SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Ongoing Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 08:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 Taycan GTS, 2022 AMG SL63 and 2024 Cayenne S
Ongoing Battery Issues

My SL63 has been at the dealer for a week due to continuing issues with the battery; They switched out the battery to see if it was a bad battery but had the same problem with the new one. As mentioned in previous threads, there seems to be a drain somewhere in the system on the battery even when the car is locked. They are investigating but unsure. The car only has 207 miles on it. Hopefully they have some news by the end of the week but what a disappointment.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,204 Likes on 1,997 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Sorry to hear!
Just curious if you have actually experienced a battery related failure, such as not being able to start the car, close the top, windows, or electronics? Or is it just flooding you with messages via the app, email or instrument cluster?

I get these annoying emails, texts regarding our battery from our GLE but it never failed at doing anything. Starts, runs and operates as expected. With our car it's simply an unneeded threshold that is met and then gets busy notifying.
If yours is notifications/messages only I assume they will find nothing and eventually have a software update that will resolve this.

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-01-2022 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
California John (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 04:38 PM

Received 183 Likes on 99 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
I got the same battery issue with a flood of messages, but never actually failed to start.

I had one weird incident - I left the key in the car and when I tried to open the doors and the handles would not come out and I could not open at the same time as battery issues indicated.

However, when I finally got hold of the spare key it opened up and then started without trouble.

There is no doubt that there is an electrical gremlin - but what exactly I am also no sure. I also took it to my dealer they tested the battery and did all sorts of tests, but they were all inconclusive.
California John (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 09:08 PM

Well, the dealer says my car can come home and they found no issues; guess we'll keep an eye out for continuing problems.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL63
Good Morning Crew! I had/have the same situation with mine. If the car is left open with a door ajar, or any lights in the car on, the 12v battery does signal that email and alert on the app. This was confirmed by my local dealer. The salesman told me that it's imperative, and due to the electronics in the vehicle, all AMGs need to be started and 12v charged every 2 days. So, if we are on vacay, more than 1 week, the car's battery is probably going to die. (Can anyone corroborate this?). The salesman suggested putting the car on a battery drip charger if it's not going to be driven for an extended period of time. 😩
Old 12-08-2022, 12:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Originally Posted by Buenorock
Good Morning Crew! I had/have the same situation with mine. If the car is left open with a door ajar, or any lights in the car on, the 12v battery does signal that email and alert on the app. This was confirmed by my local dealer. The salesman told me that it's imperative, and due to the electronics in the vehicle, all AMGs need to be started and 12v charged every 2 days. So, if we are on vacay, more than 1 week, the car's battery is probably going to die. (Can anyone corroborate this?). The salesman suggested putting the car on a battery drip charger if it's not going to be driven for an extended period of time. 😩
Such a shame. New car and all one wants to do is drive and enjoy as opposed to worrying. Technology is a wonderful thing until it takes over your life.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 351 Likes on 200 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Buenorock
Not quite so. Although I have had similar problems with messages about the battery being low or in a critical state, and I am sure that at some point there will be a software update, the car has never failed to start. One way to solve these battery message problems for the time being is whenever you get out of the car lock it. I was recently out of the country for three weeks. Before I left, I locked the car in my garage and also made sure that the keys were a substantial distance from the car. When I returned, although there was a message that the battery was low, it was not the same sort of critical message that one would get after a few days previously. From what I understand the electronics are so active and there is so much ongoing communication even when a person is out of the car, like being parked in one's garage overnight, that it will gradually put a drain on the battery if the car is not being driven much. And communication with Mercedes Me is one of the constant battery draining issues as well as the constant communication with one's keys if the keys are in proximity. Notice how the doorhandles open up if you are moving the keys around within a certain proximity to the car. There's so much communication going on with the car, with the battery low messages being sent at a not realistic level, that the whole system is in need of a substantial software update.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Originally Posted by California John
Not quite so. Although I have had similar problems with messages about the battery being low or in a critical state, and I am sure that at some point there will be a software update, the car has never failed to start. One way to solve these battery message problems for the time being is whenever you get out of the car lock it. I was recently out of the country for three weeks. Before I left, I locked the car in my garage and also made sure that the keys were a substantial distance from the car. When I returned, although there was a message that the battery was low, it was not the same sort of critical message that one would get after a few days previously. From what I understand the electronics are so active and there is so much ongoing communication even when a person is out of the car, like being parked in one's garage overnight, that it will gradually put a drain on the battery if the car is not being driven much. And communication with Mercedes Me is one of the constant battery draining issues as well as the constant communication with one's keys if the keys are in proximity. Notice how the doorhandles open up if you are moving the keys around within a certain proximity to the car. There's so much communication going on with the car, with the battery low messages being sent at a not realistic level, that the whole system is in need of a substantial software update.

