SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My SL55 was stolen last night…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
AAG
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
My SL55 was stolen last night…

Woke up to find the car gone. We live in the South of France… they climbed over the fence, picked the main door lock (new door with multiple locking points, etc) found the keys, seem could not find the gate remote in my car so they went back in, unlocked my wife’s car to get her remote, RETURNED her key to the same spot and were gone. We didn’t hear anything… I am thankful that we didn’t… we have kids and the thought of these guys in the house makes me sick. We have an alarm but it wasn’t on… not sure if it would have made any difference.

The police were too busy to come… Tracker is fitted in the car but here Tracker need a police report faxed to them before they can feed the police system so it was lunch time before they were tracing it. We had to go the police station to get the report… the police said they will still come to see the site but never showed up.

I am thankful no one was hurt… a car is only a car… my initial reaction was ‘I will get another one tomorrow’ but on reflection I am not sure if it is worth the hassle. You hear that this is a real problem with dozens of expensive cars taken every month and end up in other countries. Apparently, these are organized gangs and have orders to fill!

I loved my car… can’t think of another I would rather drive but I am now thinking of getting an ordinary car that might not be a target. These guys left my credit cards in my wallet (took the cash) and left mobile phones and expensive cameras that were next to the car key! Also left my wife’s BMW 530 untouched other than opening it to get the remote.

Sorry to unload here but perhaps it helps to do so.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I'm sorry for your loss, and for the way you must feel right now (screwed beyond imaginaiton). Sickening to say the least.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:31 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Unhappy Couldn't be more sorry for you...

I've had cars broken into as well as homes burgled, but never had a car stolen. I can only imagine what you're going through. You have a great perspective, though, although these are very, very nice cars, they still are cars.

Society is really sad nowadays. Of course it was as bad long ago, but there were fewer people so it wasn't so commonplace.

Take care and I hope you are able to come to a decision about a replacement that will give you peace.
Greg
Old 06-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Banned

that is an absolute tragedy. on the other hand they got your keys and your alarm wasnt on. if you had your keys and alarm on it would probably have happened. the american way after 9-11 was if you back down the xxx win. id get an sl65 and be dammed with how other people make the way you live your life. there is nothing more important than your family but to those who work hard and relax with the fruits of your labor you shouldnt let some pukes rule the way you live. sorry, this isnt meant to come off as anything other than empahthetic but it ffffing makes my blood boil to see the have nots change the way the haves (because of hard work) live their life!!!!!!!!!!!
good luck and like you said your family is safe. turn on that alarm AND PACK SOME HEAT in a gun safe.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
That's awfull. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure that you feel violated. I bet your car is already in Russia by now. It is my understanding that is the usual destination for high line cars that are stolen.

I have a somewhat conspicuous collection of cars and there are always people driving by very slowly....sometimes it worries me a great deal. I will increase security and not let others dictate the way I live.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
ins. scam! lololool
Old 06-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
Unhappy unreal

Originally Posted by AAG
Woke up to find the car gone. We live in the South of France… they climbed over the fence, picked the main door lock (new door with multiple locking points, etc) found the keys, seem could not find the gate remote in my car so they went back in, unlocked my wife’s car to get her remote, RETURNED her key to the same spot and were gone. We didn’t hear anything… I am thankful that we didn’t… we have kids and the thought of these guys in the house makes me sick. We have an alarm but it wasn’t on… not sure if it would have made any difference.

The police were too busy to come… Tracker is fitted in the car but here Tracker need a police report faxed to them before they can feed the police system so it was lunch time before they were tracing it. We had to go the police station to get the report… the police said they will still come to see the site but never showed up.

I am thankful no one was hurt… a car is only a car… my initial reaction was ‘I will get another one tomorrow’ but on reflection I am not sure if it is worth the hassle. You hear that this is a real problem with dozens of expensive cars taken every month and end up in other countries. Apparently, these are organized gangs and have orders to fill!

I loved my car… can’t think of another I would rather drive but I am now thinking of getting an ordinary car that might not be a target. These guys left my credit cards in my wallet (took the cash) and left mobile phones and expensive cameras that were next to the car key! Also left my wife’s BMW 530 untouched other than opening it to get the remote.

Sorry to unload here but perhaps it helps to do so.
wow! losing the car is bad, but you must feel unbelievably violated and powerless! to think they actually came in your house! a part of me would want to catch them face to face, but all i would have to do is make one mistake, and my family would pay the price. if you cannot get better security, i understand your decision to step down in quality.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
that would be my worst nightmare...... im sorry bud,,

Mark
Old 06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
It's just a car in the grand scheme of things. Some metal and rubber and plastic. Dont compromise you and your family's driving safety when you get something else.

