SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: March build date..NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500
Question March build date..NEED HELP!

After some dealer shinanagins...finally got a March build date. Now need to finalize options.
Questions:
1. Dealer says do not order tire pressure monitor--says they are too finicky--anyone had any trouble with theirs?
2.Which wheels to order--multi-spoke or 5- spoke. Really, how hard is it to keep the multi-spokes looking clean?
3. Ordering Black exterior with an Ash interior. Should I get aluminum trim or black birdseye maple?
4. Any other helpful sugestions before I finalize a $130,000.00 purchase?
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
My tire pressure monitoring works perfectly and is well worth having on the SL55, especially since there is no spare wheel, plus the importance of correct pressures on a high performance car. You'll kick youself the first time you come out of the office to a completely flat tire which you could have done something about but now all the tire places are closed. Mind you, these tires are not the sort they have on special at Wal-Mart, but at least you would have known it was failing. Of course, if you have a blow out at 150mph, the warning on the in-car display is not going to be your major concern....

I'm pleased with the multi-spokes. To keep them clean, you just have to be prepared to clean them a little and often (or have them cleaned). If you let them "go" for three months, it will be a major job to get them back. I clean mine once a week, using wheel cleaner, a jet wash set to "low" and a cylindrical shaped brush. There's no denying they are more difficult to clean than the 5 spoke but they look great.

I've said it before Mercedes have this uncanny ability to make wood look like plastic, it's too manufactured, not hand-crafted and what grain there is is hidden under layers and layers of lacquer, where the philosophy behind fine furniture it to show the natural wood in all its glory, warts and all and so provide individuality and character to the piece. Wood in Mercedes cars has had all the character surgically removed and what you end up with is rather bland. I'd go for the aluminium which is only available on the SL55, is intended to match the finish of the supercharger under the hood. It looks pretty durable to me, remember the wood lacquer can chip and scratch which will show up more on a dark colour.

Fortunately, in the UK, we can have aluminium or aluminium so that's one less thing to worry about, but I'm more than pleased with it.

The only other advice I would offer is to catch up with your work before the car arrives. Keeping extra busy will take your mind off its arrival, plus you will be getting *nothing* done for the first few weeks of ownership. Your mind will be elsewhere... reading the more than 500 pages of User Manual.

Last edited by blueSL; 11-27-2002 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:09 PM

2001 S500
Thank you for all the advice. I saw one at the dealer today and am switching to Black with the Charcoal interior and Multi-spoke wheels...it was beautiful. I will order the tire pressure monitor and aluminum trim based on your recomendation.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:19 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
blueSL said it all, Thats how I ordered mine, expecting delivery end of January, loaded except for Distronic. As far as I am concerned Multi spoke are the best choice for this car.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:27 PM

2001 S500
Thanks Mookie and blue SL...I ordered every option...have a early March build date. Anyone know if and when Command II is comming?
Old 11-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
BlueSL once agian summed up all my thoughts.

I have the regular stock (IMHO ugly) looking rims for my dads sl500 and i hope he gets some 19's or something lol

but in the meantime i spend about 20 hours total on Sat and Sunday combined taking care of the car. since we bought it i wash and wax it perfectly every little spot on the car. The rims looks perfect! lol

too bad i can't drive or i would get some hydro's and jack up the car so i could take off the rims and thoughly wash them! but alas, i do what i can! lol
Old 11-28-2002, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
That's good, I think Black on Black or Dark Grey (Graphite) is better than Black/Ash. The aluminium highlights in the dark interior will look great too.

I'm confused about the whole Command thing because the S and CL facelift models have a wider 16:9 format screen (where mine is 4:3) but AFAIK, this is not Command II. Richard has said Command II is technically quite different and that scale of change is more likely to be made for a new model year rather than mid-year. If it was a drop-in replacement, it's the sort of change which could be made more easily. So the answer is, I do not know.

vraa, if you want to spend 20 hours a week cleaning my car (!), I'm sure I could arrange a work permit for you here in the UK...
Old 11-28-2002, 10:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
whooo hooo i'm coming soon as i can! lol

but alas.. school , high school, i'm a freshman! it sucks... too much work, not even challenging just time consuming

i wish they would bring back spelling, my spelling is horrendus and i'm at my cousin's so he doesn't even have that IeSpell check thingy!