SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: 2022 AMG SL All-New Lightweight Bodyshell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 06:19 AM

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
2022 AMG SL All-New Lightweight Bodyshell

Interesting article on the 2022 SL bodyshell.

motor1.com/news/508215/2022-mercedes-sl-bodyshell-reveal/

The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 AM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
As a city/toy car/weekender car, I would have thought surely, the new SL would have been offered in electric version. Something easily charged at home.
The following users liked this post:
mmmamg (11-11-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,994 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by docsout
As a city/toy car/weekender car, I would have thought surely, the new SL would have been offered in electric version. Something easily charged at home.
I can’t believe it won’t be.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I’m sure this new SL will be a magnificent car, even though they are deleting the very thing that I have always felt has made our cars unique and infinitely great, the retractable hardtop. I’m just wondering what glitches there will be this time around. Will it come with a properly designed audio system, or one that sounds fairly terrible like all of ours? I’m sure most of us would think that that was “just a fluke” and that “they’ll never make that mistake again.” Guess what? The brand new GLE models have a similar issue. Can you even imagine that? I wonder if they will fix the problem within one model year or if they will allow it to fester throughout the multi-year model run as they did with the R231 SL’s?

I ordered a new 2020 S560. It has 3800 miles on it. The transmission downshifts harshly. MB directed the dealer to replace the transmission and torque converter. They did. Now the car drives WORSE than before. How can this be? Now, MBUSA has said they will “Buy Back” this almost brand new, $131,000.00 car, because they CANNOT fix it. What’s the problem? Why can they not find the gremlins lurking inside this car, a model that has been built in the many thousands and is thought to be the MB “FLAGSHIP” model? Has MB forgotten how to build smooth shifting transmissions? WHY can they not fix my car???

Instead of spending all of their time trying to figure out how to make yet another class of vehicle into yet another SUV “coupe,” or come up with yet another shade of a gray color, or yet larger wheels with more shallow sidewall tires, WHY don’t they spend a bit more time trying to make sure everything is engineered and designed properly in the first place? Really, is that too much to ask? Apparently so.

Last edited by Streamliner; 05-19-2021 at 03:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
MBNUT1 (05-21-2021), places (05-22-2021), TennesseeZ4 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300/SL550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’m sure this new SL will be a magnificent car, even though they are deleting the very thing that I have always felt has made our cars unique and infinitely great, the retractable hardtop.

The Retractable hardtop is my absolute favorite feature on this car now it will be just another over priced ragtop geesh !
Old 05-19-2021, 08:21 PM

Received 422 Likes on 294 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
That chassis is definitely an engineering step up from the r231. Beautiful piece of engineering! Looks like more extensive die casting and looks pretty stiff in just the right places along with shaving weight/material.
Unfortunately though, I think Mercedes has lost focus on what an SL really is supposed to be or maybe “Grand Touring” is being redefined.
Looks like the R231 is the last SL by my definition.

As for various mechanical woes many are experiencing, I believe incompetence at the service level is a major problem. These cars require a high level of technical aptitude many techs just may not have the experience/training, or honestly, just aren’t capable of. One must posses a hybrid of skills. computing, electrical that join everything together, along with an expertise in the particular sub system being serviced. Not to mention the idiosyncrasies of a particular chassis series. Bolting **** on is easy. The experience shows when one needs to diagnose a problem outside the flowchart.

Of course there are also the design/production/material mistakes which add to the issues.

But when I read that the replacement transmission is worse than the original, and it’s new? Sounds like a 90% chance of an installer issue. I can’t tell you all the horror stories based around tech incompetence, whether diagnostic or faulty installations, I’ve dealt with over the years. It’s only getting worse, which tells me the technology is advancing faster than many techs can keep up with it.

Last edited by crconsulting; 05-19-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 306 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I’m sure this new SL will be a magnificent car, even though they are deleting the very thing that I have always felt has made our cars unique and infinitely great, the retractable hardtop. I’m just wondering what glitches there will be this time around. Will it come with a properly designed audio system, or one that sounds fairly terrible like all of ours? I’m sure most of us would think that that was “just a fluke” and that “they’ll never make that mistake again.” Guess what? The brand new GLE models have a similar issue. Can you even imagine that? I wonder if they will fix the problem within one model year or if they will allow it to fester throughout the multi-year model run as they did with the R231 SL’s?

