SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Late to the Races: Touring Long Island by SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 04:16 PM

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts
2020 SL550
Late to the Races: Touring Long Island by SL550

As grand touring automobiles go, there are few grander or more capable than a Mercedes-Benz SL550. So my 2020 SL550—the last of the R231’s—seemed like the perfect choice to take on a grand tour of Long Island, New York.

As a lifelong fan of car racing (and a former racer myself), I’d always wanted to visit Long Island. After all, the earliest major automobile road races in America took place there starting in 1904. Moreover, the Bridgehampton racetrack hosted the world’s best racers during the 1960s. I wanted to see what, if anything, was left from these long-ago events. (Carlo Demand painting of Vanderbilt Cup racer courtesy of Sports Car Digest; photo of 1967 Bridgehampton CanAm courtesy of Andy Lipsiner at Pinterest.)

Why Would a 2020 Mercedes be Slower than a 1906 Mercedes?

My ever-faithful 2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550 propelled me rapidly from Catonsville, Maryland, to Staten Island, NY—but there the traffic ground to a halt. We crawled along, eventually reaching the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and crossing over onto Long Island. The traffic there was even worse: Long Island must have more cars per square mile of road than anywhere else in the country. But I slogged along patiently, with my first goal being to retrace the route of the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup.

The Vanderbilt races were the brainchild of William K. Vanderbilt, II. As an ardent fan of the fledgling U.S. automobile industry—and a Mercedes racer himself—William was anxious to put the country’s best cars and drivers into competition with Europe’s best. He laid out a racecourse using public roads running from one small town to another. His course for 1906 was 29.7 miles in length, and the race was for 10 laps. (Photos of William Vanderbilt in his Mercedes, course map, and other historical photos courtesy of the terrific Vanderbilt Cup Races website.)

In 1906 these were rural dirt roads, sometimes only 1 lane wide. Crowd control was practically nonexistent, with spectators edging out further and further onto the course to catch sight of the next car to appear—and then jumping back at the last second to avoid being struck. Amazingly, out of 200,000 spectators, only 1 was killed after he wandered absent-mindedly onto the course. (The car shown in the historic photo is the no. 10 French Darracq, which won the 1906 race with Louis Wagner at the wheel and Louis Vivet serving as his “mechanician.”)

In 2024, most of these same roads are now 4 lanes wide, nicely paved, and anything but rural. Fortunately, no spectators were on hand as I bravely attempted my record run of the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup course in the SL550. I began in Westbury by approaching the original start/finish line “at speed” (as we former race drivers like to say).

At Jericho, I turned left and followed the gently curving highway toward East Norwich. When you reach the New Dream Korean United Methodist Church, it’s time to apply the brakes and prepare to turn left onto Northern Boulevard. These days, however, you’re bound to sit at the traffic light for several minutes. My run so far was well off the average speed of 62.7 mph achieved in 1906! (Traffic lights weren’t adopted in New York until 1920.)

Back in 1906, the intersection looked like this photo, where Felice Nazzaro is taking the left in his F.I.A.T. This period photo was taken just outside of the East Norwich Hotel. (Nazzaro’s victories in Italy inspired a 10-year-old Enzo Ferrari to become a racing driver.)

Here is the intersection today, taken from roughly the same position. A Mercedes GL SUV is leading a Jeep, with a Mercedes G-Wagon trailing behind. (An unusual number of Mercedes on the roads? Not at all: This is Long Island, home of the incredibly rich and sometimes famous.)

The East Norwich Hotel was built in 1855. A year after the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup, the hotel became the Rothmann’s Steakhouse restaurant. Today, it is once again Rothmann’s Steakhouse, having been many other restaurants in between (and occasionally just an abandoned building). It’s considered one of the best restaurants on Long Island.

In Rothmann’s parking lot, I was trying to line up a tree-less shot of the SL550, when I noticed the only other car on the lot. Yep, that’s a new Ferrari Roma. Like the SL, the Roma has a twin-turbocharged V8 engine. With a capacity of 3.7 litres, it’s a whole litre down on the Mercedes—but it is a Ferrari, after all, and it makes 620 horsepower to the SL’s “mere” 449. However, it lacks a convertible top and the all-important AIRSCARF®…

Leaving East Norwich, I began the long straightaway toward the Bulls Head Tavern corner. The 1906 entrants could hit over 90 mph along here. The cars lacked turbochargers, but they had engines as large as 16 litres (yes, 16!). And their no-profile 3-inch tires offered minimal rolling resistance. Aerodynamic drag was an issue, but at least they saved weight by omitting seat belts and roll cages… Only the very brave need apply (in this instance, William Luttgen in his 120-horsepower Mercedes Rennwagen).

Our friend Felice Navarro takes the turn (in the 1905 race) with the Bulls Head Hotel in the background.

Here I am, taking the same corner in the SL, while keeping an eye out for wayward SUVs, jaywalkers, and school busses.

The next corner was the infamous “hairpin” at the intersection of Wheatley and Old Westbury Roads. Unfortunately, there was a police SUV parked right in the middle of my intended photo. I decided to forgo the picture, thereby avoiding an explanation for why I was photographing Officer Friendly doing his job.

This section of the course along Old Westbury Road probably looks the most like it did in 1906 (other than its width and paving). It was blissfully free of modern traffic.

Did I mention all the high-end cars I was seeing on Long Island? Well, more cars per square mile, plus more millionaires per square asset portfolio, add up to a lot of exotics. This Porsche Taycan seemed almost ordinary…

…and this Maserati MC20 was considerably rarer yet. Elsewhere, I spotted a Mercedes-AMG SLS gullwing coupe, a classic Maserati Merak, a Ferrari 488, an E-Type Jaguar, several Audi R8’s, innumerable Porsche 911’s (most of them cabriolets), and nearly every single 850i convertible that BMW ever made. A random parking lot held a Bentley Continental GT convertible, Ferrari California Spider, and a BMW 750iL, along with yet more Porsche 911’s. Wherever we went, of course, the SL550 fit right into this vaunted assembly of automobile royalty. I, on the other hand, wearing cargo pants and a beat-up old beach hat, could have easily passed as an itinerant fishmonger.

Maple Cottage, on Lakeville Road, is one of the few buildings surviving since 1906. It’s a nice-looking place, largely hidden behind hedges and pine trees. In this photo, you can just see a portion of its old carriage house in the background.

Maple Cottage is particularly noteworthy because it was the headquarters of the Locomobile racing team in 1906. This photo shows the Locomobile team cars being readied at the carriage house. Both cars carry number 12, because one was a backup to the official entry. Locomobiles were made from 1899 to 1929, primarily in nearby Bridgeport, Connecticut, and were known for their high degree of precision. The cars shown were purpose-built racing machines, rather than regular production cars. They employed 4-cylinder engines, with each cylinder having a 4-litre displacement!

Number 12 was raced by American Joe Tracy in 1906. It did not perform well, owing to repeated tire failures, but it finished the 297-mile race in tenth place. (And you thought having to replace your rear Continentals at 20,000 miles was annoying…)

Both Locomobiles received significant upgrades after the race, which solved the tire problem and added more power. The backup car, now carrying number 16, went on to win the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup, driven by George Robertson at an average of 64.3 mph—the first win by an American automobile in international competition. Affectionately known ever after as “Old Number 16,” the car was later purchased by renowned painter Peter Helck and has been part of the Henry Ford Museum collection since 1995. (Peter Helck painting courtesy of https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog/article/sunday_march_14_2010_a_tribute_to_peter_helck_the_ great_american_artist]A Tribute to Peter Helck (1893-1988), the Great American Artist.)

Want to know what a piston and connecting rod from a 16-litre engine look like? Check out this cast-iron spare, held here by Peter Helck’s son Jerry!

After Lakeville, modern roads have largely erased the original Vanderbilt Cup course. In the interest of getting to my next waypoint, it was time to move on. I retraced my steps to the SL and was glad to find it safely in place.

You Meet the Most Interesting People at the Racetrack

Before leaving the Vanderbilt Cup, let’s look at a pioneering young woman of the day. During practice at the 1906 race, journalist Harriet Quimby managed to cadge a ride with racer Herbert Lytle in his Pope-Toledo. She was thrilled as the 120-horsepower race car flew along as fast as 100 mph, even though her fashionable hat flew off and was run over by other cars.

In an article for Leslie’s Illustrated Weekly entitled https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/images/uploads/Harriet_Quimby_2_10-4-1906_Med.pdf]A Woman's Exciting Ride in a Racing Motor-car, Harriet wrote the following:

It was fast, faster than you in your very wildest dreams had ever experienced, and if truth be told, you wonder how you managed to stick on, and you turn and look with a new and respectful interest at the boyish young chap, with a pink-and-white face showing between the mud and oil spots and the dimple in his chin, who had dared to speed up to the hundred mark and past it, and who expects to go still faster on the day of the great race.

