SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL Black Series coming in 2009 or 2010

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Post SL Black Series coming in 2009 or 2010

One of the newest issues of AutoCar talks about how recently when they visited the AMG factory in Germany, one or more of the head men there were talking about how one of the next Black Series cars will be based on the SL class!! They just haven't decided yet if it will have a V-8 or V-12. And, by the time it comes, AMG might have it's twin-turbo V-8 ready also. Either way, it will be a much more mean machine, and a fixed carbon fiber roof that is said to drop atleast 150 kilograms from the weight just by itself. The car is certain to be alot faster even than the new CLK 63 BS. I know some of you guys will want to buy it for sure.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 PM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
Originally Posted by SL65amg
One of the newest issues of AutoCar talks about how recently when they visited the AMG factory in Germany, one or more of the head men there were talking about how one of the next Black Series cars will be based on the SL class!! They just haven't decided yet if it will have a V-8 or V-12. And, by the time it comes, AMG might have it's twin-turbo V-8 ready also. Either way, it will be a much more mean machine, and a fixed carbon fiber roof that is said to drop atleast 150 kilograms from the weight just by itself. The car is certain to be alot faster even than the new CLK 63 BS. I know some of you guys will want to buy it for sure.
And it will be a limeted edition yada yada yada..... and only the car flippers with $$$$ will get their hands on it first....yada yada yada....few lucky sob's will win the drawing at our lounge site.... Thanks for the info though.
I love my SL55 K2, but seriously wish AMG would make a real drivers car.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
3 years is a long time!!

Not to hijack this thread but....

Scruffy, have you had the RS to the track yet?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 AM

Almost a year ago Rob Allen saw my 997TT at the AMG Challenge. He told me then that AMG would have an answer for that, and an answer to just about any other car out there. I'm not holding my breath. Overly expensive limited edition models keep the cars out of the hands of the real car nuts who really appreciate them for what they are capable of and also take them to the track. Just venting.
I love my SL but my real car lust now belongs to the *** engine slot cars. I got rid of my 997TT last week in favor of a new 997C2S. Gonna make the C2S into my track biatch over the next few months.
If the weather holds tomorrow I am taking the SL55 beast to our Porsche autox at Fort Devens airfield. Should be a real hoot murdering the cones with that 2= ton beast.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Schiznick
3 years is a long time!!

Not to hijack this thread but....

Scruffy, have you had the RS to the track yet?
Yup. April 2 at Lime Rock in Ct. It had rained the night before and the track was wet in the AM. Track was also green as could be because this was only the second time the track was open after being closed for the winter. All sorts of creepy slimy stuff oozes out to the surface over the winter making the track a challenge.
I spun out going into big bend on my second lap so I had to pit. I grabbed an instructor to help me out because the RS was new to me, and the RS does not have ANY stability control, just a very very limited traction control. I was a rolling road block for the balance of the session, pointing everybody by.
Second session started the same way but as the track dried out I was discovering the massive grip of the cup tires. I was just slightly applying the PCCBs before turn in and rocketing out of the turns. Now I was blowing by everybody and lapping quite a few of them. Only driver I could not hold off was a very experienced guy in a 996C2S, had to point him by but not by a lot.
Third session I was on fire and even the F360 was getting lapped. My instructor was going nuts in the passengers seat and my neck was starting to hurt. Cup tires were now howling at some of the turns(bad) but the grip was so huge that I was still powering through the turns.
And then it happened. Tracking out onto noname straight under full power the car came very close to the rumble strip and I quickly found out that the track was a bit green/slippery there. The RS went into instant oversteer.(I was doing over 100) I tried to correct it, even took some of the curse off from it but I knew I was going around so I put both feet in and held on. Tires screamed and I went around and into the infield. Lucky for me that the area I went through used to be swampy but the track had just filled it in with hard packed gravel. Car was now going *** end first into the gravel and the drivers rear quarter slammed into the steel barrier. They pitted all of the other cars and sent the tow truck out. Only when it arrived was I able to get out and look at the damage. Severly mashed plastic bumper cover, badly dinged rear rim but still holding air, and a broken rear control arm. No sheet metal damage though. I was actually able to drive it into the pits, car *** end was going all over the place though. Took me 24 hrs to get it home.
I decided to fix it myself. Put the car up on stands and removed all of the wheels. Sent the drivers side wheels out to be reconditioned and also order same new. Rear was out of round and is now converted into a $1000.00+ hose real. Rear control arm was in stock. Stripped the belly panels and removed many buckets of dirt from the slide. Removed the bumper cover and sent it out to be painted. In less than two weeks I had her all back together and looking like nothing ever happened. Even did a pretty good job of aligning the rear in my driveway.
Had another track day the following Monday so I took it to the dealer for the final alignment. On my way there some 17 year old girl rear ends me. She gets out of her bug with tears rolling down her face. Bumper cover now has a small split in it. I decide that the RS has to stay home, need to let the bad luck fade away and I take the 997TT instead.
Did my first ever autox with the RS last Sat. Had a really good time. The GT3 RS makes the 997TT feel like a fat old road boat. Not quite the same power but the way the RS handles is insane, like a road razor. The 997TT made my SL feel large and heavy, the RS does the same to the 997TT. Traded the 997TT for a 997C2S last week. The 997C2S is less powerfull, but will be better on the track unless it rains.

