SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Good Bye DB9... Hello SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Bye DB9... Hello SL65

Hi all. Well I've finally decided to part with my DB9 and order an '07 SL65. Can anyone tell me what options are offered for '07? None of the dealers I have talked to know anything yet.
TIA
Old 04-01-2006, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Trunk closer?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:36 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
I would take the huge discounts on what is around if the trunk closer is the only change.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Check here for the press-release: http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Jan06/1...erationSL.html

Edit - Here is a better article: http://autopark.blogspot.com/2006/02...-facelift.html

Edit - More info: http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...class-in-depth

I think the ABC is updated and the engine management is enhanced a bit. Plus some other under the hood changes. If you're **** about having the latest & geatest I'd go for the '07, else you might want to pick up a discounted '06.

Last edited by sprins; 04-01-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Distronic and parktronic?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:53 PM

04 SL55 (sold),05 SL55, 09 SL63, 07 C2S cab Porsche,
what didn't you like about the DB9?

I was considering getting the Volante
Old 04-02-2006, 03:52 PM

For me, the biggest problem is the seats. They are too narrow and too hard for me. Also the suspension is too stiff for everyday driving on the streets. Other minor complaints are the LED dashboard gets washed out in bright sunlight, The radio and nav buttons are too small and too close together. There are no puddle lights and you cant find the outside door handles at night. I bought the car based strictly on looks and glowing reviews in the press. Big mistake. I drove my friend's SL55 for a while and realized that it was much more user friendly, more luxurious, and had the advantage of being a coupe or convertible whenever the spirit moved me.
So for just a little more money, The SL65 is a 360F1 and a Continental GT rolled into one, and there is a Mercedes dealer everywhere you go just in case.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I drove the DB9 not too long ago and although I was (and still am) extremely impressed with the styling of the car I was very disappointed by the comfort and the fit & finish of the interior.

The lack of comfort surprised me the most, the DB9 is more of a hardcore sportscar than my SL55. With the I can drive both relaxed and sporty, with the DB9 you can only drive sporty.

And although the interior materials are of high quality, the finish in my SL55 and the feel of the material is superior to the DB9s.

My conclusion: The SL55 was and is the right car for me, and the DB9 disappointed me a bit.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:26 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by sprins
I drove the DB9 not too long ago and although I was (and still am) extremely impressed with the styling of the car I was very disappointed by the comfort and the fit & finish of the interior.

The lack of comfort surprised me the most, the DB9 is more of a hardcore sportscar than my SL55. With the I can drive both relaxed and sporty, with the DB9 you can only drive sporty.

And although the interior materials are of high quality, the finish in my SL55 and the feel of the material is superior to the DB9s.

My conclusion: The SL55 was and is the right car for me, and the DB9 disappointed me a bit.

I got the same impresions as you. My neighbor brought home a demo yesterday and we took it out for a while and I was a bit disapointed. I think it looks great although this one was burgundy which doesn't work for me but like previously stated the nav and stereo buttons are tiny and tough to get used to. The power was ok and the sound was ok but not better. My SL just seemed to me like it does everything better but it does have the looks and the exlusivity that the SL will never have. I have the Bentley Cont. Convert on order and when that comes in it will have to do one hell of a job to make me give the SL the boot!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Same here. I test drove a DB9 and just couldn't bring myself to part with the SL55 for one of these. It's a car made in tiny volumes so you don't get the manufactured look and feel of the SL and I certainly agree they appear to have run out of budget after designing the instrument panel. The centre console is not in the same league.

Nice gearbox though, better the SLs when used in manual mode and certainly exclusive, got far more looks from other people than the SL which looks from the front just like any other Mercedes at first glance and the SL's need for the trunk lid, rear window and top roof section to be pretty much the same length imposes limits all of its own.

The Bentley Continental's success is one of life's great mysteries to me...

That said, I'm not convinced the SL65 feels special enough for the price. There's only one car I'd consider to replace the SL55 and that's a Ferrari F599 Fiorano.

