SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: help me decide,AMGers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me decide,AMGers

----****From the sl forum, where i got a little help.......
For me its a difficult choice.(which to buy, sl55amg,sl600,sl550,or slk55amg)
f.i. How much MORE satisfaction would I get out of an sl than the slk55?
I dont know!
Sure, id prefer the sl, but even then....which one!
the new generation motor in the 7spd sl550 is said to be a marriage made in heaven, is that true, romeo550?
have you driven the 55amg, and if so how much better did you find it than your new 550? probably not much, since your machine is said to be a fantastic car as is.
So im inclined, at times, to get a new 550, load it up to the max with options, and be glad that i didnt get the amg car which cannot be had with the cool shiny wooden steering wheel, for one.
looking ffrom here those extra-buffeted amg seats look like overkill, the standard seat is said to be excellent.
nevertheless, if you wanted the fastest machine then why wouldnt you also want the maximum torque? which the sl600 has, not the 55amg.
I keep reading that the sl55amg is the so-called "driver car" but is that really true in comparison to the sl600?
How so?
Just check EVO mag and you will see that the 600 blew away the 55amg on the track, and the slk55 beat them both!
(ok, im exagerating, but the order is true!)
So why bother with the 55amg if its all just hype (in comparison to 12 cyl models)
Anyway, I can get any one of these cars, and Im here mainly to hear from the people who already own them, to explain the reasons they made the choices they did. (assuming you could spend up to140K or so)
???
Ive never had a Mercedes and cant see the reasons to select one from another, other than the obvious reasons (this model comes with this option, and that model comes with that option, but not these, etc)
these options alone may indeed be the factors, but id like to know about the satisfaction they bring you..
tanx
To sl55amg owners: why did you pass on the extra torquey sl600?
What was so unsatisfactory about the slk55amg that you effectively gave away a brand new corvette in order to own your sl instead???
Old 12-06-2006, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by benzworshiper
For me its a difficult choice.(which to buy, sl55amg,sl600,sl550,or slk55amg)
To sl55amg owners: why did you pass on the extra torquey sl600?
What was so unsatisfactory about the slk55amg that you effectively gave away a brand new corvette in order to own your sl instead???

My advice--not that you asked--would be to take extended test drives in all the cars. The cars are different, in some ways subtle and in other ways more in your face.

For me personally, the SL cabin trumped all the other virtues of the SLK. And, yes, my value function was such that I was willing to give away a new Corvette simply to have the SL cabin around me while I was driving.

Choosing the 55 over the 500 was easy. I've not driven a 550 and it is faster, so that might be a tougher call now.

The 55 over the 600 was almost splitting hairs. To me, the 55 handles slightly better. Others claim the difference isn't noticeable. The 600 has better acceleration but for me the 55 accelerated fast enough.

As a result, I wound up going with the 55 and simply could not be happier. But for you, something else might be a better fit. There's just no single right answer for everyone.

Good luck and have fun with the process!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Which SL

I posted to you in the SL forum too.

But since you are in AMG land now.
Have a few other things too add.

AMG=Hand Built high quality engine.
AMG=AMG Resale Value above the 600

Sure you can mod a 600. But its not an AMG quality
car and engine.

SL55 exhaust sound has a wonderful appeal to it.
Old supercar sound from the 70`s. It really roars.
I love all the AMG goodies. Seats, Brakes, Pedals, Etc.
Since I own one I am biased.

My friend has a SL600.
It is way more quiet pull. About the same as far as quickness.
More smooth power. Not as snappy on the throttle.
But much more nose heavy. Different car in the turns.
Difference in balance and weight shift.
600`s lose value quicker and are more expensive to maintain. IMHO.

You mentioned this in your SL post.
"I suppose some of you stopped at 500/550 due to financial reasons, thats not really my problem"

Dude. If $$$ not an issue. SL65. SL65. Say again. SL65
My SL55 is humbled in its presence.
I have driven a couple of them. The tourque is so intense you
need to hold on to the steering wheel real hard. Seriously !!
Played with one at the AMG Challenge. Holy Sh*t. Scarry fast

If you got the coin. Drop for the SL65.

