SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My SL65 Stolen!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My SL65 Stolen!

Yea, I couldn't believe it either. I parked it up the street from a friends house that was having a party and when I returned 4 hours later she was gone! First thought was that I was off my rocker and parked somewhere else and after I realized I was in the right place the second thought was I some how left the car in neutral and it rolled down the hill..silly I know but I couldn't fathom it being stolen. After my girlfriends sister gave me a few laps around the block it set in. At the police station I started going through all the personal paperwork and items that were in the car as well. What a sick feeling. My friend advised I contact roadside so they can track the car. After 20 min getting to the right person they told me they would contact vehicle recovery and get back to me or the police. Never heard back.

Car has still not been found and my question is... how the hell did they do it and are crews really cruising residential streets looking for these cars? Both keys are accounted for and although it was rather dark on the street I didn't see any signs of broken glass. I can only assume there is some high tech way to crack the car's key code or they are just very efficient and skilled at towing. My insurance company said they have a 3rd party company asses the fair market value so we'll see how that goes. All I can advise is think twice about your parking spots even when in a hurry and possibly consider lowjack.

Last edited by Speed Thrills; 12-20-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
I am extremely sorry to hear about this, I hope you do get your SL65 back and those robbers should be put in jail.

I dont think they use high-tech software to hack into the car as sometimes they might take a long time to steal it and might encounter the owner, I assume they just use the tow truck.

Contact interpol and other means of assistance.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM

SL65 AMG
I thought the new mb's were very hard to steal? I have heard of a few but most dealer ties and they would get a key made.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 PM
DKM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63, 2021 RS6, 2021 Ducati Panigale SP, 2022 Ford F450
If someone wants something bad enough it'll be gone...locks are for honest people. Thieves don't give a crap about locks and security systems.

I don't want to sound lke an ***...I hope you DON"T get your car back, I hope you get a brand new one w/ 0 miles on it.

dkm
Old 12-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by DKM
If someone wants something bad enough it'll be gone...locks are for honest people. Thieves don't give a crap about locks and security systems.

I don't want to sound lke an ***...I hope you DON"T get your car back, I hope you get a brand new one w/ 0 miles on it.

dkm
That is what I have been thinking. Last think I want is a stripped 65 with new parts here and there. I really loved that car and would probably get another right away if it wasn't for the body change coming up. Never had such a versatile and drivable beast. No clue what to get.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:21 PM
DKM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63, 2021 RS6, 2021 Ducati Panigale SP, 2022 Ford F450
Sit on your hands...You don't have to get anything right away. You have other cars to drive. Wait a couple months and with a clear head...pick your new car.

Theres a lot of cool stuff coming out the next few months.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
sorry to hear, hope you get what you want thou, no luck with roadside?

ALi
Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
why didnt you call roadside back?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by goliath27
sorry to hear, hope you get what you want thou, no luck with roadside?

ALi
Well after my initial call I figured I'd let the police and Ins co handle the rest. I have enough to deal with as this is a very busy time at work.

As far as the next car there is just nothing that does it for me right now. The SL65 offers so much it's unfair to look for an equal. I have not yet seen the GTR in person but the numbers it has been putting up almost sounds too good to be true. Might be a fun car to mod. This edmunds review is crazy.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The new ZR-1 is a performance bargain.

I hope this works out and you don't take a hit financially.

Wouldn't be surprised if the car is in a warehouse waiting for the next boat out.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
The new ZR-1 is a performance bargain.

I hope this works out and you don't take a hit financially.

Wouldn't be surprised if the car is in a warehouse waiting for the next boat out.
I hope so as well. It seems they base the value from average cost of similar cars in my area so we'll see.

Has their been any MSRP info on the ZR1?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
sorry man
Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Wow!

I agree w/ the previous poster and believe that the use of a flat bed truck and highly efficient 2-man team (at least; 1 @ the car and 1 @ the tow controls) is to blame for your missing car.

Where your windows tinted?

Unfortunately, chances are your car will either end up in pieces or is being shipped overseas in a sea container.

I hope it all works out and remember that this is an opportunity to discover some kind of silver lining that will assist you in psychologically getting through and over this.

Unscrupulous people suck.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by lexlyf
I agree w/ the previous poster and believe that the use of a flat bed truck and highly efficient 2-man team (at least; 1 @ the car and 1 @ the tow controls) is to blame for your missing car.