…another racer comes tearing along and Lytle swerves his car to the right. He has detected a false note in the medley of noises made by the two cars. Quick as a flash he has slowed down and has run off to the side, and a second later you are both out, looking with frightened eyes at the driver who had been hurled over the fence far into the potato patch, and who immediately rises and walks toward his car, which is now only a pile of scrap iron. You and Lytle begin to question him. “Steering gear went wrong; lucky not to have been killed,” he remarks. He is unhurt, and he coolly offers to assist you into your car. The smashing of the machine and the close call on his life is only an incident in the history of a race-car driver.
Enchanted by the speed she experienced, Harriet soon learned to drive an automobile, and in 1911 she became the first woman in the U.S. to earn a pilot’s license. Just a year later, she was the first woman—and only the second person ever— to fly across the English Channel. She demonstrated her flying skills in air shows across the country and helped inspire many men and women to learn to fly—including my own mother, who took lessons in the 1930s. Tragically, Harriet was killed 12 weeks after her English Channel flight, when her new Blériot XI bucked unexpectedly and threw her out of the plane. She was only 37.

Lunch at a Castle

By now it was mid-afternoon, and I was starving. I made a beeline for the Oheka Castle in Huntington, arriving there too late for lunch but just in time for an early dinner. The Chilian sea bass was exceptional, as was a flourless chocolate torte.

Suitably fortified, I made a quick tour of the mansion. It was built in 1915-1917, during the height of the “Gilded Age” or “Second Industrial Revolution.” The North Shore of Long Island quickly became known as the “Gold Coast,” with roughly 500 mansions serving as summer or weekend homes for the wealthiest of New York City’s families. One of these was Otto Herman Kahn, who had proven himself from a young age as a highly skilled banker in Germany, England, and finally the United States. The mansion’s name, “Oheka,” is derived from Otto HermannKahn. Many say that Otto’s likeness was used for the mascot of the Monopoly game. Kahn was also a philanthropist, using his great wealth in support of the Metropolitan Opera and many other cultural and artistic organizations.

This iPhone photo shows Oheka Castle’s southwest wing. (Use of more capable cameras, such as my Sony α6400, is not allowed at Oheka.)

Oheka is the second-largest private residence ever built in the U.S., being surpassed only by the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. It has 127 rooms, with a total of 109,000 square feet of floor space. Here is a photo of the full mansion (courtesy of The Real ‘Gatsby’ Mansion On Long Island):

In the mansion’s heyday, it hosted countless lavish parties, which were attended by all the glitterati of the time. One of these was F. Scott Fitzgerald, who lived nearby and used Oheka’s parties—and the mansion itself—as settings for his novel The Great Gatsby. Many of the scenes in Citizen Kane were filmed at Oheka. More recently, Taylor Swift used Oheka Castle to film her hit video

Formal tours of Oheka Castle are available at a modest cost, but they fill up quickly. In the library, one of the bookcases on the right wall originally covered a secret passageway, but it led only to a small secretarial office.

Here’s a last look at Oheka Castle. The valet parking attendant had thoughtfully placed the SL550 right next to the ivy-covered restaurant, where I could see it from my window-side table.

Last edited by Rick F.; 08-07-2024 at 04:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rick F.:
crconsulting (08-07-2024), jmattioni (08-08-2024), Spyder_Rico (08-13-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 04:18 PM

2020 SL550
Late to the Races, Part 2

From One Mansion to Another

From the rampant luxury of the Oheka Castle, I returned to the dreadful slog of the Long Island Expressway. As I drove further to the east, I passed by the sole remaining automobile racetrack on Long Island: Riverhead Raceway. In contrast to the swashbuckling “dawn of motoring” Vanderbilt Cup or the high-speed swoops of the Bridgehampton course, Riverhead is a one-quarter-mile paved oval, featuring a figure eight layout, specializing in thrills and spills. Schoolbus races are a popular show here. (Don’t believe me? Check out
)

After 54 miles, I arrived at the Jedediah Hawkins Inn, which would be my home for the evening. What it lacked in grandeur compared to Oheka, it more than made up for in charm.

Jedediah Hawkins began working as a seaman at the age of 12 and became a ship’s captain while still a teenager. He and his brothers ran a successful shipping business for decades, allowing him to build his Italianate-style home in 1863. Although it fell into disrepair in the latter half of the 20th century and was slated for demolition in 2004, it has since been restored to its former glory. Like Oheka, the Jedediah Hawkins Inn has a secret passage—although no one seems to be sure where it leads.

After parking the SL and checking in, I climbed the steps to my tidy and modern room. And yes, that is Marilyn Monroe keeping me company from her place on the wall.

The Inn has a highly rated restaurant, where I enjoyed Long Island-style crabcakes and a(nother) piece of flourless chocolate cake!

With the last of the sunlight, I got a couple more photos.

During breakfast the next morning, I enjoyed a conversation with the couple at the next table. The husband was a retired marine biologist who had specialized in clams and oysters. He was also a car guy, specializing in Fords, including his 1965 Ford Falcon Sprint—a very rare version of the Falcon with a V8 engine and uprated suspension. After breakfast, the three of us toured the third floor of the mansion, the “widow’s walk” tower, and the basement “speakeasy.”

A First for the U.S. Navy

With a final shot of the Inn, it was time to get back on the road.

New Suffolk has sat by the shore of Peconic Bay since 1836, but it remains a tiny hamlet. I was searching for an important part of U.S. Naval history.

Irish expatriate John P. Holland had been designing submarines in the U.S. since 1875, but none had met the standards of the U.S. Navy. His sixth iteration was built in 1897 and incorporated substantial improvements, including a gasoline engine for surface cruising and an electric motor for submerged propulsion. It carried a single, reloadable torpedo tube and a pair of deck “dynamite guns,” which used compressed air to fling a projectile filled with dynamite in the general direction of the enemy. With the ability to change depth and attitude underwater, and to submerge up to 75 feet, it was a huge advance in technology.

The Navy purchased the Holland VI in 1900 and immediately launched a rigorous set of “field tests” in Little Peconic Bay, shown here. Courses were set up, and the Holland VI ably navigated them on the surface, underwater, and in both directions. Its ability to fire torpedoes was also tested. Holland’s new submarine became the first such boat to be commissioned by the U.S. Navy, named the USS Holland (SS-1).

The submarine testing facility continued in operation through 1905, but today there is no sign that it ever existed.

A Change in Plans

My goal for the afternoon was to motor out to the iconic lighthouse on Montauk Point before turning north to catch the ferry across Long Island Sound to New London, Connecticut. I made it as far as Southampton and the Basilica of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary before becoming mired in traffic getting an early start on the weekend. At an average speed of 3 or 4 mph, I mentally calculated that it would take me about 10 hours to reach Montauk—and promptly replanned the rest of the day. But I enjoyed the majestic church, which was built in 1908 and elevated to the level of a “minor basilica” in 2011.

Returning to the SL, I couldn’t help noticing a dramatic difference in its appearance depending on whether it was in the sun or the shade. It almost looked like the back one-third of the car had been repainted in a different color. I guess that’s a property of the Selenite Grey Metallic paint? I tried to look up the properties of selenite, but I was distracted when I saw a reference to its “three unequal cleavages.”

As I was leaving Southampton, a red brick home with a dramatic, medieval-style tower popped into view. A closer look wasn’t easy, given the tall hedges surrounding the property (placed there, no doubt, to ward off nosy tourists such as myself). I decided that every home should have a tower like this one. Later, I learned that this is the Balcastle mansion, built in 1910 for a “prosperous Russian immigrant,” about whom nothing more is known.

In Search of the Bridgehampton Race Circuit

Leaving the traffic jam behind, I headed north toward what had once been the Bridgehampton Race Circuit. Automobile racing began in this area in 1915, using public roads around the small town of Bridgehampton. As with the Vanderbilt Cup, crowd control was impossible, and the races were discontinued in 1921. After World War II, however, sports cars and racing became very popular, with organized events using public roads at Watkins Glen, NY, Thompson, Connecticut, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, and Pebble Beach, California. Bridgehampton joined the fun with a new course laid out on its streets in 1949-1953.

Soon, however, New York State banned automobile racing on public roads, following injuries and deaths at Bridgehampton and Watkins Glen. Hay bales and snow fencing were wholly inadequate to protect drivers and spectators. (Photo courtesy of A Wild Ride: the 7-Year History of the Pebble Beach Road Races. The driver of this MG TC was not injured.)

On Long Island, well-heeled local enthusiasts joined together and built the Bridgehampton Race Circuit in 1957. With a main straight that was three-fourths of a mile long, and curves bordered by sand dunes and/or trees, Bridgehampton was a daunting track. The late Sir Stirling Moss characterized it as “the most challenging track in the western hemisphere.” The new course soon attracted major races such as the World Sportscar Championship and the ground-pounding Trans-Am and Can-Am series organized by the Sports Car Club of America. American and international racing stars were regular participants, including Dan Gurney, Mark Donohue, Mario Andretti, Phil Hill, Walt Hansgen, Al Unser, Denise McCluggage, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, John Surtees, and many others. As a teenager during this period, I happily read about their exploits in Road & Track magazine and Competition Press, and I even got to see some of them race at the old Marlboro Speedway in Maryland. (Photo of Denise McCluggage and Stirling Moss courtesy of the Binghamton Automobile Racing Club at https://www.barcboys.com.)

