SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: R231 SL Batteries & their replacement: A guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:31 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by crconsulting
It’s good you have two battery chargers. So the Deltran Battery Tender Plus (OBDII connection) shows 75% charge level as well as the new one you just purchased?
If you isolate the battery it will obviously charge independently. The problem is it will reset some components in your car, so be careful. I would try connecting to to the battery directly in trunk and see what the charger reads. Connecting it directly to the engine compartment will route charge though the SAM. Also measure voltage if possible. My guess is your battery is probably already at 100%
I bought an exact match AGM battery at Advance Auto Parts today to assist in eliminating variables. It is *not* installed in the car. The car’s pre-existing verified “good” battery is installed in the car.

No- the Deltran Battery Tender Plus plugged into the OBDII socket last night *still* never reached 75% status. It was warm in the morning and still charging.

I currently have the 8amps/auto charger plugged into the engine bay terminals, and I have the Deltran trickle charger plugged into the brand new battery on the bench.

So far neither one is reaching any status increase after a few hours.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:49 PM

Received 435 Likes on 301 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by 348SStb
I bought an exact match AGM battery at Advance Auto Parts today to assist in eliminating variables. It is *not* installed in the car. The car’s pre-existing verified “good” battery is installed in the car.

No- the Deltran Battery Tender Plus plugged into the OBDII socket last night *still* never reached 75% status. It was warm in the morning and still charging.

I currently have the 8amps/auto charger plugged into the engine bay terminals, and I have the Deltran trickle charger plugged into the brand new battery on the bench.

So far neither one is reaching any status increase after a few hours.
I would leave the car alone for now, other than driving it, and focus on getting your brand new battery to read 100% on one of your chargers. If the charger won’t read 100% on the new battery alone, then the chargers can’t read 100% on the car. (just for clarity, we’re talking about the TRUNK AGM battery G1)
That would isolate your problem into two components. Either the battery is to blame or the chargers are to blame right?

It’s also possible the AGM battery is within its predetermined voltage level and won’t accept the charge but -25% is quite a bit more than one would expect to see. Do you have a multimeter where you measure voltage on the battery (on your bench) ? What brand battery is this?

Something is not adding up here….

Last edited by crconsulting; 07-27-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:34 PM

2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
I would leave the car alone for now, other than driving it, and focus on getting your brand new battery to read 100% on one of your chargers. If the charger won’t read 100% on the new battery alone, then the chargers can’t read 100% on the car. (just for clarity, we’re talking about the TRUNK AGM battery G1)
That would isolate your problem into two components. Either the battery is to blame or the chargers are to blame right?

It’s also possible the AGM battery is within its predetermined voltage level and won’t accept the charge but -25% is quite a bit more than one would expect to see. Do you have a multimeter where you measure voltage on the battery (on your bench) ? What brand battery is this?

Something is not adding up here….
New data. Not complete- will have more tomorrow morning.

Before I get to my data, here are the answers to your two questions: I do not have a multimeter, and the brand and model of the new battery from Advance Auto Parts is DieHard AGM Platinum H8.

As soon as I started the car up tonight with a plan to take it for a few ride cycles — hoping the car would recalibrate itself — the evil “Auxiliary Battery Malfunction” warning message illuminated along with a Check Engine light.

Needless to say, the Eco Start/Stop function worked perfectly during all the drives!

I did 3 drives of about 15-20 mins each with 10-15 minutes of shutdown time in between.

(1) Check Engine light hasn’t gone away
(2) Eco Start/Stop function continues to function perfectly, and so does every other function in the car whether the engine is running or whether the engine is off in Eco Start/Stop mode
(3) Upon starting the car those subsequent times, the “Auxiliary Battery Malfunction” warning message never appeared again. It only appeared that one time upon the first ignition. I’m wondering if it appeared just as a default sequence since the battery was changed by a layman (me) instead of by a qualified mechanic who would use the computer to reset the SAM (or other parameters) upon reinstallation.