Where your windows tinted?

Unfortunately, chances are your car will either end up in pieces or is being shipped overseas in a sea container.

I hope it all works out and remember that this is an opportunity to discover some kind of silver lining that will assist you in psychologically getting through and over this.

Unscrupulous people suck.
All they need is a tow hook and they are off (even if the car isn't on neutral that tow cable is strong enough to pull it up on the bed)...sorry to hear about the loss...*******S!!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM

OO7 CLS63///G55TANK ///S80-T6///R1///R6
Roadside can locate your car anytime. And its impossible for the car to get towed w/alarm trigger unles u had the tow button activated.
I find it hard to believe this story cause its extremely hard to steal these cars and towing it would have alerted roadside and they immediately call the registered number to inform u of the tow.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by SAMSSONZ
Roadside can locate your car anytime. And its impossible for the car to get towed w/alarm trigger unles u had the tow button activated.
I find it hard to believe this story cause its extremely hard to steal these cars and towing it would have alerted roadside and they immediately call the registered number to inform u of the tow.
.............I too find it amazing. But, just to clarify.............you only get the call from roadside if you have subsscribed to teleaid. So, I think they probably towed his SL65 away.

Ted
Old 12-20-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............I too find it amazing. But, just to clarify.............you only get the call from roadside if you have subsscribed to teleaid. So, I think they probably towed his SL65 away.

Ted
+1 hope they don't find it and appraise the car at a decent value
Old 12-20-2007, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Wow buddy I didn't even know this was possible. I figured you could hack NORAD before stealing an SL65. Sorry about the loss of your baby, hope you get a fresh one soon.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry man, question. Were you current on your note? If so call tele-aid back, if not call the bank. Just a thought. Tow truck + battery disconnect = no alarm and no tele-aid.

Last edited by kenstudios; 12-20-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Murcielago, Hummer, Road King Classic
Keep in mind everything and anything can be stolen. Somebody stole a 50 milllion dollar Picaso painting last night, there is nothign that can be done to control it. If they want it bad enough they can get it.

The ONLY thing you can do is to have the best insurance in place and never leave any important personal items in the car.

On the comment about the alarm being triggered, all they have to do is get inside, pop the hood and disconnect the battery. For most cars it will only take a few seconds.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Getting your AMG stolen before the holidays sucks.

Ted is right about Telaid. You need to be subscribed to get the alarm alert notifications and the vehicle recovery.
The question I have is if your not subscribed can they still track the car ?
That may be something that needs to get done ASAP. I wonder if they can track it if the batterys are disconnected too ?

Someone really knew what they were doing and had some ***** to just yank
an SL65 and drag it up a flatbed. Scum.

I put the LowJack with early warning on both my cars. I worry about mine behind my building at work sometimes. But if they do my cell will ring and me and my Sig45 will come out and say hello.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by kalantar
Keep in mind everything and anything can be stolen. Somebody stole a 50 milllion dollar Picaso painting last night, there is nothign that can be done to control it. If they want it bad enough they can get it.

The ONLY thing you can do is to have the best insurance in place and never leave any important personal items in the car.

On the comment about the alarm being triggered, all they have to do is get inside, pop the hood and disconnect the battery. For most cars it will only take a few seconds.
If its like the E55, the battery is in the trunk. If they are parting out out the car or don't mind a little damage they could get in the trunk and disable the battery.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Oh man, this is terrible. Whoever did this is a peice of *****, and I hope they get what they deserve. I know it would be nice to get a new car, but at least for me, once I've been around a car for a while, it kinda grows on you. Best of luck. Hope it works out.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 PM

SL
Originally Posted by Speed Thrills
That is what I have been thinking. Last think I want is a stripped 65 with new parts here and there. I really loved that car and would probably get another right away if it wasn't for the body change coming up. Never had such a versatile and drivable beast. No clue what to get.

insurance will give u a brand new car??? i think they will just give u back the money for what your car is worth now.... right?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 PM

SL
Originally Posted by bltserv

I put the LowJack with early warning on both my cars. I worry about mine behind my building at work sometimes. But if they do my cell will ring and me and my Sig45 will come out and say hello.

that's the stupidest thing a decent man can possibly do... risk ur life for a car??? u ll probably be the one who got killed ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My SL65 Stolen!