You're right, this is OT
Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 AM

SLK 55 AMG
That does sound kinda interesting. I think it should have a slightly boosted 63 engine (ECU upgrade with free flowing exhaust) because it's the lightest one and gives a very linear band of revvable power. Brabus already manages 550hp from the 63 engine with an ECU and exhaust. That doesn't even add significantly to the weight of the car.

I know some people don't like the 63 engine that much, but it would allow the 7G gearbox (which I like more then the 5 speed one in the 65), the engine would be quite a bit lighter then the supercharged 55 or twin-turbo charged 65, and simpler too. Plus the high revving nature (the E63 I drove would cut power at 7400rpm or so), is quite fun to play with. I'm sure the ECU mod would also bring torque to the supercharged 55 level.

If this car could be over 200kilos lighter (over 400lb), it would be really good. The SL more then any MB, needs a diet.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Scruffyone
Almost a year ago Rob Allen saw my 997TT at the AMG Challenge. He told me then that AMG would have an answer for that, and an answer to just about any other car out there. I'm not holding my breath. Overly expensive limited edition models keep the cars out of the hands of the real car nuts who really appreciate them for what they are capable of and also take them to the track. Just venting.
I love my SL but my real car lust now belongs to the *** engine slot cars. I got rid of my 997TT last week in favor of a new 997C2S. Gonna make the C2S into my track biatch over the next few months.
If the weather holds tomorrow I am taking the SL55 beast to our Porsche autox at Fort Devens airfield. Should be a real hoot murdering the cones with that 2= ton beast.
+1
Old 06-03-2007, 09:47 PM

SL55, ML500, BMW 530xi
Originally Posted by SL65amg
and a fixed carbon fiber roof that is said to drop atleast 150 kilograms from the weight just by itself.
A fixed CF roof? That will drop much of the allure of the SL to begin with. Of course it will be lighter without the mechnical parts to retract the roof so where's the benefit exactly?

If you can't drop the top then you might as well wait for the Corvette Blue Devil which I'm sure will spank whatever AMG plans on coming out with next (sorry to say but at 650 HP with a 0-60 of 3.0 sec our AMG's don't stand much of a chance).

Last edited by jeanmarc; 06-03-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by jeanmarc
A fixed CF roof? That will drop much of the allure of the SL to begin with. Of course it will be lighter without the mechnical parts to retract the roof so where's the benefit exactly?

If you can't drop the top then you might as well wait for the Corvette Blue Devil which I'm sure will spank whatever AMG plans on coming out with next (sorry to say but at 650 HP with a 0-60 of 3.0 sec our AMG's don't stand much of a chance).
i agree, no amg will ever be a true sport/track car, which is sad b/c thats what started amg
Old 06-03-2007, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Scruffyone
Overly expensive limited edition models keep the cars out of the hands of the real car nuts who really appreciate them for what they are capable of and also take them to the track. Just venting.
we think alike
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-black-series-forum-registry/195283-why.html

congrats on your 997s, i found it to be the perfect compromise between a 996 gt3 and 996tt.

i hope all is well w/ the green monster , sorry about your little accident at the circuit and getting rearended

porsche, there really is no substitute