that was already converted to coil overs and tI rides like a dream and I don't have to worry about finding my car on the ground, especially away from home on a trip. Now the purists will tell you the ride sucks, the handling sucks, and you have altered the car forever. They never mention the sl350 which has coilovers as standard equipment. So being that you are a newbie like me if you are not a rich man who can;t go to the dealer for the raping or you just want to make a very complicated car less in one big way less complicated when your system fails go with coil overs. Now let the barrage begin .... Ducking now by the way locating a good Independent Repair outfit is critical unless you are of the mechanic do it your self type. Oh and be ready for the sway bar critics.
FJ FJA (05-13-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Talking

Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
In my opinion all ABC fails. and it is not only the struts that fail as you will find out reading here. The cost of rebuilt struts exceeds coil over systems which eliminate all problems on your 17 year old car. and that is only the beginning of the other parts in the system that fail. I bought a 2004 Sl500 that was already converted to coil overs and tI rides like a dream and I don't have to worry about finding my car on the ground, especially away from home on a trip. Now the purists will tell you the ride sucks, the handling sucks, and you have altered the car forever. They never mention the sl350 which has coilovers as standard equipment. So being that you are a newbie like me if you are not a rich man who can;t go to the dealer for the raping or you just want to make a very complicated car less in one big way less complicated when your system fails go with coil overs. Now let the barrage begin .... Ducking now by the way locating a good Independent Repair outfit is critical unless you are of the mechanic do it your self type. Oh and be ready for the sway bar critics.
The ride is trash
Old 05-11-2021, 09:34 PM

SL500
LOL
Old 05-11-2021, 09:38 PM

SL500
Welcome Warnerca! get your seatbelt ready. OH so a SL350 rides like trash. I will make a note of that
Old 05-12-2021, 09:30 AM

S55, SL500, 500SL
Originally Posted by warnerca
I recently purchased a 2004 SL500 and based on what i have been reading here, the ABC system will soon fail.
Just yesterday I sold a 2005 S55 with all of its original ABC hardware. A week or two ago a friend sold his S55 with almost all original hardware. At one point he replaced the ABC pump because it had a small external leak. That car has 250K+ miles on the odometer.

What you read here is not typical necessarily typical of an R230 owner's experience. People with problems are more likely to join a car forum than people with no problems.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:10 PM

2013 s550
Originally Posted by RScott
Just yesterday I sold a 2005 S55 with all of its original ABC hardware. A week or two ago a friend sold his S55 with almost all original hardware. At one point he replaced the ABC pump because it had a small external leak. That car has 250K+ miles on the odometer.

What you read here is not typical necessarily typical of an R230 owner's experience. People with problems are more likely to join a car forum than people with no problems.
Makes sense and good to know. Im new to the SL500 so trying to figure out the ins and out of this car and what to look out for.
thanks
Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r230 SL55
More ABC

Somewhat new to forum. I read but have not posted. Until now. I have a 2005 Sl55, I purchased from original owner 4 years ago. An older gentleman in Palm Beach. Car is near perfect. All hardware original. My abc light came on last week. Not red. Just ABC. Drive Carefully. No leaks. No drop. Feels a little flighty. I took to my indy who is just about the best. We did system check. 0 pressure. Pump failure. When I purchased this car I made clear to myself that the minute that light came on I would change to coilovers. Easy. Not so much. I was not aware that I needed sway bars and ps pump. I priced everything out. It will be about 2k for swap. I can do the swap or replace the pump. Replacing the pump will be under 2k but close enough to it. My mechanic will not do the swap. Absolutely refuses to do it. My question is do I just change the pump? I can drop it off today and have her back on beach by Saturday. I am thinking that once they get up in there to change the pump all hell is going to break loose. What are the chances of this NOT happening? All the other abc components are the originals. I am really bent about this. The car is just sitting here now. Ive not ordered anything and just cant make up my mind . If I opt for the coilovers I have to order the parts and find someone to do the work. It could take weeks. Is it worth the wait ?
Old 05-13-2021, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r230 SL55
this was really really helpful! I wish I read more before I posted. I see your in florida also. I cant seem to find a placer locally to do the swap. my indy mb guy refuses to do it.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:59 AM

S55, SL500, 500SL
Originally Posted by FJ FJA
We did system check. 0 pressure. Pump failure.
I have witnessed Star Diagnosis report zero ABC system pressure temporarily when there was a perfectly-working pump. In my opinion, pumps pumps practically never make zero pressure.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Somewhat new to forum. I read but have not posted. Until now. I have a 2005 Sl55, I purchased from original owner 4 years ago. An older gentleman in Palm Beach. Car is near perfect. All hardware original. My abc light came on last week. Not red. Just ABC. Drive Carefully. No leaks. No drop. Feels a little flighty. I took to my indy who is just about the best. We did system check. 0 pressure. Pump failure. When I purchased this car I made clear to myself that the minute that light came on I would change to coilovers. Easy. Not so much. I was not aware that I needed sway bars and ps pump. I priced everything out. It will be about 2k for swap. I can do the swap or replace the pump. Replacing the pump will be under 2k but close enough to it. My mechanic will not do the swap. Absolutely refuses to do it. My question is do I just change the pump? I can drop it off today and have her back on beach by Saturday. I am thinking that once they get up in there to change the pump all hell is going to break loose. What are the chances of this NOT happening? All the other abc components are the originals. I am really bent about this. The car is just sitting here now. Ive not ordered anything and just cant make up my mind . If I opt for the coilovers I have to order the parts and find someone to do the work. It could take weeks. Is it worth the wait ?
there is a process for "priming" the abc pump that you may want to try before replacing the pump (as zero pressure seems odd). https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ml#post7242383 Also, your original failure may have been an accumulator (rupturing and discharging its gas).
let us know what you find out,
Chris
Old 05-13-2021, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
What codes did you have? If you have a dash message, there is a code. The pump does lose it's prime easily and I think a blown accumulator could cause it. I replaced two accumulators, rebuilt front and rear valve blocks, and swapped front struts. Car came right up to level, cycled up/down a few times, oil never got low, I was topping it off as I did all of this, worked great for a minute or so. Then I got the Drive Carefully warning. Hooked up DAS, 0 pressure. Finally pressurized the tank and it came up to pressure after two or three tries. I didn't suspect loss of prime because I never changed out the pump and the reservoir never ran low, but it happened.

As far as your original question, there is no reason to believe that you will have a cascade of problems. However, if you don't have a record of accumulators being replaced within the last 7-10 years, I would consider at least replacing the front and back accumulators, the high pressure line to the rear, and the high pressure line from the pulsation damper to the tee block. $110/each for the accumulators and about $200 for the hoses. Maybe 4-6 hours labor for all that. The pump to damper hose and the front pressure hose can also fail, but those are high labor to replace and I would probably wait on those.
chad500sl (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 06:43 PM

SL500
When I purchased this car I made clear to myself that the minute that light came on I would change to coilovers. Easy. Not so much. I was not aware that I needed sway bars and ps pump.
first of all you do not need to change the power steering pump it can be bypassed. Also my car does not have sway bars. In fact Strutmasters will tell you they are not needed. Others here have a heart attack over that statement. My car has no sway bars and has strutmaster conversion. I have the car about a year now and I don't seem to feel the need of large body roll. But I did come across a good deal on Carid for a front and real sway bar. I cannot see even a slight need for a rear bar. But I purchased the front bar and waiting to have it installed. So we will see if it can provide any improvement which is already a great handling car.
Also you need to find a different Indy and you may want to do the motor and transmission mounts at the same time. Gene