SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Ongoing Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,528 Likes on 2,014 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Surge
That's certainly not from a real/reputable source.

I've had 5 Mercedes in 10 years and all have been very close to perfect. Much better than my new (at the time) 2012 Lexus, for that matter.
Current 2019 G550 and AMG GTC have had one 1 minor issue each in 4.5 years of ownership.
The vast majority of problems are with new models, released for MY21 & later. We have two 2019’s & a 2020 and they are wonderful cars. The many new MB’s we had prior to these were wonderful as well. The 2022 S580 I had, which MBUSA repurchased, was a frigging nightmare. I have a new BMW I7 on order. MB needs to get their house in order and it doesn’t seem that they are in any hurry to do so, which is very sad. In the meantime, long time, very loyal customers, such as myself, are looking elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Mike P (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:21 AM

Received 371 Likes on 251 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I really don't know how legit CR is but I'm pretty sure if they had enough data for Jaguar and Land Rover those brands would be occupying the bottom-most spots.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 286 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
That's interesting, and not good news at all...

What were the main issues with your 2022 S580?

I don't think you'll have better luck with BMW. I recently rented 4 new BMWs: two X5s and one X3, and one X1. All had issues - mainly electrical glitches, although the X1 door wouldn't close and the rear seat fold down warning stayed on. One X5 kept issuing the speed warning chime, even though it was definitely off.
I found the UI/UX to be a complete mess.
I hope the i7 is better.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Mike P
It's pretty sad that after 2 years, MB hasn't a clue. My hope of buying a SL63Se is rapidly fading. I spoke to two MB employees about 3 weeks ago. I inquired if solutions were at hand......"we're working on the fixes"
Meanwhile the R232 buyers are unpaid beta testers. Others on this forum accuse buyers of "bashing" which hurts resale...........sure! Giving you a trickle charger to fix inherent flaws is insulting.

There's a reason why MB is 2nd from the bottom in reliability ratings.
If you have not already done so, call MBUSA and open a case. Tell them that if they can’t fix your car, RIGHT NOW and for good, that you want them to repurchase the car. So many folks who bought or leased the R232’s early on, paid SO much for them and have really suffered substantial depreciation. If you really like the car, get them to buy this one back and then get a new one. Just suffering through this mess for over two years, with no permanent fix in sight is not the way to go, in my humble opinion. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:28 AM
wem

Received 184 Likes on 104 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
Originally Posted by pkochanski
this is what they did to try and diagnose..attachment
My SL was at the dealership 3 separate times for the low battery issue. In addition to the trickle charger, the dealer had to pull log files that were requested by MBUSA. MBUSA then instructed the dealer to perform a slew of software updates (much more extensive than on your repair order). After the first two visits, the issue resurfaced. After the 3rd visit the updates seem to be working. In addition to the software updates, during the third visit the dealer relocated the negative connection for the trickle charger from the negative post on the battery to a ground on the body of the car. As others have mentioned on the forum, the additional recommendations from MB are to lock the car when not in use and to keep the key fob at least 30 feet away.

My car is currently back at the dealer to replace the fingerprint scanner module. It is the second time it has failed. The part arrived yesterday. I should have the car back in the next day or so. I will continue to monitor the battery issue to see if it resurfaces.

The problems are annoying, but each time I get back in the car with the engine barking, and take it through some twisties with the stereo playing, it stills puts a big smile on my face.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 945 Likes on 723 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by pkochanski
this is what they did to try and diagnose..attachment
Seems that they've done as much as they can to diagnose the problem. Hopefully the software updates will remedy the issue. If the battery has been run flat several times, it could be in jeopardy, and problem could persist. If problem continues, you could attach a battery monitor and see how it behaves while driving. Knowing whether the battery is experiencing insufficient charging or unusual discharging will go a long way toward identifying the cause.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's interesting, and not good news at all...

What were the main issues with your 2022 S580?

I don't think you'll have better luck with BMW. I recently rented 4 new BMWs: two X5s and one X3, and one X1. All had issues - mainly electrical glitches, although the X1 door wouldn't close and the rear seat fold down warning stayed on. One X5 kept issuing the speed warning chime, even though it was definitely off.
I found the UI/UX to be a complete mess.
I hope the i7 is better.
The issues with my S580 are darn near “legendary” over on the W223 forum. Many very irritating things such as door handles not popping out, MBUX constantly losing my settings, the dreaded “low battery” warnings, etc., not to mention the absolutely horrid performance of the $6,500.00 EABC suspension option.

The car was a loaded “Executive Line” model and was a mess from day one. I took it back & forth to the dealer. I had like 22 days “out of service,” when one day, in heavy traffic, the car just went 100% dead. The emergency flashers wouldn’t even work. It was towed to the dealer where it sat for another, full 30 days, before they deemed it “fixed” and it was returned to me. In California where I live, 30 days out of service makes it an automatic “Lemon” and MBUSA agreed to buy it back.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In Canada there is the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Program (CAMVAP). Part of the resolution process is a vehicle buyback. BMW is notably the only major carmaker that doesn’t participate!
Old 05-01-2024, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In Canada there is the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Program (CAMVAP). Part of the resolution process is a vehicle buyback. BMW is notably the only major carmaker that doesn’t participate!
That’s interesting. I’ve been bitten by the EV bug and want to go electric this time around. I so dislike the EQS sedan and much prefer how BMW made their new 7 basically the same car, either gas or electric. The car is so unbelievably smooth & quiet and charging for me is no problem. Here in CA, I’m sick of paying $6 a gallon. Anyway, there is a BMW dealer only 1/4 mile from my office. If the car is trouble, it’s an easy drop off.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The i7 certainly looks cool!