Hopefully they will have sorted that out by 2023.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:27 PM

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
That was my experience as well with E63s. Have to drive it or use trickle charger. Looks like the same problem with many MB AMG models. I don't put much miles on my cars but never had this problem with other brands.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:22 PM

So, They thought they had sorted my battery issue last week but when i went to pick it up, they hadnt; the employee sent to get my car couldnt get in without the manual key then noted numerous faults when starting it up; I took a loaner home - a nice new c300; at least its battery was fine. They tried to start it up over the weekend and said they didnt have issues but had a critical battery again; they said yesterday they found a drain coming from an amp/sound system that was drawing power while the car was off so they ordered a new one; they told me it'd be overnight which equates to 7-10d in real life. Normally I'd say, wow a new amp!, except mine is a supposedly a new one anyways. When it gets here and installed we'll see. As a side note, I think that when you use the Mercedes app to connect to the car it also screws up the system at times. I sent a map link to the car and then when I went out to get in the car it wouldn't open. It had to reset over time on its own. Strange. My wife just shook her head as I tried to get into my new car and couldn't.
California John (12-08-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 10:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
I really hope you all get these issues worked out, but this is just one of the reason I declined an allocation for a February build at MSRP. Last thing I need in life is to wait a few months for a dream car only to have it spend most of its early life in the shop. Very disappointing.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by SteveL1
I really hope you all get these issues worked out, but this is just one of the reason I declined an allocation for a February build at MSRP. Last thing I need in life is to wait a few months for a dream car only to have it spend most of its early life in the shop. Very disappointing.
Oh no need to spend any time in the shop really - it is just a software adjustment that will have to be made - and not ready yet. Not one person has said their car doesn't drive properly or start properly. It is just that there are messages about the state of the battery that are bogus or at least quite exaggerated. That's basically it. But it is or rather was disconcerting when you didn't know what was going on. The car drives wonderfully and can be as much a monster as you want - or as much a smooth cruiser as you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by California John:
crconsulting (12-16-2022), js_cls (12-10-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 05:48 PM

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 AMG SL55 Dynamic, 2005 Lotus Elise
Seems pretty common. My starter battery dies if I don't use the car for about 3 days. I now connect a trickle charger when I go on vacation. One word of caution, when I had my car wrapped it died entirely and after recharging it some systems didn't come back like the radars. I had to go to the dealer and have them reset the system and do an update to get it working again.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 183 Likes on 99 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
None of this sounds normal and it is quite incredible to me that this issue has not made MB radar yet so that they put in a proper fix. How in the world is a car like this supposed to be without juice after three days? Even my Ferrari which is known for a short battery life makes it for about 10 days. I think this is a systemic issue that needs to be addressed by MB/

What can our community do to get their attention?
Old 12-16-2022, 06:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
650iC
I'm having the same issues. Several days at the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating certainly highlighted the problem (and yes, it's not just the warning messages, it's an actual failure to start and a freeze of some components after a jump start). Car is back at the detailer to see if they can identify the problem. MB needs to figure this out.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:18 PM

My colleague is having the same issue on an EQS. I guess they have a similar small "starter" battery. Our dealers don't have a fix at this time and swapping the battery doesn't solve the issue. There is definitely a phantom drain, most likely what's allowing me to remotely operate the car (locks, start) is also killing it.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by vbrisebo
My colleague is having the same issue on an EQS. I guess they have a similar small "starter" battery. Our dealers don't have a fix at this time and swapping the battery doesn't solve the issue. There is definitely a phantom drain, most likely what's allowing me to remotely operate the car (locks, start) is also killing it.
Certainly there is an issue and most likely a phantom drain as suggested above. But it isn't a "small" starter battery. This is the battery and it's got lots of juice and well made. It's a modern AGM battery with lots of amps. Two hints to help the critical battery messages be fewer: Always lock the car when leaving it - even in your garage - and keep the keys 4-5 meters away from the car. I know it's ridiculous but it is effective - and will help obviate the problems until a real fix is available.

Last edited by California John; 12-16-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2012 CLS63
I'm having the same issues. Several days at the detailer for PPF and ceramic coating certainly highlighted the problem (and yes, it's not just the warning messages, it's an actual failure to start and a freeze of some components after a jump start). Car is back at the detailer to see if they can identify the problem. MB needs to figure this out.
This is why I started this thread. When at the detailer, the car died after two days and the battery had a difficult time being trickle charged; when I got the car back the battery was dead. When the dealer tried to check the battery and even tried a swap but there was a drain somewhere; they didnt find anything and told me I could take it home; when I came to pick it up, the attendant said he couldnt even get in the car and had to use the manual key to get in and start it up; it lit up like a Christmas tree with numerous codes. SO I left it and when they rechecked it they said they found a drain coming from an amp; they just replaced the amp and now theyre trying to reprogram it and its delayed by input from Germany. WIll see if I get it back this week and if the problem is "better" because I'm skeptical its fixed. I'm convinced that the Mercedes Me app screws up something whenever I try to connect with the car and check its status. Its been three weeks and now its snowing; so much for driving it
California John (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 11:03 AM

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
Just thinking out loud here... It may be useful to record the battery voltage when problems first start occurring.