My hypothesis: you were right.
Extended hypothesis details:
The bad auxiliary battery was throwing off the balance between the two batteries that the SAM wants to see or maintain. Because of the low level of the auxiliary battery, the SAM wasn’t allowing the main battery to charge over a certain level. That would explain the following:
(i) Why opening and shutting the roof a few times with the engine off the morning of my road trip caused me a battery low enough to not ignite the engine — the battery was at a fairly low level to begin with but high enough to have been starting the engine in the several days prior (car wasn’t plugged in that week)
(ii) Why the battery tender was having trouble reaching the 75% charge tier — it’s fighting a stone wall, as the SAM is pushing back on the battery tender, so to speak

Questions for now:
(A) Will the Check Engine light stay on until someone with a computer clears it?
(B) As long as the Check Engine light is illuminated, does the car think there’s a problem? There’s no malfunction of the auxiliary battery — otherwise the Eco Start/Stop function wouldn’t work at all, correct?
(C) This maybe related to (B) — is the SAM still unhappy?
(D) Does the Mercedes Dealer need to reset/calibrate the SAM / set the balance of the two batteries?
(E) Is there any sequence I may have failed to complete while/ after installing the new auxiliary battery?

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by 348SStb; 07-27-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:30 AM

I do not have a multimeter
🙁
brand and model of the new battery DieHard AGM Platinum H8.
Most AGMs will require voltage-limited charger set to float charge of 13.5-13.8V and have a cycle service of 14.4-14.8V so you would think once your charger drops to 90% it should start charging.
https://sunonbattery.com/how-to-charge-an-agm-battery/

Needless to say, the Eco Start/Stop function worked perfectly during all the drives!
Then the small Auxiliary battery G1/13 is probably within specification.
(1) Check Engine light hasn’t gone away
I looked through your previous posts, but never saw you mention this. If this started after you replaced the battery without a backup power source then you will have to read/clear the stored codes.
((2) Eco Start/Stop function continues to function perfectly, and so does every other function in the car whether the engine is running or whether the engine is off in Eco Start/Stop mode
A good step forward and an indication the batteries are within specification.
((3) Upon starting the car those subsequent times, the “Auxiliary Battery Malfunction” warning message never appeared again. It only appeared that one time upon the first ignition. I’m wondering if it appeared just as a default sequence since the battery was changed by a layman (me) instead of by a qualified mechanic who would use the computer to reset the SAM (or other parameters) upon reinstallation.
The fact that it went away shows the SAM N10 and K114 relay are communicating properly and the SAM adaption procedure appears to be functioning properly. I believe the SAM N10 takes something like 100 cycles or so to adapt.
Questions for now:
(A) Will the Check Engine light stay on until someone with a computer clears it?
Yes, most likely. If the CE does by chance go away, codes will still be stored….
(B) As long as the Check Engine light is illuminated, does the car think there’s a problem? There’s no malfunction of the auxiliary battery — otherwise the Eco Start/Stop function wouldn’t work at all, correct?
(C) This maybe related to (B) — is the SAM still unhappy?The fact that it went away shows the SAM N10 and K114 relay are probably communicating properly and the SAM adaption procedure also appears to be functioning properly.
Best to have the codes read, recorded and reset, but assuming there were no issues before, your car should return to normal.
(D) Does the Mercedes Dealer need to reset/calibrate the SAM / set the balance of the two batteries?
Yes they may if the SAM N10 stored data shows any irregularities in XENTRY. There are several settings recorded and stored. The battery charges by temperature when it is in normal driving cycle. It also has a “fast charge” alternator cycle when it deems the battery is discharged after starting or heavy electrical use. The SAM and it’s communication with the other electrical components is an integral part of how the charging system operates.
(E) Is there any sequence I may have failed to complete while/ after installing the new auxiliary
Typically the proper sequence is to install the main trunk battery G1 then hook up the Auxiliary battery G1/13. Also disconnecting the main battery G1 for more than 15-20 minutes resets several component stored settings. This can sometimes lead to some unintended consequences.
In the end you’re kind of flying blindly without XENTRY (or a competent scanner) for these types of electrical component issues.

Good Luck

Last edited by crconsulting; 07-28-2022 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:16 PM

In addition to the wiring schematics and overview .pdf's supplied by @jmattioni
Attached is some additional WIS documentation that may help others.

Last edited by crconsulting; 07-28-2022 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 07:40 PM

First off many thanks to user <crconsulting> and other thread contributors.

