SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Kleeman or Rentech?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kleeman or Rentech?

Well they both seem about equal. I was just wondering if theres anything I should know about either of them that would sway my opinion over one or the other. I'm gonna do the ecu,pulley, and headers kit on my 05 SL55. Gotta choose one, so i'm leaning towards the kleeman K2 kit. What do you guys think?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
I just did that same setup (along with a larger IC pump and LSD). I used Renntech components and am very happy. The quality of the components is excellent. I think Renntech may be a little more expensive than Kleemann however.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 RENNtech E60RS
I can't speak to Kleeman as I have never dealt with that firm. I can say something about RENNtech, though, as I have owned a RENNtech E60RS for almost 7 years and a RENNtech ML60RS for 16 months. In both cases, the RENNtech work has been totally reliable with not a blip of trouble and has vastly increased performance without compromising comfort or driveability (no overheating, etc.). Yes, RENNtech is expensive, but in this case I believe that you are getting your money's worth. As soon as I put some more miles on the 2004 SL600 that I just got, I will bring it to RENNtech in Lake Park, FL so Hartmut and his techs can work their magic on it as they have with the SL's two garage mates.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
RENNtech all the way!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 AM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
What i know about Reentech, i know from this forum, and i never read anything bad about them. Though, i am a Kleemann guy. I am very pleased with the kit, the service, the looks of the work, and not to forget, the performance.

I would recomend Kleemann, because KLEEMANN RULES.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:14 AM

Mommy drives a '93 Opel Astra
get the kleemann

me, too. kleemanns have the best look of all tuned mercedes, especially the scissor doors. And from what i have read the performance kits by kleemann seem to be real rubber killers.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:21 PM

Well I think I'll stick with Kleemann. I haven't really heard anything bad about them yet. Is it true that I should have Kleemann install a new water pump also? I've heard on the board that the water pump in these engines are prone to failure??
Old 04-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
This seems to be the question of the century. I have been studying and debating the issue myself. Both companies seem to be quite reputable. Cory at Kleemann is a terrific guy to work with. The one thing that makes me lean toward RENNtech is the fact that when they install headers, they do not remove any O2 sensors or cats and leave all emission equipment in place. It is my understanding that Kleemann removes the primary cats and O2 sensors, and then welds the exhaust pipes together where they were cut out. They then program the ECU to not look for the 1st set of O2 sensors, preventing a check engine light. This procedure may be OK, but it does make it more difficult to put it back into a stock configuration if necessary. One other thing to consider is it may be against state and federal law to remove any emission equipment. Are there any attorneys in the house who could comment on this?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 AM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Originally Posted by can drive 55
This seems to be the question of the century. I have been studying and debating the issue myself. Both companies seem to be quite reputable. Cory at Kleemann is a terrific guy to work with. The one thing that makes me lean toward RENNtech is the fact that when they install headers, they do not remove any O2 sensors or cats and leave all emission equipment in place. It is my understanding that Kleemann removes the primary cats and O2 sensors, and then welds the exhaust pipes together where they were cut out. They then program the ECU to not look for the 1st set of O2 sensors, preventing a check engine light. This procedure may be OK, but it does make it more difficult to put it back into a stock configuration if necessary. One other thing to consider is it may be against state and federal law to remove any emission equipment. Are there any attorneys in the house who could comment on this?
I dont know where you got that from, but it is not true. Kleemann headers have nippels for the O2 ( lambda ) sensors, and they do refit them. Only if the customer dont want to fit a new Kleemann exhaust, they have to remove the front cats. Kleemann exhaust have race cats, and do to any extension meet the emission requrements demanded by the DOT.
Even when re-using the OEM exhaust system, with front cats removed, it still does meet the EURO 3 norm ( with all cats fitted, meets EURO 4 ).

The Kleemann headers are designed for maximum flow and power, and that involves longer downpipes to the exhaust. I doubt that any headers designed to fit in with the OEM exhaust, does give any significant increase in power.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I got that info from reading posts on the subject in the E55 forum. I guess a call to Corey is in order. If what you say is true, then I would tend to favor Kleemann.