The following pictures illustrate the unique nature of the Bridgehampton Race Circuit. (Photos courtesy of the Facebook group
Facebook Post
.) Note the elevation changes and the view back to Noyack Bay, with Cedar Beach in the distance.

This photo shows the early days of racing aerodynamics at the 1969 Can-Am race. The McLaren M8B’s finished first (Denny Hulme, no. 5) and second (Bruce McLaren, no. 4), with a Porsche 917 in third, driven by Jo Siffert (no. 0, the first of the non-winged cars in the photo).

This short video clip of the 1967 Can-Am race provides a fun look at Bridgehampton in action:
Facebook Post

Here we have a brand-new, alloy-bodied 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB. The car has obviously rolled over but was able to continue racing. Today, such alloy GTB’s are worth upwards of $5 million (uh, in good condition that is). (Photo courtesy of 1960s: The Golden Age at the Bridge.)

I’ll finish up the Bridgehampton photos with this one of Mark Donohue in the Penske Sunoco McLaren 6A—one of the best American drivers ever, and (in my opinion) one of Team Penske’s most beautiful race cars ever. (Photo courtesy of Barcboys.com.)

By the end of the 1960s, Bridgehampton Race Circuit still had only one spectator grandstand and a shabby press building. With increased speeds, the track had become more dangerous, and the owners lacked sufficient funds to upgrade the facilities. The last professional race at Bridgehampton was held in 1971, although SCCA amateur races continued until 1997. At that point, the Bridgehampton property was worth many millions, and the developers finally took control, building The Bridge golf course soon thereafter.

So what might be left of the racetrack? I was encouraged to find this old, corrugated hut as I approached the vicinity of the track. This had almost certainly been a flag station back in the day.

Just beyond the flag station was what had been the end of the main straight and turn 1 of the track. The view from the road revealed that the golf course was beautiful. As I stopped for this photo, a black Mercedes SL550 pulled up alongside, and the driver chastised me (good-naturedly) for not having my car’s top down. We shared a laugh, and I explained that my trunk was full of suitcases, computer bags, and other vacation necessities for my upcoming 2-week stay on Cape Cod.

At the top of the hill, I found the original, iconic pedestrian bridge for the racetrack, still sporting flags and a fresh coat of paint! The golf course has kept it as a historical monument. This bridge had featured in many of the photos I’d seen in the 1960s’ racing articles.

Looking back down the main straight to turn 1, you can get a sense for just how fast the Bridgehampton track had been. Average speed around the 2.8-mile circuit for the Trans-Am cars was 100 mph, with a good Can-Am lap being another 18 mph faster. The fastest drivers would take turn 1 at 140 mph or more. With no runoff room in case anything went wrong…

There were no other signs of the old racetrack. Thinking that this was a public golf course, I decided to see if they had a snack bar or restaurant where I could get some lunch. I soon learned that The Bridge golf club is for private members only, and I was politely but firmly asked to leave. I went on my merry way sans déjeuner. (I later learned that joining The Bridge golf club requires an upfront fee of approximately $1.5 million. Oops…)

In Search of John Steinbeck

Sag Harbor is a well-known and popular attraction on Long Island, and it was only a few miles east of the old racetrack. No doubt they would have lunch for plebians such as myself! I’m sure they did, but the Main Street attractions were so popular that, even at 2:00 pm on a Thursday, there was no place to park for blocks and blocks. And I had a ferry to catch…

I contented myself with a look at the Old Whalers’ Church from 1844, which had replaced earlier churches of 1816 and 1766. The church was designed by Minard LaFever in the Egyptian Revival style (a new one on me). Its monumental original steeple, having toppled during a hurricane in 1938, may someday be rebuilt and reinstalled. All 185 feet of it… (Historical photo courtesy of the Old Whalers’ Church.)

Right next door, naturally, was the Old Burying Ground. Cemeteries are normally quiet places, uninterrupted by strife or cacophony. Early in the American Revolution, however, British forces occupied New York City and Long Island. They chose the highest point in Sag Harbor—the Old Burying Ground—to build an earthen fort, cutting down the trees and digging earthworks across the cemetery, much to the dismay of the town’s residents. A small force of British soldiers and Loyalists held the fort and the harbor below. Gardiner’s Bay was used as a port for the British ships guarding the eastern end of Long Island Sound.

In May 1777, the British sent 12 small ships with an armed schooner escort to Sag Harbor, for the purpose of plundering supplies. Patriot forces in New Haven, CT, learned of this raid and organized a response, led by Colonel Return Jonathan Meigs. On May 24, Meigs and about 170 soldiers rowed across Long Island Sound in whaleboats. They portaged the boats across the North Fork and relaunched them into Peconic Bay. Reaching Sag Harbor, they simultaneously attacked the Loyalist forces in the harbor and at the fort on the Old Burying Ground. Despite being fired on by the 12-gun British schooner, the Patriot force killed 6 of the occupiers and captured another 90, with no casualties to themselves. The Patriots burned all of the British boats including, by some accounts, the armed schooner. It was a rare victory at a time when the Revolution was faltering. (Images of Col. Meigs and the Patriot forces courtesy of the Cutchogue-New Suffolk Historical Council.)

Famous American writers Herman Melville, James Fenimore Cooper, and John Steinbeck are all known to have spent time in Sag Harbor. But only one of them, Mr. Steinbeck, lived here for an extended period (from 1955 until his death in 1968). Steinbeck won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1940 for The Grapes of Wrath and the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1962 (in significant part due to The Winter of Our Discontent).

John Steinbeck lived and worked in California for the first 39 years of his life. He and his third wife, Elaine, moved to Sag Harbor in 1955, finding it to be a charming and restful waterside village that reminded him of Monterey when he was growing up. His home was fairly modest, and it was not easy to track down. But here it is, virtually unchanged from when he and Elaine lived here. John Steinbeck wrote his last 3 books in the tiny octagonal studio shown below, which he designed himself (photo courtesy of patch.com).

After retrieving the SL550, which was waiting patiently in the shade, it was time to take a few ferry rides.

Old 08-07-2024, 04:19 PM

2020 SL550
Late to the Races, Part III

When Peter Pan First Flew in America

The first ferry was from Sag Harbor to Shelter Island. It took all of 5 minutes to cross the one-third mile—just enough time to hop out of the SL and grab a couple of photos. Ferries have provided access to Shelter Island since at least 1846; there are no bridges.

The ferry landing on Shelter Island looked pretty old, but these days it receives dozens of SUVs, commercial vehicles, and the occasional SL550, rather than crowds of eager vacationers. (Historical postcard courtesy of the Shelter Island Historical Society.)

Sometime before 1888, Captain Thomas M. Turner started Westmoreland Farm along the western shore of Shelter Island. In addition to a farmhouse and barns, he added a unique clock tower. Capt. Turner had many friends, including actress Maude Adams, Broadway producer Charles Frohman, and a Scottish author named James M. Barrie. Barrie became most famous for writing the play Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up. He had visited Shelter Island, and it is believed that the island helped form his vision for Never Never Land—Peter Pan’s remote island with forests, lagoons, mermaids, Indians, and (of course) Captain Hook. Charles Frohman first produced the play in London in 1904, and it became an instant sensation. Soon there was talk of showing it on Broadway. (Photos of Charles Frohman, Maude Adams, and J.M. Barrie courtesy of the New York Public Library and Wikipedia.)

Maude Adams had previously starred in Barrie’s play The Little Minister,” and he thought she would be perfect as Peter Pan in America. Once again, Charles Frohman produced, and plans were laid for a short opening at the National Theatre in Washington, DC, followed by Broadway. Capt. Turner, an enthusiastic patron of the arts, proposed that a full dress rehearsal be performed outdoors, at Westmoreland Farm. Everyone agreed, and soon the sets, props, and actors arrived at Shelter Island. A wire was hung from the top of the clock tower to a nearby barn so that Peter Pan, Wendy, and the Lost Boys could fly. Shelter Island residents came out for the show, along with hundreds of their friends. By all accounts, the dress rehearsal was a great hit—and it marked the first American production of this classic play.

Today, much of Westmoreland Farm is hidden behind trees and tall hedges, invisible unless you resort to Flagrant Trespassing. However, I managed to spot the barn and clock tower across a large field. Or so I thought… Oddly, there were two towers, both of which looked quite old.