I have new data and I think I am near the end here. I summarize as follows.

Current problems:
a. When charging the vehicle, the charging process still does not complete to float status. (Possible suspects: restriction by SAM due to prior charge imbalance, bad SAM, bad other components)
b. Check Engine light remains illuminated despite completely normal operation of all vehicle functions including the Eco Start/Stop function. (Suspect: the action of a layman such as myself installing a new auxiliary battery while not knowing advanced protocols.)

Current circumstances:
1. Pre-existing OEM main battery (installed 3.4 years ago and the original suspect which was verified good using a diagnostic tool) DOES REACH 100% charge and float status in isolation using either the intelligent battery charger or the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
2. Newly installed auxiliary battery (purchased a few days ago after pre-existing auxiliary battery 6.25 years old was verified bad) DOES REACH 100% charge and float status while installed in the vehicle using the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
3. Brand new main battery (Die Hard exact fit AGM from Advance Auto Parts) DOES REACH 100% charge and float status in isolation using the intelligent battery charger or the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
4. Brand new Die Hard main battery while installed in the vehicle WILL NOT CHARGE to satisfaction of either the intelligent battery charger or the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
5. I have not been able to draw a conclusion on the question of whether charging the main battery from the terminals in the engine compartment also charges the auxiliary battery.

Questions:
i. I suppose I CANNOT AVOID a trip to the Dealer. It seems the Dealer needs to not only clear the Check Engine light but also reset the SAM in order to lift the restriction that the SAM is placing on the charging situation. Agree? (I am aware that <crconsulting> previously stated that the SAM appears to be working properly, but I'm not sure I want to perform around 100 drive cycles before my car will trickle charge normally.)
ii. Since it's impossible to obtain a Dealer appointment within a reasonable amount of time, I called an independent European auto shop who was recommended. Technician said a multitude of sensors need to be reset after battery replacement -- not just the SAM. (Said it takes a couple of hours.) Is this accurate?
iii. Technician in (ii) said he always installs the two batteries together in order to maintain age parity. My main battery is 3.4 years old and still good. I am thinking: if I am going to pay Mercedes anyway to perform their computer work, I may as well install a new battery now so I don't need to pay them to do it again in 2-3 years. Agree?
iv. Technician in (ii) says he doesn't like the Die Hard batteries in general. Hasn't had good luck with them. I replied I like the 3-year warranty as opposed to the 1-year from Mercedes. Any good reason not to use the Die Hard?
v. Fyi -- technician in (ii) is also booked out a few weeks. Welcome to South Florida. Therefore I am going to try to pop in to Mercedes early in the morning one day. How many hours of labor do we think is necessary to perform the necessary operations? I am thinking they could do this in about 40 minutes and not charge me the obligatory several hours of labor if I am able to convince them to be gentle with me.
vi. Will Mercedes scoff at me when they see the Die Hard battery in there? Mercedes Certification expires 09/30/2023; and while I do not take BS crybaby excuses lightly and I have successfully fought against BS dealer excuses, could I expect the variable of a Die Hard battery to be introduced by the Dealer now or down the road? (It's a battery. It's a dumb, physically constructed enclosure that provides power that isn't intelligent. Mercedes' battery ins't any less basic.)
vii. Suppose I say the heck with these matters for now and just drive the car as is. Are we still okay with that?
viii. For my future reference -- what is the procedure to connect backup power to the car during battery replacement? Can I guess here? Supply amperage (8 or 15 amps?) directly to the metal connectors that interface to the main battery itself by attaching the battery charger jaws to those connectors, positive and negative. Is that correct?

I have prepared verbiage for the Dealer which details the story of where I was, where I am now, and where I'd like to be. This is also background information for those looking to benefit from my experience. It is provided below.