Your family and health are much more important. That being said, maybe this was a wake up call for your security. Maybe that Rottweiler or German Shepherd puppy your family always wanted is a done deal now. Plus the alarm wont be forgotten anymore.

T
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
I feel sorry for you...At least it insured and you get all your money back...

Dont take it as an offence but soon this SL55 will arriving in Moscow and will be sold for $50k...
Old 06-22-2005, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Yes I'm sorry to hear this. Also I can't believe those stupid police officers and they're response to your situation.It apears to be quite different here in NY now a days with more police around and auto theft way way down compared to other places in the US.Again I'm sorry to hear this.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:54 PM

04 sl55amg, 04 H2, 02 corvette Z06, 01 bmw 530i(Sold), E60 M5 (507hp)
My condolances. I would'nt let the felonious acts of some people dictate how I should live my life. Life is too short to act as if we live in a bubble. The chances are slim that your future purchase will be stolen again and if it were, I would be extremely suspicious of the people you have around you. Its like getting hit by lightning. Your chances are low, but the probability is decreased with constant vigilance, which, you should be anyways whether you have a common car or otherwise.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Sounds like they have been watching you for a few weeks atleast. Has anyone been in your house for a service needed or an Estimate? How else would they know where everything was so quickly and quietly?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:09 PM
AAG
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
update

First, many thanks for your kind words and for your support. I appreciate it.

Yesterday, Tracker called to confirm the car colour at about 6 pm. Would not say more. Then at 1 AM we got a call from the police in Menton. They found the car.

Tracker (http://www.tracker.co.uk/home/) picked up a signal but it was rather hard for them to pinpoint the location as that area (near Monaco) is full of hills and mountains. They sent their helicopter and were able to give the police an exact location. The police, wanting to catch the thieve watched the car until midnight then gave up as no one approached the car and removed the car to their secure yard.

I have not been able to go there yet as I had to be on a business trip today but I will be going to see the car tomorrow AM. I do not know if it is damaged at all but I suspect not.

Apparently, this is normal. The thieves park the car somewhere quiet for a few days because they do not know if is fitted with a tracking device. If the car is still here after a couple of days then they come back for it.

I am amazed at the service quality of Tracker and the police... this restores my faith in the police. Of course I am pleased as I am sure the insurance would not have paid what the car would be worth... pleased that the thieves did not get the car.... of couse it is a shame they did not catch them but I guess they tried.

I have to get the keys changed as the thieve still has a key to the car... so hopefully a happy ending. Will let you know.

Regards
Old 06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
can you change these keys?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Stolen Car

Glad to hear of the recovery, hopefully it was not vandalized....
Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Congratulations. However it'll probably take some time to lose that 'screwed over' feeling they gave you by violating your property and privacy.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:38 PM

05 CLK 320
thank god everything worked out,

you should probably get two/three reduntant alarm systems, have a security company come and analyze your house.

I hope those *******s get caught, as another member said they have no right to touch your stuff.

Well any way good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Congrats my friend!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:46 AM

1998 honda civic lx
wow, what a story, sorry to hear what happened, but glad it seems to be working out now. let us know how it works out.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:22 PM

SL55 AMG
Tracker rules... Gives me so much peace of mind. I have it in all of my cars and would never not get it my next ones.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
AAG
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
Another Update

What a day. Went to the Menton Gendarmerie... which is a national police force. They were the ones we had to file the theft report with. They didnt have the car and sent us over to the Police Nacional (not to be confused with the Police Municipale)... don't ask me wht the difference is, I don't know.

Waited for an hour to see an officer; during this time a number of people came in mostly having been robbed (break in, hand bags ******ed, mobile phones grabbed... makes you wonder what this world is coming to).

A very nice police officer spent half an hour entering data into the computer, printed a bunch of papers I had to sign... still have not seen the car by the way. He didnt know about the condition of the car.

Had to then go over to a yard near the motorway where recovered stolen cars are held. Mine was sitting in the middle... from the outside looked undamaged but dirty. Number plates the same... hadnt been changed. More paperwork being prepared while I opened the car with my spare key... the car ownership certificate is there... also, some personal belonging... nothing seemed missing.

Paid up Euro 320 in towing charges and I was off. I then realised that the Sat Nav CD is gone... this is the only item that seems to be missing from the car.

The car drives as good as ever.

To be honest the joy of driving away then was better than when I got the car originally. The roof was down, the sun was shinning and life was good. Having been driving in a rented Opel Astra (Diesel!!!) for three days, you really appreciate the SL55!