I ordered a new 2020 S560. It has 3800 miles on it. The transmission downshifts harshly. MB directed the dealer to replace the transmission and torque converter. They did. Now the car drives WORSE than before. How can this be? Now, MBUSA has said they will “Buy Back” this almost brand new, $131,000.00 car, because they CANNOT fix it. What’s the problem? Why can they not find the gremlins lurking inside this car, a model that has been built in the many thousands and is thought to be the MB “FLAGSHIP” model? Has MB forgotten how to build smooth shifting transmissions? WHY can they not fix my car???

Instead of spending all of their time trying to figure out how to make yet another class of vehicle into yet another SUV “coupe,” or come up with yet another shade of a gray color, or yet larger wheels with more shallow sidewall tires, WHY don’t they spend a bit more time trying to make sure everything is engineered and designed properly in the first place? Really, is that too much to ask? Apparently so.

Your post confirms my decision to never buy another new vehicle and for sure not the first year of a new model. I'm finding a slightly used vehicle is just fine but it does take time finding the "right" one. That is what I did when I bought our SL and our first Mercedes.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rmorin49
Your post confirms my decision to never buy another new vehicle and for sure not the first year of a new model. I'm finding a slightly used vehicle is just fine but it does take time finding the "right" one. That is what I did when I bought our SL and our first Mercedes.
That’s exactly why I ordered a 2020 S560. It was one of the last ones built. My 2018 was coming off lease and I did not want a first year (2021) of the new S580.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,186 Likes on 1,987 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by crconsulting
That chassis is definitely an engineering step up from the r231. Beautiful piece of engineering! Looks like more extensive die casting and looks pretty stiff in just the right places along with shaving weight/material.
Unfortunately though, I think Mercedes has lost focus on what an SL really is supposed to be or maybe “Grand Touring” is being redefined.
Looks like the R231 is the last SL by my definition.
Do keep in mind that the history of the SL is the exact opposite; the SL was the definition of the sports car, not at all a grand tourer. It eventually evolved into that but now that the market has shrunken with all the SUV craze, a more "pure" SL is coming back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
crconsulting (05-22-2021), Keon (05-23-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,447 Likes on 956 Posts
No more MB:(
I'm intrigued with the new upcoming model. Although losing the hardtop is a negative I am hoping for a more dynamic experience since AMG will have more influence in this model. Reluctantly, I can get over the ragtop. The killer for me is the fact that they are putting that hideous screen in a roadster..ugh. Should be about driving and experience not flashy dashboard tech. If they want it more "pure" keep it simple and about the car and drive.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Do keep in mind that the history of the SL is the exact opposite; the SL was the definition of the sports car, not at all a grand tourer. It eventually evolved into that but now that the market has shrunken with all the SUV craze, a more "pure" SL is coming back.
Sorry Wolf, I disagree. The vast majority of SL history is not the exact opposite.

There have been 7 SL chassis designations and ONLY the very first 300SL’s, the W198’s, produced between 1955 and 1962, were considered real “sports cars.” EVERY SL that came afterwards, was a luxury grand touring car, even the lowly W121 190SL’s, which should have been designated the first SLK’s, IMO. The W113, R107, R129, R230 and our beloved R231’s were all luxury GT cars.

The original 300SL’s were heavily raced and highly successful in the late 50’s and into the 60’s. NONE of the SL’s that followed ever saw any serious racing, as they were not designed for that purpose, they were designed as luxury cruisers and fit that designation perfectly.

Virtually NOBODY who owns or aspires to own an SL today thinks of the performance of those original 300SL’s—which, by the way, were not comfortable cars to drive, even by standards back then. They think of solid, heavy construction, plush leather interiors, every creature comfort available today and, of course, for the past EIGHTEEN years, a retractable hardtop.

IMO, MB is giving us a new SL that will be faster, quicker and handle better than the last few SL models. The vast majority of SL customers need those attributes like they need a hole in the head. What they need, is perhaps a bit more luxury, a smoother driving experience, an excellent audio system and a retractable hardtop.