<<
Customer states main (starter) battery previously reached 100% charge and float status while charging with trickle charger during vehicle storage. Customer states main battery recently did not accept charge to 100% prompting Customer to review the status of the vehicle’s two batteries. Customer states main battery previously replaced at external Mercedes dealer 03/2019. Customer verified main battery good with diagnostic tool. Customer verified main battery reaches 100% charge in isolation. Factory-installed auxiliary battery with production date code 1916 (week 19 2016) verified bad by Customer using diagnostic tool. Customer installed new Mercedes OEM auxiliary battery. Customer verified new auxiliary battery reaches 100% charge and float status both in isolation and after installation. Main battery when installed still does not accept charge to 100%. Customer test drove vehicle after auxiliary battery installation. Check Engine light illuminated. Customer verified Eco Start/Stop function and all other vehicle functions operate normally during test drive. Customer verified the same after four drive cycles. Customer states SAM is still restricting charge of main battery due to prior charge imbalance between the two vehicle batteries. Customer subsequently installed new main battery in order maintain age parity across the two vehicle batteries. Customer states new main battery accepts charge to 100% in isolation but after installation the pre-existing restriction from SAM continues to restrict charge. Customer is requesting clearing of Check Engine light and resetting of SAM as necessary together with any other necessary operations after battery replacement. Operations completed. Customer also requests technician attach known good battery charger to terminals in engine compartment to verify that vehicle charge now reaches 100% and float status. Operation completed. Vehicle ready for pickup.
>>

Last edited by 348SStb; 07-29-2022 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:32 PM

Update.

I went to the Mercedes Dealer today (Saturday) to beg if they could squeeze me in and quickly reset my vehicle’s SAM. Going on a lengthy trip Monday and I’d prefer to plug the car in without issues.

The Check Engine light actually disappeared upon vehicle ignition when the porter and I drove the car over to the Mercedes technician’s bay. So no Check Engine light variable.

I told the technician the car recently stopped charging to 100% float status which prompted me to investigate health of batteries. I indicated I changed the two batteries and the problem persists after various drive cycles despite the batteries both having been brought to 100% charge in isolation prior to installation. The technician did not seem interested in previous documentation I had with me from an external Mercedes dealer which reads, “reset SAM and charge balance.” Instead, he said there is no reset sequence. He said there is no charge balance issue. He also said the SAM is active when the engine is running, so the SAM wouldn’t be interfering when the car is off and trickle charging.

The technician plugged in the Mercedes Xentry computer and proceeded through his sequences. After a few minutes, he shook his head and said, “There’s nothing to reset.”

I repeated that the previous dead auxiliary battery must have thrown off the charge balance and the car is restricting charge to the main battery. He dismissed that hypothesis and said: “Does the engine start okay? Then I wouldn’t worry about it.”

I said, “What about long-term storage?” He said, “I don’t trust trickle chargers. They are cheap devices that aren’t useful.” “What about my intelligent battery charger,” I asked. “If the car starts fine, I wouldn’t worry about it.”

And that was that.

Not exactly a scientific approach to the problem.

I think this particular technician was NOT well-versed on the battery change procedure on this car. I do not think he was helpful at all beyond the fact that he was willing to stop what he was doing and plug in the Xentry computer. I think he was wrong about everything he said. Does anyone agree with him?

Just my luck to sneak into an unplanned time slot at the Mercedes dealer and be paired with a technician who both didn’t try all that hard and who had a false bias against my ideas the entire time.

Lastly: when I arrived home a short while ago, I plugged in the battery charger. The car still seems to be restricting charge. In a normal situation, within 10 minutes the chargers shows a positive change in status — whether using a trickle charger or a regular battery charger.

What now? Another Mercedes dealer?

Last edited by 348SStb; 07-30-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:33 PM

I think your best bet here is to compartmentalize your issues. Firstly the check engine light. You need a scanner to read/reset this. Without this, you are dead in the water and are at the mercy of what ever shop you bring this to. I'm assuming the car has very little mileage and we know it worked properly before. Therefore you have to assume the check engine light was triggered because it recorded something outside the normal parameters. The car runs normally therefore we can also assume this CE light can be cleared and never come back. Also as I mentioned above in post # 104 It may actually go away by itself, but codes should be stored (edit: looks like it did from your response post #107)

Being that you have other vehicles you may want a scanner that works and resets codes on some of your other vehicles. There are many posts in these forums about OBDII scanners and I would do some research and see what suits your needs best considering the vehicles you currently own. Errors that trigger a CE light will show up and be able to be cleared on most quality code scanners. Either way, you need a way to read the check engine (CE) and reset it. Without this, you're bringing it to whatever shop/dealership, being at their mercy, and having them deal with both issues.