Turns out that I had seen the right farm but the wrong tower. This Facebook photo shows Westmoreland Farm before all those annoying trees got in the way of everything. In the foreground is the clock tower and cow barn. Way in the distance is another barn with two connected silos—what I had taken to be the tower of Peter Pan fame. As we say in showbiz, “Rats!”

The clock tower is still out there, as shown in this recent photo from Dering Harbor Real Estate and a satellite view from Bing Maps. But good luck trying to get a view of it.

At least I got a nice photo of the SL550, showcased by some tall ornamental grasses.

And a look at West Neck Bay.

Farther north, I found the Union Church. It was built in 1875 as part of the Shelter Island Heights Grove and Camp Meeting Association.

My second ferry ride of the afternoon was from the north end of Shelter Island to Greenport on the North Fork of Long Island. Getting onto the ferry was rather a tight fit—every one of the SL’s park-distance sensors was beeping anxiously as I drove on, with just inches to spare. No getting out and walking around this time.

Here’s the southbound ferry, making its trip. Once again, “the more things change, the more they stay the same.” Well, sort of…

From Greenport, it would be an easy, 9-mile trip to Orient Point, where I would pick up the third and final ferry, to New London, CT. Along the way, of course, I had to stop for a photo of Brecknock Hall. This magnificent home was built by Scottish stonemasons and Italian carpenters for David Gelston Floyd, a shipping magnate and grandson of a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Construction took place during 1851-1857, with no expense spared. There were indoor bathrooms and gas lights from day one.

Brecknock Hall is now available for weddings and other functions. In this photo, the bride and groom are both Lieutenants in the U.S. Navy and won an all-expenses-paid wedding in the tenth annual Veterans Day Wedding Giveback. As best I can tell, that’s a late-1920s La Salle roadster—and its use was included in the Wedding Giveback! (Photo courtesy of The Suffolk Times.

A Haunted Lighthouse?

At the Orient Point landing, I learned two pieces of good news: First, I had just made the 4:00 pm ferry. In fact, I was the last car on. Second, and more importantly, the ferry had a snack bar. Although my breakfast back at the inn was substantial, it had worn off hours ago. A foot-long hot dog, piece of cake, and a Coke Zero, and I was good as new.

Once underway, the ferry passed by Plum Island, which has a substantial history of its own. Shown here is the island’s lighthouse, which was built in 1869. The current lighthouse was imperiled by erosion, leading to a 15,000-ton stone breakwater.

Plum Island saw action early in the American Revolution, when British forces arrived here to plunder the local farms. General David Wooster sailed to the island with 120 Patriot soldiers, leading to “many shots fired but no casualties,” as the Henry L. Ferguson Museum describes it. General Wooster is little known in the annals of the Revolution—but the city of Wooster, Ohio, and the College of Wooster (my alma mater) are named for him.

The Plum Island Animal Disease Center sits about one-half mile past the lighthouse. It was established in 1954 to perform research on hoof-and-mouth disease in cattle. Simultaneously, a secret program was launched to study “HMD” as a possible biological warfare agent for use against cattle. This program ended in 1969 but was never revealed until 1993, when an investigative journalist discovered the truth. The Center continues to be controversial due to its proximity to New York City and two high-profile accidents involving release of the HMD virus.

I held my breath on the ferry until we were well past the Animal Disease Center…

Over the years, I’ve run across many old houses and other buildings that are said to be haunted. As we approached the New London Ledge Lighthouse, a couple I was talking with noted that it was one of the Long Island Sound’s most-haunted lighthouses. (Check out Five Haunted Lighthouses in Connecticut for a description of several of them. Who knew?) The unusually elegant Ledge Lighthouse was built in 1909, in the French Second-Empire style. Its lower 3 stories, plus a basement, provided plenty of room for the keeper and his family, supplies, and 11 tons of coal to power the facility. The Hurricane of 1938 shook the building considerably, with waves lashing its second floor, but no significant damage was done. The Coast Guard continued to have a 3-person crew at the lighthouse until 1987, making this the last such manned lighthouse in New England.

Ah, but we were talking about ghosts… Even an elegant lighthouse is a lonely place for the keeper and his family. Keeper John Randolph no doubt felt this way in the 1930s, but apparently it was much worse for his long-suffering wife. One day, while John was ashore for supplies, his wife ran off with the captain of the Block Island Ferry. Weeks later, distraught that his wife had not returned, John jumped to his death from the top story of the lighthouse. A long series of mysterious incidents has ensued, right up to the present. The Coast Guard crews encountered such frequent manifestations that they named the ghost “Ernie,” reporting that he would wash the windows and clean the floors when no one was looking, open or close doors randomly, rearrange items in the kitchen, and pound on their doors at night. Tour groups often report hearing sudden loud noises in the lighthouse, and their guides note that furniture is often moved about as well. Even well-secured boats have ended up adrift.

I report, you decide. But the New London Ledge Lighthouse does sound like an interesting facility to visit!

The Thames River in New London was a busy place. Nonetheless, this handsome ketch found enough space for a pleasant sail. New London is right next door to Groton, CT, which is the submarine capital of the U.S. General Dynamics’ Electric Boat Company is headquartered here—and it’s an outgrowth of John P. Holland’s Torpedo Boat Company from the dawn of the Twentieth Century. Small world indeed.

Here we are, docked and ready to roll off the ferry. From there, I would drive the remaining 126 miles to Falmouth, Cape Cod, where I would rejoin my wife Nancy, together with friends and relatives.

It was a great tour through Long Island, despite the apoplectic hordes of traffic. Once again, the SL550 proved to be the perfect touring vehicle: a comfortable ride even on crummy roads, plenty of power for making time when possible, superb brakes for avoiding crazed New York banzai drivers, and superb handling for those times that you find an interesting series of curves. And you won’t even look out of place among all the Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches, AMGs, BMWs, Audis, and Bentleys!

Rick F.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rick F.:
eddieo45 (08-08-2024), jmattioni (08-08-2024), TripleDown (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 10:08 PM

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts
2013 SL550
Well, that was time well spent, thanks for posting!
Old 08-08-2024, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 148 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
...eventually reaching the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and crossing over onto Long Island....
Small quibble: I believe that when you took the Verrazano Narrows Bridge out of Staten Island you crossed over into Brooklyn, then proceeded through Queens on your way to Long Island. I'm not a New Yorker but I ran the NYC Marathon in 2009 and the course has stayed with me.
Old 08-08-2024, 08:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Rick F.
As grand touring automobiles go, there are few grander or more capable than a Mercedes-Benz SL550. So my 2020 SL550—the last of the R231’s—seemed like the perfect choice to take on a grand tour of Long Island, New York.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7874.jpeg

As a lifelong fan of car racing (and a former racer myself), I’d always wanted to visit Long Island. After all, the earliest major automobile road races in America took place there starting in 1904. Moreover, the Bridgehampton racetrack hosted the world’s best racers during the 1960s. I wanted to see what, if anything, was left from these long-ago events. (Carlo Demand painting of Vanderbilt Cup racer courtesy of Sports Car Digest; photo of 1967 Bridgehampton CanAm courtesy of Andy Lipsiner at Pinterest.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...tCupRacer.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...967CanAms.jpeg

Why Would a 2020 Mercedes be Slower than a 1906 Mercedes?

My ever-faithful 2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550 propelled me rapidly from Catonsville, Maryland, to Staten Island, NY—but there the traffic ground to a halt. We crawled along, eventually reaching the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and crossing over onto Long Island. The traffic there was even worse: Long Island must have more cars per square mile of road than anywhere else in the country. But I slogged along patiently, with my first goal being to retrace the route of the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup.

The Vanderbilt races were the brainchild of William K. Vanderbilt, II. As an ardent fan of the fledgling U.S. automobile industry—and a Mercedes racer himself—William was anxious to put the country’s best cars and drivers into competition with Europe’s best. He laid out a racecourse using public roads running from one small town to another. His course for 1906 was 29.7 miles in length, and the race was for 10 laps. (Photos of William Vanderbilt in his Mercedes, course map, and other historical photos courtesy of the terrific Vanderbilt Cup Races website.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...tMercedes.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...906Course.jpeg

In 1906 these were rural dirt roads, sometimes only 1 lane wide. Crowd control was practically nonexistent, with spectators edging out further and further onto the course to catch sight of the next car to appear—and then jumping back at the last second to avoid being struck. Amazingly, out of 200,000 spectators, only 1 was killed after he wandered absent-mindedly onto the course. (The car shown in the historic photo is the no. 10 French Darracq, which won the 1906 race with Louis Wagner at the wheel and Louis Vivet serving as his “mechanician.”)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...iltCrowds.jpeg

In 2024, most of these same roads are now 4 lanes wide, nicely paved, and anything but rural. Fortunately, no spectators were on hand as I bravely attempted my record run of the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup course in the SL550. I began in Westbury by approaching the original start/finish line “at speed” (as we former race drivers like to say).

