SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: LSD downside?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55
LSD downside?

So I see lots of endorsements for limited slip differential installations, but I can't help but wonder what negatives need to be considered. After all, if it were all peaches and cream, wouldn't the manufacturer do this for all cars?
With my limited understanding of the engineering involved, here is what I came up with, but please feel free to discount these if they are not valid...
1. Tire wear: I assume there is a cost here, mostly because if the car is better at going straight, it probably will be worse in certain cornering (parking speed and angle) type maneuvers. As such I could envision tire edge wear issues. I recognize that this might be insignificant on any car that is driven a bit harder than you might drive the minivan....
2. Power loss: Are the gears in the LSD more expensive to turn than those in a normal differential?
3. Reliability/longevity. Any issues for either the differential itself, or other elements of the drive train?
4. Other?

Thanks for you comments and thoughts,
Claudio
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Unfortunately I really think it all comes down to cost. When I was over at Kleemann in Co Springs, Brandon had a chance to get inside an AMG65 limited slip diff and said it was just a STUNNING piece of engineering. Very heavy duty, with an incredible innovative design that allows for more tire roll in the corners yet, good lockup on the straights.

You can see how Benz has caved to pressure with the 030 packages being released with newer models that include the LSD at extra cost.

Just my 2 pennies.

**edit, if you are thinking about going LSD, the only way to go is the Quaife. It basically only locks up when it detects spin. Usually in milliseconds so corners and tight turns have no more CLUNK sounds. Evosport is where I bought mine from and LOVE it.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 10-24-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
**edit, if you are thinking about going LSD, the only way to go is the Quaife. It basically only locks up when it detects spin. Usually in milliseconds so corners and tight turns have no more CLUNK sounds. Evosport is where I bought mine from and LOVE it.
+1 on the Quaife. It's working great for me....
Old 10-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
In my years of playing with cars, Quaife is the one to go with.

I have installed them in FWD and RWD cars over many, many years. Instant smooth traction and no reliability problems.

On AMGs, it smoothes out power delivery through corners and makes the car significantly more enjoyable.

With the price of installed unit significantly lower than LSD from major European tuners and even AMG "030" option, Quaife is the first mod I would do to my car.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking

Originally Posted by Vadim@GMGRacing
In my years of playing with cars, Quaife is the one to go with.

I have installed them in FWD and RWD cars over many, many years. Instant smooth traction and no reliability problems.

On AMGs, it smoothes out power delivery through corners and makes the car significantly more enjoyable.

With the price of installed unit significantly lower than LSD from major European tuners and even AMG "030" option, Quaife is the first mod I would do to my car.
Vadim: What does a Quaife + installation cost? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 PM

2007 SL55 Renntech Stage 3
+1 on quaife
Old 10-25-2007, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I got the AMG LSD and I think it's the 1st mod an SL55 deserves.

Or on another note: AMG/MB why are you so cheap not to include an LSD by default!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
I don't think there is a downside to LSD. Except for the cost from the manufacturers point of view. Just get it! U definitely won't regret it. I agree with everyone else, it should absolutley be your first mod!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
sunny could you please let us know what you think of your LSD please and the differences you noticed with it. thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
I am not able to comment on the Quaife LSD, but I hear wonderful things about them and their ability to reduce wheel spin.

I'm going to be completely honest. I am not a LSD guru, but I do know a few things. I have to say it's a pretty decent improvement over stock, but I still have wheel spin whenever I really rip it. After documenting our highway runs with Cylinder Head, we came to a stop at a red light and just for fun, I decided to take the ESP off, and totally smash the pedal. Bear in mind, it was a hot day and after runs up to 155 mph several times, my tires were really hot. I got little to no traction at first. My tail spun out a little, and I was a little bit sideways, but the LSD did do its job, locked up and my car maintained composure and started to run straight. I burned lots of rubber and created a cloud of smoke for the cars behind me....LOL

I'm going to the dyno tomorrow to see how much power I gained over stock. With all the additional HP and TQ, I really needed an LSD. Under normal circumstances, with the Kleemann LSD, I am having a lot less wheel spin from 1st gear on. I also notice great improvement in turns and cornering. To me, what I really wanted out of a LSD is to be able to transmit all the power from the engine to the wheel from a standstill, and not spin out of control. I just want to to hook up and GO! Which it totally does now. From a stop, If I step into the throttle smoothly, and not mash on it, I hook up really well and get great traction. I also wanted the LSD to be able give me more control when im going into a turn or coming out of a turn, or even cornering. When going into a turn and etc....your wheels rotate at different speeds, and most of the times when your driving hard, one wheel will tend to lose traction, so I really wanted the power/tq to be transfered to the other wheel, therefore keeping the car straight.

With my E55 and before the LSD with my SL55, I had absolutley no traction and I'm sure you know just as well as I do. Now, I am getting pretty decent traction. If I told you that I get traction all the time then I would just be lying. Overall, it's a great improvement and I'm happy with it. And, I strongly recommend anyone who is modding their 55k AMG cars to get an LSD.

Hope that helps....
Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Sunny55
I am not able to comment on the Quaife LSD, but I hear wonderful things about them and their ability to reduce wheel spin.