The following 5 users liked this post by Streamliner:
allfortheunion (05-22-2021), baltika (11-14-2021), crconsulting (05-22-2021), places (05-22-2021), rmorin49 (11-13-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by places
I'm intrigued with the new upcoming model. Although losing the hardtop is a negative I am hoping for a more dynamic experience since AMG will have more influence in this model. Reluctantly, I can get over the ragtop. The killer for me is the fact that they are putting that hideous screen in a roadster..ugh. Should be about driving and experience not flashy dashboard tech. If they want it more "pure" keep it simple and about the car and drive.
HOW cool would it be, if the new SL went retro with the interior, going back to knobs, physical buttons and switches? I’d love that, but it is SO much cheaper to “glue” an iPad to the dash.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HOW cool would it be, if the new SL went retro with the interior, going back to knobs, physical buttons and switches? I’d love that, but it is SO much cheaper to “glue” an iPad to the dash.
YES. They could still have all the latest tech and still integrate into a timeless interior, built-in screen with knobs and buttons. Unfortunately now lacking "emotional" component, purely cerebral with visual stimuli via disco ball dash.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300/SL550
Agree! When my car was in for service we got a loaner with that ipad dash not my cup of tea but my brother got a brand new E450 Cab and loves that new dash
Old 05-22-2021, 06:29 PM

Do keep in mind that the history of the SL is the exact opposite; the SL was the definition of the sports car, not at all a grand tourer.
ONLY the very first 300SL’s, were considered real “sports cars.” The original 300SL’s were heavily raced and highly successful in the late 50’s
Absolutely, the 300SL was a beast in its day. Fast, reliable and gorgeous. An absolute icon in design and arguably the quintessential Mercedes Benz. Today’s pricing on these cars shows what a classic they truly are. No question a “Sports Car” more than Grand Tourer.. But after the 1955 Le Mans incident, the repercussions appear to have shifted the fabric of Mercedes Benz culture and design direction for more than 30 years. The designers appear to have shifted from hotroding/racing to a more conservative approach back to their transportation roots.

One just need take a stroll thru BOTH museums in Stuttgart to recognize who builds the transportation for the world and who builds “Sports Cars”. That’s not a knock on Mercedes, and I’m not a Porsche fanboy. But out of that, came the refinement to what the SL has morphed into currently. Which focuses on transportation in comfort, luxury, and safety at a highly efficient rate of speed.

EVERY SL that came afterwards, was a luxury grand touring car, even the lowly W121 190SL’s, which should have been designated the first SLK’s, IMO. The W113, R107, R129, R230 and our beloved R231’s were all luxury GT cars.
Exactly, they systematically refined the design ( it’s the German way 😀 ) to produce one of the worlds great touring cars, there is no real competition to the R231 in it’s category today.

but now that the market has shrunken with all the SUV craze, a more "pure" SL is coming back.
It will be interesting to see what weight the r232 will come in at. The frame is only 30lbs heavier than the r231’s but stiffer. No roof, but extra seating. Drivetrain weight?
As others have mentioned the lack of a retractable hard top is a disappointment for many, myself included. I still struggle to see why one would buy this over an AMG GT (or gasp... Porsche.) if one wants a sports car. And then there’s the whole 2+2 thing. Is MBZ trying to compete with BMW in this space? And you’re absolutely correct in saying the market has shrunken with all the SUV craze. Not to mention the internal cannibalization of that market from the AMG and S class soft top offerings.

So many questions..
I’m not saying they’re not going to pull it off, but I’m not sure it will be the right fit for the old school either 😀

Last edited by crconsulting; 05-23-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:44 PM

This has probably been posted here somewhere, but it’s a good comparison of various chassis designs including r231 and SLS.
Compare to this newest iteration.
https://www.european-aluminium.eu/me...structures.pdf

Last edited by crconsulting; 05-22-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 306 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
The new SL has a pretty small customer base IMHO. The BMW 8 series did not sell well and I believe it has been axed. The 911s have what is called a back seat but it's really almost useless other than for small children. I suspect the SL back seat may be a bit better but only for short trips with small passengers. I wish Daimler well but would not bet on the new SL being a success.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
The huge screens look like cost cutting to me and I cannot accept the extremely poor ergonomics of having to use them for nearly everything as I like to keep my eyes on the road while relying on muscle memory. They remind me off the gimmicky LED matrix screens of 1990s GM cars where they did it just because they could.