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06468.jpeg

At Jericho, I turned left and followed the gently curving highway toward East Norwich. When you reach the New Dream Korean United Methodist Church, it’s time to apply the brakes and prepare to turn left onto Northern Boulevard. These days, however, you’re bound to sit at the traffic light for several minutes. My run so far was well off the average speed of 62.7 mph achieved in 1906! (Traffic lights weren’t adopted in New York until 1920.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06480.jpeg

Back in 1906, the intersection looked like this photo, where Felice Nazzaro is taking the left in his F.I.A.T. This period photo was taken just outside of the East Norwich Hotel. (Nazzaro’s victories in Italy inspired a 10-year-old Enzo Ferrari to become a racing driver.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...chCornerS.jpeg

Here is the intersection today, taken from roughly the same position. A Mercedes GL SUV is leading a Jeep, with a Mercedes G-Wagon trailing behind. (An unusual number of Mercedes on the roads? Not at all: This is Long Island, home of the incredibly rich and sometimes famous.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06489.jpeg

The East Norwich Hotel was built in 1855. A year after the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup, the hotel became the Rothmann’s Steakhouse restaurant. Today, it is once again Rothmann’s Steakhouse, having been many other restaurants in between (and occasionally just an abandoned building). It’s considered one of the best restaurants on Long Island.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06483.jpeg

In Rothmann’s parking lot, I was trying to line up a tree-less shot of the SL550, when I noticed the only other car on the lot. Yep, that’s a new Ferrari Roma. Like the SL, the Roma has a twin-turbocharged V8 engine. With a capacity of 3.7 litres, it’s a whole litre down on the Mercedes—but it is a Ferrari, after all, and it makes 620 horsepower to the SL’s “mere” 449. However, it lacks a convertible top and the all-important AIRSCARF®…

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06495.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06501.jpeg

Leaving East Norwich, I began the long straightaway toward the Bulls Head Tavern corner. The 1906 entrants could hit over 90 mph along here. The cars lacked turbochargers, but they had engines as large as 16 litres (yes, 16!). And their no-profile 3-inch tires offered minimal rolling resistance. Aerodynamic drag was an issue, but at least they saved weight by omitting seat belts and roll cages… Only the very brave need apply (in this instance, William Luttgen in his 120-horsepower Mercedes Rennwagen).

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06504.jpeg

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...ugsCorner.jpeg

Our friend Felice Navarro takes the turn (in the 1905 race) with the Bulls Head Hotel in the background.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...eadCorner.jpeg

Here I am, taking the same corner in the SL, while keeping an eye out for wayward SUVs, jaywalkers, and school busses.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06510.jpeg

The next corner was the infamous “hairpin” at the intersection of Wheatley and Old Westbury Roads. Unfortunately, there was a police SUV parked right in the middle of my intended photo. I decided to forgo the picture, thereby avoiding an explanation for why I was photographing Officer Friendly doing his job.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...pinCorner.jpeg

This section of the course along Old Westbury Road probably looks the most like it did in 1906 (other than its width and paving). It was blissfully free of modern traffic.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06525.jpeg

Did I mention all the high-end cars I was seeing on Long Island? Well, more cars per square mile, plus more millionaires per square asset portfolio, add up to a lot of exotics. This Porsche Taycan seemed almost ordinary…

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06516.jpeg

…and this Maserati MC20 was considerably rarer yet. Elsewhere, I spotted a Mercedes-AMG SLS gullwing coupe, a classic Maserati Merak, a Ferrari 488, an E-Type Jaguar, several Audi R8’s, innumerable Porsche 911’s (most of them cabriolets), and nearly every single 850i convertible that BMW ever made. A random parking lot held a Bentley Continental GT convertible, Ferrari California Spider, and a BMW 750iL, along with yet more Porsche 911’s. Wherever we went, of course, the SL550 fit right into this vaunted assembly of automobile royalty. I, on the other hand, wearing cargo pants and a beat-up old beach hat, could have easily passed as an itinerant fishmonger.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06548.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...DSC06777p.jpeg

Maple Cottage, on Lakeville Road, is one of the few buildings surviving since 1906. It’s a nice-looking place, largely hidden behind hedges and pine trees. In this photo, you can just see a portion of its old carriage house in the background.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06563.jpeg

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...leCottage.jpeg

Maple Cottage is particularly noteworthy because it was the headquarters of the Locomobile racing team in 1906. This photo shows the Locomobile team cars being readied at the carriage house. Both cars carry number 12, because one was a backup to the official entry. Locomobiles were made from 1899 to 1929, primarily in nearby Bridgeport, Connecticut, and were known for their high degree of precision. The cars shown were purpose-built racing machines, rather than regular production cars. They employed 4-cylinder engines, with each cylinder having a 4-litre displacement!

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...ileGarage.jpeg

Number 12 was raced by American Joe Tracy in 1906. It did not perform well, owing to repeated tire failures, but it finished the 297-mile race in tenth place. (And you thought having to replace your rear Continentals at 20,000 miles was annoying…)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...berTwelve.jpeg

Both Locomobiles received significant upgrades after the race, which solved the tire problem and added more power. The backup car, now carrying number 16, went on to win the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup, driven by George Robertson at an average of 64.3 mph—the first win by an American automobile in international competition. Affectionately known ever after as “Old Number 16,” the car was later purchased by renowned painter Peter Helck and has been part of the Henry Ford Museum collection since 1995. (Peter Helck painting courtesy of https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog/article/sunday_march_14_2010_a_tribute_to_peter_helck_the_ great_american_artist]A Tribute to Peter Helck (1893-1988), the Great American Artist.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...dNumber16.jpeg

Want to know what a piston and connecting rod from a 16-litre engine look like? Check out this cast-iron spare, held here by Peter Helck’s son Jerry!

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...tonAndRod.jpeg

After Lakeville, modern roads have largely erased the original Vanderbilt Cup course. In the interest of getting to my next waypoint, it was time to move on. I retraced my steps to the SL and was glad to find it safely in place.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06584.jpeg

You Meet the Most Interesting People at the Racetrack

Before leaving the Vanderbilt Cup, let’s look at a pioneering young woman of the day. During practice at the 1906 race, journalist Harriet Quimby managed to cadge a ride with racer Herbert Lytle in his Pope-Toledo. She was thrilled as the 120-horsepower race car flew along as fast as 100 mph, even though her fashionable hat flew off and was run over by other cars.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...uimbyRide.jpeg

In an article for Leslie’s Illustrated Weekly entitled https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/images/uploads/Harriet_Quimby_2_10-4-1906_Med.pdf]A Woman's Exciting Ride in a Racing Motor-car, Harriet wrote the following:

Enchanted by the speed she experienced, Harriet soon learned to drive an automobile, and in 1911 she became the first woman in the U.S. to earn a pilot’s license. Just a year later, she was the first woman—and only the second person ever— to fly across the English Channel. She demonstrated her flying skills in air shows across the country and helped inspire many men and women to learn to fly—including my own mother, who took lessons in the 1930s. Tragically, Harriet was killed 12 weeks after her English Channel flight, when her new Blériot XI bucked unexpectedly and threw her out of the plane. She was only 37.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...ietQuimby.jpeg

Lunch at a Castle

By now it was mid-afternoon, and I was starving. I made a beeline for the Oheka Castle in Huntington, arriving there too late for lunch but just in time for an early dinner. The Chilian sea bass was exceptional, as was a flourless chocolate torte.

Suitably fortified, I made a quick tour of the mansion. It was built in 1915-1917, during the height of the “Gilded Age” or “Second Industrial Revolution.” The North Shore of Long Island quickly became known as the “Gold Coast,” with roughly 500 mansions serving as summer or weekend homes for the wealthiest of New York City’s families. One of these was Otto Herman Kahn, who had proven himself from a young age as a highly skilled banker in Germany, England, and finally the United States. The mansion’s name, “Oheka,” is derived from Otto HermannKahn. Many say that Otto’s likeness was used for the mascot of the Monopoly game. Kahn was also a philanthropist, using his great wealth in support of the Metropolitan Opera and many other cultural and artistic organizations.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...nMonopoly.jpeg

This iPhone photo shows Oheka Castle’s southwest wing. (Use of more capable cameras, such as my Sony α6400, is not allowed at Oheka.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7851.jpeg

Oheka is the second-largest private residence ever built in the U.S., being surpassed only by the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. It has 127 rooms, with a total of 109,000 square feet of floor space. Here is a photo of the full mansion (courtesy of The Real ‘Gatsby’ Mansion On Long Island):

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...kaCastleS.jpeg

In the mansion’s heyday, it hosted countless lavish parties, which were attended by all the glitterati of the time. One of these was F. Scott Fitzgerald, who lived nearby and used Oheka’s parties—and the mansion itself—as settings for his novel The Great Gatsby. Many of the scenes in Citizen Kane were filmed at Oheka. More recently, Taylor Swift used Oheka Castle to film her hit video Blank Space.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...orAtOheka.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7855.jpeg

Formal tours of Oheka Castle are available at a modest cost, but they fill up quickly. In the library, one of the bookcases on the right wall originally covered a secret passageway, but it led only to a small secretarial office.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7869.jpeg

Here’s a last look at Oheka Castle. The valet parking attendant had thoughtfully placed the SL550 right next to the ivy-covered restaurant, where I could see it from my window-side table.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7877.jpeg
Late to the Races, Part 2

From One Mansion to Another

From the rampant luxury of the Oheka Castle, I returned to the dreadful slog of the Long Island Expressway. As I drove further to the east, I passed by the sole remaining automobile racetrack on Long Island: Riverhead Raceway. In contrast to the swashbuckling “dawn of motoring” Vanderbilt Cup or the high-speed swoops of the Bridgehampton course, Riverhead is a one-quarter-mile paved oval, featuring a figure eight layout, specializing in thrills and spills. Schoolbus races are a popular show here. (Don’t believe me? Check out this YouTube video!)