These modern cars are complex, and as such can be difficult to diagnose. It's completely common nowadays to bring a car with an electrical problem to three different shops/dealers and receive three different diagnosis! Look at it from the techs perspective. Sure you get training, but outside the norm electrical issues can be a bear to track down. There's no flow chart or any amount of training that will solve outside the norm problems. Sometimes, if you get unlucky and get a tech that is inexperienced or incompetent they may even create new issues. This can quickly spiral out of control, with the customer being flooded with misinformation making the problems seem worse than they actually are. It's one of the reasons I have trust issues. We've all read/heard so many example on the internet and honestly I believe it's rampant. If you can't find labor for restaurants, imagine how difficult it is to find a competent experienced tech....

These cars monitor so may functions and like any other "smart" device, they can sometimes have a mind of their own. Think of how many times you have re-booted your phone/ipad or PC? These cars are no different from that standpoint. The difference is if something runs outside it's perceived acceptable parameters, it records the error and calculates if it's necessary to give you a warning message or dash light or store for later diagnostics. Typically most techs will record any codes triggered and reset. Only if the codes/light/warnings come back will it be truly verified as a real issue. Every car I hook up to XENTRY for the first time, typically has a few "false" codes recoded. Once cleared, they don't come back unless there is a real issue.

In post #87 you said
Update: today I took my main battery to Advance Auto Parts to get tested. Battery passed with flying colors.)
This DEFINITELY reset several stored memory settings. The car needs to go through a relearning cycle and it's quite possible for something to have triggered the CE light.
This probably will need to be reset to go away.

a. When charging the vehicle, the charging process still does not complete to float status. (Possible suspects: restriction by SAM due to prior charge imbalance, bad SAM, bad other components)
Since you removed BOTH battery's, the vehicle could be trying to measure and adapt to it's new "perceived" operating conditions. ie new battery.
Remember your car is not new anymore and has some parameters already stored, and some it needs to relearn now. Coupled with the fact you're not driving this car too much, could be one of the reasons it's not adapted yet. I would be patient here, and try NOT to obsess too much on the why the charger isn't charging as it was before, but rather whether the the car is operating properly in actual operation.

When charging, if you are charging thru front jumper terminals of the car or OBDII. The front (and rear) SAM's are controlling voltage to your battery. If your battery is 100% charged it's quite possible for the front SAM N10/1, rear SAM N10/2 to not allow the charger to go thru all it's cycles. There are several cycles the charger must go thru in order to reach "float". The Deltran Battery Tender Plus charging cycles are going to be similar to the CTEK charger. This gives you an idea of the charging process for AGM's.

Also, since you have established that the battery/charger combo will charge battery to 100% directly attached to it. You may want to temporarily charge the battery in the trunk directly. Until you get some mileage on it and then reassess....

Since you don't have a multimeter. You may want to consider something like this CTEK battery sense. It can be read from any iphone. All you have to do is stand within bluetooth range of the car.
Amazon Amazon
I use one on my R231 and it works very well. I use it as a guide on just when it's time to trickle charge my battery and its actual condition so I get no surprises. It can also help diagnose problems. You could also put one on the Auxiliary battery G1/13 to monitor it. Since I drive my car a couple times a week I only trickle if I don't plan on driving the car for a month or so.

b. Check Engine light remains illuminated despite completely normal operation of all vehicle functions including the Eco Start/Stop function. (Suspect: the action of a layman such as myself installing a new auxiliary battery while not knowing advanced protocols.)
As stated above: You need a scanner to read/reset this. Without this, you are dead in the water and are at the mercy of what ever shop you bring this to

1. Pre-existing OEM main battery (installed 3.4 years ago and the original suspect which was verified good using a diagnostic tool) DOES REACH 100% charge and float status in isolation using either the intelligent battery charger or the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
As stated above: I would be patient here, and try NOT to obsess too much on the why the charger isn't charging as it was before, but rather whether the the car is operating properly or not, in actual operation. Also, since you have established that the battery/charger combo will charge battery to 100% directly attached to it on the bench. You may want to temporarily charge the battery in the trunk directly. Until you get some mileage on it and then reassess....