Enjoy your new Benz and report back what you decide to purchase.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 PM

SL65 AMG
I know what you are going through, I started with an e55 and 8 months later went to the sl65. My main reason was I needed more speed. The 55 sounds great and feels really fast and the 65 is smooth and does not feel as fast to me. I miss the sound and feel of the 55 but the 65 does have many a good things. My wife thought I bought a slower car when i took her out in the 65. It was not until the the drag strip that she saw the 65 was about .7 seconds quicker then my e55. Like I said it is a different car so I am sure the 600 is the same. If you like something that kicks you back in your seat and people will feel the power go 55 if you want something that is smooth as can be go 65 or 600.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Guys...before we profess the virtues of the SL55, the buyer has stated that the frustrating point for him about the 55 is that "you can't get a shiney wooden steering wheel".

That should close the case.......get the 550...you can have a wooden steering wheel, chrome wheels and all the rest of the bling without the harshness of the great exhaust note, the improved ABC and a chassis that really works with you. You don't have to worry about more supportive seats, as well as the rest of the features that really dial in the SL55 as a driver's car, oh and did I say the ability to order the 030 package. And you don't have to worry about keeping up with Z06's at the track, because chances are the closest you will come to a road course is the off ramp to the valet stand.

Nothing against you, but I think you will be happier with an SL550...its a great car and you can have a wooden wheel! SOLD!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:01 PM

SL55, Cayenne S, Tundra, 360 spider
Originally Posted by bltserv
I posted to you in the SL forum too.

But since you are in AMG land now.
Have a few other things too add.

AMG=Hand Built high quality engine.
AMG=AMG Resale Value above the 600

Sure you can mod a 600. But its not an AMG quality
car and engine.

SL55 exhaust sound has a wonderful appeal to it.
Old supercar sound from the 70`s. It really roars.
I love all the AMG goodies. Seats, Brakes, Pedals, Etc.
Since I own one I am biased.

My friend has a SL600.
It is way more quiet pull. About the same as far as quickness.
More smooth power. Not as snappy on the throttle.
But much more nose heavy. Different car in the turns.
Difference in balance and weight shift.
600`s lose value quicker and are more expensive to maintain. IMHO.

You mentioned this in your SL post.
"I suppose some of you stopped at 500/550 due to financial reasons, thats not really my problem"

Played with one at the AMG Challenge. Holy Sh*t. Scarry fast

Enjoy your new Benz and report back what you decide to purchase.
DITTO to what he said !
Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hello buddy
Friend named Juice It is selling his SL65 I believe for a good price, have you looked into it?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by bltserv
SL65 is too slow in quick turns due to its bad weight distribution. The SL 55 kills the SL65 on every sophisticated track like the Nuerburgring. Also, compared to the SL 600 and the SL 55, the SL 65 is way too expensive IMO and depreciates at the speed of light.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 PM

05 SL 55 AMG, 01 Turbusa/8.43 @ 183..1/4 mi.
Originally Posted by Sharkster
SL65 is too slow in quick turns due to its bad weight distribution. The SL 55 kills the SL65 on every sophisticated track like the Nuerburgring. Also, compared to the SL 600 and the SL 55, the SL 65 is way too expensive IMO and depreciates at the speed of light.
That is really a non-issue with folks that have real money............oops, excuse me, I mean REAL MONEY, .................words like "depreciation", and "expensive" and even "too"............do not exist.

30 grand is a quiet week-end for the class I am referring to............

I bow to the SL 65............with a nod to the SL 600..............

(Still luv my -55)

Dave

P.S. Spied a brand-new CL500 on the way to work yesterday..........still had paper tags........car was beautiful.......and very black.