All ​​​​high end car audio sound absolutely terrible with poor quality signal like Sirius etc. Everyone I know accross all lux brands is aghast - until they are blown away with a HiFi stream.

​​​​​​SL is just a legacy mass market halo car within reach of a good chunk of MB buyers. Most other USA buyers who can afford one will mostly go for S, or other more expensive brands. SL is simply too inexpensive for 95% of the luxury market.

​​​​​​They need to get the 232 close to $300K optioned out for it to be prestigious. A huge led screen in the car will not do it haha.

Originally Posted by places
Old 05-23-2021, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't expect such a response

A further explanation:
The SL was conceived as a sports car but has morphed into a more luxurious and comfortable top down cruiser. Mercedes had revived the original SL concept with the SLS, designed and build entirely by AMG. This included the iconic gullwing doors. A car that people love (resale values reflect that) but that is difficult to live with (try to ask your wife to get in/out out of one of these). That car was superseded by the AMG GT models, arguably a much better car than the SLS as the best model, the SLS Black Series, became the starting point of the new cars design.

That car has been quite successful and is incredibly fun to drive the car and is enjoyed as-is, bare bone and somewhat brutal but as a roadster did not find quite the right clientele. For the reasons stated above, any SL driver getting into the roadster is typically shocked by what they experience; extremely tight interior, tight bucket seats, virtually zero visibility, user interface technology years behind even the SL. It is (very) loud, features little insulation top-up, can feel claustrophobic to some and some have issues dealing with the very long hood.
In short, it is everything the SL is not. A glorious sports car
Many of you guys are enjoying the SL450 over the SL550 for balance; I can tell you that the SL450 feels utterly clumsy, unbalanced and front heavy compared to the GT models. The engine sits behind the from axle and the Dual Clutch transmission in the rear (transaxle). Coupled with accurate steering, rear wheel steering, the car is incredibly nimble.
So the AMG GT roadster is a bit of an oddball. A typical Mercedes driver will shun it for the reasons explained and AMG enthusiasts will not get it due the hassle to get roadsters onto the track (this varies by events).

So my assumption is the following. The convertible group is a different audience and want more luxury than the hardcore AMG crowd. For that reason, the GT coupes live on while the roadster has been consolidated with the SL (this of course was done as part of a portfolio clean-up axing the majority of convertibles/cabs) but he SL survived. It will become a sport car again but more plush and luxurious inside, meaning the latest interior tech MB has to offer from the screens (sorry) to the ambient lighting, augmented reality and all the latest safety features.

Do current SL drivers want that car? Some will love it, others will get it because it is different than prior SL's and many prior SL drivers will dislike some or all of it and not get it. I assume that Mercedes doesn't care about that and will focus on its new target audience. Given the success of the AMG group even during the pandemic I believe they will sell just fine, even with a higher starting price-point and more expensive lease rates (AMG lease rates are higher MF and often lower residuals)
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
baltika (11-14-2021), crconsulting (05-26-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rmorin49
The new SL has a pretty small customer base IMHO. The BMW 8 series did not sell well and I believe it has been axed. The 911s have what is called a back seat but it's really almost useless other than for small children. I suspect the SL back seat may be a bit better but only for short trips with small passengers. I wish Daimler well but would not bet on the new SL being a success.
All of these really have unusable rear seats (so did the SL previously) I don't know even why they bother and hope that the SL will not even have a look-alike attempt. Seeing the body there is really no room anyway. The BMW 8 Series is plugging along actually and didn't get axed. BMW just had a terrible intro and roll-out (channel stuffing). Now they seem to have re-calibrated with streamlined options/pricing and less inventory.

But the point is true; it is a very small target audience. This typically means prices go up (exclusivity) instead of down.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Wrong thread.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 11-10-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 sl550
What would you think the starter price will be for a sSL55 AMG
Old 11-14-2021, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by robsl550
My guess is 120's.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 SL63
Originally Posted by robsl550
150 at the very minimum
Old 11-15-2021, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by baltika;[url=tel:8454990
8454990[/url]]150 at the very minimum
Too high. Like others just said, 120 to maybe 125 is probably more like it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: 2022 AMG SL All-New Lightweight Bodyshell