SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: astons...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL65
astons...

please tell me your thoughts on the 2007 aston line.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by david_101
please tell me your thoughts on the 2007 aston line.
I think they look good, are well built, but lack the punch to attract performance-oriented enthusiasts. If performance is not your priority, they do have more style and uniqueness than the competition...
Old 12-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 CLK 430, 2006 SL 55, 2006 Range Rover Sport, 2006 F-150 Super Crew
I totally agree. They are some of the most beautiful cars on the road. They sound amazing, and look just as good. While they may not have super car status they are not exactly slow. What is not to like about them, other than maybe the price....?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:35 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
My next door neighbor has a DB9 Volante and like the SL65 they have dropped like a rock. They still have room to go down but will soon be decent deals. They have great looks but lack a few simple things like garage door openers and auto dimming rear view mirrors and Sat radio (his complaint) The vantage looks more like the Vanquish and is cheaper but now you can get a used DB9 for the same money and you get the V12. Personally I thing the Bentley Cont.GT is a better made car with a nicer interior but the Astons have the looks over pretty much everything out. As far as service Aston comes to his house to pick his car up for anything. He hasn't had any real problems but hasn't put many miles on either.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I bought an '06 V8 Vantage. It is a great car. Easily one of the best looking cars on the road. Fit and finish is great, the interior is a work of art........and did I say that it sounds incredible......well it does.

From the performance side, their target was he 911.....and I think that they hit it.....spot on. If you think 380hp is slow...perhaps I missed you racing last weekend on TV. As an FCA track events coordinator and instructor, I have seen the quality of the drivers of most high performance, high HP cars...and I can tell you that they don't need more HP, they need driver's schools.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:51 AM

2005 SL65
daily driver?

before you jump on me for asking whether any aston could be used for a daily driver...

my GF's finally over her lexus sc430...which is just fne by me. the tough part is deciding what should replace it. she really likes the astons. and what better resource is there for honest info than you?

awaiting your replies.

thanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:00 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The DB9 gets 1/2 the attention the Bentley gets even though IMO the AM looks better and the Bentley is more common here in LA....The Vantage looks GREAT...but is kinda small...still I may take a look at one.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
before you jump on me for asking whether any aston could be used for a daily driver...
I drove the DB9 and the V8 Vantage. I'd say the Vantage is a proper and practical Daily Driver™. The DB9 felt, for me, too hardcore. And too stiff and unrelaxed. DB9 is beautiful of course, but the V8 Vantage was so easy to drive and comfortable. And it's just as pretty.

And, without wanting to imply anything, I reckon a V8 Vantage (convertible?) would fit a girl/woman better than a DB9 (or Vanquish). I think it owuld be the perfect car for your GF
Old 12-17-2006, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
How is the reliability of Astons?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:59 AM

more of the same. they got it right in the looks dept., and theyr holding on to it for dear life. but even the vanquish 6.0, 12 cyl, 520hp, 0-60 in 4.8sec - thats kind of slow. all the other models do it in 4.9sec. in order to be successfull they have to break the 3 sec mark, at least with the vanquish
Old 12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by mannnu81
more of the same. they got it right in the looks dept., and theyr holding on to it for dear life. but even the vanquish 6.0, 12 cyl, 520hp, 0-60 in 4.8sec - thats kind of slow. all the other models do it in 4.9sec. in order to be successfull they have to break the 3 sec mark, at least with the vanquish
4.8 to 60 is slow? Have you ever experienced it? Unless I missed you racing on TV last weekend, you have no idea what you are talking about. There is also more to the driving experience than 0-60...or just hammering the gas. These are sports cars that shine in the hands of a good driver on a windy road.......as does the SL55.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:55 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
4.8 to 60 is slow? Have you ever experienced it? Unless I missed you racing on TV last weekend, you have no idea what you are talking about. There is also more to the driving experience than 0-60...or just hammering the gas. These are sports cars that shine in the hands of a good driver on a windy road.......as does the SL55.

I agree this is how it should be but like others I am guilty of looking at the 0-60, 1/4 mile etc. at all the cars in the category I am interrested in and even though in the real world it doesn't mean anything, psychologically I would have a problem if the car I wanted was slower than the rest of the competition especially in the 200k category. Sometimes there is no chance to test these cars before buying and that is all their is to go by. The Vanquish is by no means slow but compared to a 599 or an SL65 it would come in last in everything.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:16 PM

0-60 in 4.8 seconds is what an M3 can do, so yes, it is slow. In the 1/4 mile, DB9 is stuck in 13's, so it is slow compared to its competition. When you have similar priced gallardos, Ford GT's, and 911 turbo's that do 0-60 in 3's and 1/4 mile in 12 flat (or even faster), DB9 doesn't look very appealing from a performance perspective. Also, DB9's handling does not even come close to cars like Gallardo, Ford GT, and 911 turbo. Have you never read a DB9 comparison? Its always last.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Tuskir
0-60 in 4.8 seconds is what an M3 can do, so yes, it is slow. In the 1/4 mile, DB9 is stuck in 13's, so it is slow compared to its competition. When you have similar priced gallardos, Ford GT's, and 911 turbo's that do 0-60 in 3's and 1/4 mile in 12 flat (or even faster), DB9 doesn't look very appealing from a performance perspective. Also, DB9's handling does not even come close to cars like Gallardo, Ford GT, and 911 turbo. Have you never read a DB9 comparison? Its always last.
But damn they are beautiful.