Last edited by SuperDave; 12-07-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I'd get SL65!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55
Dude. If $$$ not an issue. SL65. SL65. Say again. SL65.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Pick up a slightly used SL65.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Sharkster
Pick up a new or used SL65!

Too slow in quick turns due to its bad weight distribution? If I cared to fix the weight difference between the SL55 and SL65 I would go on a diet.

Since we don't drive our cars on the Neurburgring this should not be an issue. Are you speaking from experience on the handling differences? I have owned both a SL55 and now have a SL65. The weight balance between the two cars is very similar. With more seat time, I find it hard to believe that a pro driver could not lap quicker in a SL65 than a SL55. I just don't but it.

On another note.... let's not forget, these cars are not race cars. If you want a track car, but a GT3. That's what I did.

Cheers!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM

you guys make me laugh!
ok,thanks very helpful. You should know, i can live without the shiny black steering wheel, already im ready to trade it for the 55 racy sound- Varooooom!
besides, the *****s wont let you have the black wood with most interior choices, you got to get red or brown (lim ed, used) leather to dodge the brown wood wheels, im tending towards the lighter colors inside and out.
dont think i need to worry about zo6s, if i wanted a race car id get a ferrari or something, not looking to beat cars in high speed races or impress with red pointy rides,
probably the 550 would be enough for me, but the more i hear about that amg thing the more i want it
So yer you're right, got to get in them and ghive it a go
To that end im headed to the west coast soon, where i suppose i can more easily find the amg vehicles to try, correct?
can you advise, location? prefer to avoid smoglands like LA if possible, all the treffic,congestion is a put off,
Thinking of flying into San Fran, are there any shops specializing in selling the amg cars? used is ok to try, but i'll most likely be buying new
Or should i fly to Seattle, much of a selection there?
Never been out west, have no idea wats hapnin there, like, here they stock the 550s and such, you want a v12 or amg then order first!
OK then, many thanks fellas, ill think it over!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:15 PM

SL600 is by far the fastests of the 4, so why is this even a problem? SL55 owners are dillusional if they think their SL55 can keep up with a stock SL600, much less a chipped one. Why don't you guys compare both the 1/4 mile times and track times for both cars and then start making silly comments like: "SL55 is better balanced! It will be much faster than SL600 on track!", "SL55 accelerates as fast or even faster from a dig than SL600", and my favorite "SL55 is an AMG, this makes it (somehow) better than SL600". Guys, face the facts, SL600 is faster on both the track and the drag strip, there is plenty of data to back it up. Not only that, its much easier to modify and only requires a chip to bring out its full potential, while the SL55 requires ecu, pulley, cams, headers, etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
there u go again dude
Old 12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Tuskir
SL600 is by far the fastests of the 4, so why is this even a problem? SL55 owners are dillusional if they think their SL55 can keep up with a stock SL600, much less a chipped one. Why don't you guys compare both the 1/4 mile times and track times for both cars and then start making silly comments like: "SL55 is better balanced! It will be much faster than SL600 on track!", "SL55 accelerates as fast or even faster from a dig than SL600", and my favorite "SL55 is an AMG, this makes it (somehow) better than SL600". Guys, face the facts, SL600 is faster on both the track and the drag strip, there is plenty of data to back it up. Not only that, its much easier to modify and only requires a chip to bring out its full potential, while the SL55 requires ecu, pulley, cams, headers, etc.
Dude, it's not about figures and numbers. It's about image and emotion.

Let me put it bluntly, SL550 and SL600 are more for "the succesful old fart" and the SL55 AMG is more for the succesful dynamic youngster. And as a bonus it sounds like a ****. The SL65 is the absolute cream of the crop with ditto pricetag: 12 cylinders for the "old farts" but enough AMG to keep you feling young. It's all about image, and has nothing to do with the actual numbers.

And the SL65 doesn't only depreciate at light speed. It also accelerates to light speed as a compensation.

