SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Roof liner rear clip orientation...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 02:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
Roof liner rear clip orientation...

1) I am doing the front hydraulic cylinder leak and the clips on the back of the liner seem to have two different orientations..."gap open up" (which seems to allow for the liner to slip off the plastic plug) and "gap open down" (which seems more secure)...any specific ideas?
2) None of the clips seem to be attached where there is a (factory?) glue flat spot on the liner itself...should I superglue the clips back where the residual glue is?
Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-22-2024, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
The original orientation is down. Some people have installed them up and insert the pins in the roof first and slide the headliner over the pins. I like to zip tie a couple of the front holes to the roof, letting it hang down a couple of inches in the front. Then start in the middle of the back side and pop in the pins going out on each side. Then do the side pins and, finally, cut the zip ties and install the front screws.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:03 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
The original orientation is down. Some people have installed them up and insert the pins in the roof first and slide the headliner over the pins. I like to zip tie a couple of the front holes to the roof, letting it hang down a couple of inches in the front. Then start in the middle of the back side and pop in the pins going out on each side. Then do the side pins and, finally, cut the zip ties and install the front screws.
Perfect, Thanks.
Do you have a recommended glue/adhesive and location (do they just get reglued to where the "old glue" residue is...none of mine are in their original location (I think)).
Old 04-23-2024, 11:14 AM

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts
2005 SL600
Originally Posted by Tomcat SL
Perfect, Thanks.
Do you have a recommended glue/adhesive and location (do they just get reglued to where the "old glue" residue is...none of mine are in their original location (I think)).
I was able to remove the old glue - it kind of rolled/pulled off the headliner without doing any damage to it, used a dull putty knife and was able to get the headliner back to clean as new with no damage to the surface at all.

Once all the glue is removed, there's little locating ridges that the clips fit precisely into.

I used epoxy to reglue mine. Some plastics do not react well to cyanoacrylate (super glue), and I've got top grade epoxy (West System) on hand for other projects. I know that it will hold very well and not affect plastics.

Last edited by brucewane; 04-23-2024 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:27 AM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by brucewane
I used epoxy to reglue mine. Some plastics do not react well to cyanoacrylate (super glue), and I've got top grade epoxy (West System) on hand for other projects. I know that it will hold very well and not affect plastics.
THANKS...I was going to try JB Weld
Old 04-23-2024, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
I use either JB Weld plastic bonder or superglue with baking soda. Superglue/soda is better if you are in a hurry to get it put back together as it cures instantly.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:34 PM

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Originally Posted by Tomcat SL
1) I am doing the front hydraulic cylinder leak and the clips on the back of the liner seem to have two different orientations..."gap open up" (which seems to allow for the liner to slip off the plastic plug) and "gap open down" (which seems more secure)...any specific ideas?
2) None of the clips seem to be attached where there is a (factory?) glue flat spot on the liner itself...should I superglue the clips back where the residual glue is?
Thanks,
Tom

I used JB WELD Plastic Bonder on one clip. I was luck mine popped out without breaking of coming unglued I had a special clip removal tip. Mine were oriented from the factory with the "V" on top.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:39 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by m5zealot
I used JB WELD Plastic Bonder on one clip. I was luck mine popped out without breaking of coming unglued I had a special clip removal tip. Mine were oriented from the factory with the "V" on top.
So, 80% (4 of 5) of my clips were gap down (upside down V), the last one was gap up (V) so I went gap down (assuming that V open on top MIGHT allow the liner to slip off the pins.
I am trying JB Weld Plastic Bonder (as you and other suggested). I was surprised at how viscous/thin it is compared to traditional JB Weld. It seems to be setting up pretty solid/hard...THANKS!
Ps-This is a great Forum!!!