After 54 miles, I arrived at the Jedediah Hawkins Inn, which would be my home for the evening. What it lacked in grandeur compared to Oheka, it more than made up for in charm.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06611.jpeg

Jedediah Hawkins began working as a seaman at the age of 12 and became a ship’s captain while still a teenager. He and his brothers ran a successful shipping business for decades, allowing him to build his Italianate-style home in 1863. Although it fell into disrepair in the latter half of the 20th century and was slated for demolition in 2004, it has since been restored to its former glory. Like Oheka, the Jedediah Hawkins Inn has a secret passage—although no one seems to be sure where it leads.

After parking the SL and checking in, I climbed the steps to my tidy and modern room. And yes, that is Marilyn Monroe keeping me company from her place on the wall.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06605.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06587.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...nd/Marilyn.jpg

The Inn has a highly rated restaurant, where I enjoyed Long Island-style crabcakes and a(nother) piece of flourless chocolate cake!

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7883.jpeg

With the last of the sunlight, I got a couple more photos.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06638.jpeg

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06653.jpeg

During breakfast the next morning, I enjoyed a conversation with the couple at the next table. The husband was a retired marine biologist who had specialized in clams and oysters. He was also a car guy, specializing in Fords, including his 1965 Ford Falcon Sprint—a very rare version of the Falcon with a V8 engine and uprated suspension. After breakfast, the three of us toured the third floor of the mansion, the “widow’s walk” tower, and the basement “speakeasy.”

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7892.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../IMG_7895.jpeg

A First for the U.S. Navy

With a final shot of the Inn, it was time to get back on the road.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06665.jpeg

New Suffolk has sat by the shore of Peconic Bay since 1836, but it remains a tiny hamlet. I was searching for an important part of U.S. Naval history.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06702.jpeg

Irish expatriate John P. Holland had been designing submarines in the U.S. since 1875, but none had met the standards of the U.S. Navy. His sixth iteration was built in 1897 and incorporated substantial improvements, including a gasoline engine for surface cruising and an electric motor for submerged propulsion. It carried a single, reloadable torpedo tube and a pair of deck “dynamite guns,” which used compressed air to fling a projectile filled with dynamite in the general direction of the enemy. With the ability to change depth and attitude underwater, and to submerge up to 75 feet, it was a huge advance in technology.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...SHollandS.jpeg

The Navy purchased the Holland VI in 1900 and immediately launched a rigorous set of “field tests” in Little Peconic Bay, shown here. Courses were set up, and the Holland VI ably navigated them on the surface, underwater, and in both directions. Its ability to fire torpedoes was also tested. Holland’s new submarine became the first such boat to be commissioned by the U.S. Navy, named the USS Holland (SS-1).

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06690.jpeg

The submarine testing facility continued in operation through 1905, but today there is no sign that it ever existed.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06693.jpeg

A Change in Plans

My goal for the afternoon was to motor out to the iconic lighthouse on Montauk Point before turning north to catch the ferry across Long Island Sound to New London, Connecticut. I made it as far as Southampton and the Basilica of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary before becoming mired in traffic getting an early start on the weekend. At an average speed of 3 or 4 mph, I mentally calculated that it would take me about 10 hours to reach Montauk—and promptly replanned the rest of the day. But I enjoyed the majestic church, which was built in 1908 and elevated to the level of a “minor basilica” in 2011.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06708.jpeg

Returning to the SL, I couldn’t help noticing a dramatic difference in its appearance depending on whether it was in the sun or the shade. It almost looked like the back one-third of the car had been repainted in a different color. I guess that’s a property of the Selenite Grey Metallic paint? I tried to look up the properties of selenite, but I was distracted when I saw a reference to its “three unequal cleavages.”

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06711.jpeg

As I was leaving Southampton, a red brick home with a dramatic, medieval-style tower popped into view. A closer look wasn’t easy, given the tall hedges surrounding the property (placed there, no doubt, to ward off nosy tourists such as myself). I decided that every home should have a tower like this one. Later, I learned that this is the Balcastle mansion, built in 1910 for a “prosperous Russian immigrant,” about whom nothing more is known.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06717.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06729.jpeg

In Search of the Bridgehampton Race Circuit

Leaving the traffic jam behind, I headed north toward what had once been the Bridgehampton Race Circuit. Automobile racing began in this area in 1915, using public roads around the small town of Bridgehampton. As with the Vanderbilt Cup, crowd control was impossible, and the races were discontinued in 1921. After World War II, however, sports cars and racing became very popular, with organized events using public roads at Watkins Glen, NY, Thompson, Connecticut, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, and Pebble Beach, California. Bridgehampton joined the fun with a new course laid out on its streets in 1949-1953.

Soon, however, New York State banned automobile racing on public roads, following injuries and deaths at Bridgehampton and Watkins Glen. Hay bales and snow fencing were wholly inadequate to protect drivers and spectators. (Photo courtesy of A Wild Ride: the 7-Year History of the Pebble Beach Road Races. The driver of this MG TC was not injured.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...WreckedTC.jpeg

On Long Island, well-heeled local enthusiasts joined together and built the Bridgehampton Race Circuit in 1957. With a main straight that was three-fourths of a mile long, and curves bordered by sand dunes and/or trees, Bridgehampton was a daunting track. The late Sir Stirling Moss characterized it as “the most challenging track in the western hemisphere.” The new course soon attracted major races such as the World Sportscar Championship and the ground-pounding Trans-Am and Can-Am series organized by the Sports Car Club of America. American and international racing stars were regular participants, including Dan Gurney, Mark Donohue, Mario Andretti, Phil Hill, Walt Hansgen, Al Unser, Denise McCluggage, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, John Surtees, and many others. As a teenager during this period, I happily read about their exploits in Road & Track magazine and Competition Press, and I even got to see some of them race at the old Marlboro Speedway in Maryland. (Photo of Denise McCluggage and Stirling Moss courtesy of the Binghamton Automobile Racing Club at https://www.barcboys.com.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...dStirling.jpeg

The following pictures illustrate the unique nature of the Bridgehampton Race Circuit. (Photos courtesy of the Facebook group Bridgehamton Race Circuit Memories.) Note the elevation changes and the view back to Noyack Bay, with Cedar Beach in the distance.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...mOverlook.jpeg

This photo shows the early days of racing aerodynamics at the 1969 Can-Am race. The McLaren M8B’s finished first (Denny Hulme, no. 5) and second (Bruce McLaren, no. 4), with a Porsche 917 in third, driven by Jo Siffert (no. 0, the first of the non-winged cars in the photo).

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...EarlyAero.jpeg

This short video clip of the 1967 Can-Am race provides a fun look at Bridgehampton in action: Can Am: A Racing Odyssey.

Here we have a brand-new, alloy-bodied 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB. The car has obviously rolled over but was able to continue racing. Today, such alloy GTB’s are worth upwards of $5 million (uh, in good condition that is). (Photo courtesy of 1960s: The Golden Age at the Bridge.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...RolledGTB.jpeg

I’ll finish up the Bridgehampton photos with this one of Mark Donohue in the Penske Sunoco McLaren 6A—one of the best American drivers ever, and (in my opinion) one of Team Penske’s most beautiful race cars ever. (Photo courtesy of Barcboys.com.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...coMcLaren.jpeg

By the end of the 1960s, Bridgehampton Race Circuit still had only one spectator grandstand and a shabby press building. With increased speeds, the track had become more dangerous, and the owners lacked sufficient funds to upgrade the facilities. The last professional race at Bridgehampton was held in 1971, although SCCA amateur races continued until 1997. At that point, the Bridgehampton property was worth many millions, and the developers finally took control, building The Bridge golf course soon thereafter.