Please not that I use the term "old fart" lightly and to get a point across. If you still feel insulted first check the forum you are in before flaming me. Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bipasha493
there u go again dude
Tuskir forgot the carbon-fiber airbox..........and the larger IC pump.......and the fact that the 55 looks better than the -600 or the -65.............but, ya know what?????

I luv buildin' up my own stuff, the fact that the -55 is so buildable, tells me it is OverBuilt...........and that is a Great thing when ya want to last, IMO.

The -65 has already been built for the most part......a lazy-man's car, IMO.

But then again, I am prejudiced.)

Dave

Last edited by SuperDave; 12-13-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
The only problem is the trolls that are not satisfied with their SLK's...

~ Ian
Old 12-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by IanSL55
The only problem is the trolls that are not satisfied with their SLK's...

~ Ian
The problem is that SL55 owners are misinforming people that their car is better than the SL600 or in some cases, even SL65! SLK was not even mentioned here by the way. I mean c'mon, some people like SuperDave will go as far as saying their SL55 looks better than SL65! How the heck does the SL55 look better than SL65? If you are given a choice between a V12 bi-turbo and a supercharged V8 in the same body, a logical conclusion is to pick the V12 bi-turbo, period. SL55 owners seem to think that their car is the "best SL"... there was even a thread a few days ago how "SL55 is faster than SL65!". Sorry SL55 owners, but this is just blatant misinformation and denial of truth.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
...Guys, face the facts, SL600 is faster on both the track and the drag strip, there is plenty of data to back it up...
Well, not even the SL65 can lap the Nurburgring as fast as an SL55. (http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...ID=0&tID=10073)

A stock 55 would toast a stock 600 on the Ring.

On a less technical track it's possible that a 600 would beat a 55, although I haven't seen numbers that actually prove it.

...If you are given a choice between a V12 bi-turbo and a supercharged V8 in the same body, a logical conclusion is to pick the V12 bi-turbo, period....
Since the SL55 really does handle better than an SL65 or SL600, that's not an obvious conclusion to me.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:32 PM

I see you are quoting the website from the "Which is faster...SL55 or SL65... you'll be surprised" thread. Why did you forget to include that SL65 is faster on Hockenheim short track? Not only that, I happen to have November 04 issue of Car and Driver's "Supercar shootout" that features both Kleemann K3 SL55 and Renntech SL600. All tires used had to meet specific guidelines too.

Pages 63-64

Kleemann K3 SL55
1/4 mile: 12.5 @ 114mph
Road Course: 50.0 seconds
150-0 braking: 736 feet
Total Course Time: 110.3 seconds

Renntech SL600 (not SL65!)
1/4 mile: 11.8 @ 121mph
Road Course: 50.5
150-0 braking: 712 feet
Total Course Time: 106.0 seconds

This was done the same track, same day, same driver. Nurburging times vary widely for all cars depends on track conditions (rain anyone?) and drivers. Few seconds under different conditions mean nothing on a 8+ minute track. On the same day, with the dame driver, there is no question SL65 would lap the ring faster than SL55.

Last edited by Tuskir; 12-13-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
The problem is that SL55 owners are misinforming people that their car is better than the SL600 or in some cases, even SL65! SLK was not even mentioned here by the way. I mean c'mon, some people like SuperDave will go as far as saying their SL55 looks better than SL65! How the heck does the SL55 look better than SL65? If you are given a choice between a V12 bi-turbo and a supercharged V8 in the same body, a logical conclusion is to pick the V12 bi-turbo, period. SL55 owners seem to think that their car is the "best SL"... there was even a thread a few days ago how "SL55 is faster than SL65!". Sorry SL55 owners, but this is just blatant misinformation and denial of truth.
OH... that's the problem! SL55 owners misinforming people... We should get some type of joint task force on that issue ASAP. Might even push world hunger and genocide in Darfur off the priority list...

But seriously... I could have got a SL600 over my SL55 at the same price and I didn't... Why? Because for me, the SL55 is a better car. If someone asked me which is better I'd tell them that as well... Heck, I think it's better than a SLR as well. But that's the beauty of choice...