2. Newly installed auxiliary battery (purchased a few days ago after pre-existing auxiliary battery 6.25 years old was verified bad) DOES REACH 100% charge and float status while installed in the vehicle using the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
I would not obsess on this at the moment. If the car drives properly in eco mode chances are it is operating properly. You may also want to attach the CTEK battery sense
Amazon Amazon

4. Brand new Die Hard main battery while installed in the vehicle WILL NOT CHARGE to satisfaction of either the intelligent battery charger or the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
For what its worth, when I had a 100% charged battery, my CTEK did eventually cycles to float hooked up under the hood. It took longer than if I charge it from the battery directly.
5. I have not been able to draw a conclusion on the question of whether charging the main battery from the terminals in the engine compartment also charges the auxiliary battery
see @jmattioni #84 post above, it is accurate....

i. I suppose I CANNOT AVOID a trip to the Dealer. It seems the Dealer needs to not only clear the Check Engine light but also reset the SAM in order to lift the restriction that the SAM is placing on the charging situation. Agree? (I am aware that <crconsulting> previously stated that the SAM appears to be working properly, but I'm not sure I want to perform around 100 drive cycles before my car will trickle charge normally.)
I'm not sure it will take all 100 cycles. The SAM records 100 cycles. (se picture 1, post #91) I'm not sure, nor have I found documentation on EXACTLY how long the process takes. These cars are designed to be driven. The SAM is probably going to need some drive cycles. It's only going to get worse the more electrically "sophisticated" these new cars get.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/0...ined-vehicles/

ii. Since it's impossible to obtain a Dealer appointment within a reasonable amount of time, I called an independent European auto shop who was recommended. Technician said a multitude of sensors need to be reset after battery replacement -- not just the SAM. (Said it takes a couple of hours.) Is this accurate?
No!

iii. Technician in (ii) said he always installs the two batteries together in order to maintain age parity. My main battery is 3.4 years old and still good. I am thinking: if I am going to pay Mercedes anyway to perform their computer work, I may as well install a new battery now so I don't need to pay them to do it again in 2-3 years. Agree?
Theoretically a good idea for the the end user. But in actually application, wasteful and not necessarily practical. Batteries can be monitored with things like that CTEK Power Sense.

iv. Technician in (ii) says he doesn't like the Die Hard batteries in general. Hasn't had good luck with them. I replied I like the 3-year warranty as opposed to the 1-year from Mercedes. Any good reason not to use the Die Hard?
I prefer genuine OEM Mercedes batteries. as mentioned in my other post, the AGM battery has a predetermined voltage level where it won’t accept a charge. Doubtful, but there may be some variations that are affecting the SAM and other components.

v. Fyi -- technician in (ii) is also booked out a few weeks. Welcome to South Florida. Therefore I am going to try to pop in to Mercedes early in the morning one day. How many hours of labor do we think is necessary to perform the necessary operations? I am thinking they could do this in about 40 minutes and not charge me the obligatory several hours of labor if I am able to convince them to be gentle with me.
They may have a flat fee to hook it up to XENTRY (one of the dealerships out here used to be about $250) and clear any codes depending on the dealership. But you're bringing the car in with a "problem" and that requires diagnostics. It will depend on their policy, but typically that's not how it will work.

vi. Will Mercedes scoff at me when they see the Die Hard battery in there? Mercedes Certification expires 09/30/2023; and while I do not take BS crybaby excuses lightly and I have successfully fought against BS dealer excuses, could I expect the variable of a Die Hard battery to be introduced by the Dealer now or down the road? (It's a battery. It's a dumb, physically constructed enclosure that provides power that isn't intelligent. Mercedes' battery ins't any less basic.)
They may and it shouldn't, but depends on the dealership, service writer, mechanic and your relationship with them.

vii. Suppose I say the heck with these matters for now and just drive the car as is. Are we still okay with that?
Get the CTEK Battery Sense or similar product installed and monitor....
Drive, Drive, Drive! Car is not designed to sit...

viii. For my future reference -- what is the procedure to connect backup power to the car during battery replacement? Can I guess here? Supply amperage (8 or 15 amps?) directly to the metal connectors that interface to the main battery itself by attaching the battery charger jaws to those connectors, positive and negative. Is that correct?
Mercedes recommends you use a "Memory Saver" and as mentioned above: Typically the proper sequence is to install the main trunk battery G1, THEN hook up the Auxiliary battery G1/13.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Last edited by crconsulting; 07-31-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:43 PM

Crconsulting —

I guess we were typing at the same time!