Vanquish S on a highway roll is probably some beast.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Db9

Just ended a relationship with a DB9 Volante. It belonged to my boss, but I bought and sold it for him and drove it on more than one occassion. It is beautiful to look at and I found the interior quite comfortable although the visibility fore and aft and side to side is poor. The Limm audio system is a disappointment and this car had the most expensive version. More rattles and buzzes than I expected. Handling was not good, although the more recent cars with the sport package is supposed to be better. The DB9 seems reluctant at first turn-in and the weight makes tight cornering a chore. Steering is heavy and lifeless. The engine makes great noises but the weight retards acceleration. Brakes have a wooden feel that is not pleasant in operation. I wondered why the car was supplied with a trickle charger for the battery and two days after we took delivery, the battery died. Of course, the battery is located in the trunk and the lock is electrically activated, so the rear seats had to be removed to open the trunk to jump start the car. Lack of a sunroof in the interior made it feel like a cave. The leather on the seats was plush and thick, but also very hot in the summer. The starting sequence makes little sense- why insert a key in the ignition and turn it only to have to push a button to complete it? Opening the doors from the exterior took patience because of the very small lever.

My advice is to buy yourself a picture of an Aston Martin and hang it in your living room.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
6 Series

Have you considered the BMW 6 series for your girlfriend? Sure, they are pretty ugly from the rear but they do drive well.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by shoes
Just ended a relationship with a DB9 Volante. It belonged to my boss, but I bought and sold it for him and drove it on more than one occassion. It is beautiful to look at and I found the interior quite comfortable although the visibility fore and aft and side to side is poor. The Limm audio system is a disappointment and this car had the most expensive version. More rattles and buzzes than I expected. Handling was not good, although the more recent cars with the sport package is supposed to be better. The DB9 seems reluctant at first turn-in and the weight makes tight cornering a chore. Steering is heavy and lifeless. The engine makes great noises but the weight retards acceleration. Brakes have a wooden feel that is not pleasant in operation. I wondered why the car was supplied with a trickle charger for the battery and two days after we took delivery, the battery died. Of course, the battery is located in the trunk and the lock is electrically activated, so the rear seats had to be removed to open the trunk to jump start the car. Lack of a sunroof in the interior made it feel like a cave. The leather on the seats was plush and thick, but also very hot in the summer. The starting sequence makes little sense- why insert a key in the ignition and turn it only to have to push a button to complete it? Opening the doors from the exterior took patience because of the very small lever.

My advice is to buy yourself a picture of an Aston Martin and hang it in your living room.

Lack of a sunroof in a Volante?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:47 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Sunroof

Sorry, I was thinking of my experience in the DB9 coupe I almost bought.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 PM

2005 SL65
shoes...

the choice of car isn't mine, though i'd prefer she get something somewhat less exotic, somewhat more durable, and of course more practical in the real world as a daily driver.
but what do i know?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:43 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
So very very true. Lateral Gs are much more fun and also require more skill. Also require a track day from time to time to keep the skills honed.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:12 PM

my quickest is 4.2 sec, by manufactures claims and a couple other 4.5-4.9's. but from that price range i'd expect a little more. just my opinion
Old 12-22-2006, 06:38 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by Juice it
I agree this is how it should be but like others I am guilty of looking at the 0-60, 1/4 mile etc. at all the cars in the category I am interrested in and even though in the real world it doesn't mean anything, psychologically I would have a problem if the car I wanted was slower than the rest of the competition especially in the 200k category. Sometimes there is no chance to test these cars before buying and that is all their is to go by. The Vanquish is by no means slow but compared to a 599 or an SL65 it would come in last in everything.
I'm pretty much the same way... though in the end, I think many of these cars owners end up driving the cars slow... as in "head turning slow".

~ Ian
Old 12-27-2006, 07:09 AM

My dad has a '06 V8 Vantage that he uses as a DD except during Winters (Boston) So sweet. Would take over an SL any day. The inside is spectacular, as is the audio system. Have had no problems as of yet, with 4,500 miles on it already. He has black/black, loaded. The sound the thing makes is real nice. Transmission so smooth. Can drive in 4th gear at 15 mph if you want and it doesn't even flinch. There's just too many SL's out there if you ask me, although I'd take one in a second lol
Old 12-27-2006, 08:08 AM

2005 SL65
arnst19...

thanks for the positive testimonial, which i just forwarded to my GF.

we were in palm beach for the weekend and intended to visit jasguar/aston on quadrille, near the courthouse, but we were late leaving the hotel on tuesday morning and had to boogie back to lauderdale.

we'll get in a test soon.

thanks again.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 PM

thanks for the positive testimonial, which i just forwarded to my GF.

we were in palm beach for the weekend and intended to visit jasguar/aston on quadrille, near the courthouse, but we were late leaving the hotel on tuesday morning and had to boogie back to lauderdale.

we'll get in a test soon.

thanks again.

Yes, I would certainly reccomend a test drive (although my Dad didn't...took one look at it and said 'Sold') because the biggest thing you have to get used to is the windshield/point of view. Its different from the SL and many other cars, can seem of awkward at first. Just be forwarned- you very well may go in intending on a test drive, and walk out with the keys to it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: astons...