If the battery voltage is relatively high, it may point to low voltage threshold levels that are set to high.

If the voltage is low, there may be excessive parasitic draw on the battery.

A simple test for parasitic draw is to clamp a DC clamp meter—capable of resolving to mA--around the large positive or negative battery wire and measure the current draw after the vehicle enters sleep mode. If memory serves, 40-50 mA is in the normal range for a vehicle in sleep mode.

If excessive draw is suspected, there are ways (measuring the voltage drop across individual fuses) to identify the bad actor.

I would love to have a R232 in the garage to test this out, but for now owning one is something I dream about---and sometime during waking hours too.
California John (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 11:33 PM

Certainly there is an issue and most likely a phantom drain as suggested above. But it isn't a "small" starter battery. This is the battery and it's got lots of juice and well made. It's a modern AGM battery with lots of amps. Two hints to help the critical battery messages be fewer: Always lock the car when leaving it - even in your garage - and keep the keys 4-5 meters away from the car. I know it's ridiculous but it is effective - and will help obviate the problems until a real fix is available.
I have that big battery in the trunk but there is also a small starter LiPo battery under the hood, this is the one that keeps draining.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:31 AM

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I ran into one related idiosyncrasy that I assume only the battery warnings issue would have caused. After the typical texts and emails from the SL when our detailer does his weekly magic requiring the doors to be open for awhile, one message said all remote features had been turned off until the car was driven a bit. Started with no problem and went on my way.

What I noticed today is that some of my saved settings like the steering wheel and seat returning to the logged in memory position plus the door locking options were changed. Several other options wiped too, but not too big a deal except for winnowing through the settings layers to find the fixes. This plus the remote start requiring the car to shut off before getting in to then immediately restart it are mildly annoying. Doesn't remotely (pun) take away from thoroughly enjoying the car.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLS63 AMG 2022 SL63 AMG
I have been fortunate and only had the "critical battery" message once. And that was after I had been out of town for over a week and had not locked the car before departing. I charged it on the trickle charger, and have not had any issues since. I've had the vehicle 3 months now, and agree with California John that locking it and keeping the key a distance away are very effective procedures to avoid a battery drain.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:32 PM

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 992 GT3, Taycan Turbo, 1966 Shelby Cobra, Ford Raptor, KTM 1290 Super Duke R Evo
Originally Posted by vbrisebo
I have that big battery in the trunk but there is also a small starter LiPo battery under the hood, this is the one that keeps draining.
Oh, interesting. Where under the hood is that LiPo battery please? Under the hood I see the flimsy little cover on the right-hand side of the car just in front of the windshield. Under that cover is the filler for the windshield washer, and a sliding cover for the positive charge/jump terminal. Below that terminal is a black plastic box about the size of a motorcycle battery, but I don't see a battery there. Is it somewhere else under the hood? Do you have a photo please? I'm curious because I use an AGM battery maintainer on that terminal and the ground terminal nearby. If it's charging a LiPo battery, I would switch to a different maintainer.

My 992 GT3 has only a LiPo battery and I maintain that with a Lithium battery maintainer. My Taycan apparently has a physically small LiPo battery to supplement the main 93.4kWh battery, and messing with that small battery is a bad idea, based on the forums. I can't imagine why an SL63 would need a small LiPo battery to supplement the big ol' AGM battery under the trunk.

I've had the same experience as others with low/critical battery messages, e.g. when detailing the car. I keep it locked and on the AGM maintainer when not using it, with no messages since doing that.
California John (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 01:41 PM

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 992 GT3, Taycan Turbo, 1966 Shelby Cobra, Ford Raptor, KTM 1290 Super Duke R Evo
From page 325 of the owner's manual. This probably isn't definitive, but it suggests that the big AGM battery under the trunk is the only one:

The vehicle is equipped with an AGM technology
battery (Absorbent Glass Mat) or a lithium-
ion battery. Full vehicle functionality is
only guaranteed with an AGM battery or lithium-
ion battery. For safety reasons, Mercedes-
Benz recommends that you only use batteries
which have been tested and approved for your
vehicle by Mercedes-Benz.
California John (12-19-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 697 Likes on 531 Posts
R Nine T
John

Press lock function on key twice quickly and it will deactivate radio on key. This will extend battery and prevent any communications with key until key is pressed again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: Ongoing Battery Issues