My post executed just before yours.

Thanks for your excellent response.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:44 PM

Crconsulting —

I guess we were typing at the same time!

My post executed just before yours.

Thanks for your excellent response.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:07 PM

This is good read for anyone interested in this subject.
Rather than copying this well written article, I’ll just link to it below. Anyone can join. You just have to register.
It may help:

https://automotivetechinfo.com/2019/...-that-battery/

btw, I use the Micro717 to conductance test batteries. They can be found under $200.

Last edited by crconsulting; 07-31-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Question program vehicle after main battery change

Hello,
Just heard about 'programming vehicle' after main battery change ??
My suspicions are high at this - can anyone here verify ?

Reason for question is 1 yr old battery replaced DIY, shop states that battery only showing 700 amps of the 1,000 recommended...
Shop states that vehicle was not programmed after battery change and now alternator is putting out excessive charge and degrading the existing battery ???

Granted my understanding of alternators and batteries is based on 'old school' laws of demand and supply.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:37 PM

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
SL 400
I changed both batteries and nothing had to be "programmed" afterwards. I talked about it in a post.

Originally Posted by dsrsrqmb
Hello,
Just heard about 'programming vehicle' after main battery change ??
My suspicions are high at this - can anyone here verify ?

Reason for question is 1 yr old battery replaced DIY, shop states that battery only showing 700 amps of the 1,000 recommended...
Shop states that vehicle was not programmed after battery change and now alternator is putting out excessive charge and degrading the existing battery ???

Granted my understanding of alternators and batteries is based on 'old school' laws of demand and supply.
Any help is appreciated.
dsrsrqmb (06-07-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by D49
There is a mix of incorrect and correct information on the internet about the battery locations & replacement procedure for the R231 SL. I wrote up a little guide to help owners find the information they need quickly and in one place.

The following information is taken from Daimler EPC Group 54, Subgroup 30. I do not guarantee its accuracy, nor do I guarantee that part numbers have not changed. If there is any doubt, contact a trained professional.

All of the following cars in all regions from 2013 to present use the same battery configuration. There are two batteries in all R231 SL models, in the same locations in the cars. Explicitly, this applies to:

SL 350 231.457
SL 400 231.465 / 231.466
SL 500 / SL 550 231.473
SL 63 AMG 231.474
SL 65 AMG 231.479

____

The "Main Battery" is A0019828208, a 12V 92Ah 850CCA AGM battery. In my region, this is a relabelled Varta SilverDynamic AGM 95Ah with OEM code (595 901 085 / G14 / 019AGM). This is responsible for the majority of the electrical power requirements of the car. Prior to July 2015, the old part code was A0055411001.

This battery is located in the rear "boot" or "trunk" of the car, under all liners and inserts. To replace it, you will need a 10mm and a 13mm socket. To replace: Use the 13mm socket to release the hold down strap, then use the 10mm socket to disconnect the terminal clamps (negative terminal first, do not let terminal clamps touch anything else once loose).

The battery date code is stamped into the top of the metal of the negative terminal. The upper two numbers will be the week of the year, and the lower two are the year itself. This battery should be good (assuming normal usage of the car) for at least 4-5 years.

____

The "Auxilliary Battery" is A2115410001, a 12V 12Ah 170CCA battery. In my region, this is a FIAMM brand battery, and to the best of my knowledge there is no standardised size or format for these batteries. The only way to guarantee the fit would be to buy the official part.