Now I wonder... do you get angry at E55 owners who state their cars have more HP than SL55's as well? Do you go to the E55 section and chastize them? Because I own them both and I can tell you straight up, on a dyno... my SL55 edges my E55. Does that make my SL55 better than my E55?! No. Again, it's a matter of personal opinion.

~ Ian

PS: I would not take the body of a SL65. Can't stand the vents by the front wheels. TACKY.

Last edited by IanSL55; 12-14-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
I see you are quoting the website from the "Which is faster...SL55 or SL65... you'll be surprised" thread. Why did you forget to include that SL65 is faster on Hockenheim short track? Not only that, I happen to have November 04 issue of Car and Driver's "Supercar shootout" that features both Kleemann K3 SL55 and Renntech SL600. All tires used had to meet specific guidelines too.

Pages 63-64

Kleemann K3 SL55
1/4 mile: 12.5 @ 114mph
Road Course: 50.0 seconds
150-0 braking: 736 feet
Total Course Time: 110.3 seconds

Renntech SL600 (not SL65!)
1/4 mile: 11.8 @ 121mph
Road Course: 50.5
150-0 braking: 712 feet
Total Course Time: 106.0 seconds

This was done the same track, same day, same driver.
I didn't forget about Hockenheim, I was making a point about the SL55 running faster laps at the Nurburgring. Hockenheim is a less technical track. A stock SL65 beats a stock SL55 on Hockenhem every time.

But your original post--the one to which I was responding--was about stock SL55s and stock SL600s.

The German magazine, Sport Auto, ran the SL600 and SL55 at Hockenheim. Same day. Same driver. The SL55 lapped the course in 1:15.9 minutes while the SL600 took 1:17.6 minutes.

Do you have figures showing a stock SL600 beating a stock SL55 on any track, anywhere?

Nurburging times vary widely for all cars depends on track conditions (rain anyone?) and drivers. Few seconds under different conditions mean nothing on a 8+ minute track. On the same day, with the dame driver, there is no question SL65 would lap the ring faster than SL55.
The SL65 has 200 extra pounds on the front axle compared to the SL55. Same driver, same day, same track, the SL65 will always be slower exiting a tight corner than an SL55 because of the extra mass out front. The SL600 will lag the SL55 even more because of its softer suspension coupled with the extra mass.

That's the physics of it and the track times line up with the physics. It was Sport Auto that posted the 8:06 Ring time for the SL55 and the 8:14 time for the SL65. I'm sure they took their best shot both days and I doubt it was raining when they ran the 65.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 AM

SL
Originally Posted by sprins
Dude, it's not about figures and numbers. It's about image and emotion.

Let me put it bluntly, SL550 and SL600 are more for "the succesful old fart" and the SL55 AMG is more for the succesful dynamic youngster. And as a bonus it sounds like a ****. The SL65 is the absolute cream of the crop with ditto pricetag: 12 cylinders for the "old farts" but enough AMG to keep you feling young. It's all about image, and has nothing to do with the actual numbers.

And the SL65 doesn't only depreciate at light speed. It also accelerates to light speed as a compensation.

Please not that I use the term "old fart" lightly and to get a point across. If you still feel insulted first check the forum you are in before flaming me. Thanks
i would still take 55 even if it's obviously slower than 600.... i guess just because of the sportier look... guess i dun wanna spend another fortune on the kit and everything after spending so much on a 600...
Old 12-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by phonetics
i would still take 55 even if it's obviously slower than 600.... i guess just because of the sportier look... guess i dun wanna spend another fortune on the kit and everything after spending so much on a 600...
Buy a 2 year old SL55 with 4-5 K on the odometer for 90K or so and put 10K or less in the ECU-Pulley Mod and the IC/Intercooler Kit by RennTech and have 100 K in a car that makes 550 HP consistently on 93 pump.

That is what we are doin' even now, and it is fun.

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: help me decide,AMGers