SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: What are the radio components?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2013 SL550
What are the radio components?

Hi, I have a 2013 SL550 with the Bang & Olufsen sound system, and I love it! It is so clear no matter how much you turn it up. I have driven the new Lexus, Mercedes etc, and none are as good as my 2013 system.

I am building a classic Mustang and I wanted to put in the same system. Anyone have the parts that go into ths B& O system? Which speakers, amps etc? Image is an example of the twitter on my car, but not from my car.

Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Bitbytr (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
'13 SL550 Mars Red, Designo White interior, B and O sound
Glad to hear you extoll your system. I have the same and am blown away by it. I get saddened by those moaning and groaning in various threads about how they perceive their system to be inadequate considering the status of these cars. (I also have the 2013 and enabled, through the engineering menu,the back to front fader. It makes a big difference.)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,960 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Well, you two are the first ones I can recall, who are positive about the audio in the R231’s, whether B&O or HK. I personally think that the R231’s are amongst the finest cars MB has built over the past few decades, with the exception of the audio systems, which have been universally panned here and elsewhere, pretty much since day one. That said, I am very happy that you are both enjoying your cars and their audio systems.

P.S. Have both of you had your cars since new? If not, is there a possibility that the audio systems have been upgraded before you got your cars?

Last edited by Streamliner; 04-24-2024 at 10:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Bitbytr (04-24-2024), ThatsMyDawg (04-25-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 03:05 PM

IKR? I'm often intimidated by the vehemence of the disdain for the audio system(s).

Mine is stock, through and through and I use it to (almost) its fullest at times–to the distress of my Apple Watch that warns me to turn it down! Oh, and my wife.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2013 SL550
Mine is stock. I can not see anyone who has the B&O saying anything bad about it. I can see people who didnt want to pay the $6900 for it saying its not worth it, but if you get it.... its amazing. Its loud yes, but its clear. No distortion at high volume.

Bitbytr (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 05:06 PM

Oh, yes: I failed to mention the piercing clarity regardless of volume. I listen to a fair amount of streaming (eg. BBC 6 Music) and the soundstage with and range are gorgeous. (That's using iPhone BT to B & O head unit). USB/CD (!) stunning. Neither I nor anyone else that's listened can fault it.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL400 R231
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, you two are the first ones I can recall, who are positive about the audio in the R231’s, whether B&O or HK. I personally think that the R231’s are amongst the finest cars MB has built over the past few decades, with the exception of the audio systems, which have been universally panned here and elsewhere, pretty much since day one. That said, I am very happy that you are both enjoying your cars and their audio systems.

P.S. Have both of you had your cars since new? If not, is there a possibility that the audio systems have been upgraded before you got your cars?
Yes, I have read the criticism of the sound system, which I believe to be totally unjustified. Generally I believe this to be because of listeners being unaware of the difference between music recorded as Hi-Fidelity (Hi-Fi) and music recorded as a sound track for a movie. Hi-Fi is generally recorded as 2 channel stereo whilst movie sound tracks are recorded as 5-7-9 channel plus sub woofer. If a listener is used to home movies with a multi channel amp and speakers, but yet never listens to music recorded on two channels AS two channel stereo music on their sound system then they will think the synthesised multi channel they are listening to as the norm, possibly even that it was recorded that way. Which it was not (There will be some exceptions to that, I'm sure). Mercedes were quite correct in having 2 channels only for music, that is how it was recorded and how it is meant to be listened to.

I now await the wroth of the entire known R231 universe to fall on me....
Old 04-29-2024, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing: I rarely listen to 5/7/9+1 sound at home and so feel I am unbiased there. I do listen to a wide variety of music on the B & O in the car, however, which is generally MP3 or whatever the format is from BT streaming over the 'net. For each, I have the fader at -6 (enabled, as mentioned earlier, through the engineering menu hack) and I get a full soundstage left to right with depth from front to back if not full 'surround sound'. (The only proper demonstration I have experienced of that full effect has been from the original disc supplied when the car was delivered.)

I am interested to understand more, however, if you feel so inclined! TIA!

Cheers.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL400 R231
Oh- well, just a slightly off-topic rant really!

Some of the complainers seem to want 4 channels of music in their car, perhaps unaware that it will be 2 channels duplicated. The sound will be no different, just more of it and no musical definition directionally front to rear. They appear to be dissatisfied with stereo and want surround sound when none is available no matter how many active speakers in any position. In any make of car for that matter. This does not apply to some of the effects on some streaming services like Apple’s “Spatial Audio” recordings, but these are re-mixes of stereo as far as I can make out. There are also special recordings made to incorporate Dolby Atmos effects on some streamers but I’m sure the bulk of what’s available is two channel stereo.

I may be wrong, perhaps they just want more noise and feel cheated none is coming out of installed speakers behind them.

On my SL there is no access to the fader function, I believe I read on this forum that it was deleted in the facelift models of 2016 so I can't comment on what a front and back enabled sound system would sound like but I too am very happy, in fact impressed, by the quality of sound from my HK system. My musical tastes are varied, including some Classical, Blues of the 30-50’s era and a whole range of Jazz, so it gets a good workout.

I'm very pleased you are happy with the sound system, it certainly was a refreshing change to read of enjoyment and satisfaction instead of displeasure and annoyance.
Bitbytr (04-30-2024)