I'm going to be completely honest. I am not a LSD guru, but I do know a few things. I have to say it's a pretty decent improvement over stock, but I still have wheel spin whenever I really rip it. After documenting our highway runs with Cylinder Head, we came to a stop at a red light and just for fun, I decided to take the ESP off, and totally smash the pedal. Bear in mind, it was a hot day and after runs up to 155 mph several times, my tires were really hot. I got little to no traction at first. My tail spun out a little, and I was a little bit sideways, but the LSD did do its job, locked up and my car maintained composure and started to run straight. I burned lots of rubber and created a cloud of smoke for the cars behind me....LOL

I'm going to the dyno tomorrow to see how much power I gained over stock. With all the additional HP and TQ, I really needed an LSD. Under normal circumstances, with the Kleemann LSD, I am having a lot less wheel spin from 1st gear on. I also notice great improvement in turns and cornering. To me, what I really wanted out of a LSD is to be able to transmit all the power from the engine to the wheel from a standstill, and not spin out of control. I just want to to hook up and GO! Which it totally does now. From a stop, If I step into the throttle smoothly, and not mash on it, I hook up really well and get great traction. I also wanted the LSD to be able give me more control when im going into a turn or coming out of a turn, or even cornering. When going into a turn and etc....your wheels rotate at different speeds, and most of the times when your driving hard, one wheel will tend to lose traction, so I really wanted the power/tq to be transfered to the other wheel, therefore keeping the car straight.

With my E55 and before the LSD with my SL55, I had absolutley no traction and I'm sure you know just as well as I do. Now, I am getting pretty decent traction. If I told you that I get traction all the time then I would just be lying. Overall, it's a great improvement and I'm happy with it. And, I strongly recommend anyone who is modding their 55k AMG cars to get an LSD.

Hope that helps....
I Iasked this because i have traction issues :-/.
Some times silly cars get the jump on me while i sit there and wiggle my way through first gear and onto second then catch them up.... i want this power to be put to use! was thinking of geting new tires Toyo T1rs as mine do not seem to be the greatest (Pzero rosso)

Some poeple on here have claimed that the kleeman lsd has done nothing to their times and was more like you people thought it did (in the mind). Time slips do not lie .

and alot have said that it will realy only show it self on cornering and pulling out of twisties fast.

the crowd seems undesided on this. Also i hear that LSD is not an easy instalel

Then you get the is 30% (amg)...60%(kleeman)...100%(Quaife ) locking better and reliable etc.

I read some where here pn the forums,that an AMG spoksmen said that other manufacutes LSD can not work properly with our ESP systems. Not sure which one he was refering to, and claimed that the AMG LSD one was designed to work with the car electroincs.

People then said there is no electroics in LSDs as the are gears...but i think he was refering to esp

now this can be marketing or truth..
you see my dilemah

thanks for the right up though .

Last edited by Zod; 10-26-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking
Are either of the LSD's noisy?

Thanks,
David Shapiro
Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by Zod
I read some where here pn the forums,that an AMG spoksmen said that other manufacutes LSD can not work properly with our ESP systems. Not sure which one he was refering to, and claimed that the AMG LSD one was designed to work with the car electroincs.

People then said there is no electroics in LSDs as the are gears...but i think he was refering to esp
I personally haven't experienced any issues with the ESP and the Quaife LSD. The ESP engages less frequently but it does still engage from time to time. When it does, it functions normally.

Beyond that, I don't see why a 30% lock-up should function better than a 100% lock-up with respect to the ESP. In both cases if the sensors detect wheelspin, ESP engages. If not, not.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM

I have Quaife and notice no problems with ESP. As said it engages less frequently.

No noise with Quaife. Unless you step on it, you will never know it is there. The only reason you know it's there then is because both tires pull.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:13 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Did anyone else just read the thread title and think it meant something else, or was it just me?

I know what a LSD is, it's just kinda funny what the first thing that popped into my mind was...
Old 10-27-2007, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
Did anyone else just read the thread title and think it meant something else, or was it just me?

I know what a LSD is, it's just kinda funny what the first thing that popped into my mind was...
Huh huh. He said LSD

Old 10-27-2007, 07:16 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by sprins
Huh huh. He said LSD

That was pretty cool Beavis...
Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Ok for those that have had LSD done. Have you noticed better dig take offs on normal roads(streets) not tracks?
Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by Zod
Ok for those that have had LSD done. Have you noticed better dig take offs on normal roads(streets) not tracks?
Thanks
Yep. Less wheelspin.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by jmf003
Yep. Less wheelspin.
Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM

Less wheel spin on take off is quite noticeable. Nice be able to actually drift the car too if you want to play around some.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
That was pretty cool Beavis...
LOL....bungholiooooo
Old 10-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by jm55
Less wheel spin on take off is quite noticeable. Nice be able to actually drift the car too if you want to play around some.
I thought LSD prevented the ability to drift?
or have i got it the wrong way around?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Turn off ESP and floor and both tires will spin allowing you to drift. With ESP, you cannot do so. Without LSD, only one tire spins so no drifting. What LSD does is put the power to both tires when it detects spin of one. I have Renntech Stage 3 so if I floor it from a stand still I can get both tires to spin with ESP off.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by jm55
Turn off ESP and floor and both tires will spin allowing you to drift. With ESP, you cannot do so. Without LSD, only one tire spins so no drifting. What LSD does is put the power to both tires when it detects spin of one. I have Renntech Stage 3 so if I floor it from a stand still I can get both tires to spin with ESP off.
Which LSD do you use if you do not mind me asking ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: LSD downside?