SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Considering M6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL55 (sold),05 SL55, 09 SL63, 07 C2S cab Porsche,
Considering M6

I''ve owned and 04 and currently own a 05 SL55. I'm getting the itch and considering the M6. Test drove a convertable today and thought it was a good ride all around especially the SMG shifting. I used to own an 03 M3 and thought it was a very good car at it's price point. However, I still enjoy the SL55 but I'm asking for input on what all of you think of the M6.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
BMW did a great job with the M6. It's an outstanding car. Most reports peg it as handling somewhat better than the SL55 and, as you pointed out, it has an SMG tranny for those drivers who want to shift their own gears.

I'm personally a little cool on the M6 styling whereas I think the current SL is terrific. I also prefer the SL's hard top to the M6's soft top. The SL's automatic also fits well with how I use the car as my daily driver.

My take is there are no bad choices here. Switch to the M6 if you are ready for a change or want to row your own gears or stick with the SL if you're not quite sold.

Originally Posted by Xeron
I''ve owned and 04 and currently own a 05 SL55. I'm getting the itch and considering the M6. Test drove a convertable today and thought it was a good ride all around especially the SMG shifting. I used to own an 03 M3 and thought it was a very good car at it's price point. However, I still enjoy the SL55 but I'm asking for input on what all of you think of the M6.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
A couple things give me pause when thinking about the M6.

1. Jerky SMG which i've heard a lot about

2. 383 lb-feet torque

That said, i've been meaning to test drive one for a while and see how it is for myself.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Murtaza

2. 383 lb-feet torque

That said, i've been meaning to test drive one for a while and see how it is for myself.

SMG is only jerky if you don't know how to handle a manual transmission car ... i used to own an M3 SMGII, awesome hard shifts if you were driving aggressive ... would knock your head back.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Whatever I feel like
I drove the coupe and the M6 is a great car, the SMG is top notch. It's faster than it feels and rides very nice. Styling is nice but, it's lack of torque left me wanting more. The only color combo I would consider for a convertible M6 is black on black.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Mrdredd
SMG is only jerky if you don't know how to handle a manual transmission car ... i used to own an M3 SMGII, awesome hard shifts if you were driving aggressive ... would knock your head back.
Just saying what I heard, some of it is from people who have driven manual all their life.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 PM

Angry Considering M6

Early last year I purchased a new M5, which has basically the same drivetrain. I couldn't wait to dump the car (owned it for 3 months) - SMG was not very good and I would get around 190 miles to a tank of fuel. iDrive is terrible. All in all there were many issues that made the M5 lacking, even though the handling and brakes were quite good (better than my sl550). BTW - I've owned many standard transmission cars (911, m3, etc.) and 3 SMG-like cars (maserati, M3, and M5). SMG doesn't compare with DSG - even BMW is rumored to be dumping SMG in favor of DSG in the not too distant future.

Of all the problems the M5 has, the worst was the range on a tank of fuel (which I believe is about the same for the M6) - it was truly horrible. Imagine having to worry about the fuel level almost constantly - it significantly detracts from the "fun" factor.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
M6 is a great car. If i can find a good used one i'd consider one myself as the G is in the process of being sold. 383lb/ft is a lot of torque. Not compared to AMG's it isn't but it's as much as the new Ferrari's and they're certainly not lacking for power. I've driven a friends and the handling is great. Not Carrera levels but the overall package is more luxurious and practical than a P-car. Objectively, I also think it is a lovely looking vehicle.

However, only get the M6 is your after the coupe. The convertible is overweight (making the M-monika rather contradictory) and rather ugly- the 650i makes more sense in convertible form, imo.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by Murtaza

2. 383 lb-feet torque

Those are 2 things that really irritate me about the M5/M6.. Ohhh and the electrical problems. My ex's M5 was in the shop one week out of each month as was my friend's M6.

The coolest thing about the new M's is the seats that hug you on turns. You in essence have a comfy leather seat until you hit a sharp corner and you then feel the seat grab on to you and hold you in place. Scared me at first. lol.

I would take the torque of a supercharged Mercedes over the M5/M6 anyday... And you know what they say, torque's what really matters, not hp.

Mercedes
Old 01-27-2007, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Have an M6 myself, all I can say about the car is terriffic. SMG shifts nicely if you know the trick to change gears smoothly, the V-10 sounds better than any classical music out there and it only gets better approaching redline, ride is definitely on the stiff side, but it rides better than Mercedes, more sporty. I know 383 for torque is a bit low, but you should always keep the powerband up there when driving, a V-10 with 8,250RPM redline doesn't come by too often.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:40 AM

The cars wicked fast. Faster then a stock Sl55 and 996TT. Go out and drive one before making a decision. It's no Benz. By that I mean it's ruffer. That may or may not be what you are looking for. Go out and drive the Sl55/M6 back to back and see which one you like better.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
i think it's a good car but i've seen one in bayridge bmw white convertble and a hard top on a gas station few blocks away also white , it doesnt look that crazy honestly , so much just like the reg 645 650 , i would go for the cl63 , it looks hot , and the best interior you will ever find =]