I rented an EQS last summer and I actually really liked it. Handled well, good power (even with the base motor) and looks futuristic. I had no issues with brake modulation...
Old 05-01-2024, 10:59 AM
wem

Received 184 Likes on 104 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
I traded in my Porsche Taycan for the SL. The Taycan was one of the best cars I have owned and I enjoyed the EV experience. I did several 1000 mile trips in the car from Georgia to Connecticut without any issues. My decision to trade in the Taycan was purely economic. It was still during the crazy car market and the MB dealer offered me $25k above the lease buyout price on my 3 year old Taycan. I will get back into an EV vehicle, but the offerings from MB in particular don't do it for me.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 SL63, 2020 Porsche Taycan
Per the comments about going electric above, we run the best of both worlds right now, a Taycan we've had for a few years and the SL63. The Taycan is the best car we've ever had. We love it for the daily commute and for road trips. The SL is a placeholder until something electric comes out that's a convertible, such as the next Porsche Boxter or the Maserati Folgore GranCabrio.

Per the original thread title, I escaped most of the battery shenanigans until recently on my '22 SL63. Got the lovely "Stop vehicle to charge the 12v battery do not switch off vehicle" message 3 days ago. 2 days in the shop and they say it's fixed, battery passes tests, etc. 20 minutes into the drive home and the message pops up again, so back it goes today.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG 2007
Starter battery

I wanted to give a f/u on my 22 SL 55. MB has agreed to the buyback and I decided to investigate purchasing a new 23 SL 55 that was built in May 23. In the service record where they installed all the software updates (which included installing a trickle charger), the starter battery faulted. They did replace it but the fault did not clear. Because of this issue and my history, I decided to cancel the order. I really wanted to give a newer model a try since I do own a second set of winter wheels/tires that was not part of the settlement. So it does appear that the early 23 lineup still is having this issue. Of note, after I had the software update regarding the cooling fan and since I put the key in a Faraday bag, I have had NO issues with the starter battery! I am at a loss as to where to look next since I love everything about this car EXCEPT the starter issue. Thanks
Old 05-03-2024, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stemer
I wanted to give a f/u on my 22 SL 55. MB has agreed to the buyback and I decided to investigate purchasing a new 23 SL 55 that was built in May 23. In the service record where they installed all the software updates (which included installing a trickle charger), the starter battery faulted. They did replace it but the fault did not clear. Because of this issue and my history, I decided to cancel the order. I really wanted to give a newer model a try since I do own a second set of winter wheels/tires that was not part of the settlement. So it does appear that the early 23 lineup still is having this issue. Of note, after I had the software update regarding the cooling fan and since I put the key in a Faraday bag, I have had NO issues with the starter battery! I am at a loss as to where to look next since I love everything about this car EXCEPT the starter issue. Thanks
Allowing major issues to continue from one model year to the next is absolutely UNFORGIVABLE! We can all understand first year, new model problems, but when they are allowed to continue into the next model year, you have to take a step back and wonder just what’s going on over there. It’s a very sad situation—and on a “halo” vehicle like the SL.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Mike P (05-03-2024), places (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:11 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
SL65(R231), SL65(R230), 600SL, 560SL(86), 560SL(89),250SL(68),250SL(67), 190SL, 300SL(GW)
Streamliner nails it!!!! First year issues, especially with incredibly complex systems are somewhat expected. My "certainly not from a real/reputable source" was Consumer Reports ( mildly credible at best). Ancillary evidence: I did reference speaking with 2 MB employees with requires an elaboration.........they don't work for a dealership, they work for MBUSA. MBUSA is well aware of ALL the issues. A friend that owns a MB dealership claims he's never ever had an intro and subsequent problems ever like the R232. The dealerships are losers in this situation due to angry consumers. Goodwill takes years, a singular bad experience negates that goodwill quickly. The abysmal resale is another hint. Multifactorial analysis does indicate an overall trend......not good.

I've said it before.........fire the entire top echelon in marketing and engineering along with all the senior officials starting with the CEO.

FYI: I've been a huge SL fan for decades (the R107 and earlier were engineering masterpieces) but MB has lost it's way
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike P:
places (05-04-2024), Streamliner (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike P
Streamliner nails it!!!! First year issues, especially with incredibly complex systems are somewhat expected. My "certainly not from a real/reputable source" was Consumer Reports ( mildly credible at best). Ancillary evidence: I did reference speaking with 2 MB employees with requires an elaboration.........they don't work for a dealership, they work for MBUSA. MBUSA is well aware of ALL the issues. A friend that owns a MB dealership claims he's never ever had an intro and subsequent problems ever like the R232. The dealerships are losers in this situation due to angry consumers. Goodwill takes years, a singular bad experience negates that goodwill quickly. The abysmal resale is another hint. Multifactorial analysis does indicate an overall trend......not good.

I've said it before.........fire the entire top echelon in marketing and engineering along with all the senior officials starting with the CEO.

FYI: I've been a huge SL fan for decades (the R107 and earlier were engineering masterpieces) but MB has lost it's way
I’ve had 17 new, higher end MB’s, with my last 8 new cars being MB. I just ordered a new BMW I7.