SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Mars Red repair update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 06:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL400
Mars Red repair update

I have a 2015 SL400 in Mars Red. I have followed the class action lawsuit and the resulting Settlement. Yesterday, I took my car to my Mercedes dealer, and he verified and certified that my paint was indeed peeling and bubbling. He referred me to two CERTIFIED by Mercedes paint and body shops that are authorized to do these 'repairs' under the extended Warranty stemming from the Settlement.

Today, I spoke with one of the Certified shops, and he explained he was very familiar with the Mars Red paint issue, and owners of these cars :-). He explained very nicely the work involved, which includes, per Mercedes instructions, removing ALL the Mars Red paint, after removing the doors, hood, truck lid, etc. AND removing all the glass (!). A glass shop comes in to remove the glass. Then, the sanding, the base coats, and ultimately the clear coats. Lots of hours. Takes about 4-5 weeks!!

This shop has done several of these warranty claims, so he was very knowledgeable. In fact, he did one just last week. In short, he advised the total cost will be between $15-18,000!!! Yikes. I have to pay half of whatever the totla cost is, and Mercedes pays the remaining half. Man on man, that is a lot of dough for an old retired guy like me.

The car has 38,000 miles, and is in very good to excellent mechanical condition. Everything works as designed. The only problem is the peeling and bubbling paint and clear coat.

What do you guys think, should I pay this rather exorbitant price to repaint my car???

I am 3rd owner, and I paid about $37,000 last Fall. I have put in about $3,000 in repairs and service since I purchased last Fall. She has always been well serviced by Mercedes dealers.

I really like the car, but with the repairs, and now the paint job, I will have as much as $47,500 in the car, depending on the final cost of the paint job. And this car is 9 years old.

It won't be worth $47.5K after I pay for the paint job. But she will be in near perfect condition.

Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma.

Advice, comments are welcomed. What is my best course of action?

Joe
Old 06-13-2024, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,473 Likes on 1,120 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
1. Buying a car as an investment is a BAD idea. You buy the car because you enjoy it. So, whatever you put into it should not be seen as any kind of monetary return on investment.
2. I have a 2014 C350 with the pant flaking on the front bumper only. I will not be getting it repaired if they have to do everything you said. I may one day take it to a paint shop and have them do just the bumper.
3. I would have serious concerns about disassembling the car and reassembling it, especially for an SL with a Vario roof. But that's just me.
4. Being retired and on a fixed income, I would not put $8000 or $9000 into the car for cosmetic purposes.

Did you get any kind of notice through the mail or just decided to go to the dealer about it?

Last edited by JettaRed; 06-13-2024 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
docjoe (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,552 Likes on 2,029 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I’ve said this in another thread: The lawyers representing the vehicle owners did an absolutely horrible job for their clients. The way this “settlement” is structured, MB may actually MAKE money on the repaints. All repairs should be performed at ZERO cost to the owners, no matter what AND the owners be provided with a car of similar caliber as a loaner while the work was being done.

Mercedes-Benz should be utterly ashamed of themselves! They had the chance to step up to the plate and do the right thing, but they instead lifted their leg and pissed all over their customers.

Anyway, to the OP: I wouldn’t want my car completely dismantled as you describe, as I just KNOW that the process will create many other issues. I would have a body shop do a quick sand & respray and I’d sell the car. Or, just sell it as is and find a DIY guy who wants to fix it up himself.

I feel for you folks and if I was embroiled in this mess, I’d be looking at suing the class action attorneys. They absolutely did not have their client’s best interests in mind when they agreed to this ridiculous “settlement.” Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Streamliner; 06-14-2024 at 03:45 PM.
docjoe (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 10:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 SL550 Mars Red, Designo White interior, B and O sound
...or, if you lived in Florida, you could simply wait until someone rear-ends you (check), brake checks you (check); sideswipes you (check) and then the repairs will cover to respray, bit by bit. Talk nicely to the body shop management and ask them while they're at it to do a little extra to include adjacent areas not directly affected but needing a respray and I found they'll do it for way less than a separate job quote. CarFax will of course have a record and that'll not do the resale value any favours but, as mentioned earlier, you shouldn't really buy one of these for 'investment' purposes. Use it and have fun with it. This is my third SL and I've didn't recoup the original cost of the previous two – not did I ever expect to.
JettaRed (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 11:27 AM

SL400
Thanks for the advice. :-). I had thought of that, maybe accidentally driving it off a cliff!! Kidding.

I never buy cars, trucks, or boats as an "investment." The only thing I buy expecting a ROIC is stocks, and on those I have been lucky and done nicely. Cars are a "cost" item.

To follow up, I have decided to forego the complete paint job for various reasons, not to mention the $9,000 cost to me, but also the 'required' dismantling of the car body, including all the glass, and the probability that would lead to other problems down the road.

For now, my compressed air blowing the peeled clear coat, then polishing the area, then waxing the area looks real good (the paint color has not faded). Albeit, edges are detectable upon close inspection. Eventully, I will most likely take her to a reputable paint shop and have the entire body lightly sanded and then clear coated. Then, likely sell her, as some one here recommended.

Thanks guys for the helpful insights and recommendations. Meanwhile, I love driving my slightly cosmetically imperfect SL. /Joe
Old 06-15-2024, 01:54 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2016 SL400 & 2021 C300
Originally Posted by docjoe
Thanks for the advice. :-). I had thought of that, maybe accidentally driving it off a cliff!! Kidding.

I never buy cars, trucks, or boats as an "investment." The only thing I buy expecting a ROIC is stocks, and on those I have been lucky and done nicely. Cars are a "cost" item.

To follow up, I have decided to forego the complete paint job for various reasons, not to mention the $9,000 cost to me, but also the 'required' dismantling of the car body, including all the glass, and the probability that would lead to other problems down the road.

For now, my compressed air blowing the peeled clear coat, then polishing the area, then waxing the area looks real good (the paint color has not faded). Albeit, edges are detectable upon close inspection. Eventully, I will most likely take her to a reputable paint shop and have the entire body lightly sanded and then clear coated. Then, likely sell her, as some one here recommended.

Thanks guys for the helpful insights and recommendations. Meanwhile, I love driving my slightly cosmetically imperfect SL. /Joe
Sounds like a good idea to me. If the paint under the clear coat is in good condition, it would seem a new clear coat might cure the problem, for all intents and purposes.
docjoe (06-15-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,473 Likes on 1,120 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by docjoe
...Eventully, I will most likely take her to a reputable paint shop and have the entire body lightly sanded and then clear coated. Then, likely sell her, as some one here recommended...
Why in the world would you do this for someone else's pleasure? If you plan to EVER get the paint repaired, do it while YOU can enjoy it.

A few years ago, we thought of selling our house and thought that updating the kitchen would increase the sale value. The update was simply to replace all the appliances with ones newer and matching. Unsure if we were going to sell, I initially thought to hold off until we made a decision to do it. I then thought, "Wait! I want to enjoy the new appliances. Why put up with my old ones when I could be enjoying new?" So, we got new appliances and never put the house up for sale.

Last edited by JettaRed; 06-16-2024 at 02:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JettaRed:
Bitbytr (06-16-2024), Streamliner (06-16-2024), tx170754 (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 11:41 AM

SL400
Ah ha! Good thought JettaRed. Thank you, that's a very good idea. Much appreciated.
Semper Fi,
Joe