Last edited by blueSL; 04-10-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM

BlueSL, are you a Sepo living in the U.K or are you a Brit?

Last edited by athlon70; 04-12-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
This is what athlon70 originally said, before he thought better of it and edited it:

Of course the GT's success is a mystery to you.

You are a Sepo, look at what you export: Stupid RAP music and all the propoganda associated with it.

Class is not something that you can buy, it has to be appreciated. Something you Sepos will never grasp.

Since I have no idea who or what a Sepo is, I cannot comment further except to say that it is perfectly valid to express an opinion about a car on this forum without this sort of abusive comment coming back.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Interesting reading about you rich guys and the Aston-Martin DB9. I guess I'd be disapointed if I were ever able to buy one huh? It sounds like what is the most beautiful car in the world really proves that beauty is only skin deep. Ouch. I knew the Aston wouldn't "function" or be as functional as a Benz, but I always though its looks would get it over that and owners would just drive a Benz/BMW for their daily driver anyway.

M
Old 04-12-2006, 04:16 AM

I have to agree with the DB9.. it definately has that "awe" and "wow" factor.. and sitting in the car is awesome.. BUT.. when you think realistically sitting in there, it really isn't very comfortable.. it's very stiff, and I think the sl has spoiled it for me.. it's like a comfy high class leather reclining chair... while the aston martin is more like a contemporary stiff chair on the inside.. none the less a beautiful car in many more ways than one.. but I couldn't imagine driving one every day..

Originally Posted by blueSL
Same here. I test drove a DB9 and just couldn't bring myself to part with the SL55 for one of these. It's a car made in tiny volumes so you don't get the manufactured look and feel of the SL and I certainly agree they appear to have run out of budget after designing the instrument panel. The centre console is not in the same league.

Nice gearbox though, better the SLs when used in manual mode and certainly exclusive, got far more looks from other people than the SL which looks from the front just like any other Mercedes at first glance and the SL's need for the trunk lid, rear window and top roof section to be pretty much the same length imposes limits all of its own.

The Bentley Continental's success is one of life's great mysteries to me...

That said, I'm not convinced the SL65 feels special enough for the price. There's only one car I'd consider to replace the SL55 and that's a Ferrari F599 Fiorano.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by seattlecarfreak
I have to agree with the DB9.. it definately has that "awe" and "wow" factor.. and sitting in the car is awesome.. BUT.. when you think realistically sitting in there, it really isn't very comfortable.. it's very stiff, and I think the sl has spoiled it for me.. it's like a comfy high class leather reclining chair... while the aston martin is more like a contemporary stiff chair on the inside.. none the less a beautiful car in many more ways than one.. but I couldn't imagine driving one every day..
What is wrong with you guys?Too many donuts lately?
It's a sports car,seats are terriffic and the ride is maybe stiffer then typical GT but not uncomfortable(even on "smooth" Chicago streets)
Seats are indeed aggresively bolstered but the car is a sport rather then cruise oriented.
I love it and I'll miss it when trade it in late Summer.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by absent
...Seats are indeed aggresively bolstered but the car is a sport rather then cruise oriented...
I think that is the summary of the 'complaints' against the DB9 and in favour of the SL. Thanks for clearing things up

All in all it is a matter of taste. But the thing that cought me off guard was that the appearance and image of the DB9 promised me something a bit different than it delivered. But you can also blame my (apparently unfounded) expectations of course
Old 04-12-2006, 10:24 AM

It's a sports car,seats are terriffic and the ride is maybe stiffer then typical GT but not uncomfortable(even on "smooth" Chicago streets)
Seats are indeed aggresively bolstered but the car is a sport rather then cruise oriented.

I'm shocked by how many here have driven this car and been dissapointed. To me this is the sexiest car made right now, but I've never had the pleasure of driving one.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by blueSL
This is what athlon70 originally said, before he thought better of it and edited it:

Of course the GT's success is a mystery to you.

You are a Sepo, look at what you export: Stupid RAP music and all the propoganda associated with it.