So what might be left of the racetrack? I was encouraged to find this old, corrugated hut as I approached the vicinity of the track. This had almost certainly been a flag station back in the day.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06738.jpeg

Just beyond the flag station was what had been the end of the main straight and turn 1 of the track. The view from the road revealed that the golf course was beautiful. As I stopped for this photo, a black Mercedes SL550 pulled up alongside, and the driver chastised me (good-naturedly) for not having my car’s top down. We shared a laugh, and I explained that my trunk was full of suitcases, computer bags, and other vacation necessities for my upcoming 2-week stay on Cape Cod.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06783.jpeg

At the top of the hill, I found the original, iconic pedestrian bridge for the racetrack, still sporting flags and a fresh coat of paint! The golf course has kept it as a historical monument. This bridge had featured in many of the photos I’d seen in the 1960s’ racing articles.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06771.jpeg

Looking back down the main straight to turn 1, you can get a sense for just how fast the Bridgehampton track had been. Average speed around the 2.8-mile circuit for the Trans-Am cars was 100 mph, with a good Can-Am lap being another 18 mph faster. The fastest drivers would take turn 1 at 140 mph or more. With no runoff room in case anything went wrong…

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06792.jpeg

There were no other signs of the old racetrack. Thinking that this was a public golf course, I decided to see if they had a snack bar or restaurant where I could get some lunch. I soon learned that The Bridge golf club is for private members only, and I was politely but firmly asked to leave. I went on my merry way sans déjeuner. (I later learned that joining The Bridge golf club requires an upfront fee of approximately $1.5 million. Oops…)

In Search of John Steinbeck

Sag Harbor is a well-known and popular attraction on Long Island, and it was only a few miles east of the old racetrack. No doubt they would have lunch for plebians such as myself! I’m sure they did, but the Main Street attractions were so popular that, even at 2:00 pm on a Thursday, there was no place to park for blocks and blocks. And I had a ferry to catch…

I contented myself with a look at the Old Whalers’ Church from 1844, which had replaced earlier churches of 1816 and 1766. The church was designed by Minard LaFever in the Egyptian Revival style (a new one on me). Its monumental original steeple, having toppled during a hurricane in 1938, may someday be rebuilt and reinstalled. All 185 feet of it… (Historical photo courtesy of the Old Whalers’ Church.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06807.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...ersChurch.jpeg

Right next door, naturally, was the Old Burying Ground. Cemeteries are normally quiet places, uninterrupted by strife or cacophony. Early in the American Revolution, however, British forces occupied New York City and Long Island. They chose the highest point in Sag Harbor—the Old Burying Ground—to build an earthen fort, cutting down the trees and digging earthworks across the cemetery, much to the dismay of the town’s residents. A small force of British soldiers and Loyalists held the fort and the harbor below. Gardiner’s Bay was used as a port for the British ships guarding the eastern end of Long Island Sound.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06810.jpeg

In May 1777, the British sent 12 small ships with an armed schooner escort to Sag Harbor, for the purpose of plundering supplies. Patriot forces in New Haven, CT, learned of this raid and organized a response, led by Colonel Return Jonathan Meigs. On May 24, Meigs and about 170 soldiers rowed across Long Island Sound in whaleboats. They portaged the boats across the North Fork and relaunched them into Peconic Bay. Reaching Sag Harbor, they simultaneously attacked the Loyalist forces in the harbor and at the fort on the Old Burying Ground. Despite being fired on by the 12-gun British schooner, the Patriot force killed 6 of the occupiers and captured another 90, with no casualties to themselves. The Patriots burned all of the British boats including, by some accounts, the armed schooner. It was a rare victory at a time when the Revolution was faltering. (Images of Col. Meigs and the Patriot forces courtesy of the Cutchogue-New Suffolk Historical Council.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...MeigsRaid.jpeg

Famous American writers Herman Melville, James Fenimore Cooper, and John Steinbeck are all known to have spent time in Sag Harbor. But only one of them, Mr. Steinbeck, lived here for an extended period (from 1955 until his death in 1968). Steinbeck won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1940 for The Grapes of Wrath and the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1962 (in significant part due to The Winter of Our Discontent).

John Steinbeck lived and worked in California for the first 39 years of his life. He and his third wife, Elaine, moved to Sag Harbor in 1955, finding it to be a charming and restful waterside village that reminded him of Monterey when he was growing up. His home was fairly modest, and it was not easy to track down. But here it is, virtually unchanged from when he and Elaine lived here. John Steinbeck wrote his last 3 books in the tiny octagonal studio shown below, which he designed himself (photo courtesy of patch.com).

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06798.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...eckStudio.jpeg

After retrieving the SL550, which was waiting patiently in the shade, it was time to take a few ferry rides.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06831.jpeg
Late to the Races, Part III

When Peter Pan First Flew in America

The first ferry was from Sag Harbor to Shelter Island. It took all of 5 minutes to cross the one-third mile—just enough time to hop out of the SL and grab a couple of photos. Ferries have provided access to Shelter Island since at least 1846; there are no bridges.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06852.jpeg

The ferry landing on Shelter Island looked pretty old, but these days it receives dozens of SUVs, commercial vehicles, and the occasional SL550, rather than crowds of eager vacationers. (Historical postcard courtesy of the Shelter Island Historical Society.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06855.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...yLandingS.jpeg

Sometime before 1888, Captain Thomas M. Turner started Westmoreland Farm along the western shore of Shelter Island. In addition to a farmhouse and barns, he added a unique clock tower. Capt. Turner had many friends, including actress Maude Adams, Broadway producer Charles Frohman, and a Scottish author named James M. Barrie. Barrie became most famous for writing the play Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up. He had visited Shelter Island, and it is believed that the island helped form his vision for Never Never Land—Peter Pan’s remote island with forests, lagoons, mermaids, Indians, and (of course) Captain Hook. Charles Frohman first produced the play in London in 1904, and it became an instant sensation. Soon there was talk of showing it on Broadway. (Photos of Charles Frohman, Maude Adams, and J.M. Barrie courtesy of the New York Public Library and Wikipedia.)

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...amsBarrie.jpeg

Maude Adams had previously starred in Barrie’s play The Little Minister,” and he thought she would be perfect as Peter Pan in America. Once again, Charles Frohman produced, and plans were laid for a short opening at the National Theatre in Washington, DC, followed by Broadway. Capt. Turner, an enthusiastic patron of the arts, proposed that a full dress rehearsal be performed outdoors, at Westmoreland Farm. Everyone agreed, and soon the sets, props, and actors arrived at Shelter Island. A wire was hung from the top of the clock tower to a nearby barn so that Peter Pan, Wendy, and the Lost Boys could fly. Shelter Island residents came out for the show, along with hundreds of their friends. By all accounts, the dress rehearsal was a great hit—and it marked the first American production of this classic play.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...rPanAdams.jpeg

Today, much of Westmoreland Farm is hidden behind trees and tall hedges, invisible unless you resort to Flagrant Trespassing. However, I managed to spot the barn and clock tower across a large field. Or so I thought… Oddly, there were two towers, both of which looked quite old.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06864.jpeg

Turns out that I had seen the right farm but the wrong tower. This Facebook photo shows Westmoreland Farm before all those annoying trees got in the way of everything. In the foreground is the clock tower and cow barn. Way in the distance is another barn with two connected silos—what I had taken to be the tower of Peter Pan fame. As we say in showbiz, “Rats!”

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...landFarmS.jpeg

The clock tower is still out there, as shown in this recent photo from Dering Harbor Real Estate and a satellite view from Bing Maps. But good luck trying to get a view of it.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...nerTower.jpeg+

At least I got a nice photo of the SL550, showcased by some tall ornamental grasses.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06870.jpeg

And a look at West Neck Bay.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06882.jpeg

Farther north, I found the Union Church. It was built in 1875 as part of the Shelter Island Heights Grove and Camp Meeting Association.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06903.jpeg

My second ferry ride of the afternoon was from the north end of Shelter Island to Greenport on the North Fork of Long Island. Getting onto the ferry was rather a tight fit—every one of the SL’s park-distance sensors was beeping anxiously as I drove on, with just inches to spare. No getting out and walking around this time.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06906.jpeg

Here’s the southbound ferry, making its trip. Once again, “the more things change, the more they stay the same.” Well, sort of…

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06909.jpeg
http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...landFerry.jpeg

From Greenport, it would be an easy, 9-mile trip to Orient Point, where I would pick up the third and final ferry, to New London, CT. Along the way, of course, I had to stop for a photo of Brecknock Hall. This magnificent home was built by Scottish stonemasons and Italian carpenters for David Gelston Floyd, a shipping magnate and grandson of a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Construction took place during 1851-1857, with no expense spared. There were indoor bathrooms and gas lights from day one.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06921.jpeg

Brecknock Hall is now available for weddings and other functions. In this photo, the bride and groom are both Lieutenants in the U.S. Navy and won an all-expenses-paid wedding in the tenth annual Veterans Day Wedding Giveback. As best I can tell, that’s a late-1920s La Salle roadster—and its use was included in the Wedding Giveback! (Photo courtesy of The Suffolk Times.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...dding2022.jpeg

A Haunted Lighthouse?