This battery is located in a dummy compartment behind the right-hand-side seat. To replace it, you will need a Torx T30 screwdriver and a 10mm socket. To replace: Remove both leather trimmed panels from the top and side of the dummy compartment by pulling firmly but not excessively. This will reveal a black plastic cage, shown in a photo below (originally by "touchyu2"). Remove 8 Torx T-30 screws from the cage. Pull free the coloured leather trim on the side of the central rear sliding compartment, which will otherwise impede the removal of the cage. You may also need to remove the trim that covers around the sliding compartment. Pull the cage clear, and the Signal Aquisition Module (SAM) as well as fuse banks will be visible, along with the top of the battery holder. This is visible in the photo below. Undo both terminal screws with the 10mm socket (negative terminal first, do not let terminal clamps touch anything else once loose), then unclip the top of the battery holder. Ensure that during replacement that the second wire attached to the positive terminal under the terminal screw is correctly replaced.

The battery date code is printed on the side of the battery, in the exact same format (week & year codes) as the main battery. Sadly, these batteries do not seem to live for very long, even with regular use. If you see the message "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction" in your SL R231 instrument cluster, it is indicative that this battery may be dying. Simply leaving the car to sit for a week may let the battery go flat. It may have a life of ~3 years in my estimate.

____

These batteries are separate, isolated and have separate functions. As such, battery trickle chargers will only charge the Main Battery unless explicitly connected to the Auxiliary Battery terminals. Should one wish to keep a SL in long term storage (perhaps over a winter), two trickle chargers would be advised. For anyone interested in the precise duties of each battery, excellent information on this forum is available from "MBtech1098" in February 2013.

I hope this helps!

Plastic cage of dummy compartment hiding the Auxiliary Battery (photo by "touchyu2")

Under the plastic cage:
Awesome post and great detail. Very helpful.

I am struggling to get replacement batteries without having to go the main dealer option in Australia. I wonder if you are able to provide me with the OEM Mercedes Part Numbers for the main and auxiliary battery please. Or at least post me to a reliable source of info. Happy to do my own digging.

My model is a W222 2019 S560
VIN: WDD2220832A516145

I believe the original batteries that came from new are re-badged VARTA ones.
I also have gotten close to local replacement models but need confirmation. They appear to be VARTA Sliver Line AGM.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2024, 12:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 SL550 Mars Red, Designo White interior, B and O sound
I just bought a replacement (from O'Reilly above all places for $120) whose specs were better than the twelve year old original I had to replace and it took me less than half an hour to undo everything, remove and replace the battery. It was much easier than I expected.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:20 PM

I’ll post the attached .pdf’s from the WIS on battery R&R here, in an effort to keep the battery info in one thread.
Just to confirm, there is no battery registration on R231. Also note, it says to re-set clock, implying no battery specified/needed to preserve anything critical in the onboard memory.

See attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Notes on battery.pdf (14.7 KB, 34 views)
install battery.pdf (238.1 KB, 38 views)
connect battery ground line.pdf (189.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by crconsulting; 04-14-2024 at 03:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by crconsulting:
Bitbytr (04-15-2024), hornethandler (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 03:24 PM

I’ll post the attached .pdf’s from the WIS on battery R&R here, in an effort to keep the battery info in one thread.
Just to confirm, there is no battery registration on R231.

See attachments.
This is great, thank you!
crconsulting (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 06:31 PM

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Just to confirm, there is no battery registration on R231. Also note, it says to re-set clock, implying no battery specified/needed to preserve anything critical in the onboard memory.

See attachments.
I think the confusion about battery reset is because there are some Mercedes models that need it, but not the R231. Most likely it SHOULD have had a battery reset function. That might have saved us all some headaches trying to figure out what's wrong. It would be nice to consistently get a clear message when a battery is no longer up to par. On the R231 that sometimes happens, but it often doesn't. The problem is that all those computer modules are sensitive to low voltage conditions and can reset unexpectedly if the voltage drops too low. You may then start to get a collection of bogus fault codes.

I just replaced the batteries in my S560 (2018) and it required a battery reset. I was able to do that with my fairly cheap Foxwell scanner. There were several fault codes (including complaints about a camshaft sensor) that went away after the battery replacement.
hornethandler (04-14-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Another tidbit concerning changing the main battery.

Many newer battery maintainers have a "power supply" mode that can be used to hold memory while replacing the battery. A charger is likely not going to work to hold memory.

The power supply mode is also useful for maintaining voltage while running diagnostics, coding, etc.
hornethandler (04-16-2024)