SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 107 - 560SL suspension mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
107 - 560SL suspension mods?

Has anyone tried to beef up the soft suspension on their 560SL? I have found a company that sells sport springs for nearly every Benz, but they are $799 a set. I know that others on another forum are getting special dual-adjustment shocks made by Koni...as in custom made at $2,000+ per set. What I was wondering is if anyone had experimented with shocks other than the stock Bilsteins, or if there are any other springs that might work.

The 107's are left out of most aftermarket manufacturer's repitoire because they are, well, old...and there are not as many of them around. The market is too small to justify making aftermarket parts. Are there any known sources for 107 suspension mods? I'd love to get my hands on some AMG springs from the 107 era, but I'd have better luck finding the Holy Grail. Selling my 560SL and locating an AMG counterpart of the same vintage is just not an option, so any feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
500 SEC, SEL, SL
Originally Posted by karburn
Has anyone tried to beef up the soft suspension on their 560SL? I have found a company that sells sport springs for nearly every Benz, but they are $799 a set. I know that others on another forum are getting special dual-adjustment shocks made by Koni...as in custom made at $2,000+ per set. What I was wondering is if anyone had experimented with shocks other than the stock Bilsteins, or if there are any other springs that might work.

The 107's are left out of most aftermarket manufacturer's repitoire because they are, well, old...and there are not as many of them around. The market is too small to justify making aftermarket parts. Are there any known sources for 107 suspension mods? I'd love to get my hands on some AMG springs from the 107 era, but I'd have better luck finding the Holy Grail. Selling my 560SL and locating an AMG counterpart of the same vintage is just not an option, so any feedback is appreciated.

I recently replaced the tired shocks on my 1982 500sl AMG with Bilstein HD's. The cheapest price I found was with Auto Parts Warehouse and they were just over $200 dollars for the entire set of four.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...Value=Bilstein

It's rumored that aftermarket performance springs are still available thru Eibach but only to the European market. An enthusiast abroad may be able to help.

Otherwise, the alternative is keeping searching for a set of AMG springs thru the usual outlets such as eBay, eBay.de, eBay.co.uk, etc. Good luck!

Last edited by 48hp; 10-21-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 AM

500 SEC, SEL, SL
here is a posting from German ebay for a set of 107 spring not typically available in the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_758wt_941
Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
I'll have to brush up on my high school German to translate the add, but they are definitely springs. Even with shipping, they would be cheaper than the US alternative. Thanks for the link
Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 AM

500 SEC, SEL, SL
google translate is helpful:

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en#
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560sl 1988
Hi,

I am new to the forum, and I need some help. I have a 560SL 1988 model. I am looking to restore it completely, most of the mechanics are done and cosmetics are next. The problem is as follows. Even though it's a fast enough car with a V8, it's not fast. Therefore, I was thinking about upgrading the engine, let's say from a recent 55amg or sl600. I am also not particularly comfortable with suspension, 560sels are more comfortable, so can a ... let say 560sel suspension be installed on 560SL.

So, the first question is can it be done? The second question is should it be done? Many people commented on the car, and told me NOT to modify it and keep it original as it looks better and keeps value better as an original.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Al
Old 09-03-2011, 04:43 PM

82 380SL 96 SL500
Originally Posted by BenzMan4Ever
Hi,

.... Therefore, I was thinking about upgrading the engine, let's say from a recent 55amg or sl600. I am also not particularly comfortable with suspension, 560sels are more comfortable, so can a ... let say 560sel suspension be installed on 560SL.

Al
Well, Al, anything can be done. Here's a thread from another forum on transplanting an M120 out of an SL600 into a 560SL. After you've read the thread, the question will be whether you're willing or able to do so.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...ml#post4771912

It's obviously not a job for the faint of heart.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM

560sl 1988
Thanks Alan, great info. Looks like a LOT of modifications. Will probably take a long time, just as I thought. Engine mounts will definitely have to be modified. So ... somebody did suggest a solution. Take out the existing 560sl engine, and do something sexy to it .... like add few hundred more horsepower to it. I'm not an engine rebuild expert, even though I have seen people do it, but I think it would involve boring out new and larger cylinders, changing heads, maybe reprogramming computer. Can it be done this way - using the same engine block with same mounts, but increase the horse power and maybe even adding a turbo or supercharger? I know this is getting a bit technical, but ... maybe it can be done this easier way. And would the original transmission be able to handle the extra horsepower? Thanks in advance.

Al
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM

82 380SL 96 SL500
Originally Posted by BenzMan4Ever
Thanks Alan, great info. Looks like a LOT of modifications. Will probably take a long time, just as I thought. Engine mounts will definitely have to be modified. So ... somebody did suggest a solution. Take out the existing 560sl engine, and do something sexy to it .... like add few hundred more horsepower to it. I'm not an engine rebuild expert, even though I have seen people do it, but I think it would involve boring out new and larger cylinders, changing heads, maybe reprogramming computer. Can it be done this way - using the same engine block with same mounts, but increase the horse power and maybe even adding a turbo or supercharger? I know this is getting a bit technical, but ... maybe it can be done this easier way. And would the original transmission be able to handle the extra horsepower? Thanks in advance.

Al
569SLs have been turbochargerd and perhaps supercharged. Still not a small job considering the need to find room for components.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 AM

1988 560sl
"Even though it's fast enough...it's not fast.".I love it! I feel the same way about mine.
The 560 sl feels somewhat like a regular fast car...it takes a while to hit 142mph-the speed control limiter. I thought about changing the cam shafts and adding a high end turbo or blower...maybe high compression domed pistons and porting the heads...but then I better increase the rod and main bearing clearances...yatayata...and push it until it blows up setting a new record at the Utah flats...but I've had it for seventeen years and I like it. So. I guess I'll just wait for it to hit 142 and cruise...hoping it will last another 50 years. But I do need help with ground clearance..I like to drive off road and it bottoms out. Any suggestions?