SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Comand System....Hummmm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55 2002
Comand System....Hummmm

Well after playing with the Comand system I'm not hugely impressed...the sound system is great but...

1. Why no MP3 or Digital Radio.

2. The country disks for the Nav system are ridiculously overpriced...by buying a Garmin or Navman portable system I can get Pan Euro for about $300...to buy the same coverage of disks for my SL55 will cost about $1400.

3. Why force me to use a Nokia phone system? I have an Ericsson T68...it would be easy to make these systems phone Neutral (using some kind of adapter plug)

On the positive side I have to say the sound quality even with the roof down at 1**+ mph (never sure who's reading these things) is great...but I'm not sure how much of this is determined by the head unit.

Does anyone know of anyone who's removed the Comand system and any difficulties attached? I think I may replace it with an MP3/Digital Radio combo (have a JVC in my Jeep...means I can get radio 5 and traffic reports) and get a Garmin Streetpilot III as the Nav system (I can move it to my other cars and use it when I'm travelling in the States).

What's a second hand Comand system worth?

Pauld
Old 10-18-2002, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
Is there an audio input plug? Perhaps you could use an iPod.

The other option is something like a 'phatnoise.' I'm glad to hear that audio with the speed up and the top down is still good.

The other option is to create a custom hard drive based system that integrated with some optional function in the COMAND system.

--Dan
Old 10-18-2002, 08:42 PM

1. Why no MP3 or Digital Radio.

cause the comand system is pretty old (97) and it could not handle the decoding without a HW change and well, the newer MOST technology will support it anyway ..

2. The country disks for the Nav system are ridiculously overpriced...by buying a Garmin or Navman portable system I can get Pan Euro for about $300...to buy the same coverage of disks for my SL55 will cost about $1400.

true ..

3. Why force me to use a Nokia phone system? I have an Ericsson T68...it would be easy to make these systems phone Neutral (using some kind of adapter plug)

not really easy, cause nokia , ericson, .. use different protocols for their interfaces. Therefore you need some different craddles with a mc to traslate the communication protocols. Only way is to do it with blue tooth or infra red.

On the positive side I have to say the sound quality even with the roof down at 1**+ mph (never sure who's reading these things) is great...but I'm not sure how much of this is determined by the head unit.

if a bose is installed its done by the amp, if not its a gal in the comand (or any other MB HU)

Does anyone know of anyone who's removed the Comand system and any difficulties attached? I think I may replace it with an MP3/Digital Radio combo (have a JVC in my Jeep...means I can get radio 5 and traffic reports) and get a Garmin Streetpilot III as the Nav system (I can move it to my other cars and use it when I'm travelling in the States).

.... use an external mp3 player maybe ?
and wait for the sirius sat radio from MB, which will be integrated within the comand MMI
Old 10-19-2002, 02:17 PM

S600L/SL55
Mp3

Pauld,

Inside the glove box, there is an audio input jack as AUX.
It is a typical stereo jack.
One time I tried it with a MP3 player , and satisfied.

You can control the volume on the steering wheel.
To select Aux , you should select SYS at COMMAND.

Now I am looking for how DC power line can be supplied
in the glove box. Maybe from the light inside the box with
some trick on the switch???

Last edited by NightSea; 10-19-2002 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The car doesn't offer bluetooth functionality built-in, does it?

If so that would be absolutely splendid!

--Dan
Old 10-19-2002, 05:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55
According to this the new E will get Bluetooth and MP3

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=bluetooth

I decided to wait for mine until it is available. I have a CLK55 and don't feel like having the same Comand system on the SL55
Old 10-19-2002, 06:05 PM

sl55 2002
Thanks for the info guys.....

I'm a big fan of Bluetooth and WiFi (run 802.11a at home and my phone/thinkpad/ipaq all have BT).

I suppose my perfect solution would be WiFi and BT in the Comand system with an open interface standard so I can integrate something like Road Angel (GPS system to identify Speed Camera locations) and Laser/Radar ECM systems. It's not that I want to drive everywhere like a maniac, it's just that on a clear dry road with good visibility I want to be able to drive the car safely within my limits.

Anyone interested in a project?

Pauld
Old 10-19-2002, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Paul: do you mind explaining the premise of Road Angel for those of us on this side of the pond?

As for BT - which thinkpad has BT? I'm running the T22 built to the max, but I've seen the T30 and love it! IBM by far makes the best laptops. I can't convince myself that the Apple TItanium book, even with linux, would be usable. That and it's a faraday cage.

I'm hoping that the SL55 will offer BT when mine rolls in (I'm still about a year away. Maybe summer next year) - hopefully by then they'll have had time to integrate such things, or an aftermarket solution will be available.

As for these wiring points - it is very nice that MB is offering such features.

--Dan
Old 10-19-2002, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Bobafett

The UK is littered with speed cameras called Gatsos which are said to be there to enhance road safety but are more often placed where the speed limit has been set low and people regularly exceed it. They're an additional form of motoring taxation except if you end up paying this tax, your insurance goes up and if you have more than one a year, you risk a ban.

Not all of them use radar, some use piezo-electric strips across the road and others use licence plate recognition to measure your average speed over a distance.

Hence Road Angel, one of a breed of devices which use a built in GPS receiver to figure out where you are and how fast you are going. Theres an on-board database which you update through a modem or the internet of camera locations, recognised accident black-spots and known locations of frequent police speed traps. As you approach a known camera site, you get warning information in time to check your speed. If you see a new camera site, you press store which alerts them to the new site the next time you connect.

They're not a licence to exceed the speed limit but they do help to protect your licence, hell bent as the police are catching anyone who speeds regardless of the road conditions instead of focussing on bad driving. My MSO was caught by one doing 38 in a 30 limit at 2 in the morning. She now has a Road Angel too.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know what's interesting: Mr. Gatsonides (sp?) used to be a racecar driver himself back in the day. He also invented (and sold to Omega/Longines) those swimming touch-pads, pneumatic-timing sensors, etc. etc.

This road angel is definetly a clever device, but I'd much rather not have gatso cams in the US.

--Dan
Old 10-20-2002, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I wish he had stayed with his racing. He's dead now, some will mourn his passing, but I certainly do not appreciate his legacy to the motoring world.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I remmeber there was an article about him back in the April '97 CAR. One Memorable clip was:

"So have you ever been caught? The old face smiles easily. 'Oh yes. And my wife, my won, my grandsons. We've all been caught by our own equipment.' So you know how we feel. Do you pay the fines happily? 'When I get a summons, I send them a compliments slip - "Congratulations, you have caught the inventor of the Gatsometer camera."' But do you actually get fined? 'No [laughs]. Once I send the money and they send it back.' Right. So you know exactly how we feel..."

Stupid a$$...

--Dan