At the Orient Point landing, I learned two pieces of good news: First, I had just made the 4:00 pm ferry. In fact, I was the last car on. Second, and more importantly, the ferry had a snack bar. Although my breakfast back at the inn was substantial, it had worn off hours ago. A foot-long hot dog, piece of cake, and a Coke Zero, and I was good as new.

Once underway, the ferry passed by Plum Island, which has a substantial history of its own. Shown here is the island’s lighthouse, which was built in 1869. The current lighthouse was imperiled by erosion, leading to a 15,000-ton stone breakwater.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06924.jpeg

Plum Island saw action early in the American Revolution, when British forces arrived here to plunder the local farms. General David Wooster sailed to the island with 120 Patriot soldiers, leading to “many shots fired but no casualties,” as the Henry L. Ferguson Museum describes it. General Wooster is little known in the annals of the Revolution—but the city of Wooster, Ohio, and the College of Wooster (my alma mater) are named for him.

The Plum Island Animal Disease Center sits about one-half mile past the lighthouse. It was established in 1954 to perform research on hoof-and-mouth disease in cattle. Simultaneously, a secret program was launched to study “HMD” as a possible biological warfare agent for use against cattle. This program ended in 1969 but was never revealed until 1993, when an investigative journalist discovered the truth. The Center continues to be controversial due to its proximity to New York City and two high-profile accidents involving release of the HMD virus.

I held my breath on the ferry until we were well past the Animal Disease Center…

Over the years, I’ve run across many old houses and other buildings that are said to be haunted. As we approached the New London Ledge Lighthouse, a couple I was talking with noted that it was one of the Long Island Sound’s most-haunted lighthouses. (Check out Five Haunted Lighthouses in Connecticut for a description of several of them. Who knew?) The unusually elegant Ledge Lighthouse was built in 1909, in the French Second-Empire style. Its lower 3 stories, plus a basement, provided plenty of room for the keeper and his family, supplies, and 11 tons of coal to power the facility. The Hurricane of 1938 shook the building considerably, with waves lashing its second floor, but no significant damage was done. The Coast Guard continued to have a 3-person crew at the lighthouse until 1987, making this the last such manned lighthouse in New England.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...DSC06942g.jpeg

Ah, but we were talking about ghosts… Even an elegant lighthouse is a lonely place for the keeper and his family. Keeper John Randolph no doubt felt this way in the 1930s, but apparently it was much worse for his long-suffering wife. One day, while John was ashore for supplies, his wife ran off with the captain of the Block Island Ferry. Weeks later, distraught that his wife had not returned, John jumped to his death from the top story of the lighthouse. A long series of mysterious incidents has ensued, right up to the present. The Coast Guard crews encountered such frequent manifestations that they named the ghost “Ernie,” reporting that he would wash the windows and clean the floors when no one was looking, open or close doors randomly, rearrange items in the kitchen, and pound on their doors at night. Tour groups often report hearing sudden loud noises in the lighthouse, and their guides note that furniture is often moved about as well. Even well-secured boats have ended up adrift.

I report, you decide. But the New London Ledge Lighthouse does sound like an interesting facility to visit!

The Thames River in New London was a busy place. Nonetheless, this handsome ketch found enough space for a pleasant sail. New London is right next door to Groton, CT, which is the submarine capital of the U.S. General Dynamics’ Electric Boat Company is headquartered here—and it’s an outgrowth of John P. Holland’s Torpedo Boat Company from the dawn of the Twentieth Century. Small world indeed.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06954.jpeg

Here we are, docked and ready to roll off the ferry. From there, I would drive the remaining 126 miles to Falmouth, Cape Cod, where I would rejoin my wife Nancy, together with friends and relatives.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_.../DSC06963.jpeg

It was a great tour through Long Island, despite the apoplectic hordes of traffic. Once again, the SL550 proved to be the perfect touring vehicle: a comfortable ride even on crummy roads, plenty of power for making time when possible, superb brakes for avoiding crazed New York banzai drivers, and superb handling for those times that you find an interesting series of curves. And you won’t even look out of place among all the Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches, AMGs, BMWs, Audis, and Bentleys!

Rick F.

http://rsftripreporter.net/Mercedes_...landRoute.jpeg
Wow, thanks so much for sharing, quite a story and sounds like you had a lot of fun. Gorgeous R231. You also made the usual boring history sound exciting.
Old 08-08-2024, 03:08 PM

2020 SL550
Originally Posted by jrupp
Well, that was time well spent, thanks for posting!
jrupp,

Thanks, and I'm glad you made it through! It was not one of my shorter trip reports, but it sure was fun to make the trip and see all those places.

And it's always fun to drive the SL550. Even when you're stuck in traffic, you can listen to music, get a seat massage, and start planning your next adventure on the navigation system!

Rick
Old 08-08-2024, 03:35 PM

2020 SL550
Originally Posted by eddieo45
Small quibble: I believe that when you took the Verrazano Narrows Bridge out of Staten Island you crossed over into Brooklyn, then proceeded through Queens on your way to Long Island. I'm not a New Yorker but I ran the NYC Marathon in 2009 and the course has stayed with me.
Eddie,

As neither a New Yorker nor a marathoner, I hesitate to delve into this question further! But that's never stopped me before…

Technically, Long Island is, in fact, an island, and it begins in New York Harbor on the east side of the East River. So, I did cross the bridge onto Long Island. The island is made up of Kings, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties.

However, the Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens are officially part of New York City, and in practice almost everyone in the area doesn't consider them part of Long Island. When they talk about Long Island, they're referring to everything in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. (For a good discussion of all this, see Is Brooklyn on Long Island?.)

So it turns out that we're both right, in one way or another!

Rick

PS: Long live quibbles—they're always informative.
Old 08-08-2024, 03:42 PM

2020 SL550
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Wow, thanks so much for sharing, quite a story and sounds like you had a lot of fun. Gorgeous R231. You also made the usual boring history sound exciting.
W205C43PFL,

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you enjoyed the report!

A writer for RoadRunner magazine has a bumper sticker that says, "I Brake for History," and I feel the same way. Ironically, in high school and college, I didn't care two cents about history. But now that I'm old enough to be part of a lot of history, I can't get enough of it. Fortunately, the SL550 can get you from one historical place to another much faster than a horse and buggy.

Rick
Old 08-08-2024, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
W205C43PFL,

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you enjoyed the report!

A writer for RoadRunner magazine has a bumper sticker that says, "I Brake for History," and I feel the same way. Ironically, in high school and college, I didn't care two cents about history. But now that I'm old enough to be part of a lot of history, I can't get enough of it. Fortunately, the SL550 can get you from one historical place to another much faster than a horse and buggy.

Rick
Enjoy in good health
Old 08-09-2024, 09:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 Sl550, 2012 CTS-V coupe, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 2500
I have been privileged to read numerous of your engaging posts. EXTREMELY well done. Always interesting and informative. Thank you for the time you put into these travelogues. Of course I also applaud your exceptional good taste in car color (my 2015 is Selenite grey over red&#129392.
please keep up the good work!!
Old 08-10-2024, 03:16 PM

2020 SL550
Originally Posted by DrMongo
I have been privileged to read numerous of your engaging posts. EXTREMELY well done. Always interesting and informative. Thank you for the time you put into these travelogues. Of course I also applaud your exceptional good taste in car color (my 2015 is Selenite grey over red&#129392.
please keep up the good work!!
Dr. Mongo,

Aw shucks… Seriously, many thanks for your kind comments—I'll certainly keep these reports coming!

FYI, you can find all 162 of these trip reports on my website, http://rsftripreporter.net. The vehicles involved are a BMW F650CS motorcycle, BMW R1200GS motorcycle, BMW Z4 3.0i roadster, BMW 335i convertible, Aston Martin Vantage V8, and (of course) my Mercedes-Benz SL550.

Rick
Old 08-10-2024, 05:50 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Rick, you continue to amaze, educate and stimulate the imagination! Well played once again, and I have said since the Z4 days, you should really do a coffee table book. Perhaps you are waiting on the Ferrari California? Great stuff sir, enjoy the miles and the smiles!
Old 08-11-2024, 03:34 PM

2020 SL550
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4
Rick, you continue to amaze, educate and stimulate the imagination! Well played once again, and I have said since the Z4 days, you should really do a coffee table book. Perhaps you are waiting on the Ferrari California? Great stuff sir, enjoy the miles and the smiles!
TennesseeZ4,

Greetings! And thanks for your really nice comments. I still like the coffee table book idea, but it's more fun to plan, take, and write-up new trips. I'll give the book a try one of these days…

As for a Ferrari California, how did you know that I'd identified this particular model as being an affordable Ferrari? I've driven a lot of Ferraris over the years, but I've never owned one. A 12-cylinder 550 or 575 with a manual transmission would be ideal, but the market has now priced them out of reach. But a California has the convertible hardtop going for it. You never know!

Thanks again,

Rick
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (08-11-2024)