Now, to Mercedes to sort out the keys. I can't remember if I mentioned that as many of you probably do, I sometimes separate the plastic key from the small metal one... this happens if I need to use other keys which are on the same key ring as the car keys while the car is running. On the day the car was stolen, I had thrown the keys in the cigar box we keep the keys in but they were separated (in other words, the metal key was not inside the plastic part). The thieve had only grabbed the plastic one. This was very lucky because had he taken both parts I would have had to change the locks on the car... very expensive. As it is, Mercedes plugged the car into their computer and also the key and reprogrammed them so that the old key code is no longer valid. This was done on the spot and free of charge... I also orderd a spare key replacement (Euro 119).

Few lessons... improve security (certainly use the alarm in the house), get a dog, do not keep anything you value in the car, only keep photoopies of the car registration and insurance in the car, use a tracking device... that really saved the day, keep the metal key in another spot from the plastic key...

This has been a pain and an unnecessary stress. There has to be a way for car makers to deal with this problem. I think there are cars now that can be switched off via satellite... that certainly would discourage theft of such a car. If this was an option, I would pay for it.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by AAG
What a day. Went to the Menton Gendarmerie... which is a national police force. They were the ones we had to file the theft report with. They didnt have the car and sent us over to the Police Nacional (not to be confused with the Police Municipale)... don't ask me wht the difference is, I don't know.

Waited for an hour to see an officer; during this time a number of people came in mostly having been robbed (break in, hand bags ******ed, mobile phones grabbed... makes you wonder what this world is coming to).

A very nice police officer spent half an hour entering data into the computer, printed a bunch of papers I had to sign... still have not seen the car by the way. He didnt know about the condition of the car.

Had to then go over to a yard near the motorway where recovered stolen cars are held. Mine was sitting in the middle... from the outside looked undamaged but dirty. Number plates the same... hadnt been changed. More paperwork being prepared while I opened the car with my spare key... the car ownership certificate is there... also, some personal belonging... nothing seemed missing.

Paid up Euro 320 in towing charges and I was off. I then realised that the Sat Nav CD is gone... this is the only item that seems to be missing from the car.

The car drives as good as ever.

To be honest the joy of driving away then was better than when I got the car originally. The roof was down, the sun was shinning and life was good. Having been driving in a rented Opel Astra (Diesel!!!) for three days, you really appreciate the SL55!

Now, to Mercedes to sort out the keys. I can't remember if I mentioned that as many of you probably do, I sometimes separate the plastic key from the small metal one... this happens if I need to use other keys which are on the same key ring as the car keys while the car is running. On the day the car was stolen, I had thrown the keys in the cigar box we keep the keys in but they were separated (in other words, the metal key was not inside the plastic part). The thieve had only grabbed the plastic one. This was very lucky because had he taken both parts I would have had to change the locks on the car... very expensive. As it is, Mercedes plugged the car into their computer and also the key and reprogrammed them so that the old key code is no longer valid. This was done on the spot and free of charge... I also orderd a spare key replacement (Euro 119).

Few lessons... improve security (certainly use the alarm in the house), get a dog, do not keep anything you value in the car, only keep photoopies of the car registration and insurance in the car, use a tracking device... that really saved the day, keep the metal key in another spot from the plastic key...

This has been a pain and an unnecessary stress. There has to be a way for car makers to deal with this problem. I think there are cars now that can be switched off via satellite... that certainly would discourage theft of such a car. If this was an option, I would pay for it.

Any thoughts?
There are gps systems that can turn off car, lock doors etc just do a internet search,
Old 06-23-2005, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Although your story ended for the most part happy (family safe and car recovered), it sounds like you picked up habits that need to be changed. another member on here had his entire house robbed. his father failed active the home alarm because of laziness. not that alarms will prevent such activities, it certainly helps distract theives from their plan. i don't know anything about tracker, i heard lojack has good reviews. having to send a fax seems to be a waste of time. you should check with your police department if they work hand in hand with lojack.

Last edited by NO_WUR_E; 06-23-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by AAG
I think there are cars now that can be switched off via satellite... that certainly would discourage theft of such a car. If this was an option, I would pay for it.

Any thoughts?
There are. Mine can for instance. However it depends on national regulations wether you are allowed to install them or not. For example The Netherlands have stricter rules that Belgium. Which means that you can get a safer system installed in Belgium than in the Netherlands.

The Belgian system allows the owner to do a lot of things (and more) that in other countries requires an Alarm Central.

For example, your statement that Tracker would only go after the bad guys after you filed report. With the Belgian system you could kill the cars ignition yourself, wether it be driving or not.

Belgium has aways been some sort of free harbour for all kinds of stuff. I contemplate driving there to have such a system installed in my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My SL55 was stolen last night…