Class is not something that you can buy, it has to be appreciated. Something you Sepos will never grasp.

Since I have no idea who or what a Sepo is, I cannot comment further except to say that it is perfectly valid to express an opinion about a car on this forum without this sort of abusive comment coming back.
blueSL-

According to urbandictionary.com, Sepo is a derogatory term for American. I had never heard it before, but then again I don't recognize most of the acronyms and slang that are used in this forum.

I guess athlon can't comprehend that a Brit cannot appreciate the Bentley Continental and chose to lash out in this manner.

Perhaps we could give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was drunk when he posted, because I can't imagine that he meant to denigrate all of the Americans on the forum or to suggest that a Brit is incapable of having an independent point of view.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:58 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Drove a colleague's DB9 Coupe a 100 mis or so through various urban/suburban straight-line and fwy settings.....was underwhelmed on various fronts by DB9.....first, key fob is straight out of the Ford parts bin; many of the interior finishes (door handles, turn signal levers, center console, sun visors, etc) have a cheap look/feel; seats don't have the many adjustments poss w/65 or P AdapSportSeats; no storage bins in car for placing minor items like sunglasses case, garage/gate cards, etc; passenger seat has minimal leg room; instruments are hard to read; gas pedal placement vs center tunnel is nonergonomic; rear seats are utter joke (make P rear seats look useable); minimal trunk space (perhaps should have killed vestigial rear seats for a bigger trunk).

Dynamically, has mysterious traction issues on relatively gentle launch on dry pavement; steering feel is solid, but not P/F-like; mid-range torque for the fairly relevant (at least in CA) 60-100MPH accel is fairly tepid vs those accustomed to 55/65 torque; brake pedal feel is fairly weak vs P/F; handling is solid, not great for a 4000lb GT coupe (much weaker than the 4600lb SL65 or 4300lb 612 in handling).....

To me, DB9 was the epitome of a conglomerate discount....a weak GT car, given its cheap interior finishes, poor interior ergonomics and middling straight-line torque...and a weak sportscar, w/o the brilliant software/hardware steering/chassis/brake tech tricks that 65/612 have successfully used to hide their excess weight.....

DB9, w/its great exterior looks, impressive exhaust note and relative rarity, does make for a great cars-as-costume jewelry car.....
Old 04-14-2006, 01:41 AM

well compared to the aston martin db7 (especially the convertible) it's definately an upgrade.. the interior on the db7 was absolutely tragic for the price..

Originally Posted by WSH
Drove a colleague's DB9 Coupe a 100 mis or so through various urban/suburban straight-line and fwy settings.....was underwhelmed on various fronts by DB9.....first, key fob is straight out of the Ford parts bin; many of the interior finishes (door handles, turn signal levers, center console, sun visors, etc) have a cheap look/feel; seats don't have the many adjustments poss w/65 or P AdapSportSeats; no storage bins in car for placing minor items like sunglasses case, garage/gate cards, etc; passenger seat has minimal leg room; instruments are hard to read; gas pedal placement vs center tunnel is nonergonomic; rear seats are utter joke (make P rear seats look useable); minimal trunk space (perhaps should have killed vestigial rear seats for a bigger trunk).

Dynamically, has mysterious traction issues on relatively gentle launch on dry pavement; steering feel is solid, but not P/F-like; mid-range torque for the fairly relevant (at least in CA) 60-100MPH accel is fairly tepid vs those accustomed to 55/65 torque; brake pedal feel is fairly weak vs P/F; handling is solid, not great for a 4000lb GT coupe (much weaker than the 4600lb SL65 or 4300lb 612 in handling).....

To me, DB9 was the epitome of a conglomerate discount....a weak GT car, given its cheap interior finishes, poor interior ergonomics and middling straight-line torque...and a weak sportscar, w/o the brilliant software/hardware steering/chassis/brake tech tricks that 65/612 have successfully used to hide their excess weight.....

DB9, w/its great exterior looks, impressive exhaust note and relative rarity, does make for a great cars-as-costume jewelry car.....